Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Bill Veeck Book

TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Bill Veeck Book

Post by TeleFrank on Thu May 17, 2012 4:06 pm

New book Bill Veeck Baseball's Greatest Maverick by Paul Dickerson. Just started it and so far it ends up that Veeck's dad Veeck Sr. probably deserves a book of his own. Veeck is such an interesting guy it doesn't surprise me his dad was as well.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Bill Veeck Book

Post by Harry Caray on Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 am

We AGREE....but I'm damned sure Veeck has his detractors at the FANBOY meetings. The same two who hate Dick Allen and want Wilbur Wood honored.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Fri May 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Who possibly hates Dick Allen??

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Fri May 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Bruce Levine had Dickerson on Talking Baseball a few weeks ago. Sounds like a real good book.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Finished the book. About two months ago I reread Veeck as in Wreck. So you might say I had a lot of Veeck on my mind.

Veeck's book is of course an autobiography and since he was a modest guy he doesn't dwell on himself. That's why Baseball's Greatest Maverick is actually a better place to learn about Veeck. Dickerson spends the whole book dwelling on Veeck. Plus he gives you the history around the time when things were going on so you get the background around the actions of Veeck. He also uses memories from people around Veeck so you get a fuller picture of this remarkable man.

I'd totally recommend it. It also makes me proud that he called Chicago home.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:00 am

I met Veeck a few times.
    We used to play 12 inch softball games in Armour Square Park against the Sox front office after Sunday games.
    One Sunday the back gate behind left field swung open as we were playing and Veeck was following a keg of beer he had wheeled out for us.
    He was a real person...a great guy....regaled us with stories until the sun set.
    I was telling a buddy stories last night.
    Veeck had his son Mike "employ" a lot of us Sox Supporters and paid us in BEERS as we stuffed envelopes to mail to fans.
    They were also smart enough to drag our sorry asses out of our seats once in awhile to hand out promotional items that were left over from the day of the promotion. They would hand us 20 plastic batting helmets each and tell us to wander Comiskey Park and give them to kids and thank them for being Sox Fans.
    WE HAD A BLAST!
    The Human Touch vs. the Corporate touch.
    BIG DIFFERENCE!
    Most of the time the team SUCKED during his second ownership, but Veeck and Harry marketed FUN!!!! We had a ton of fun! We were young, we had beer and there were GIRLS!
    The same formula that the Cubs figured out once they were smart enough to employ Harry Caray!
    Caray and Veeck made Comiskey Park the place to be.
    Caray was also the best pitchman Division Street ever had.
    Being a Sox Fan was COOL.....and Frank...back then none of us gave a damn about the Cubs.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:....and Frank...back then none of us gave a damn about the Cubs.

I know I was here as well.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:51 pm

The current President of SFOD should face a recall election for simply parroting Rich Lindberg and trashing Bill Veeck and Richie Allen!!!
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:00 pm

From the Prologue.....Ed Linn of the old Sport Magazine on why the other owners disliked Veeck....."Apparently they hate Veeck because he has always looked upon baseball as a form of entertainment rather than a religious experience".

Can't wait to read the book!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:28 pm