Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Leading off at DH

Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Leading off at DH

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 am

Since Lorenzo Cain found a sucker leaving OUR White Sox without a leadoff hitter

How about platooning Omar Narvaez at DH an Narvaez can lead off when he plays.

Narvaez just might be the most patient hitter on the big league roster.  He also hits for a good enough average to have a leadoff worthy OBP

I'd platoon him with Tim Anderson who's leadoff qualifications are that he is skinny, black, and fast.

Another example of the KARK's SABR-genius.  Think a clown like Dan Bernstein would come up with leading off a catcher with a high walk rate?!?!?!!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Leading off at DH

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:42 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    Another example of the KARK's SABR-genius.  Think a clown like Dan Bernstein would come up with leading off a catcher with a high walk rate?!?!?!!

Yes.  Bernstein is a sabermetric nerd, far more prone to set a lineup based on the stats than what his eyes tell him.  
    Mr Modelo
    Joe Borchard's Teammate

Post by Mr Modelo on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 am

It is my opinion that the White Sox should use the DH spot to give at bats to their many prospects, like Casey Gillaspie or Ryan Cordell or Dan Palka.  While a true leadoff hitter is needed, he is not needed now.  
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

Yes.  Bernstein is a sabermetric nerd, far more prone to set a lineup based on the stats than what his eyes tell him.  

Bernstein is an over educated idiot that got lucky enough to find a job where he can laugh at his own jokes.

The KARK will never ever forget the day I told this fool that Kerry Wood couldn't carry Mark Buehrle's jock.  Bernstein exhibit A, Wood can throw a no hitter at any time.  Not that he ever did.  Buehrle threw 2.  

The KARK wagers a 12 pack of Summer Shandy, which I saw at the Jewels over by there, that Bernstein really doesn't understand the math behind the metrics and just spews stats to sounded smarter than he really is.  Although I would hope he has enough brains to look up how to calculate a proper correlation coefficient
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:

The KARK wagers a 12 pack of Summer Shandy, which I saw at the Jewels over by there, that Bernstein really doesn't understand the math behind the metrics and just spews stats to sounded smarter than he really is.  Although I would hope he has enough brains to look up how to calculate a proper correlation coefficient

Maybe the case.  I don't know him personally to know if he's an analytical type, but he sure as hell respects the SABR stats world and seems to adhere to them.  Boers used to laugh at him for it and rely more on his eyes and his baseball sensibilities (like Al in Cal), but Bernstein seems to have an almost unbending allegiance to things like Winshares and Weighted Average.  
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am

The KARK use to be a huge stat guy, as you well know.  So I appreciate real research and resent the hell out of mathematical masterbaters.

for example, Bernstein and whoever his partner is starting discussing the 6 man rotation which supposedly will be tried by the Angels so that their japanese import can pitch and play the field.

Not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen much on rotation size since the early 90's when Craig Wright in his brilliant book Diamond Appraised stated the case for a return to the 4 man.  Bernstein acts like an arrogant asshole whenever a 4 man comes up.

Just did a quick google search.  Seems like there are some studies done, but if OUR White Sox are an example, the results are not really being implemented.  Also, studies are limited because just about every team does the same thing so its extremely tough to compare and contrast.

Now that is real research.  I spent all last summer exposing what is mathematical masterbation, feel free to look it up.  
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm

And another thing.  a 6 man is just plain stupid.  A strict 6 man is 27 starts per starter.  A true Ace should be able to handle 35-40.  Why take away 10 starts from your Ace just to accomodate a guy that is 500 at best.

Yet look at every team.  Seems like all the managers just count 1 to 5.

The KARK would love to see a manager rate his rotation and manage it to maximize the starts of his top pitcher.  Let pitch count dictate days of rest.  Let the 4 and 5 bounce back and forth from the pen to rotation.  Remember Jerry Koosman.  Didn't bother him any.  How is it guys used to go 300 innings now 200 is arm abuse.

Each pitcher is different, therefore each pitcher can handle different loads.  Let the guys that can handle heavy loads handle them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 am