Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Hahn's to do list

Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Hahn's to do list Empty Hahn's to do list

Post by Son of Ron on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:37 pm

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-have-seven-things-on-to-do-list/c-302104224

Here it is with the KARK's wise crack comments

1. Premium pursuit
    I prefer Harper to Machado.  I think they need the big lefty power bat more.  Either would be a plus.  Neither are probaly coming

2. Gaining greater late-inning leverage
    Given how quickly relievers tend to come and go, I would think a strong pen would be an objective regardless of your short term and long term plans.   whether its to protect a young pitcher or to cement a much needed win...  I'm sure Hahn will add at least one more veteran closer or former closer and that will be a good thng

3. Where does Moncada play?
    Looks like Yoan will be moving to 3B the second Manny ditches his brother in law

4. Deepen the starters
    Just wondering, how many starters has the genius Don Cooper developed in the past 5 years?  How many did not develop?  For an organization that is always suppose to be pitching strong, why does it always seem so weak?  

5. More free agents
    Seems kinda pointless.  White Sox already traded to Melkey Cabrera their way to the playoffs.  Failed then, will fail again.

6. The Abreu/Alonso/Palka mix
    6er of Summer Shandy all are gone by this time next year

7. Prepare for Eloy
    Hopefully his debut is 4/21, Easter Sunday.  What better day for the Saviour to arise.  However the White Sox will probably wait for the homestand so they can have Eloy Day and pack the house so future generations can say they were there when it started.  That would make the debut Friday April 26th

Hahn's to do list Empty Re: Hahn's to do list

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:25 pm

They seem to have a problem putting together the right combination of Young Millionaires.
    Chicago history might bear some of the blame.
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:33 pm

"It has been a productive offseason for the White Sox, with the team trading for a closer in Alex Colome, a starting pitcher in Ivan Nova and a left-handed bat in Yonder Alonso. The White Sox also have added catcher James McCann through free agency. "

If that author thinks this offseason has been "productive" for the White Sox, then God forbid what "unproductive" might mean.    They scuttled Davidson (.8 WAR, 738 OPS) and picked up Alonso (.7 WAR 738 OPS).  And it cost the Sox an OF prospect to do that.    As for Nova, his 4.15-ish ERA is a modest improvement over Shields' mid 4.00 but Nova also ate 40 fewer innings and he too cost the Sox a very young prospect.
    OK, Colome has been a Closer but he's comes at the expense of a young Catcher who's had a 713 and 794 OPS these past two years who's being replaced with McCann who just had a 581 year and has only cracked 700 once in four seasons.

So far I would rate the Sox's moves at best as underwhelming considering the magnitude of the hill they have climb.  At worst, they might prove stupid if the talent they gave up keeps developing and the mediocre vets they acquired end up being one year rentals.  

The trade that sent catcher Omar Narvaez to Seattle brought back Colome as an important high-leverage piece of the White Sox bullpen. But it was a bullpen in need of an overhaul, and Hahn pointed out Colome would not be the last arm added. Look for at least one more veteran reliever to join.>
    "An important high leverage piece" ?  Important for what exactly ?  We're talking a team that lost 100 games last year.  This article reads like all the Sox need is some shoring up here and there and they're right in the thick of things. I would say however that Yonder Alonso, Ivan Nova, Jesus Colome and "one more veteran reliever" PLUS a combo of Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Dallas Kuechel, and Patrick Corbin might move the needle though.  Now those 4 are what I'd call "important high leverage pieces."  
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:35 pm

I agree that this author is a bit coo - coo

These moves marginally improve the team at best.  Any real improvement will need to come from the young bats striking out less and the young arms striking out more

However I think you are fretting over nothing about what the White Sox gave up.  OK Navaerz was a good 2nd stringer.  But he was completely replaceable.  Plus his defense sucked.  If Navaerz is a top bat in your lineup, like 2018, than that lineup ain't going anywhere.  Rosario might develop.  Alex Call won't.

So really, the only danger is if Rosario is the new age Doug Drabek.  Hopefully Nova is better than Roy Smalley.

I'm sticking with my call that 2019 is summer school for the failures of 2018.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 pm