Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Stone on TANK!!!

Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Stone on TANK!!!

Post by Harry Caray on Mon May 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Steve Stone just said on the broadcast that the word around the league is that TANK THE STIFF will swing at just about anything. Also noted the Tankster has 2 whole walks!!!

SPANK WITH TANK!!!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Stone on TANK!!!

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon May 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Considering, Bobby, that most of the goofs on this board know he'll swing at anything, it's not too hard to imagine that word has gotten around the league. I can't imagine how a pitcher would ever throw him a strike.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon May 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Last season we had all the hue and cry to bring up THE TANK to save the season!!!
    A lot of it from Coach!!!

SPANK WITH THE TANK!!!!
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:26 pm

I've been waiting eagerly for the Sox to bring Mitchell up and sent Viciedo back down, never to be seen again.

A couple years ago, when certain coaches were raving about what a stud the Tank was, I pointed out that after 100 at bats, he hadn't drawn a walk yet. Somehow ,in the intervening two years, the geniuses managing the farm system (led by Buddy Bell), failed to help Viciedo correct this little flaw.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 pm

************************************************************************************

He was "can't miss" according to "The Coach" and proof positive of how bad a manager Ozzie was by keeping him in the minors. We heard "Coach" rant endlessly about this for over 3 months.

Post by Guest on Mon May 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:Last season we had all the hue and cry to bring up THE TANK to save the season!!!

SPANK WITH THE TANK!!!!

In defense of my good friend the coach, the 2011 Sox were fielding 4 players that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Cream1953 wrote:A lot of it from Coach!!!
    ************************************************************************************

He was "can't miss" according to "The Coach" and proof positive of how bad a manager Ozzie was by keeping him in the minors. We heard "Coach" rant endlessly about this for over 3 months.
    Ozzie destroyed the season last year by not demanding THE TANK on the team last season and playing THE TANK instead of Juan Pierre!!!!!
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 pm

jfraser375 wrote:I've been waiting eagerly for the Sox to bring Mitchell up and sent Viciedo back down, never to be seen again.

A couple years ago, when certain coaches were raving about what a stud the Tank was, I pointed out that after 100 at bats, he hadn't drawn a walk yet. Somehow ,in the intervening two years, the geniuses managing the farm system (led by Buddy Bell), failed to help Viciedo correct this little flaw.
    Mitchell has cooled somewhat but still is hitting .298 with an OPS of .930. Now has 6 triples so his speed has returned. For now, I think Mitchell and the Sox are better served with him remaining in Birmingham.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 pm

jaywit wrote:
    jfraser375 wrote:I've been waiting eagerly for the Sox to bring Mitchell up and sent Viciedo back down, never to be seen again.

Mitchell has cooled somewhat but still is hitting .298 with an OPS of .930. Now has 6 triples so his speed has returned. For now, I think Mitchell and the Sox are better served with him remaining in Birmingham.

Mitchell is also striking out a ton, so he should fit in very well in this lineup.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm

winstonage wrote:

Mitchell is also striking out a ton, so he should fit in very well in this lineup.

The trait of football players?

Dunn, Bo Jackson were known for football and have prolific K totals. Were other huge K baseball players also touted as football players.

As has been touted for years, hitting the baseball is perhaps the single most difficult thing in sports. Odd that in a game anyone of any size can play and play well that it would have such a difficult integral piece.

In any case, Kenny gets what he pays for, perhaps.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 am

winstonage wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Yes, I saw that too. At this time, I think major league pitching would overwhelm a Mitchell who is striking out a ton at double A. He needs more time in the minors.

Post by Guest on Wed May 09, 2012 7:30 am

Yes, I saw that too. At this time, I think major league pitching would overwhelm a Mitchell who is striking out a ton at double A. He needs more time in the minors.

Agree 1000%. No need to bring up Mitchell who is essentially playing his first full year in proball again. There were statements about giving up "too early" on Santiago as a closer, the same applies to giving up on Tank in May. Besides, even a platoon of Fukedome /Lillibridge would probably fair better, at this time, then rushing Mitchell to the majors.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Wed May 09, 2012 9:50 am

Coach is gone. I have heard NOTHING about Mitchell coming to the Majors.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Wed May 09, 2012 10:57 am

Gordon Beckham wrote:Coach is gone. I have heard NOTHING about Mitchell coming to the Majors.

Bottom line, the Sox have no good options for filling what ought to be a power position in the lineup, so we might be stuck watching Viciedo flail away for quite some time.

Post by Guest on Wed May 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Bottom line, the Sox have no good options for filling what ought to be a power position in the lineup, so we might be stuck watching Viciedo flail away for quite some time.

I know the "fanboy" cracks will be forthcoming, but I am not as down on Tank as I am on Morel. Tank is still young, and with little pro-experience. He should likely be still in the minor leagues but this being the Sox, he isn't. Eventually he will probably be Alexei, who doesnt walk much either, with more power. He'll never be Manny Ramirez, but he should be better than average.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Wed May 09, 2012 2:52 pm

THE KARK wrote:
    Gordon Beckham wrote:Last season we had all the hue and cry to bring up THE TANK to save the season!!!

SPANK WITH THE TANK!!!!

In defense of my good friend the coach, the 2011 Sox were fielding 4 players that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag.
    As I recall it, the Coach was ADAMANT that the 2011 Sox were a fabulous club and would win the coveted A.L. Central by 6 games. UNTIL SOME REALITY SET IN ABOUT LATE AUGUST!!! Very Happy Smile Laughing cheers cheers cheers
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Bottom line, the Sox have no good options for filling what ought to be a power position in the lineup, so we might be stuck watching Viciedo flail away for quite some time.

I know the "fanboy" cracks will be forthcoming, but I am not as down on Tank as I am on Morel. Tank is still young, and with little pro-experience. He should likely be still in the minor leagues but this being the Sox, he isn't. Eventually he will probably be Alexei, who doesnt walk much either, with more power. He'll never be Manny Ramirez, but he should be better than average.

I'm gonna abandon the Morel bandwagon real soon. At first I thought he was just one of those perrenial slow starters. Bue he looks absolutely hopeless at the plate this year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 am