Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Hope for some of the Sox's mediocrities of today

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Hope for some of the Sox's mediocrities of today

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:21 am

Comparing Tilson to Lorenzo Cain (who really didn't get good in bigs until he was 28) got me thinking about all the recent guys who looked pretty mediocre or even worse before they turned 27, but then went on to have pretty decent or even very good careers after that.  Here's a list that might still give hope for the Tilsons, Yolmers, Leurys, Delmonicos, Davidsons, Ryan Cordells, Casey Gillaspies, Tito Polos, etc.   Not that even half of the current Sox guys on the margins right now will turn into a decent big league regular in the coming years but one or two could.  All the guys had less than 4 cumulative WAR before age 27 and most had their doubters.

Nelson Cruz
    Edgar Martinez
    Josh Donaldson
    Brian Dozier
    David Ortiz
    Lorenzo Cain
    Jayson Werth
    Ben Zobrist
    Jose Bautista
    Vinny Castilla
    Travis Hafner
    Morgan Ensberg
    Brady Anderson
    Randy Winn
    Chris Davis
    Charlie Blackmon
    Eric Karros
    Matt Carpenter
    Brett Butler
    Lance Johnson
    Josh Hamilton
    Alex Gordon
    Brian McRae
    Rusty Greer
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Mike Lowell
    Rich Aurilia
    Todd Frazier
    Shane Mack
    Jorge Posada
    Brian Giles
    Alejandro De Aza
    Jeff Conine
    Brandon Inge
    Gorman Thomas
    Darren Daulton
    Brian Jordan
    Jeromy Burnitz
    Chris Hoiles
    Mickey Tettleton
    Kevin Youkilis
    Corey Koskie

Re: Hope for some of the Sox's mediocrities of today

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am

AND JUST WHERE IS TITO POLO?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:AND JUST WHERE IS TITO POLO?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Played in Fall Ball in Arizona. Not real impressive there though (570 OPS in 30 ABs)Clearly not invited to play in the major league spring training games..Wasn't ranked in MLB's  top 30 White Sox prospects and wasn't ranked in Sickel's top 20 Sox prospects either.  Speedy guy but not a whole lot of power and borderline plate discipline. With a .765 career minor league OPS he's on the margins and probably will need an impressive showing in AA early on to get back on the radar again.
    Not holding my breath but Shane Victorino's profile didn't look a whole lot different at ages 21-22 than Polo's, so way too soon to give up on Tito, IMO.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm

HE COULD STILL BE HURT

DIEGO GORIS APPEARED IN A GAME FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:57 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:AND JUST WHERE IS TITO POLO?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Played in Fall Ball in Arizona. Not real impressive there though (570 OPS in 30 ABs)Clearly not invited to play in the major league spring training games..Wasn't ranked in MLB's  top 30 White Sox prospects and wasn't ranked in Sickel's top 20 Sox prospects either.  Speedy guy but not a whole lot of power and borderline plate discipline. With a .765 career minor league OPS he's on the margins and probably will need an impressive showing in AA early on to get back on the radar again.
    Not holding my breath but Shane Victorino's profile didn't look a whole lot different at ages 21-22 than Polo's, so way too soon to give up on Tito, IMO.

Not to be nitpicky, but Baseball America 2018 Prospect book has Polo at 27.  Also, his OPS that last two seasons were north of 800.  So I would throw away his 641 in 2015 as well has his 4 partials in rookie ball prior to that

Except for Jiminez, I believe Polo will be playing higher level leagues that the other top OF prospects.  I believe OUR White Sox have him targeted for AA.  Polo needs to earn a promotion to AAA by mid season which would put him in a September callup position.  That would put him in position to challenge for CF in 2019, assuming CF is still an issue.

One more thing, Polo was injured late last year.  I wonder if he is hurt again
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

Not to be nitpicky, but Baseball America 2018 Prospect book has Polo at 27.  Also, his OPS that last two seasons were north of 800.  So I would throw away his 641 in 2015 as well has his 4 partials in rookie ball prior to that

Except for Jiminez, I believe Polo will be playing higher level leagues that the other top OF prospects.  I believe OUR White Sox have him targeted for AA.  Polo needs to earn a promotion to AAA by mid season which would put him in a September callup position.  That would put him in position to challenge for CF in 2019, assuming CF is still an issue.

One more thing, Polo was injured late last year.  I wonder if he is hurt again

Sox had him playing CF exclusively in AA where the Yankees and Pirates had him rotating to every spot in the OF.   CF is where he would need to make it because his power isn't enough for either RF or LF. Good speed guy.
    He was on fire his first month in AA with the Yankees (1.005 OPS) but cooled off with Sox (731).  Last year, he was mostly in high A (780 OSP). In that one hot month with the Yankees AA team he had a 9/13 BB-K ratio which is great but it went back to 6/19 when he joined the Sox.  Cutting the K's to below 15% and upping the BB's to about 8 % is the key for him. If he can do those things in AA, use his legs to get on base and create some SB's he may have a future.   But since he's turning 24 this year, he needs to be above 800 in AA to stay relevant.  

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:32 am

Remember, this is the White Sox.  Tools are still heavily weighted.  Sometimes you just need to be the tallest midget.

BTW, he doesn't turn 24 until 8/23.  So he is considered 23 for 2018.  For his sake, he needs to earn a promotion to AAA by the end of the year.

OUR White Sox have a lot of bodies in the outfield now.  Quite possible that if Polo does have a MLB future, its with another org.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pm