Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Avi Garcia - Final Re-visit

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Avi Garcia - Final Re-visit

Post by rmapasad on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Yes, this guy has been talked about WAY too much in this folder.  But since Kark doesn't seem to be around much, this stuff probably won't be controversial anymore.

Garcia was shitty in 2018, plain and simple.  He hit a measly .236 with a pathetic .281 OBP.  Garcia apologists could say this was an injury-marred year where he only got 385 PA's and still managed to hit 19 HR's (which would translate to 25-30 over a full season).   Sure, that's a big  improvement over the 17 HR's he had in 2017 over a full season.  But his defense also got worse.  While his hammie problems were partly responsible for that staying healthy is also his job too.  Besides what did his hammie have to do with his K rate being higher and his BB rate lower than his rookie year in 2014 ?  WTF is that about ?  

I think the Sox may have to seriously consider dumping him this winter.  He got $ 6.7 mil in arb this year and despite a crappola season he'd probably get something close to that in 2019.  Where a couple years ago he only cost $ 3 mil to keep and the Sox had no one else to give the job to.  Now with Eloy Jiminez ready to take over RF, Avi's usefulness is in serious doubt.

Sure, with Delmonico being so crappy this year, it's possible the Sox could put Jiminez in LF and keep Garcia in RF.  But is it really worth preserving Avi since he's a free agent after 2019 ?  Do the Sox really think they will sign Avi to a longer deal given that he's only hit well 1 of his 4 seasons here, gets hurt a lot, and his defense is subpar ?  

Again, it's possible for Garcia to pull off another turnaround season especially if the HR power is for real. 
    But he's just as likely to have another shit season like he's had 3 of his 4 years with the Sox.
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Re: Avi Garcia - Final Re-visit

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:35 am

OUR White Sox should have seriously considered making Garcia have his surgery in August so they could have given Eloy Jiminez a nice 6 week try out.

Instead, they risked further complicating Garcia's injury while pissing off their top prospect as a bonus.

I fail to see the point of dumping Garcia now.  Not one hitter on the White Sox with over 100PA had an OPS over 800 in 2018.  So Garcia is far from the worst player on the team.  He is still one of the most physically gifted.  That alone gives him another chance.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 pm

Son of Ron wrote:OUR White Sox should have seriously considered making Garcia have his surgery in August so they could have given Eloy Jiminez a nice 6 week try out.

Instead, they risked further complicating Garcia's injury while pissing off their top prospect as a bonus.

I fail to see the point of dumping Garcia now.  Not one hitter on the White Sox with over 100PA had an OPS over 800 in 2018.  So Garcia is far from the worst player on the team.  He is still one of the most physically gifted.  That alone gives him another chance.

If Jiminez has any complaint about being left in the minors, he should take it up with the CBA. I don't care about ballplayers' "hurt feelings." He is under White Sox control for six years. After that, he can either stay or go. This is no different from the Cubs waiting until early May to bring up Bryant.
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 pm

I believe Kris Bryant has filed a grievance against the Cubs.  I believe another player did as well.  Don't be surprised if Jiminez does the same.

An argument can be made that this is the same as benching a player for the sole purpose of making sure he doesn't make his performance bonus.  The ballclubs have historically lost these type of cases.

Another thing, 7 maybe greater than 6, but 10 or 11 is greater than 7.  My guess is that if Jiminez rivals Frank Thomas, your attitude will be quite different then "he can stay or go".  

Personally, I do not like the White Sox plan to wait until Sunday April 21, 2019 to bring up Jiminez
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Perhaps the Sox will have new ownership by the time Eloy nears free agency.
    This Reinsdorf act is old and stale.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Son of Ron wrote:I believe Kris Bryant has filed a grievance against the Cubs.  I believe another player did as well.  Don't be surprised if Jiminez does the same.

An argument can be made that this is the same as benching a player for the sole purpose of making sure he doesn't make his performance bonus.  The ballclubs have historically lost these type of cases.

Another thing, 7 maybe greater than 6, but 10 or 11 is greater than 7.  My guess is that if Jiminez rivals Frank Thomas, your attitude will be quite different then "he can stay or go".  

Personally, I do not like the White Sox plan to wait until Sunday April 21, 2019 to bring up Jiminez

It's a business. No one stays with one organization their entire career. If he's as good as Frank Thomas, sure, I'd like him to stay. I wish Thomas would have stayed. I wish Buehrle would have stayed. I wish Drake LaRoche would have stayed. But it's a business. Like any other business, no one stays in one spot their entire career. 
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Perhaps the Sox will have new ownership by the time Eloy nears free agency.

If the right numbers hit all weekend long, I'll certainly buy a controlling interest.

Step one. Yuengling replaces Modelo.
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:45 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Son of Ron wrote:I believe Kris Bryant has filed a grievance against the Cubs.  I believe another player did as well.  Don't be surprised if Jiminez does the same.

It's a business. No one stays with one organization their entire career. If he's as good as Frank Thomas, sure, I'd like him to stay. I wish Thomas would have stayed. I wish Buehrle would have stayed. I wish Drake LaRoche would have stayed. But it's a business. Like any other business, no one stays in one spot their entire career. 

Successful businesses take care of key employees

Successful businesses produce a quality product
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Perhaps the Sox will have new ownership by the time Eloy nears free agency.

If the right numbers hit all weekend long, I'll certainly buy a controlling interest.

Just remember you have to to divide the jackpot by 6.

You lose 1/2 to the present value calculation

You lose 1/2 to taxes

You lose 1/2 to your spouse when you divorce her to play with coke and hookers in Vegas.

PS, I believe you only have 60 days to claim the lump sum option
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Don't forget the new stadium in a new town...
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Son of Ron wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

You lose 1/2 to taxes

You lose 1/2 to your spouse when you divorce her to play with coke and hookers in Vegas.

I won't play with coke nor hookers in Vegas. I'm a Pepsi guy anyway. With my half of the lottery winnings and Sarah Michelle Gellar's half of what she has left after giving half to Freddie Prinze, Jr., I think I'll be okay.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Son of Ron wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

You lose 1/2 to taxes

There are financial companies that will buy the annuity from you and give you a grossed up lump sum that is an amount they think is worth it to them.  Probably won't be as much as the amount the state or the lottery company offers for 60 days, but there'd be more than one offer, so you could probably comparison shop and take the best option.
    Son of Ron
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Son of Ron on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:38 am

I checked the rules set by the State of Illinois

1) 60 days to choose the lump sum.  However, I forgot whether you have 6 months or 12 to claim the overall prize

2) 30 pay out if you don't take the lump sum

3) 4-6 weeks to have your claim directly deposited into your account.

And yes Mr RobZ, there is a job waiting for you in Karko Inc when I win Tuesday night

I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:25 pm