Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Garcia down, Palka UP

Garcia down, Palka UP

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Avisail Garcia has been placed on the 10 day DL

In his place, prospect #30 Dan Palka

Palka is a 26 year old lefty slugger claimed out of the Twins org.  Palka hit 34 HR in 2016 while splitting time between AA & AAA.  He got hurt in 2017 which is why OUR White Sox were able to claim him.

I assume the new OF is now Delmonico, Thompson and Palka.  A 12er of Summer Shandy says none of these three will be in the Opening Day lineup next year.

With a little luck, Palka could be the new Dan Pasqua.  A low average power hitter that draws enough walks to make him useful.  He is a liability with the glove.  Would have trouble beating Paul Konerko in a sprint.  Still, probably more valuable than 1/2 of the pitching staff, but I doubt Cooper gets talked out of letting go of his 13th pitcher.

Re: Garcia down, Palka UP

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Just check Garcia's splits.

Hitting 324 on groundballs, so that clearly isn't the problem

BABIP tells us nothing.  His spread is 53 points from his real average.  So again, BABIP is nothing more than a function of the math.

Maybe the answer is as simple as getting shutdown by good pitching in addition to a snowed out weekend which Steve Stone claims threw both teams into a funk.

Garcia seemed to be breaking out of his slump the past 2 days b4 the injury.  Hopefully he comes back healthy and doesn't try to make up for a lost 2 weeks in just one game.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Just check Garcia's splits.
    Hitting 324 on groundballs, so that clearly isn't the problem
    BABIP tells us nothing.  His spread is 53 points from his real average.  So again, BABIP is nothing more than a function of the math.
    Maybe the answer is as simple as getting shutdown by good pitching in addition to a snowed out weekend which Steve Stone claims threw both teams into a funk.
    Garcia seemed to be breaking out of his slump the past 2 days b4 the injury.  Hopefully he comes back healthy and doesn't try to make up for a lost 2 weeks in just one game.

He isn't hitting the same unbelievable (and unsustainable) .364 on GB's like last year but I agree that hitting .324 on them this year is still pretty good. In fact, it's the only thing saving his ass from being a mid 100's hitter right now.  

His biggest problems are a miserable .067 flyball BA (v. 321 last year) and a declining % of line drives (14% v 20%).  He's still hitting same .700-ish on liners, but not hitting enough of them and his balls in the air aren't going anywhere.

Where are those problems coming from ?  Terrible plate discipline.  Not only has he not drawn a BB all year, he leads the majors in hacking at pitches outside the strike zone (48%).  Which is leading to more strikeouts and not squaring up on balls he does hit.

Pitchers may be content to let Avi hit all the grounders he wants but he's chasing bad pitches at same rate as when he first came to the majors at age 21.   The over-aggressiveness started in Spring Training and maybe the combo of last year's success, ST and his first 3-4 games this year convinced him all he had to do was indiscriminately hack away and everything he put his bat on would find a hole, no matter what.

He pulled his hammie last night and there was no sign of a physical problem before then.  So he has to figure things out when he comes back. Obviously he has plenty of time to turn things around and has enough physical strength to do it. But he can't constantly be reaching for bad pitches like he did as a rookie and expect to be a .300 hitter again.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:48 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Avisail Garcia has been placed on the 10 day DL

In his place, prospect #30 Dan Palka

Palka is a 26 year old lefty slugger claimed out of the Twins org.  Palka hit 34 HR in 2016 while splitting time between AA & AAA.  He got hurt in 2017 which is why OUR White Sox were able to claim him.

I assume the new OF is now Delmonico, Thompson and Palka.  A 12er of Summer Shandy says none of these three will be in the Opening Day lineup next year.

With a little luck, Palka could be the new Dan Pasqua.  A low average power hitter that draws enough walks to make him useful.  He is a liability with the glove.  Would have trouble beating Paul Konerko in a sprint.  Still, probably more valuable than 1/2 of the pitching staff, but I doubt Cooper gets talked out of letting go of his 13th pitcher.

I'll take that bet. They seem to like Thompson for some reason. I think either he or Ribeye will be on the roster come March, 2019.

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 am

NOW YOU WON'T 

SO STOP LYING

YOU JUST WANT TO DELIBERATELY DISAGREE WITH ME

THE KARK IS A SABR GOD

MOMMY!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:30 am