Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Moustakas

Moustakas

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:31 pm

The blog SOUTHSIDESHOWDOWN.COM opining that Moustakas would be a nice fit on a 1-2 year deal.

On one hand, such a move shares much of the common sense logic of trying to land Lorenzo Cain on a short term deal.  OUR White Sox lack lefthanded power and the heir apparent at the position is a few years away.

On the other hand, what OUR White Sox currently have at 3B is better than what they currently have a CF.  It is also the KARK's opinion that OUR White Sox would be better off moving Moncada to 3B and making Yolmer Sanchez the fulltime 2B.  Sanchez has been a league leading defender everywhere he has played.  2B is his best position.  His bat is good enough to be about league average in OPS.  Add that to gold glove caliber defense and you have what I like to call the team's hidden gem.  Moustakas would just about kill that fantasy.

Some would say the fantasy is already dead.  The White Sox are committed to Yoan Moncada being the White Sox 2B of the future.  Rightly or wrongly, Yolmer Sanchez is more of an after thought than the teams hidden gem.  Plus the team is rumored to be searching for a veteran bat.  When viewed this way, Moustakas would make all the sense in the world on a two year deal.

Now the real question is whether or not he will come that cheap.  Cain got his 5 years.  Yu Darvish got 6.  He turns 30 in September, meaning a real contender could go 3 or 4 years, which would probably blow our White Sox out of the water.

Still, until that happens, dare to dream...
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Moustakas

Post by rmapasad on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:The blog SOUTHSIDESHOWDOWN.COM opining that Moustakas would be a nice fit on a 1-2 year deal.
    On one hand, such a move shares much of the common sense logic of trying to land Lorenzo Cain on a short term deal.  OUR White Sox lack lefthanded power and the heir apparent at the position is a few years away.
    On the other hand, what OUR White Sox currently have at 3B is better than what they currently have a CF.  It is also the KARK's opinion that OUR White Sox would be better off moving Moncada to 3B and making Yolmer Sanchez the fulltime 2B.  Sanchez has been a league leading defender everywhere he has played.  2B is his best position.  His bat is good enough to be about league average in OPS.  Add that to gold glove caliber defense and you have what I like to call the team's hidden gem.  Moustakas would just about kill that fantasy.

Some would say the fantasy is already dead.  The White Sox are committed to Yoan Moncada being the White Sox 2B of the future.  Rightly or wrongly, Yolmer Sanchez is more of an after thought than the teams hidden gem.  Plus the team is rumored to be searching for a veteran bat.  When viewed this way, Moustakas would make all the sense in the world on a two year deal.
    Now the real question is whether or not he will come that cheap.  Cain got his 5 years.  Yu Darvish got 6.  He turns 30 in September, meaning a real contender could go 3 or 4 years, which would probably blow our White Sox out of the water.
    Still, until that happens, dare to dream...

Moustakas is one top FA who may have some serious caving to do. Yeah, he just hit 38 HR's and
    yeah, he's only 29 years old but his defense has slipped and he's never had much of a Bat Avg.

None of the top 8 teams last year need a 3bman except Yankees who have luxury tax problems. 
    Maybe a rebuilding team (like Braves, Tigers or even the Sox) think it's worth going 4-5 years on him as an investment for the future since he's not that old.   That would take some confidence in Moose's abilities that may not be justified though.  He's only been decent in 3 of his 6 full big league seasons. 

So he could twist in the wind a while longer.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 am

It's easy for a blogger to suggest a 2 year deal for someone like Moose, but I hardly think it is steeped in reality.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am

alohafri wrote:It's easy for a blogger to suggest a 2 year deal for someone like Moose, but I hardly think it is steeped in reality.

DITTO FOR US MESSAGE BOARDERS

Razz

Personally, I'd rather hand 2B to the hidden gem for the next five years and move Yoan to 3B

Hey, with a little luck, OUR White Sox can win the 2020 World Series with the infield of Yoan, Yeyson and Yolmer.  The only thing cooler would be if the all Garcia outfield could remain intact.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 pm

alohafri wrote:It's easy for a blogger to suggest a 2 year deal for someone like Moose, but I hardly think it is steeped in reality.

Sure, his market value should be 4-5 years.  Moose's problem now is all contenders are set at 3b and the only one who isn't (Yankees) bust the luxury tax by signing him.  So it's possible he may have to settle.

But even so, what sense is it for Sox to sign him for 2 years if they aren't realistic contenders in next two years ?  4 years makes more sense. Moose is only 29 and Sox's main 3b prospect (Burger) isn't going to be ready until 2020-2021 if he'll be ready at all. 

But that is a bet that Moose will still be worth $19-20 per year in 2020-2021 when he's 31/32 years old. Considering his up and down career, I wouldn't blame the Sox for not taking that bet.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 am

Eric Hosmer just got 8 years.

So you still think a 2 year deal on the cheap for Moustakas is hardly steeped in reality?!?!?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

Eric Hosmer just got 8 years.

So you still think a 2 year deal on the cheap for Moustakas is hardly steeped in reality?!?!?

