Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

WHERE IS JAY

Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

WHERE IS JAY - Page 2 Empty Re: WHERE IS JAY

Post by Son of Ron on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:07 am

Point is that teams rarely launch rebuilds coming off 88 win seasons unless they're in a unique situation like the 2018 Mariners. 

THE 2010 WHITE SOX WERE ALSO IN A UNIQUE SITUATION!!!!!
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:32 am

So much anger Kark. I'm no doctor, but I would suggest that you go talk to someone about your anger issues, double up on your Xanex, and take a deep breath once in awhile. 

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:54 am

Kark needs to go to the SFOD Christmas Party, take a look around, and count his BLESSINGS!!
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:39 am

alohafri wrote:So much anger Kark. I'm no doctor,

BUT YOU PLAYED ONE AS A CHILD!!!

LMAO!!!!

But seriously, what pisses me off is that certain people here are allowed to lie with impunity and never get challenged...

Or am I the only dumb ass that hasn't put Mr Bad Math on ignore...

Regardless, this whole board saw me call it the winter of 2010.  The whole board remembers the story of Kenny giving Jerry two budgets, A-for All in and B for blow it up.  The whole board saw the 2011 White Sox suck and the 2012 White Sox choke up a weak AL Central.  How anybody can claim choice B would have been a bad choice considering the absolute failure of choice A is beyond retarded.

Now I'll admit "B" may have failed as well.  However, its hard to see how it could have been any worse.  Or does the choke of 2012 make up for it all?  BTW, how does Mr Bad Math blow up that dog of a 2012 team?  Who the hell does he think Dunn and Rios and Konerko and Peavy could have been traded for?
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:42 am

Jack Brickhouse wrote:Kark needs to go to the SFOD Christmas Party, take a look around, and count his BLESSINGS!!

PATERNO'S IS A VERY SMALL JUMP FROM MY GODMOTHER'S HOUSE!!!

CRYING SHAME CREAM ISN'T HERE.

HE'D SIMPLY STATE THE WHITE SOX WOULD SCREW UP ANYTHING THEY WOULD HAVE TRIED AND NOBODY WOULD DISAGREE WITH THAT

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

The intrigue builds!!  Kenny Williams, SFOD HERO, is popping off now!!
    This truly is one of the most dysfunctional sports franchises going.

I find it quite easy to just blame the YOUNG MILLIONAIRES!!
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Son of Ron wrote:
    alohafri wrote:So much anger Kark. I'm no doctor,

Regardless, this whole board saw me call it the winter of 2010.  The whole board remembers the story of Kenny giving Jerry two budgets, A-for All in and B for blow it up.  The whole board saw the 2011 White Sox suck and the 2012 White Sox choke up a weak AL Central.  How anybody can claim choice B would have been a bad choice considering the absolute failure of choice A is beyond retarded.

Now I'll admit "B" may have failed as well.  However, its hard to see how it could have been any worse.  Or does the choke of 2012 make up for it all?  BTW, how does Mr Bad Math blow up that dog of a 2012 team?  Who the hell does he think Dunn and Rios and Konerko and Peavy could have been traded for?

How could a plan that would net the Sox 5 Keenyn Walker type picks in the 2011 draft possibly have gone wrong ?  
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:49 pm

BTW, how does Mr Bad Math blow up that dog of a 2012 team?  Who the hell does he think Dunn and Rios and Konerko and Peavy could have been traded for? >

Peavy was traded in 2013 for Avi Garcia and Frankie Montas.  Although Hahn was GM, Kenny was still pulling strings then.  Shows what kind of "rebuild" the Sox might have been in store for had they decided to trade Buehrle after 2010 season.  
    jaywit
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I zone out any of the non-baseball stuff and when I say non-baseball stuff, I'm talking about any in depth discussion of the stats and metrics beyond BA, HR, ERA.  I consider myself enlightened that I now consider OPS greater in importance than BA.  Once in awhile a question will occur to me regarding some of the finer stat analyses and Roger will come up with a useful answer.  That's about it, though.  Rarely, if ever, do I ever see someone remark about a nice play, a nice pitching sequence, a great at bat that ended in an out.  Makes me wonder if anyone is really watching the actual game.
    Soxillinirob
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 pm

jaywit wrote:I zone out any of the non-baseball stuff and when I say non-baseball stuff, I'm talking about any in depth discussion of the stats and metrics beyond BA, HR, ERA.  I consider myself enlightened that I now consider OPS greater in importance than BA.  Once in awhile a question will occur to me regarding some of the finer stat analyses and Roger will come up with a useful answer.  That's about it, though.  Rarely, if ever, do I ever see someone remark about a nice play, a nice pitching sequence, a great at bat that ended in an out.  Makes me wonder if anyone is really watching the actual game.

