Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

What does Alonso mean?

Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Re: What does Alonso mean?

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:37 am

alohafri wrote:to use your new favorite word "sophomoric"

He got a "Word a Day" calendar for Christmas. Tomorrow's word is "spell".

I believe I did spell "sophomoric" correctly.

I bet the damn auto correct changed something again on me when I wasn't looking
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:01 am

Well maybe if you would have stressed this instead of claiming signing Familia and Harvey makes more sense than trading for Nova and Colome....

As for the theory that a rebuild means completely avoiding anything old, I do not see how one can completely abstain.  Because veterans can help a rebuilding team.  From mentoring, to providing trade bait midyear, to preventing the team looking like the 1962 Mets.

Plus, I doubt the White Sox really hurt the rebuild with these moves

1) Nova, he just takes innings away from the Manny Banuelos' of the world.  How many of these guys do you have to parade thru the rotation to find one that sticks.  With Kopech hurt and questions regarding the health of Rodon and the effectiveness of Giolito, you need some solid veteran arms.  

2) Colome and McCann for Narvaez.  Your deluding yourself if you think Narvaez was part of the future.  The White Sox sold high for once.  Colome helps because it helps young pitchers to know the bullpen won't blow it for them.  Colome is under control for two seasons and could be some good trade bait.  McCann should also be able to help the young pitching staff.  Besides, who ever heard of building around a platoon catcher?

3) Alonso for Garcia and Davidson.  OK, everybody is scratching their heads over this one.  However, nobody here EVER defended this move.  In fact, I bet this clown gets driven out of Chicago when the G-Spot erupts with a 12,000 person strong chant of WHERE'S YOUR BROTHER IN LAW?

Bottom line, White Sox really didn't give anything up.  No player considered a key building block is losing playing time because of these moves.  But the games still need to be played.  That all said, Alonso does prevent Matt Skole from becoming this year's Dan Palka.  But that's said Dan Palka remains Dan Palka

Last edited by Son of Ron on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:07 am

NICE TO SEE YOU FINALLY ADMIT IT!!!!

In your defense, it is possible that WAR can be mathematically correct.  However that doesn't make platoon catchers more valuable.  It means closers are being under utilized.  Kinda hard to accumulate value in just 60 innings.

BTW, I looked at Mariano Rivera's career WAR.  Best WAR year was his second when he was a setup man going 100+ innings

So I guess its time to remind the board of the KARK's 4 points to winning

4 - man rotations
    3 - catchers
    2 - inning saves
    1 - knuckleballer
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:29 pm

As for the theory that a rebuild means completely avoiding anything old, I do not see how one can completely abstain.  Because veterans can help a rebuilding team.  From mentoring, to providing trade bait midyear, to preventing the team looking like the 1962 Mets.

Having a vet SP eat innings, like Shields did this year, makes sense.  So go out and get a vet FA like Cahill, Tyson Ross, Matt Harvey, Marco Estrada, Gio Gonzalez or Matt Shoemaker to do that.   Plus take a flyer on 28 year old Shelby Miller, who's had his problems but is a live arm . A guy like that might come back.  A few years ago I said the Sox should pick up Nate Eovoldi when he was going to miss a year due to arm surgery and give him a cheap 2-3 yr contract.  This is kind of thing that can pay off - scrounging for guys who are still fairly young but have good talent and are overlooked and cheap because of recent injuries or struggles.  
    I have no objection to Nova himself. He's fine.  It's the idea of giving up a 18 year old with a live arm when the Sox could find someone on the FA wire to do the same thing.  Giving up Rosario may be seen as no big deal as he's years away from the majors and may never make it.   But I recall the same thing being said about an obscure 17 year old (Fernando Tatis Jr) who the Sox coughed up in the Shields trade.   Rebuilding clubs should be TRADING FOR YOUNG TALENT not giving it up.

2) Colome and McCann for Narvaez.  Your deluding yourself if you think Narvaez was part of the future.  The White Sox sold high for once.  Colome helps because it helps young pitchers to know the bullpen won't blow it for them.  Colome is under control for two seasons and could be some good trade bait.  McCann should also be able to help the young pitching staff.  Besides, who ever heard of building around a platoon catcher?   

