Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Batting Coach

Thryan45
    Joe Borchard's Teammate

Batting Coach

Post by Thryan45 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:05 am

Since the Sox lead the league in strikeouts, what does that say for the batting coach?  We need someone who can help Moncada.  Is this batting coach Teflon Don? Sad
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Batting Coach

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am

So far, Moncada's hitting problem is his decision making, whereby he's taking strike 3 too often.  This seems like it might be a conscientious decision by him and his coaches to sacrifice the K's this season in order to better learn to discern the zone.  Maybe next year he's a more informed hitter who knows better how to discern strikes based on having the ability to learn this year.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:04 am

Moncada is one guy. He isn't individually responsible for the Sox setting the new strikeout record. 
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:45 pm

alohafri wrote:Moncada is one guy. He isn't individually responsible for the Sox setting the new strikeout record. 

Sox just have never stressed strike zone judgment in the players they've picked nor the way they teach guys in the minors. This year the Sox were 2nd worst team in majors in chasing pitches out of the strike zone.  The other 3 teams who were also bad at this were Royals, Orioles (both 100+ losers), and Tigers (98 losses).  Needless to say swinging at bad pitches is not a strategy for success.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:00 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    alohafri wrote:Moncada is one guy. He isn't individually responsible for the Sox setting the new strikeout record. 

Sox just have never stressed strike zone judgment in the players they've picked nor the way they teach guys in the minors. This year the Sox were 2nd worst team in majors in chasing pitches out of the strike zone.  The other 3 teams who were also bad at this were Royals, Orioles (both 100+ losers), and Tigers (98 losses).  Needless to say swinging at bad pitches is not a strategy for success.

My absurdly optimistic hope is that they told Moncada to learn the strike zone this year by taking some close pitches and not worrying too much about striking out looking, all for the sake of getting a better handle on knowing the strike zone.  Maybe he's making mental notes and comes into next season better for it.  A guy can wish, can't he?

Thryan45
    Joe Borchard's Teammate

Post by Thryan45 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:47 am

In my post, I used moncada as an example. Sure, I could have picked Davidson, Abreu or the centerfielder.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:00 pm