Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

National Debt

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: National Debt

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:24 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:The electoral college may eventually disappear via state legislation.  Half way there already.  Gonna take a sustained blue wave at the state level.

I have a twelver of Yuengling that says not in our lifetime.

Kevin, I don't really, necessarily disagree with you.  I would chalk it up as unlikely, but I remain aware that things can change on a dime.  As of now the interstate compact is at 165 electoral votes committed to a national popular vote.  Need to get to what....270?  They are 61.1% of the way to switching us to a national popular vote.  There are some states that are fairly blue or purple that I could see making the switch in the near future.  states that fall into the maybe someday category would be Oregon, Wisc, Mich, New Hampshire, Virginia and Florida.  If you look it up, there are several states that are in pending status, where it passed in their house, but not their senate, or where it passed in both, but was vetoed.  It's not a huge stretch to imagine it.  

States are allowed to apportion their electoral votes how they like to do it.  They can choose to apportion and/or award them according to overall national popular vote.  Not in the least bit worried about surviving a SCOTUS challenge.  Some states already do oddball things with their electoral votes, such as Kansas and Maine, and Pennsylvania has been considering awarding theirs according to the number of districts that go blue or red.  If they can do that, then a state can give their electorals to whichever candidate gets the most votes.   
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:30 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

Only a fucking idiot would want to do away with the electoral college.

Good chance the supreme court overrules this idiocy

Hot damn.  Then paint me a fucking idiot.  I'm a proud supporter of majority rule.  A vote ought to be a vote.  The only reason the electoral college exists was to placate southern states plantation owners that wanted additional value assigned to their states for their slaves.  Without slavery, we'd have something akin to a true popular vote, or something damn close to it.  There is not now or ever going to be a legitimate argument for votes in Utah or Wyoming having 2 to 3 times the electoral value as a vote in California or Texas.  That's about as unAmerican as anything can get.  

If they want to keep the electoral college, so be it, but they amount of electoral votes given to each state ought to be a true ratio of their population, which it is not.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

Exactly, amazing how Rob, who is supposed to be intelligent, wants the illegal aliens of California to decide our Presidency.

Not sure what I have ever written to give the impression that I support aliens voting, but believe whatever stupid shit helps you sleep at night.

al in cal
    Al Smith's Beer Bath

Post by al in cal on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:I am not actually predicting the end of the electoral college. That should be evident in my comments.  Am only pointing out that a blue wave COULD make a difference if it were a sustained one.

One thing I have learned is that political power is fleeting.  Today's conservative America is tomorrow's dying baby boomers.  What comes next?  Your guess is as good as mine, but there is at least a small chance that there is a growing progressive movement forming.  Again, I ain't predicting it, but there are signs when you look at the results of the special elections over the past several months.  

This isn't about the death of baby boomers. Baby boomers like me were counteracted by an equal amount of asshole democratic asshole Democrats who protested the Vietnam war and who fought us tooth and nail for all of the other bullshit liberal actions that followed. And for all of those damn supposed "progressives" and their movement, there are also a shitload of young American patriots in our armed forces coming aboard and these guys and gals are really going to be the leaders of this country coming forward. Do you really think that these people are going to allow the pussification of America like progressive pukes want to do?

al in cal
    Al Smith's Beer Bath

Post by al in cal on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    al in cal wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:The electoral college may eventually disappear via state legislation.  Half way there already.  Gonna take a sustained blue wave at the state level.

Hilarious. America is overwhelmingly conservative at a state by state basis. It is only states with huge liberal cities in it that would vote for canceling the electoral college. To believe that will ever happen is just delusional. IF anything, after Trump wins his next election, the Republican Party will be much different, particularly in the Senate. The old guard Reps will no longer be there. McCain, Flake, and other Rinos will be gone and a lot of House Reps will also be replaced. And yet, the Senate Dems will be reduced and a couple may actually switch parties when the political reality hits them. The Dems will pick up some seats as long as the current "leadership" is so stupid about what Americans actually believe but forget about taking control in 2018. Your side won't and it will be a landslide for Reps in 2020.

