Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Early Look at 2019 lineup

Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Early Look at 2019 lineup Empty Early Look at 2019 lineup

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:34 am

As of 10:30 12/21, both Manny Machado and Bryce Harper are still unsigned.  Other than getting 1 of these two, I really don't see anything changing significantly.  Although OUR White Sox now have Manny Machado's brother inlaw.

C - No major change here.  Only real difference is that I assume Wellington Castillo is done with his drug suspension.  Expect Collins and Zavala to take over by 2020.  Don't be surprised if OUR White Sox find it necessary to replace one or both with an over the hill Jonathan LuCroy in 2022

1B/DH - Abreu/Alonso - Again, no major change.  Alonso appears to be getting the at bats that went to the dearly departed Avisail Garcia and Matt Davidson.  Garcia probably needs a change of scenary.  Davidson is better off in the NL where is can also pitch.  I really hope these two spots have brand new faces next year at this time.

2B/3B - Moncada/Sanchez.  Matt Davidson is no longer part of this mix.  Unless we are in Kansas City, that's addition by subtraction.  Moncada and Sanchez really do need to switch positions.  Sanchez could win a gold glove at 2B.  Moncada needs to work himself just to be average with the glove.  Better off doing that at 3B.  Better off learning 3B now.  Nick Madrigal is probably targeted for AA Birmingham.  If things go well, he is a September call up and starting 2B Opening Day 2020.  Moncada needs to show why he was the #1 prospect in all of baseball, but is in no real danger of losing his job anytime soon.  Position switch, yes.  Job loss, no.  Sanchez needs to build up his trade value since his days are most likely numbered.

SS - Tim Anderson.  Gee, you would think a 20/20 guy would be good offensively.  Since both Madrigal and Sanchez can play shortstop, Anderson could be made trade bait.  Something OUR White Sox just might need to seriously considered next winter.  Especially if Anderson remains  a fantasy league All-Star but a sabermetric dog.

OF - Jiminez, Engel, Palka.  The biggest change will be Jiminez for Garcia.  Assuming his quad is healthy and not just an excuse to keep him off the roster until Easter Sunday.  anyway, Jiminez will play and I don't think anybody is even considering the possibility that he won't perform.  Engel will play about 75% of CF until a real CF can be found.  Luery Garcia is not a real CF.  Luis Alexander Basabe IS, and could be a September callup.  Palka is a platoon DH with no real RH counterpart at this time.  Needs to prove 2018 wan't a fluke.  I look to trade him this winter if by some miracle Bryce Harper is signed.

Summary:  If you are over 30, this should be your last season in a White Sox uniform.  Hopefully you are traded for a real prospect by 7/31.  Under 30, you need to prove 2018 was just growing pains and that you really don't suck that much, but can actually play the game and at the very least, be in the top half of your position.  If I had to make a prediction, Only Jiminez, Machado and Anderson will survive the 2019 season.  And half of that will be by default.

Conclusion:  Right now, at best OUR White Sox have about 1/4 of a long term lineup.  What really needs to happen to get the rebuild going is to have Jiminez win rookie of the year.  Machado and Anderson need to show they are the new Trammell and Whitaker, or at least the poor man's version of Jeter and AROD.  At least two of the group Madrigal, Basabe, and Collins need to earn a September callup and appear ready for 2020.  If OUR White Sox don't have at least 1/2 of a real long term lineup next year at this time, I would consider it another lost, 2018 type season.
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Early Look at 2019 lineup Empty Re: Early Look at 2019 lineup