Jay, I think I'd have a fun time watching a game with you.  While I'm kind of a math nerd, I lean toward being more of a fan and an observer of the finer points of the game.  I suppose some of that comes from having a kid that's a pitcher, but there's nothing more fun than seeing and understanding what the pitcher is trying to do to the hitter.  I only met and watched a game with Tim once at a Nomadsfest, but he struck me also as that type of fan.
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:42 am

MOOKIE BETTS WAS IN THE 2011 CLASS!!!!!!

SO YOU CLAIM THAT THERE WAS NO BUILDABLE TALENT IS MORE OF YOUR INVENTED NONSENSE.

Truth is, 2011 has yielded plenty of All-Stars OUR White Sox could have built around.

Now whether or not OUR White Sox would have found them is another story.  But even then, the blow up makes more sense.  Keenyn Walker is far cheaper than Adam Dunn.

Besides, how much worse could that last 8 season be had they blown up your phony 2010 juggaraunt.  Best starting my black ass.  Sounds like WAR had one too many 1.8 thrown into it that year.

Bottom line, OUR White Sox decision to go ALL IN was a miserable failure that the team has yet to recover from.  So once again, your claim that is was somehow it was the most logical solution is pure nonsense driven by your ego and inability to admit you may have gotten a premise or three wrong.  For example, not accounting for the obvious logical flaw in the pitching WAR.

So why don't you just admit I called it correctly at the time.  Just like $2 gas
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:15 am

Son of Ron wrote:For example, not accounting for the obvious logical flaw in the pitching WAR.

Let me clarify this before a certain someone takes this statement out of context.

Roger is correct that the 2010 White Sox having the top team pitching WAR.  But here is the flaw.  WAR attempts to remove fielding from pitching.  Meaning pitchers get penalized if they play for good fielding team, and get extra credit if they pitch for bad.  In some ways this kinda makes sense.  As a practical matter, it creates a a freakin' mess.

The 2010 White Sox had bad fielding,  So the 2010 pitching that looks quite average by most other objective measures shots up to #1 in WAR because the bad fielding was adjusted out of the the pitching.  But that bad fielding just doesn't disappear.  It has to be accounted for somewhere.  It looks it is appearing in batting because the 2010 White Sox were 10 in the AL (bottom third) in offensive WAR.  BTW, Roger completely ignored how poorly WAR rated the 2010 White Sox.  It's things like this that make me question his intellectual honesty.

Here's the logical flaw.  Fielding is defense and should not be apart of offensive WAR at the team level.  At the team level, it should be combined with pitching for an overall team defensive WAR.  So now the 2010 White Sox are now 4th at preventing runs.  7th in runs scored, barely above average.  Not #1 and #10 and an Adam Dunn away.
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:17 am

jaywit wrote:I zone out any of the non-baseball stuff and when I say non-baseball stuff, I'm talking about any in depth discussion of the stats and metrics beyond BA, HR, ERA.  I consider myself enlightened that I now consider OPS greater in importance than BA.  Once in awhile a question will occur to me regarding some of the finer stat analyses and Roger will come up with a useful answer.  That's about it, though.  Rarely, if ever, do I ever see someone remark about a nice play, a nice pitching sequence, a great at bat that ended in an out.  Makes me wonder if anyone is really watching the actual game.

