Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Here's your socialized medicine.

Blondy28
    Roof Shot

Re: Here's your socialized medicine.

Post by Blondy28 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    Blondy28 wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:See, as far as I understand, THAT is rationed care, Pam.

Back when I was in treatment in 2006, I was part of a young women's cancer group (diagnosed under 40), and the message board community was pretty vast...women from all over the world.  None of the women in other countries ever posted questions about how to get their treatment covered...it just was.  But there were daily posts from women in the US about coverage...even for standard of care.  I can still remember the poor young woman whose insurance wouldn't cover the anti-nausea medication for chemo because it wasn't "medically necessary"....and it was about $100/pill, so not exactly something everyone could just pay for out of pocket.

Now many healthcare providers are actually requiring payment in advance.

I get most of my prescriptions with a GoodRX coupon, and I get them from a bunch of different pharmacies, depending on which GoodRx coupon is cheapest.  We used to just get everything from Walgreens.  Aetna doesn't cover two of my prescriptions at all.  

Healthcare here sucks.

YET THE USA HAS THE HIGHEST CANCER SURVIVAL RATE IN THE WORLD

MAYBE ITS YOUR SITUATION THAT SUCKS AND YOU ARE MERELY PROJECTING

Depends the kind of cancer you have.  If I have lung cancer I'm for sure gonna want to be in Japan, and if I have a kid with childhood leukemia, I'm going with Germany.  It appears that the U.S. dominates in asses and boobs.  Still, the survival rates don't really speak to patients being denied anti-nausea medication, nor does it address the fact that the survivors in the U.S. are living in cardboard boxes because they had to file for bankruptcy.  

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/research/articles/concord-2.htm
    Blondy28
    Roof Shot

Post by Blondy28 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Understood

Which is exactly why I am open to a Nationally ran single payer system

If I really were the person some here insist I must be, I’d say “F” you all, free market all the way.  I strongly feel I would come out ahead because I would make sure I’d buy coverage b4 a trip to Disneyworld.

I also realize the above might not be fair to the Blondy’s of the world.  So again, by keeping an open mind and analyzing the pros and cons, I’m probably the rare conservative open to single payer.  And yes, I think there is a conservative argument for this typically left wing position

You have consistently presented this well-reasoned position and I give you credit for that.   I think if free-marketers were remotely honest with themselves, they would admit that there is no reasonable free market solution...otherwise they wouldn't care if there was a public option.
    Blondy28
    Roof Shot

Post by Blondy28 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Understood

Which is exactly why I am open to a Nationally ran single payer system

If I really were the person some here insist I must be, I’d say “F” you all, free market all the way.  I strongly feel I would come out ahead because I would make sure I’d buy coverage b4 a trip to Disneyworld.

I also realize the above might not be fair to the Blondy’s of the world.  So again, by keeping an open mind and analyzing the pros and cons, I’m probably the rare conservative open to single payer.  And yes, I think there is a conservative argument for this typically left wing position

Actually, most right wingers I personally know, after I have some of these same discussions with them, say they'd be open to it if it could be done without a massive tax increase and yada yada yada.  I mean, we pay 1/6 of the freaking GDP in the form of medical costs and insurance premiums.  We'd no longer be paying that 1/6 into the GDP, so we could afford a pretty sizable tax increase I'm thinking.  And yes, there'd be some winners (Blondy) and some losers (me and Kevin, whose quality of service would decrease, possibly), and there'd be people that would lose the benefit at work and not gain back the income.  Of course, a guy like Kevin would gain it back cuz you know damn well that his union would recoup every penny, so that he could afford the tax, so it'd have a net zero or net positive financial effect on him.   

Until the Janus decision and I'm down to making what a cashier at the Jewels makes.

Why would your quality of service decrease?  I mean, I get it that if you had to go to the corner clinic like I would be relegated to do (which would be an upgrade to the fat NOTHING in care I get now), but I would argue that proponents of universal healthcare, like me, believe that any such system would allow for fat cats like you and Kevin to supplement what regular folks like my family would have for care by "buying up".
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu May 03, 2018 7:37 pm

I don't know that it would definitely decrease.  That's why I said "possibly."  I only suggested that because my quality of care couldn't possibly get better, so I figure that with more people accessing the system, and the possible occasional increase in wait times, my quality might worsen.  It's a worsening I would accept, since I call that "sharing" and all. 

And yes, I agree that certain jobs would offer a buy up option to "boutique" our coverage.  Not sure I'd pay for it, but if they're offering....
    Blondy28
    Roof Shot

Post by Blondy28 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:I don't know that it would definitely decrease.  That's why I said "possibly."  I only suggested that because my quality of care couldn't possibly get better, so I figure that with more people accessing the system, and the possible occasional increase in wait times, my quality might worsen.  It's a worsening I would accept, since I call that "sharing" and all. 

And yes, I agree that certain jobs would offer a buy up option to "boutique" our coverage.  Not sure I'd pay for it, but if they're offering....

And I know some people argue that doctors' pay would be much lower under universal healthcare, so you'd have lower level of care because fewer people would go into the profession.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Blondy28 wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:I don't know that it would definitely decrease.  That's why I said "possibly."  I only suggested that because my quality of care couldn't possibly get better, so I figure that with more people accessing the system, and the possible occasional increase in wait times, my quality might worsen.  It's a worsening I would accept, since I call that "sharing" and all. 

And I know some people argue that doctors' pay would be much lower under universal healthcare, so you'd have lower level of care because fewer people would go into the profession.

I don't really buy the notion of much lower pay.  If they remain private entities, billing the gov't, then their pay ought not change unless the gov't discernibly lowers the allowable billing amounts for different treatment codes.  I'd expect SOME reductions, but that would be made up for by all treatment now being paid, rather than some docs treating folks and never getting paid due to lack of insurance or income.  If you now receive payment for any and all treatment rendered, you can accept a lower amount of pay for that treatment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:14 am