Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Trumpism takes a hit

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Trumpism takes a hit

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Seems like the people of Virginia issued a pretty strong rebuke of Trumpism today.  Looks like they'll be able to expand Medicaid there after this election.  Medicaid expansion also passed by referendum in Maine today.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Re: Trumpism takes a hit

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:35 am

I turned Madcow on for 5 minutes.  I had not watched her in one year.

She has AGED!!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:22 am

We are probably all aging. Madcow has no magic fountain of youth.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:24 am

With how well Dems did, should come as no surprise at much higher voter turnout, which almost always means Dem gains.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 am

Hannity has it covered, though. He spent all of 6 seconds last night covering the Virginia elections. Ha.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 am

Soxillinirob wrote:Hannity has it covered, though.  He spent all of 6 seconds last night covering the Virginia elections.  Ha.

All Hillary, all the time!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 am

alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:Hannity has it covered, though.  He spent all of 6 seconds last night covering the Virginia elections.  Ha.

All Hillary, all the time!

It's true, Kevin.  According to Fox, she's the president and is going to soon be impeached.  They are dedicating all of their time to running some kind of campaign against her to an ends that I don't really understand.  They have those viewers whipped into some kind of frenzy where she's going to be indicted and arrested and it's just not going to happen unless some new crime is discovered.  She isn't going to be indicted over her fucking emails, or this uranium nonsense, or Benghazi, or because she was somehow unfair to Bernie Sanders.  That channel is doing its viewers a disservice because they don't even know what the hell is going on in the news because they are so busy chasing the Lock Her Up bandwagon.  
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:50 am

HEY MR ROBZ!!!

THE PROBLEM ISN'T VOTER TURNOUT

THE SOLUTION IS POLITICIAN TURNOVER!!!!!!

THAT IS WHAT TRUMP REALLY REPRESENTS TO THE MILLIONS AND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT VOTED FOR HIM AND WOULD GLADLY DO SO AGAIN IF IT MEANS AVOIDING SOME HILLARY/JEB STYLED ASS CLOWN

AND YES, YOUR HERO CRAZY COMMIE BERNIE IS IN THAT CATEGORY
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 am

TO WHOM EVER IS LEFT ON THIS BOARD

YOU REALLY WANT TO FIX THE COUNTRY, STOP SENDING THE SAME CLOWNS BACK TO OFFICE!!!!

PERFECT EXAMPLE, PAUL RYAN.  ENTERS CONGRESS AT THE TENDER AGE OF 29 AND HAS BEEN THERE 18 YEARS.  WILL PROBABLY STAY ANOTHER 18 WHICH PUTS HIM AT 65.  MIGHT STAY ANOTHER 18 AFTER THAT BECAUSE HE ENJOYS THE PUSSY AND THE POWER.

THE KARK WOULD GLADLY REPLACE THOSE 36 YEARS WITH THE LIKES OF MR ROBZ, LAWYER FRANK FROM LAKE GENEVA, ELKHART'S BIGGEST CREAM FAN AND MOST TALENTED DRUMMER, AND THE LOVELY DOCTOR FROM OHIO.

THE CATCH IS, AFTER 10 YEARS, YOU LEAVE DC, GO BACK TO YOUR OLD DAY JOB, AND GO BACK TO A MORE PASSIVE ROLE IN POLITICS.

NOW I'D PROBABLY AGREE WITH A RYAN POSITION 99 TIMES OUT OF 100 COMPARED TO YOU FOUR.  BUT I'D TRUST YOU FOUR WOULD HAVE THE COMMON SENSE AND COMMON DECENCY OF THE COMMON MAN LOOKING OUT FOR THE COMMON GOOD.  NOT SOME SWAMP CREATURE LIKE RYAN WHO IS LOOKING OUT FOR HIS LEGACY AND HIS LOBBYISTS
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:12 am

It occurred to the KARK the other day why DC is broken.  Its this retarded concept that you have to pay for tax cuts.