NOT ME

I go to games to drink beer and gossip.

will be very tough to watch games without the Hawk.  Stone and Bone are like nails on a chalkboard
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Son of Ron wrote:MOOKIE BETTS WAS IN THE 2011 CLASS!!!!!!
    SO YOU CLAIM THAT THERE WAS NO BUILDABLE TALENT IS MORE OF YOUR INVENTED NONSENSE.
    Truth is, 2011 has yielded plenty of All-Stars OUR White Sox could have built around.
    Now whether or not OUR White Sox would have found them is another story.  But even then, the blow up makes more sense.  Keenyn Walker is far cheaper than Adam Dunn.
    Bottom line, OUR White Sox decision to go ALL IN was a miserable failure that the team has yet to recover from.  So once again, your claim that is was somehow it was the most logical solution is pure nonsense driven by your ego and inability to admit you may have gotten a premise or three wrong.  For example, not accounting for the obvious logical flaw in the pitching WAR.
    So why don't you just admit I called it correctly at the time.  Just like $2 gas

Sox had 5 chances to get Mookie Betts in the 2011 draft and never did. They had the pick RIGHT BEFORE Betts and chose Scott Snodgrass instead.  So the "invented nonsense" is that Sox might landed All Stars.
    Cream of draft crop is top 15 picks -that's where guys like Sale, Fernandez, Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Baines were all snagged. Red Sox, who are good drafters of offensive talent, beat the odds and found good talent below the top 15 picks in 2011 (Bradley, Betts).  From  2000-2013 White Sox were shit drafters of offense 
    (pissed away top 15-20 picks on  Beckham, Anderson, Borchard, Fields).  Besides in 2011, the Sox were into drafting pitchers - next 4 picks after Walker were pitchers.   So Betts wasn't even on their radar.  

This isn't ego - as I said there might have been a case for blowing up things in 2010. Team was weak on defense and had 4 glaring holes on offense.  But there was also a good case for building off the KNOWN good elements of the team (pitching) and fixing the problems.  Adrian Beltre would have solved a defensive and offensive hole at 3b, and also adding Adam LaRoche in 2011 would have been cheaper than Dunn and he still had 4 seasons left before he folded. Those guys probably would have 
    likely have won the Sox the Central in 2012.   Beltre alone (921 OPS and Gold Glove) was 4 wins better than the Sox 3rd basemen that year. 
    Again, I don't fault the strategy of win-now in 2011 but rather the execution of it particularly the choice of Dunn to be the standard bearer for Sox contention. 
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:42 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Son of Ron wrote:MOOKIE BETTS WAS IN THE 2011 CLASS!!!!!!

Sox had 5 chances to get Mookie Betts in the 2011 draft and never did. They had the pick RIGHT BEFORE Betts and chose Scott Snodgrass instead.  So the "invented nonsense" is that Sox might landed All Stars.

HEY MR READING COMPREHENSION!!!  APPARENTLY YOU MISSED THE HIGHLIGHTED PORTION IN RED.  SO THE REAL INVENTED NONSENSE IS HOW YOU DISTORT WHAT I JUST SAID WHILE CHANGING YOUR ORIGINAL ARGUMENT

Cream of draft crop is top 15 picks -that's where guys like Sale, Fernandez, Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Baines were all snagged. Red Sox, who are good drafters of offensive talent, beat the odds and found good talent below the top 15 picks in 2011 (Bradley, Betts).  From  2000-2013 White Sox were shit drafters of offense 
    (pissed away top 15-20 picks on  Beckham, Anderson, Borchard, Fields).  Besides in 2011, the Sox were into drafting pitchers - next 4 picks after Walker were pitchers.   So Betts wasn't even on their radar.  

This isn't ego  LMAO - as I said there might have been a case for blowing up things in 2010. Team was weak on defense and had 4 glaring holes on offense.  But there was also a good case for building off the KNOWN good elements of the team (pitching) and fixing the problems.

YES THERE WHERE GOOD ARGUMENTS BUT SUBSEQUENT EVENTS CLEARLY SHOW THEY WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Adrian Beltre would have solved a defensive and offensive hole at 3b, and also adding Adam LaRoche in 2011 would have been cheaper than Dunn and he still had 4 seasons left before he folded. Those guys probably would have 

likely have won the Sox the Central in 2012.   Beltre alone (921 OPS and Gold Glove) was 4 wins better than the Sox 3rd basemen that year. 
    Again, I don't fault the strategy of win-now in 2011 but rather the execution of it particularly the choice of Dunn to be the standard bearer for Sox contention. 

