Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

2018 Draft

Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

2018 Draft

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:11 am

LOVE THIS QUOTE BY TOUR WHITE SOX

Pitcher or hitter is irrelevant at this point. Position is irrelevant at this point," Hostetler said. "Doesn't matter if we have it in the big leagues. Doesn't matter if we have a wealth in the Minors. Doesn't matter if we just drafted it. We are going to take the best guy regardless of position.

Personally, I think this should be the case with every draft.  Get the player with the highest ceilng and let the positions sort themselves out later.

That said, the KARK is on record to say Nick Madrigal is too short to by a MLB star.  No, I have zero proof to backit up.  Just a gut instinct.  and the KARK does have a lot of got.

PS I hope best guy means best BASEBALL player!!!!  Not the best athlete who would probably be better off playing for the Chicago Bears.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Re: 2018 Draft

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 am

Is Murph hosting a Draft Party for SFOD in China Buffet at Elston and Addison?
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:56 am

A true Sox Fan avoids anything on Addison Ave

Except of course of the great campus of Gordon Tech, and Franksville on Harlem
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:22 am

Well the Sox drafted the midget

Hope he does better than Eddie Giddel or Harry Chappas
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:06 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Well the Sox drafted the midget

Hope he does better than Eddie Giddel or Harry Chappas
    Maybe this will help Sox fans feel a little better.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/could-a-5-foot-8-second-baseman-be-drafted-first-overall/
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:04 am

Sorry, but Fangraphs blogs don't do a damn thing for me

Quick, how many White Sox first rounders actually hit worth a damn?!?!?!?!

Let's see, Robin Ventura and Frank Thomas....

Well if we give soon to be Mr 30-30 Tim Anderson the benefit of the doubt....

Anybody else during the Reinsdorf regime?!?!?!?

Hopefully the newly acquired midget will proof the KARK 100% wrong and turn into at least a B+ player
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Steele Walker, a lefthanded leftfielder is OUR White Sox #2 pick, 46 overall.

MLB ranked him #30.

Supposed to be a very solid hitter.  But then, so was Jameson Fisher
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Steele Walker, a lefthanded leftfielder is OUR White Sox #2 pick, 46 overall.

MLB ranked him #30.

But is he tall?
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Sorry, but Fangraphs blogs don't do a damn thing for me

Hopefully the newly acquired midget will proof the KARK 100% wrong and turn into at least a B+ player

Let's see how Madrigal does in pro ball before poo-pooing him on height.  The reigning AL MVP happens to be a 5'7" 2ndbaseman.  
    Gordon Beckham on the other hand supposedly looked like the prototypical 2nd baseman should.  
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:56 pm

When John was not telling us we were JEALOUS OF GORDON, he was telling us Gordon LOOKED LIKE A BALLPLAYER!!
    Damn, the Kenny Williams WIN NOW-RELOAD days were fun on these pages!!
    How about HARVEY saying Gordon should be moved to LF to concentrate ob his POWER!!??
    This kind of stuff was PRECIOUS!!!

Last edited by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Well if we give soon to be Mr 30-30 Tim Anderson the benefit of the doubt....>

Anderson has made some real improvements in his strikeout and walk rate this year.  Those were two things holding him back. He's always had the speed and pop.  Even though his BA is 20 pts. lower his OBP is 20 pts higher which gives him more SB chances.  In fact his BABIP is somewhat unlucky so far, and his overall BA should go up to 260-270 level again when that luck changes.
    All that said, he's still swinging at 40% of pitches which is too high and his LH/RH splits are skewed pretty heavily (876 v. LHers, 705 v. RHers). But the fact that he's progressing in his plate discipline is the good news. He keeps going that direction, a .280/.340/.480 profile looks realistic in the next few years.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:11 pm

The unvarnished truth is when the late great Bel would make some sort of childish statement about the Cubs at a Nomadsfest, you could bet the mortgage there would be 10 times the childish foolishness at any SFOD Meeting!!
    4th grade playground nonsense!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:When John was not telling us we were JEALOUS OF GORDON, he was telling us Gordon LOOKED LIKE A BALLPLAYER!!
    How about HARVEY saying Gordon should be moved to LF to concentrate ob his POWER!!??

Gordon finally played LF this year in AAA for the Mariners !!!!!
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Steele Walker, a lefthanded leftfielder is OUR White Sox #2 pick, 46 overall.

MLB ranked him #30.

But is he tall?

5’11”

SO almost average
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Anderson is in year 3 and has always played everyday

Kinda silly to say anything has held his him back

Looks a lot like normal growth to me

Last edited by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Sorry, but Fangraphs blogs don't do a damn thing for me

Let's see how Madrigal does in pro ball before poo-pooing him on height.  The reigning AL MVP happens to be a 5'7" 2ndbaseman.  
    Gordon Beckham on the other hand supposedly looked like the prototypical 2nd baseman should.  

What can I say

The KARK is shallow

Looks are everything 

Plus I was always told size matters
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 am

Read that some of the so-called experts are proclaiming OUR White Sox as one of the big draft winners. Nick Madrigal is considered the best pure hitter.  #2 pick Walker is considered an absolute Steele.

Let’s hope the KARK singing old Randy Newman tunes to describe the draft proves to be foolish
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:08 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Read that some of the so-called experts are proclaiming OUR White Sox as one of the big draft winners. Nick Madrigal is considered the best pure hitter.  #2 pick Walker is considered an absolute Steele.

Let’s hope the KARK singing old Randy Newman tunes to describe the draft proves to be foolish

Interesting trend in the Sox's drafts in the Hahn era.  Last 5 years, 28 of the top 30 guys drafted by the Sox are college guys.  They are looking for a quicker return on their investment.
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:23 pm

There are other explanations

Like, I bet its tougher to play football when in college on a baseball scholarship
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:48 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:When John was not telling us we were JEALOUS OF GORDON, he was telling us Gordon LOOKED LIKE A BALLPLAYER!!

I thought I'd escaped having to put up with his at bats but the bastard had to come to Seattle.  He still has that same big looping swing.  What's worse, I think Cream is out here somewhere looking for Beckham's mom. 
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 am

jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

I thought I'd escaped having to put up with his at bats but the bastard had to come to Seattle.  He still has that same big looping swing.  What's worse, I think Cream is out here somewhere looking for Beckham's mom. 

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:48 pm

jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

On the bright Jay. You escaped the KARK coming to Spokane Labor Day weekend to see the Sasquatch Conference in Kennieweek.

Waited too long and all the VIP tickets are gone.  No sense going if I can’t hobnob with Bigfoot researchers 

Maybe next year.  First beer on me.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:13 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

On the bright Jay. You escaped the KARK coming to Spokane Labor Day weekend to see the Sasquatch Conference in Kennieweek.

Waited too long and all the VIP tickets are gone.  No sense going if I can’t hobnob with Bigfoot researchers 

Maybe next year.  First beer on me.
    No more VIP tickets in Kennewick?  What does that mean, the Motel 6 was booked?  Geez, if you ever come to the inland Pac NW, pick a better stop than Kennewick.  It's a poor man's Moses Lake and Bobby knows about Moses Lake.

As for the beer, fine by me.  But I can only stand one round of your summer shandy.  2nd round tastes too lemony/syrupy for me.  I get to buy the 2nd and on rounds.
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 am

Of course Kennewick is a dump.  Ever see the people that hunt Bigfoot?  They ain’t all refined like professor Jeff Meldrum.  However, they are still good people even if they make less than what St Charles charges in property taxes.

As for the beer, I also drink PBR and Stroh’s. 
    geek

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:09 am