Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

WHERE IS JAY

alohafri
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: WHERE IS JAY

Post by alohafri on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Son of Ron wrote:
    alohafri wrote:So much anger Kark. I'm no doctor,

BUT YOU PLAYED ONE AS A CHILD!!!

LMAO!!!!

But seriously, what pisses me off is that certain people here are allowed to lie with impunity and never get challenged...

Or am I the only dumb ass that hasn't put Mr Bad Math on ignore...

Regardless, this whole board saw me call it the winter of 2010.  The whole board remembers the story of Kenny giving Jerry two budgets, A-for All in and B for blow it up.  The whole board saw the 2011 White Sox suck and the 2012 White Sox choke up a weak AL Central.  How anybody can claim choice B would have been a bad choice considering the absolute failure of choice A is beyond retarded.

Now I'll admit "B" may have failed as well.  However, its hard to see how it could have been any worse.  Or does the choke of 2012 make up for it all?  BTW, how does Mr Bad Math blow up that dog of a 2012 team?  Who the hell does he think Dunn and Rios and Konerko and Peavy could have been traded for?

Everything pisses you off. I hope you have your cardiologist on speed dial.
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Son of Ron wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:PS, ADAM LAROUCHE OVER ADAM DUNN HAS TO BE THE MOST BLATANT CASE OF MONDAY MORNING QB'ing I HAVE EVER SEEN.  DUNN WAS LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF LAROUCHE THRU 2010. >>
    As I said, both Beltre and LaRoche instead of Dunn might have produced a lot different result in 2011 and particularly 2012.  No disagreement that LaRoche didn't have Dunn's resume in 2011 but he only cost $ 7 mi to Dunn's $ 12 mil that year plus LaRoche signed for only two years.  
    But Beltre's contract with the Rangers was even richer than the contract Dunn received from the White Sox.
    So now you are talking another $10mil.  So these two would not have cost the same as Dunn, which your post somewhat infered.  Or is it implied.
    Again, I fail to see how this shows how I was wrong.  Now your answer is that the White Sox should have spent more than they where willing to spend.  That supports the blow up theory since is is obvious now that the ALL IN was beyond the White Sox price range.  And again, I DID call it at the time.

OK, let's sum it up this way.   Sox had a solid pitching staff to build around in 2010 but came up short due to shitty defense and 4 offensive black holes.  They had to spend a lot more money to fix those problems than they did and they had to spend wisely instead of stupidly on Dunn.   Dunn was dumb even if he had hit well because his defense was terrible when he did don a glove and he filled a spot (DH) that can often be solved fairly cheaply with a platoon. Not so 3b which was bad defensively and offensively.  But even Beltre instead of Dunn wasn't enough.  They still needed a LHed DH type and and a LFer who could hit.  That would have been another $ 15 mil more ( $ 7 LaRoche, $ 8 mil for LFr).  

So if Reinsdorf was unwilling to spend that extra $ 15 mil or so, or alternatively Kenny wasn't clever enough to figure out how to make do on  $120 million budget (he could have let Konerko walk, sign LaRoche for 1b and Beltre for 3b and wound up spending about what Sox did anyway), then I agree win-now was doomed.  If your premise is that the Sox could neither of those things, then I agree might as well blow it up and see what you can do otherwise.   But I still believe the inability to pick the right offensive talent would have carried over to the rebuild and they'd have screwed that up too.
    jaywit
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:50 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:I zone out any of the non-baseball stuff and when I say non-baseball stuff, I'm talking about any in depth discussion of the stats and metrics beyond BA, HR, ERA.  I consider myself enlightened that I now consider OPS greater in importance than BA.  Once in awhile a question will occur to me regarding some of the finer stat analyses and Roger will come up with a useful answer.  That's about it, though.  Rarely, if ever, do I ever see someone remark about a nice play, a nice pitching sequence, a great at bat that ended in an out.  Makes me wonder if anyone is really watching the actual game.