Post by rmapasad on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:14 pm

1B/DH - Abreu/Alonso - Again, no major change.  Alonso appears to be getting the at bats that went to the dearly departed Avisail Garcia and Matt Davidson.  Garcia probably needs a change of scenary.  Davidson is better off in the NL where is can also pitch.  I really hope these two spots have brand new faces next year at this time.>
    Alonso is LHed hitter and sucks against LHed pitching.  So now McCann and ??? get those AB's.  At least Davidson put up a 882 OPS versus Lefties last year.  Of course you don't hold onto him for the 50-60 games against a LHed opponent SP.   Personally I would have said "adios" to Abreu and kept Davidson.  Abreu is a terrible defensive 1bman and Davidson couldn't have been any worse.  Then maybe had Palka switch to 1b also.  Doubt that a Palka/Davidson combo at 1b/DH would be that much worse than Alonso/Abreu.  Even if Abreu and Alonso put up career years in 2019 that ain't gonna lift the Sox to the 90 win mark.  
    The more I think about it, trying Avi Garcia for one more year wouldn't have been a terrible idea. Yeah, at $ 7 mil that's a lot for one more flyer on him and his plate discipline in 2018 was despicable.  But the HR power finally showed up and he could have played RF for the first month or so while Jiminez is in AAA ostensibly healing his legs.  Then shift him to LF and put Leury on the bench for good.   
    One more thing - Engel.  Maybe if he has 1 more option year left send him back to AAA.  Might have been interesting for the Sox to have taken a flyer on Billy Hamilton (like KC did).  He's a year older and a better defensive CFer than Engel.  Also a lightweight hitter like Engel but at least Hamilton draws some walks and is a much better basestealer.  I'm just not sold on Engel but if there's still a way to keep in the org one more year to have him work on his offense without making him the starting CFer, might have been worth pursuing. 
    Bottom line: I am seeing a lot of Kenny Williams creep back into the Sox's offseason decision making and that's not a good thing.  
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:17 am

rmapasad wrote:1B/DH - Abreu/Alonso - Again, no major change.  Alonso appears to be getting the at bats that went to the dearly departed Avisail Garcia and Matt Davidson.  Garcia probably needs a change of scenary.  Davidson is better off in the NL where is can also pitch.  I really hope these two spots have brand new faces next year at this time.>

Alonso is LHed hitter and sucks against LHed pitching.  So now McCann and ??? get those AB's.  At least Davidson put up a 882 OPS versus Lefties last year.  Of course you don't hold onto him for the 50-60 games against a LHed opponent SP.

??? Isn't that exactly what you do with the RH half of a platoon?

Personally I would have said "adios" to Abreu and kept Davidson.

??? Assume this mean trade.  You aren't suggesting a nontender to Abreu are you???

Abreu is a terrible defensive 1bman and Davidson couldn't have been any worse.  Then maybe had Palka switch to 1b also.  Doubt that a Palka/Davidson combo at 1b/DH would be that much worse than Alonso/Abreu.

I had Palka/Davidson platooning at DH

Even if Abreu and Alonso put up career years in 2019 that ain't gonna lift the Sox to the 90 win mark.  

The more I think about it, trying Avi Garcia for one more year wouldn't have been a terrible idea. Yeah, at $ 7 mil that's a lot for one more flyer on him and his plate discipline in 2018 was despicable.  But the HR power finally showed up and he could have played RF for the first month or so while Jiminez is in AAA ostensibly healing his legs.

Garcia definitely makes more sense that Alonso.  Plus why are we helping Cleveland clear payroll space?  Is Yonder that tight with Manny?

Then shift him to LF and put Leury on the bench for good.   

One more thing - Engel.  Maybe if he has 1 more option year left send him back to AAA.  Might have been interesting for the Sox to have taken a flyer on Billy Hamilton (like KC did).

And just where do you think he could possibly fly to?  This is exactly the type of move you'd be mocking if it actually happened?

He's a year older and a better defensive CFer than Engel.  Also a lightweight hitter like Engel but at least Hamilton draws some walks and is a much better basestealer.  I'm just not sold on Engel but if there's still a way to keep in the org one more year to have him work on his offense without making him the starting CFer, might have been worth pursuing. 

Saying Hamilton is better than Engel is like saying 4 quarters is better than 9 dimes.  true, but your only getting a burger off the $1 menu.  What about the coke and side of fries?!?!?!  the KARK plays Engel because the whole teams sucks and getting a stop gap like Hamilton ain't with it.  Plus I don't believe hamilton is a better CF.  Engel was a gold glove finalist in 2018 and probably wins it if he wasn't viewed as a 4th OF type.  so I live with Engel's grade A defense until viable alternative shows up.  Hopefully Basabe in Sept

Bottom line: I am seeing a lot of Kenny Williams creep back into the Sox's offseason decision making and that's not a good thing.  

The moves this winter are non factors long term, with the possible exception of Garcia, and even that appears to be wishful thinking.

I biggest thing the will effect OUR White Sox long term, other than spending a 1/3 of a billion on a 26 year free agent, is where will Yoan Moncada be playing on opening day.  Better be 3B in my opinion

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:29 am

Get to Glensdale and find out!!!
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:13 am

ARE YOU DRIVING?!?!?!?

CALL UP BLONDY AND WE'LL MAKE IT A 3-SOME

Sponsored content