Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

home opener

jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

home opener

Post by jaywit on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 am

A couple of nice things to note: AJ threw out a runner trying to steal and Alexei took the throw standing on top of 2nd base. Peavy looks to have some good stuff left in his arm and should have a good season if he remains healthy, definitely a big if. Excellent jump on the ball and catch by Viciedo in the 7th.

On the other hand, hopefully Konerko will never be required to score from first base again. The ball that AJ hit and the way it got hung up in the right field corner would allow anyone to score even if they were running backwards. Not only did Konerko's lack of speed make it close but he was clearly out on replay. Also, I can't imagine Ohman remaining on the team the entire year. He was shitty last year and seems to be picking up where he left off.

Not so sure of this Tiger team. It was only one game but they look a little shaky in the field. Cabrera is no third baseman any longer, Young in left made a play reminiscent of Carlos Lee. I can't imagine their closer repeating last year and don't think the rest of their bullpen is any better than average. If the AL central field wasn't so shitty, I'm not so sure I wouldn't pick the field against the Tigers.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Re: home opener

Post by frank bonifacic on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:34 pm

jaywit wrote:A couple of nice things to note: AJ threw out a runner trying to steal and Alexei took the throw standing on top of 2nd base. Peavy looks to have some good stuff left in his arm and should have a good season if he remains healthy, definitely a big if. Excellent jump on the ball and catch by Viciedo in the 7th.

On the other hand, hopefully Konerko will never be required to score from first base again. The ball that AJ hit and the way it got hung up in the right field corner would allow anyone to score even if they were running backwards. Not only did Konerko's lack of speed make it close but he was clearly out on replay. Also, I can't imagine Ohman remaining on the team the entire year. He was shitty last year and seems to be picking up where he left off.

Not so sure of this Tiger team. It was only one game but they look a little shaky in the field. Cabrera is no third baseman any longer, Young in left made a play reminiscent of Carlos Lee. I can't imagine their closer repeating last year and don't think the rest of their bullpen is any better than average. If the AL central field wasn't so shitty, I'm not so sure I wouldn't pick the field against the Tigers.

Couple of points. The ball bobble dby Young was affected by the wind. I was in left center and looked at flags after he missed it and they were blowing strongly toward 3rd base line.
    As to Viciedo, that was a bomb -really high and took forever to come down, It was one row behind and about three people over from where I was sitting,.
    For all the bitching we did (me especially) about pussy Rios having to play right field where he was comfortable, it worked out fine. I have no doubt Rios would have got that ball as it caromed back toward him after hitting the wall., That catch and Ramirez/Beckham DP on Cabrerea may have saved the game.
    As to KOnerko, I commented and most of people around me agreed, htat ANYTIME Konerko advances three bases on a SINGLE hit that he should be awarded the base without objection if he gets there within two or three feet of the relay.

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 pm