BUT YOU FAULT THE BLOW UP BECAUSE I CALLED IT AT THE TIME AND WAS PROVEN CORRECT.  SOMETHING YOU AND A FEW OTHERS HERE CAN'T HANDLE.  

PS, ADAM LAROUCHE OVER ADAM DUNN HAS TO BE THE MOST BLATANT CASE OF MONDAY MORNING QB'ing I HAVE EVER SEEN.  DUNN WAS LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF LAROUCHE THRU 2010.
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:

Jay, I think I'd have a fun time watching a game with you.  While I'm kind of a math nerd, I lean toward being more of a fan and an observer of the finer points of the game.  I suppose some of that comes from having a kid that's a pitcher, but there's nothing more fun than seeing and understanding what the pitcher is trying to do to the hitter.  I only met and watched a game with Tim once at a Nomadsfest, but he struck me also as that type of fan.

Despite being a stat nerd I too love watching games in person.  But that's become a very expensive proposition out here.  Our small business used to have season seats for the Dodgers, but it finally got so absurd in the last 4 years we couldn't justify it.
    So will admit that my watching games is only 3-4 times a year when invited by friends who work for bigger companies that have season tickets. At least their seats are really good and their companies pay for them.  Noticed the playoff game we went to this year that parking alone was $ 50. And that was just a first round game. Wow.

Really enjoy ESPN's Plays of the Week and totally got into John Smoltz's commentary on World Series and playoff games this year.  He combines a knowledge of both mechanics and strategy of the game along with more advanced statistical understanding.  

Final comments on stats stuff.  Had no interest in jumping into the discussion when Tom Tango showed up here.  Am both burned out on the OBP/Slug debate and bored with it now. As Tango said, saber guys have moved on from OPS and use w/OBA as the new standard.  That said, I think he was short-sided to discard OPS.  It's taken a while for OPS to catch on to the non-sabermetric community and frankly w/OBA isn't THAT much better ( 3-5% better at predicting runs).  So let people use OPS for a while, which is far better than just BA and RBI's.  Once they finally get defensive metrics right then maybe WAR (which incorporates w/OBA) might catch on.
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Sox had 5 chances to get Mookie Betts in the 2011 draft and never did. They had the pick RIGHT BEFORE Betts and chose Scott Snodgrass instead.

OK, you got me here

However, the blow up plan would have given the White Sox 11 of the first 201 picks.  5 more than they actually had.  Also, I believe the White Sox go 23 instead of 47.  Could have gone higher depending on who signs Konerko.

So who is to say they don't get a Jackie Bradley and or a Sonny Gray or even a Blake Snell.  Not only that, they most likely draft higher in 2011 and 2012.  That along with a a trade of Buehrle that winter.  Who knows, in the reality of the blow up, they might even dump Danks and Floyd the next summer b4 their arms fall off.  

That said, I fully recognize the very realistic possibility that OUR White Sox could still be sucking eggs today, regardless.  However, there is no denying 2011 was a disaster that the White Sox have yet to recover from.  So I consider myself to be 100% correct about blowing up the 2010 team because I called it at the time. 
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 pm

As Tango said, saber guys have moved on from OPS and use w/OBA as the new standard.

what about DRC+?!?!?!?!

But nice to see you admit your hero is capable of a mistake

PS, AB * OBP * SLG = Runs is still a mighty fine stat.  The year of my birth 1965, RC has 632 runs created v 647 actual runs.  2018 is 669 to 656.  Not bad for a simple to remember formula that never ever needs an annual tweaking of coefficients
    Soxillinirob
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:41 pm

rmapasad wrote:

Final comments on stats stuff.  Had no interest in jumping into the discussion when Tom Tango showed up here.  Am both burned out on the OBP/Slug debate and bored with it now. As Tango said, saber guys have moved on from OPS and use w/OBA as the new standard.  That said, I think he was short-sided to discard OPS.  It's taken a while for OPS to catch on to the non-sabermetric community and frankly w/OBA isn't THAT much better ( 3-5% better at predicting runs).  So let people use OPS for a while, which is far better than just BA and RBI's.  Once they finally get defensive metrics right then maybe WAR (which incorporates w/OBA) might catch on.

