Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Matt Skole

Matt Skole

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 am

https://districtondeck.com/2016/02/20/washington-nationals-player-profile-matt-skole/

The KARK keeps seeing this guy pop up in the box scores.  the above link gives a good history of this no longer young lefty slugger.

Skole turns 29 at the end of July.  The back of his baseball card looks like a poor man's Jim Thome, but in the minors.  

the one thing Skole has always been able to do is draw a walk.  And I could have sworn I heard the other day Farmer claiming he was once the most powerful guy in the Nats farm.

Now that the MOUSE will not be in our house, maybe it opens the door for a guy like Skole.  According to the KARK's calculations, if Davidson plays 3B, that leaves DH wide open for a guys like Gillaspie and Palka and even Wily Garcia.  Might as well throw Matt Skole into the mix.  His walk rates are higher and he can matche, if not exceed their power.  so what if he's older.  He just might be better.

but then, the whole bunch might be screwed by a useless 12th pitcher
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Matt Skole

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 pm

the one thing Skole has always been able to do is draw a walk. >>
    And make a good Snuff...
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:21 pm

rmapasad wrote:the one thing Skole has always been able to do is draw a walk. >>
    And make a good Snuff...
    cheers cheers cheers

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am

I SEE MATT SKOLE HIT ANOTHER HR YESTERDAY.  SO APPARENTLY HE IS STILL IN CAMP

IN 36 AB, HE IS HITTING 333 WITH 2 HR.  6 BB/11 K

UNFORTUNATELY, I DON'T SEE HOW HE BEATS OUT MATT DAVIDSON AS THE DH.

SKOLE HAS SEEN TIME AT BOTH 3B & 1B.  AND MIGHT MAKE A GOOD BENCH GUY.  THAT IS, IF MLB TEAMS STILL BELIEVED BENCHS.

IN THE DAYS OF 13 MAN PITCHING STAFFS, YOUR BENCH IS JUST 3 PLAYERS.  SKOLE CAN'T PLAYER CATCHER OR UP THE MIDDLE.  MEANING HE HAS TO BEAT OUT TYLER SALADINO.  A TASK THAT IS MORE DIFFICULT THAN IT SOUNDS.

ON THE FLIP SIDE, PLAYING EVERYDAY IN AAA MIGHT BE BETTER IN THE LONG RUN.  CRUSHING THE BALL IN CHARLOTTE WILL SHOW OFF HIS TALENTS.  SITTING ON THE BENCH JUST GETS HIM MORE MEAL MONEY THIS SUMMER.

HOWEVER, IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO GETTING AN OPPORTUNITY AND PULLING A NICK DELMONICO ONCE HE GETS IT.

AND CLAIMING SKOLE IS THE ANSWER TO ANYTHING.  BUT HE LOOKS LIKE HE CAN BE A POOR MAN'S JIM THOME WHICH MEANS 5 YEARS OF A 850 OPS AT DH.  THE KARK WILL BE ROOTING THAT HE CAN REACH THAT CEILING
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:53 pm

AND CLAIMING SKOLE IS THE ANSWER TO ANYTHING.  BUT HE LOOKS LIKE HE CAN BE A POOR MAN'S JIM THOME WHICH MEANS 5 YEARS OF A 850 OPS AT DH.  THE KARK WILL BE ROOTING THAT HE CAN REACH THAT CEILING

Matt Smokeless Tobacco will get his shot if Abreu has any injury issues, although it appears that Jose's latest hamstring problem isn't that serious.

al in cal
    Al Smith's Beer Bath

Post by al in cal on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:https://districtondeck.com/2016/02/20/washington-nationals-player-profile-matt-skole/

The KARK keeps seeing this guy pop up in the box scores.  the above link gives a good history of this no longer young lefty slugger.

Skole turns 29 at the end of July.  The back of his baseball card looks like a poor man's Jim Thome, but in the minors.  

the one thing Skole has always been able to do is draw a walk.  And I could have sworn I heard the other day Farmer claiming he was once the most powerful guy in the Nats farm.

Now that the MOUSE will not be in our house, maybe it opens the door for a guy like Skole.  According to the KARK's calculations, if Davidson plays 3B, that leaves DH wide open for a guys like Gillaspie and Palka and even Wily Garcia.  Might as well throw Matt Skole into the mix.  His walk rates are higher and he can matche, if not exceed their power.  so what if he's older.  He just might be better.

but then, the whole bunch might be screwed by a useless 12th pitcher

I agree with you Kark about the useless 12th pitcher, particularly at the beginning of a baseball season what with all of the open dates because of weather. They do need left handed hitting and why not that guy, particularly with Abreu getting dinged up. Give the guy a chance and he might just help the line-up a bit as even just a PH. Adding another pitcher makes sense when summer and good weather arrives but not at the beginning of a season.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:50 am