I don't see Narvaez as someone to "build around" but as a guy that is handy to have around for a position that is hard to find offense at and he's under team control for 4 more years.  Granted, his OPS might drop 50 pts if his BABIP and BA fall back.  But he's always had good OBP (12% BB rate) and his power spike this year might be for real.  So he's not as likely to put up a 583 OPS like the Sox's new backup (McCann) just did.  
    I agree Colome is decent value for him. Except Colome comes with only 2 years of team control.  If the Sox win 73 games in 2019, 83 games in 2020 they still have to address both Closer and Catcher positions to win 93 games in 2021.  This trade hasn't helped do either. Had they hung onto Narvaez through his age 29-30 seasons (i.e, 2021-2022) there's a chance he could have been a solid enough answer to Catcher those years if Collins isn't panning out. 
    BOTTOM LINE: I don't like the idea of a team that is coming off 100 loss season trading away 17 year olds , 24 year olds, and 27 year old guys for average Joe 30-31 year old short-timers as though it's suddenly ready to play win-now in 2019.  

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Alonso for Garcia and Davidson.  OK, everybody is scratching their heads over this one.  However, nobody here EVER defended this move.  In fact, I bet this clown gets driven out of Chicago when the G-Spot erupts with a 12,000 person strong chant of WHERE'S YOUR BROTHER IN LAW? …
    I had a brother-in-law that just passed away whom I liked, but I sure as hell never imagined re-arranging my life and finances because of him when he was alive.   Plus a lot of guys aren't all that fond of their brother in laws.  What are the Sox thinking if this issue even entered the equation ?
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:58 pm

rmapasad wrote:Alonso for Garcia and Davidson.  OK, everybody is scratching their heads over this one.  However, nobody here EVER defended this move.  In fact, I bet this clown gets driven out of Chicago when the G-Spot erupts with a 12,000 person strong chant of WHERE'S YOUR BROTHER IN LAW? …
    I had a brother-in-law that just passed away whom I liked, but I sure as hell never imagined re-arranging my life and finances because of him when he was alive.   Plus a lot of guys aren't all that fond of their brother in laws.  What are the Sox thinking if this issue even entered the equation ?

Roger, I'm sure you are quite successful at whatever you do.  However, I got a whole case of Summer Shandy as well as Modelo & Modelo Negro that claims you cannot demand a 1/3 of a billion dollars over the next decade no matter how great you are in your current profession.

Machado was already moving.  Now its just a question of where.  That said, it will be the number of dollars, not the number of inlaws that will be the deciding factor
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:18 pm

the Sox thinking if this issue even entered the equation ? wrote:

Machado was already moving.  Now its just a question of where.  That said, it will be the number of dollars, not the number of inlaws that will be the deciding factor

If he agrees to play 3b again the Yankees look like a landing spot for him as the Yankees don't like Andujar's defense at 3b.  Wonder what the Sox may have that could pry Andujar loose (let him be the future Sox 1bman).  Alternatively wonder what it would take to get Greg Bird, who's only 26, and is on the outs with NY.  This is the kind of flyer the Sox should be taking rather than dancing with the Yonder Alonsos of this world.
    Phillies are said to be ready to spend "even if it's a bit stupid" (their own words).  They are a player for Manny too. Brewers could be a dark horse as could the Braves.  Really wonder if Sox have the stomach for the $ 250--330 M it's going to take to get Machado or Harper.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Son of Ron wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:Alonso for Garcia and Davidson.  OK, everybody is scratching their heads over this one.  However, nobody here EVER defended this move.  In fact, I bet this clown gets driven out of Chicago when the G-Spot erupts with a 12,000 person strong chant of WHERE'S YOUR BROTHER IN LAW? …

Roger, I'm sure you are quite successful at whatever you do.  However, I got a whole case of Summer Shandy as well as Modelo & Modelo Negro that claims you cannot demand a 1/3 of a billion dollars over the next decade no matter how great you are in your current profession.

Isn't that what Roger just said?
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Nope, not at all

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:26 pm