OBP is flawed, but it's such a nice and easy stat to grab and use, and it incorporates average, OBP and power.  I think I'm going to stick with it, since I can't compute wOBA on the back of a napkin.
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:53 pm

PS, ADAM LAROUCHE OVER ADAM DUNN HAS TO BE THE MOST BLATANT CASE OF MONDAY MORNING QB'ing I HAVE EVER SEEN.  DUNN WAS LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF LAROUCHE THRU 2010. >>
    As I said, both Beltre and LaRoche instead of Dunn might have produced a lot different result in 2011 and particularly 2012.  No disagreement that LaRoche didn't have Dunn's resume in 2011 but he only cost $ 7 mi to Dunn's $ 12 mil that year plus LaRoche signed for only two years.  
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Precisely.  Notice that Dodger Stadium is flashing OPS for every player on its  big scoreboard.   Are the Sox also doing that ?
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

OBP is flawed, but it's such a nice and easy stat to grab and use, and it incorporates average, OBP and power.  I think I'm going to stick with it, since I can't compute wOBA on the back of a napkin.

PLUS YOU NEED TO MEMORIZE A NEW FORMULA EVERY YEAR

OR IS IT TWO FORMULA, ONE FOR EACH LEAGUE

OH WELL, I'M SURE DRC+ WILL SOON MAKE W/OBA OBSOLETE
    Son of Ron
    Son of Ron
    Old Roman Pizza

Post by Son of Ron on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:32 pm

rmapasad wrote:PS, ADAM LAROUCHE OVER ADAM DUNN HAS TO BE THE MOST BLATANT CASE OF MONDAY MORNING QB'ing I HAVE EVER SEEN.  DUNN WAS LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF LAROUCHE THRU 2010. >>
    As I said, both Beltre and LaRoche instead of Dunn might have produced a lot different result in 2011 and particularly 2012.  No disagreement that LaRoche didn't have Dunn's resume in 2011 but he only cost $ 7 mi to Dunn's $ 12 mil that year plus LaRoche signed for only two years.  

But Beltre's contract with the Rangers was even richer than the contract Dunn received from the White Sox.

So now you are talking another $10mil.  So these two would not have cost the same as Dunn, which your post somewhat infered.  Or is it implied.

Again, I fail to see how this shows how I was wrong.  Now your answer is that the White Sox should have spent more than they where willing to spend.  That supports the blow up theory since is is obvious now that the ALL IN was beyond the White Sox price range.  And again, I DID call it at the time.
    rmapasad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Son of Ron wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

PLUS YOU NEED TO MEMORIZE A NEW FORMULA EVERY YEAR

OR IS IT TWO FORMULA, ONE FOR EACH LEAGUE

OH WELL, I'M SURE DRC+ WILL SOON MAKE W/OBA OBSOLETE

Thanks for calling attention to this.  Haven't subscribed to Prospectus for years now (it ain't cheap) so missed this concept.  It's not something that can be done on the back of a napkin either as they adjust for all kinds of stuff (park, quality of pitchers faced and use Statcast batted ball data).  It still seems foggy about the exact formula for computing this. Maybe they want to keep that black box to themselves and just publish results.  
    Interesting that they ran comparisons of straight OPS and w/OBA to runs scored and found not only that OPS was only of minor difference (which I've believed all along) but in some ways bettered w/OBA.  Which essentially means that w/OBA is not the big breakthrough Tango touted although he is awfully good at persuading the sabermetric community that his inventions are the cat's ass.   Just like Bill James did a few decades earlier.   But like Win Shares, which had about a 4-5 year run of glory, I expect that w/OBA might too.  So may this new DRC+.  Sabermetricians tend to cannibalize other sabermetricians' past work to create the latest whiz-bang.  As long as they keep this infighting to themselves and don't cannibalize stuff that the public has now accepted (like OPS) that's fine.  In the meantime, I'll keep using OPS not as an absolute, but as a good general guide.  It works fine for that purpose.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Son of Ron wrote:

NOT ME

I go to games to drink beer and gossip.

will be very tough to watch games without the Hawk.  Stone and Bone are like nails on a chalkboard

So you'll be down to seeing two games all season instead of your usual five.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:49 pm