Exactly, amazing how Rob, who is supposed to be intelligent, wants the illegal aliens of California to decide our Presidency.

PS, John Stossel had an excellent article showing how completely off base Hillary is with the retarded claim that "Productive" America voted for her.  People are fleeing blue states in droves because of the progressive idiocy misguided people like Rob like to fantasize about.  Unfortunately, the blue population flight tends to behave like swarming locust.  Voting for the same fucked up ideas in their new home that fucked up their old home.

Yep, Kark. I am so glad that these Dimms think that they understand the population of the United States. I have three kids. They have a lot of friends. All of these young people understand the importance of jobs and what is important in life. None of those kids will vote Democratic even though some of their parents are Democratic.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:10 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-09/u-s-budget-deficit-to-balloon-to-1-trillion-by-2020-cbo-says

"The U.S. budget deficit will surpass $1 trillion by 2020, two years sooner than previously estimated, as tax cuts and spending increases signed by President Donald Trump do little to boost long-term economic growth, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

CBO estimated that real gross domestic product will expand by 3.3 percent in the 2018 calendar year, before slowing to 2.4 percent in 2019 and 1.8 percent in 2020, based on the fourth quarter year-over-year figure. In June, CBO forecast 2 percent growth this year."

That's not so gouda.  Oh wait, lemme guess....Bloomberg is liberal fake news?
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:51 pm

And lest I be accused, predictably, of never caring about debt or deficits until now, that would be bullshit.  I've been repeating for a very long time that from a very general sense, I'm ok with deficits during recessive times.  I expect a fairly balanced budget when we're in the range of 1.5% to 2.8% growth.  I expect a surplus during times of discernible growth above 2.8%.  That is how a smart Congress would try to draw up a properly performing economy.  We could even veer off of that plan a bit here and there if there's a legit attempt to deal with some expensive war, or some discretionary infrastructure spending, but we ought to be looking at something close to a balanced annual budget now, or even a surplus with the economy doing so well right now.  Under Obama and under Clinton this mattered more than anything in the entire world to conservatives.  It was a never-fucking-ending drumbeat.  Now that drumbeat is very much gone.  Predictably.  

al in cal
    Al Smith's Beer Bath

Post by al in cal on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:And lest I be accused, predictably, of never caring about debt or deficits until now, that would be bullshit.  I've been repeating for a very long time that from a very general sense, I'm ok with deficits during recessive times.  I expect a fairly balanced budget when we're in the range of 1.5% to 2.8% growth.  I expect a surplus during times of discernible growth above 2.8%.  That is how a smart Congress would try to draw up a properly performing economy.  We could even veer off of that plan a bit here and there if there's a legit attempt to deal with some expensive war, or some discretionary infrastructure spending, but we ought to be looking at something close to a balanced annual budget now, or even a surplus with the economy doing so well right now.  Under Obama and under Clinton this mattered more than anything in the entire world to conservatives.  It was a never-fucking-ending drumbeat.  Now that drumbeat is very much gone.  Predictably.  

YOUR PARTY sure as hell didn't give a rat's ass about piling up debt. Spare me your "well I didn't agree with them" bullshit. Now we have the dim witted "independent" COngressional Budget Office predicting a trillion dollar deficit and blaming it mostly of the tax cuts? Hilarious bullshit. 

Probably the most out of touch and least technically relevant office in all of Washington is the CBO. If they say something, then it is likely that they are order of magnitude wrong. IF something is supposed to COST let us say $200B, it will likely cost $900B at a minimum. IF Revenue is supposed to bring in $200B, it will likely bring in $1T.

There numbers are based on averages. They have no knowledge of probability and odds. This office should be shitcanned and replaced by a staff manned by statistical theorists from the business community.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 pm