Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Moustakas

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Moustakas

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:31 pm

The blog SOUTHSIDESHOWDOWN.COM opining that Moustakas would be a nice fit on a 1-2 year deal.

On one hand, such a move shares much of the common sense logic of trying to land Lorenzo Cain on a short term deal.  OUR White Sox lack lefthanded power and the heir apparent at the position is a few years away.

On the other hand, what OUR White Sox currently have at 3B is better than what they currently have a CF.  It is also the KARK's opinion that OUR White Sox would be better off moving Moncada to 3B and making Yolmer Sanchez the fulltime 2B.  Sanchez has been a league leading defender everywhere he has played.  2B is his best position.  His bat is good enough to be about league average in OPS.  Add that to gold glove caliber defense and you have what I like to call the team's hidden gem.  Moustakas would just about kill that fantasy.

Some would say the fantasy is already dead.  The White Sox are committed to Yoan Moncada being the White Sox 2B of the future.  Rightly or wrongly, Yolmer Sanchez is more of an after thought than the teams hidden gem.  Plus the team is rumored to be searching for a veteran bat.  When viewed this way, Moustakas would make all the sense in the world on a two year deal.

Now the real question is whether or not he will come that cheap.  Cain got his 5 years.  Yu Darvish got 6.  He turns 30 in September, meaning a real contender could go 3 or 4 years, which would probably blow our White Sox out of the water.

Still, until that happens, dare to dream...
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Moustakas

Post by rmapasad on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:The blog SOUTHSIDESHOWDOWN.COM opining that Moustakas would be a nice fit on a 1-2 year deal.
    On one hand, such a move shares much of the common sense logic of trying to land Lorenzo Cain on a short term deal.  OUR White Sox lack lefthanded power and the heir apparent at the position is a few years away.
    On the other hand, what OUR White Sox currently have at 3B is better than what they currently have a CF.  It is also the KARK's opinion that OUR White Sox would be better off moving Moncada to 3B and making Yolmer Sanchez the fulltime 2B.  Sanchez has been a league leading defender everywhere he has played.  2B is his best position.  His bat is good enough to be about league average in OPS.  Add that to gold glove caliber defense and you have what I like to call the team's hidden gem.  Moustakas would just about kill that fantasy.

Some would say the fantasy is already dead.  The White Sox are committed to Yoan Moncada being the White Sox 2B of the future.  Rightly or wrongly, Yolmer Sanchez is more of an after thought than the teams hidden gem.  Plus the team is rumored to be searching for a veteran bat.  When viewed this way, Moustakas would make all the sense in the world on a two year deal.
    Now the real question is whether or not he will come that cheap.  Cain got his 5 years.  Yu Darvish got 6.  He turns 30 in September, meaning a real contender could go 3 or 4 years, which would probably blow our White Sox out of the water.
    Still, until that happens, dare to dream...

Moustakas is one top FA who may have some serious caving to do. Yeah, he just hit 38 HR's and
    yeah, he's only 29 years old but his defense has slipped and he's never had much of a Bat Avg.

None of the top 8 teams last year need a 3bman except Yankees who have luxury tax problems. 
    Maybe a rebuilding team (like Braves, Tigers or even the Sox) think it's worth going 4-5 years on him as an investment for the future since he's not that old.   That would take some confidence in Moose's abilities that may not be justified though.  He's only been decent in 3 of his 6 full big league seasons. 

So he could twist in the wind a while longer.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 am

It's easy for a blogger to suggest a 2 year deal for someone like Moose, but I hardly think it is steeped in reality.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am

alohafri wrote:It's easy for a blogger to suggest a 2 year deal for someone like Moose, but I hardly think it is steeped in reality.

DITTO FOR US MESSAGE BOARDERS

Razz

Personally, I'd rather hand 2B to the hidden gem for the next five years and move Yoan to 3B

Hey, with a little luck, OUR White Sox can win the 2020 World Series with the infield of Yoan, Yeyson and Yolmer.  The only thing cooler would be if the all Garcia outfield could remain intact.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 pm

alohafri wrote:It's easy for a blogger to suggest a 2 year deal for someone like Moose, but I hardly think it is steeped in reality.

Sure, his market value should be 4-5 years.  Moose's problem now is all contenders are set at 3b and the only one who isn't (Yankees) bust the luxury tax by signing him.  So it's possible he may have to settle.

But even so, what sense is it for Sox to sign him for 2 years if they aren't realistic contenders in next two years ?  4 years makes more sense. Moose is only 29 and Sox's main 3b prospect (Burger) isn't going to be ready until 2020-2021 if he'll be ready at all. 

But that is a bet that Moose will still be worth $19-20 per year in 2020-2021 when he's 31/32 years old. Considering his up and down career, I wouldn't blame the Sox for not taking that bet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:14 pm