Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

The "New" Matt Davidson

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

The "New" Matt Davidson

Post by rmapasad on Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 pm

Like every major-league player, Davidson has access to an incredible trove of video. On his iPad he could watch every pitch from his 2017 season and he did. Over the course of several days last October, he watched every pitch from his 2017 season — the video edited to erase the dead time between tosses. He was particularly interested in those 1,014 pitches thrown out of the zone against him and how he reacted. “I looked at all my at-bats last year and kind of realized that there were so many pitches that I had no business in swinging at,” Davidson told FanGraphs. “I’m fine getting beat in the zone. I’ll swing and miss at a pitch that’s in the strike zone. But if a ball is out of the zone, I don’t want to swing at that. I’ve taken some called first strikes that are maybe borderline balls. I would rather do that than swing at a ball out of the zone. That has kind of been my focus.”

Jeff Sullivan wrote about how Davidson was one of the — if not the — most improved hitter in baseball earlier this month. That label is tied largely to gains made in plate discipline. Davidson, who should return from the DL soon, has gone from ranking 153rd in out-of-zone swing rate (33.8%) last season to 18th (21.5%) this season.

Davidson needed a way to create more consistent timing, to consistently begin his swing earlier. Over the winter, he made the short trip to Arizona to work with White Sox minor-league hitting coordinator Mike Gellinger at the club’s facility in Phoenix. When Davidson reaches the on-deck circles he creates a count in his head, “1… 2… 3,” a clock, to sync up with the pitcher’s delivery.   Hitting is timing,” Davidson said. “Last year I struggled a lot with timing. I knew that was happening; I just didn’t know how to get to that spot… [T]hat timing mechanism really helped me to do that, to get that every single [time]. When you are going good, you are seeing it good. How can I manipulate myself to get to that spot every time?”

It appears Davidson has found a way. …

Maybe Davidson's season has some reality to it.  He could always hit HR's.  Doubt with his high K rate that he'll ever hit for much of an average even

if he doesn't swing at as many bad pitches.   But he could be one "salvage" from this year's wreckage. 

Re: The "New" Matt Davidson

Post by Guest on Thu May 31, 2018 5:54 pm

If he walks 80-100 times a year, he doesn’t need much of an average.  260 will be fine

Davidson is looking like what I was hoping Garcia would be.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu May 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:If he walks 80-100 times a year, he doesn’t need much of an average.  260 will be fine

Davidson will be doing well if he turns into Adam Dunn.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:26 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:If he walks 80-100 times a year, he doesn’t need much of an average.  260 will be fine

Davidson will be doing well if he turns into Adam Dunn.

Agreed.  Same HR's, BB's, K's, bad defense but I don't think Davidson will be as good offensively as Dunn at the peak years of 27-29.  Only thing that favors Davidson is he's a DH - meaning he doesn't do the defensive damage that Dunn did playing LF in the National League.

One final word on Dunn.  His 2010 season had a big red flag.  That year he chased 28% of pitches out of the zone v. 19% the year before. His K rate went up and BB rate went down. He hit his usual 38 HR's and batted .260 but the K/BB and chase numbers indicated that he could easily turn into a marginal .210 BA/.320 OBP guy in his 30's.  Exactly what happened. Kenny's eagerness to get a LHed slugger blinded him to a clear problem.

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Talk about revisionist history....

Roger, the ultimate Monday morning QB.  Kenny should have known....

LMAO

Yet Roger poo poo's the KARK's theory that Kenny should have known that 2010 was the team's last hurrah that fell a little short and therefore should have immediately rebuild knowing that they would have had 7 picks in the first two rounds.

Gotta love it.  According to Roger, Kenny should have known about Dunn's bad appendix because of some obscure stat, but trying to squeeze one more year out of his Type A free agents in their mid 30's was uncharted terriority and therefore worth the gamble.

Amazing how Roger proves Mark Twain correct with every post
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:LMAO
    Yet Roger poo poo's the KARK's theory that Kenny should have known that 2010 was the team's last hurrah that fell a little short and therefore should have immediately rebuild knowing that they would have had 7 picks in the first two rounds.

Gotta love it.  According to Roger, Kenny should have known about Dunn's bad appendix because of some obscure stat, but trying to squeeze one more year out of his Type A free agents in their mid 30's was uncharted terriority and therefore worth the gamble.

Amazing how Roger proves Mark Twain correct with every post

So apparently you feel entitled to spin your theories and people should just accept them but others' theories are to be scoffed at.  That Kenny was eager to get Dunn is clear.  He was one of the earliest signers that year. How many other bidders were willing to give Dunn a four year deal ?  No Natl League team wanted him for sure. 
    Dunn's OBP went down 40 pts. in 2010 and that was from chasing more pitches out of the zone.   With a K rate in the 30's he was a huge BA risk. Yeah, his first season was unpredictably horrendous but him being a low 200's hitter throughout his time with the Sox was FORESEEABLE if a GM had paid some heed to these supposedly "obscure" facts of K rate and chase rate. Davidson's transformation this year was due to paying attention to his chasing bad pitches in '17.

As to whether the Sox should have rebuilt after 2010, hard to say.  They were coming off an 88 win season. Other than Freddy, the pitching staff was still pretty young.  Sale had come up that year. Danks, Floyd were mid 20's, Peavy was 29, Buehrle was just 31. Rios, Quentin, and Alexi were late 20's.   Not sure how many GM's would have blown that team up.  Sox were semi-competitive in 2011 and in 2012 held a 3 game lead in 
    mid-Sept. As far as draft picks,the one the Sox gave up to the Nats for signing Dunn went to a guy that was a bust. The first and second round picks the Sox got that year went to Keynyn Walker and Eric Johnson.  So they may not have used additional picks that well anyway. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:26 pm