Jay, I think I'd have a fun time watching a game with you.  While I'm kind of a math nerd, I lean toward being more of a fan and an observer of the finer points of the game.  I suppose some of that comes from having a kid that's a pitcher, but there's nothing more fun than seeing and understanding what the pitcher is trying to do to the hitter.  I only met and watched a game with Tim once at a Nomadsfest, but he struck me also as that type of fan.
    I hope to make it back to Chicago during the summer some day and catch a game with you and some of the other guys.  Several years ago I met Aloha and Telefrank while visiting Chicago.   I didn't have a lot of time as I was visiting with my family, too, some of whom I see once a year or less.  But, I make it to live baseball so rarely that when I do, I'm mesmerized by the game and want to take it in....especially since I can't pause and replay if I miss something.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:13 am

jaywit wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:I zone out any of the non-baseball stuff and when I say non-baseball stuff, I'm talking about any in depth discussion of the stats and metrics beyond BA, HR, ERA.  I consider myself enlightened that I now consider OPS greater in importance than BA.  Once in awhile a question will occur to me regarding some of the finer stat analyses and Roger will come up with a useful answer.  That's about it, though.  Rarely, if ever, do I ever see someone remark about a nice play, a nice pitching sequence, a great at bat that ended in an out.  Makes me wonder if anyone is really watching the actual game.

Jay, I think I'd have a fun time watching a game with you.  While I'm kind of a math nerd, I lean toward being more of a fan and an observer of the finer points of the game.  I suppose some of that comes from having a kid that's a pitcher, but there's nothing more fun than seeing and understanding what the pitcher is trying to do to the hitter.  I only met and watched a game with Tim once at a Nomadsfest, but he struck me also as that type of fan.
    I hope to make it back to Chicago during the summer some day and catch a game with you and some of the other guys.  Several years ago I met Aloha and Telefrank while visiting Chicago.   I didn't have a lot of time as I was visiting with my family, too, some of whom I see once a year or less.  But, I make it to live baseball so rarely that when I do, I'm mesmerized by the game and want to take it in....especially since I can't pause and replay if I miss something.

Let us know if you make it and we'll get some tickets.
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:19 am

jaywit wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

First beer is on me.  I'll even let you pick the flavor

BTW, I only do the Ed anger routine on this board.  Even RobZ will tell you I'm a happy go lucky drunk in person.

Heck, I'll even by roger a beer if he promises not to punch me in the face
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:38 am

1)  Look at the 37 years of Reinsdorf.  The answer should be blatantly obvious.  Screwing Up is the Reinsdorf way.

2)  Never claimed the blow up in the winter of 2010 would have yield a World Series winner.  Just pointing out that it was a golden opportunity, make that a unigue opportunity, to rebuild the farm with 11 picks in the first 201.  Good chance they get a top 17 draft pick.  So maybe they take Sonny Gray instead of Keenyn Walker.  The world will never know.

3)  You claim blowing up a team that just misses rarely happens.  How rare is it for a team that just misses to decide what it needs is a 40% payroll increase so it can build around a bunch of guys in their early 30's.  Talk about logical shortcomings....

4)  one thing not mentioned, the 2011 decided to non tender Bobby Jenks and replace him with a rookie.  Letting go of Jenks was the correct decision.  Sergio Santos was a decent closer.  BUT....   WHAT KIND OF ALL IN TEAM DECIDES TO CHASE THE TITLE WITH A ROOKIE CLOSER!!!!
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 am

alohafri wrote:
    Son of Ron wrote:

NOT ME

I go to games to drink beer and gossip.

will be very tough to watch games without the Hawk.  Stone and Bone are like nails on a chalkboard

So you'll be down to seeing two games all season instead of your usual five.

My last game was Opening Day 2016.

Maybe its time to forgive you and that banker buddy of yours.  Stan is now a freshman and we need to see where that lefthanded fastball of his tops out.  spring tryouts for the baseball team will be here soon.  screw that soccer stuff.  Can't believe I let him pout his why into another year of club.  Between him and the wife...

then you wonder why everything pisses me off.
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:48 am

WHY BOTHER

THE BEST WAY TO GO IS TO JUST DROP DEAD.

Worst thing that can happen to a person is to have their body waste away in some hospital or home.  Got to watch that twice with both parents.

Although I must admit that the thought of some hot blonde nurse changing my shit filled diaper is a bit of a turn on....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:21 am