Hmmmm. "Hosmer gets 8 years and I'm going to settle for 2"? I stand by my original statement.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Egg zak tally what I thought you would say

You do realize that the privilege of playing at the G-rate park has to be worth 10 mil by itself.  The there is the honor of being a Reinsdorf employee

Money isn’t everything
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Egg zak tally what I thought you would say

You do realize that the privilege of playing at the G-rate park has to be worth 10 mil by itself.  The there is the honor of being a Reinsdorf employee

Money isn’t everything

Well there is that "loyalty to a fault" Reinsdorf thingy. Moose could wind up as a White Sox Ambassador until he is 90.

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Sometimes dreams do come true
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 am

Funniest thing I have read today (from some braniac on WSPP). "What's wrong with getting Moustakas for a one-year deal?"

Well, let's just start with his agent, Scott Boras and finish with Mike Moustakas is not going to sign a one-year contract with anyone, let alone the White Sox.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 am

alohafri wrote:Funniest thing I have read today (from some braniac on WSPP). "What's wrong with getting Moustakas for a one-year deal?"

Well, let's just start with his agent, Scott Boras and finish with Mike Moustakas is not going to sign a one-year contract with anyone, let alone the White Sox.

But isn't the best way to prepare for tommorrow is to do your best today?!?!?!?!

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 am

alohafri wrote:Funniest thing I have read today (from some braniac on WSPP). "What's wrong with getting Moustakas for a one-year deal?"

Sign the Mouse to a one year deal on the cheap in order to get a home town discount on a long term deal next winter

geek

To be serious, the KARK passes on the Mouse, and Corey Dickerson, and any other veteran hitter at this point.

The way I view the lineup, I think all the parts are already in the organization.  The just need to move thru the system.  The Mouse and company would just take away at bats from kids that need to play everyday.  Meaning you'd be paying more in order to hinder the rebuild process.

Now if OUR White Sox had a more realistic shot, then maybe I sacrifice a Gillaspie or a Cordell or a Palka.  But given this piss poor starting rotation, its a waste of time and money.  and its not like there won't be rent a hitters just as good next winter.  but let's see how the Kids do this summer first.

PS, if Jake Arrieta wasn't Cub reject garbage on the verge of collaspe, the KARK would be looking to sign a true #1 now
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:

But isn't the best way to prepare for tommorrow is to do your best today?!?!?!?!

Trying to sign Mike Moustakas to a one-year contract isn't preparing for tomorrow, nor is it doing your best today. It is futility in action and a waste of time.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:11 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

Trying to sign Mike Moustakas to a one-year contract isn't preparing for tomorrow, nor is it doing your best today. It is futility in action and a waste of time.

Saw the saying on a marquee on the way to work

Thought it might be appropriate
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

Saw the saying on a marquee on the way to work

Thought it might be appropriate

It is, but not in the way that has been suggested here. The young players are going to do their best today in order to prepare for tomorrow.

Mike Moustakas is preparing for the past.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm

So are you suggesting that the Mouse follow another trail to the green?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:So are you suggesting that the Mouse follow another trail to the green?

I'm sure the Yankees have deep pockets, and they seem to be Scott Boras's team of choice.

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 am

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:So are you suggesting that the Mouse follow another trail to the green?

I'm sure the Yankees have deep pockets, and they seem to be Scott Boras's team of choice.

https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/02/21/white-sox-rumors-mike-moustakas-longer-think/

The line of the article is

How much do you believe in Yolmer Sanchez and/or Jake Burger

Personally, I flip flop Sanchez and Moncada.  Sanchez can win a gold glove at 2B and he is a better 2B than 3B.  I think it would be easier for Moncada to reach glove gold level defense at 3B than at 2B.  

Of course, all this hinges upon Yolmer being some kind of new age Manny Trillo.  In other words, you don't sell the hidden gem to pay for Mike Moustakas.

Conversely, THE MOUSE makes tons of sense if the best Yolmer can be is the Luis Sojo of the pending White Sox dynasty.

THE KARK STAND WITH YOLMER THE HIDDEN GEM

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 am

QUOTE FROM RICK HAHN:

• White Sox GM Rick Hahn spoke with the media at the team’s Spring Training facility today (links via The Athletic’s James Fegan and the Sun-Times’ Daryl Van Schouwen) and downplayed the possibility of adding a player to the 25-man roster. Hahn acknowledged having conversations with all 29 other clubs as teams still try to set their rosters in a slow-moving offseason, but said that the Sox are “preparing right now [to] choose the 25 from the group that’s in camp.” Asked about the potential of bringing in a designated hitter option (e.g. Corey Dickerson), Hahn spoke of the trickle-down effect such a move would make in evaluating longer-term assets. “[W]hat does that do to Matt Davidson or Nicky Delmonico or Daniel Palka or Casey Gillaspie or guys who conceivably might be picking up at-bats if we stay with the current roster?” Hahn asked rhetorically. “We’re at a stage right now when we talk about development over the course of this year, it’s important for us to know what we have in these guys at the end of this season.”

I'M SURE HAHN WILL BE HAPPY TO KNOW THAT THE KARK AGREES WITH HIM

geek

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 am