So you can't cut a tax without cutting spending.  Supposedly, this concept has been around for decades.  Yet somehow, the US Gov has managed to average a trillion more in spending than revenue collection in the current millenium.

But I digest

Because of this stupid paygo stuff, you can't cut taxes without cutting spending.  You can't increase spending without increasing taxes.  You have two parties that boxed themselves into corners that are extremely difficult to get out of.  Nobody wants to make a hard decision.  therefore deciosn are not made because any decision will always produce somebody at the short end of a stick and government is expected to resolve hardships not create them

so we are stuck with a DC gov trying to please everybody which results in pleasing nobody.  Unless you are connected.  the connected class always seems to find a way to get paid and laid
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:It occurred to the KARK the other day why DC is broken.  Its this retarded concept that you have to pay for tax cuts.

So you can't cut a tax without cutting spending.  Supposedly, this concept has been around for decades.  Yet somehow, the US Gov has managed to average a trillion more in spending than revenue collection in the current millenium.

But we don't cut spending as much as we cut taxes.  This current reform is a $4 T tax cut and a $2.5 T tax increase combined into each other to equal $1.5 T added to our national debt over the next ten years.  The GWB tax cuts didn't have corresponding cuts in spending.  Reagan's deficit grew after his tax cuts.  Any time BO wanted a jobs bill or infrastructure, it was demanded that it be paid for by spending cuts equal or greater.  Shit, ACA was passed as being debt neutral or even as having a positive effect on it.  

This is the GOP Starve the Beast strategy that's been in effect since the 70's.  You cut taxes and make folks happy, and then when there are deficits you force Dems to either raise taxes or cut spending, either of which hurts the economy and makes the public mad.  It's a great strategy from the perspective that it's worked well for them and their marketing.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:46 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:It occurred to the KARK the other day why DC is broken.  Its this retarded concept that you have to pay for tax cuts.

But we don't cut spending as much as we cut taxes.  This current reform is a $4 T tax cut and a $2.5 T tax increase combined into each other to equal $1.5 T added to our national debt over the next ten years.  The GWB tax cuts didn't have corresponding cuts in spending.  Reagan's deficit grew after his tax cuts.  Any time BO wanted a jobs bill or infrastructure, it was demanded that it be paid for by spending cuts equal or greater.  Shit, ACA was passed as being debt neutral or even as having a positive effect on it.  

This is the GOP Starve the Beast strategy that's been in effect since the 70's.  You cut taxes and make folks happy, and then when there are deficits you force Dems to either raise taxes or cut spending, either of which hurts the economy and makes the public mad.  It's a great strategy from the perspective that it's worked well for them and their marketing.

1)  the CBO scored ACA debt neutrual and that was just flat out wrong.  In fact the CBO has a long history of bad scoring
    2) those tax cuts actually did increase revenue.  the probelm has always been that speniding grew faster
    3) to view this as a marketing program is just another thing that makes me pig biting mad.  the truth is, our government is too big and it spend too much, not to mention that way to much of that spending is on wasteful, frivulous, fraudulent, and redunant
    4) not only that, just to comply costs the public billions, in both dollars and hours

The real problem is the 16th amendment.  A real GOP would be fighting to abolish that amendment.  A sane Democrat party would let it
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:

1)  the CBO scored ACA debt neutrual and that was just flat out wrong.  In fact the CBO has a long history of bad scoring
    2) those tax cuts actually did increase revenue.  the probelm has always been that speniding grew faster
    3) to view this as a marketing program is just another thing that makes me pig biting mad.  the truth is, our government is too big and it spend too much, not to mention that way to much of that spending is on wasteful, frivulous, fraudulent, and redunant
    4) not only that, just to comply costs the public billions, in both dollars and hours

The real problem is the 16th amendment.  A real GOP would be fighting to abolish that amendment.  A sane Democrat party would let it

Not sure where you're getting that revenues increased.  The Bush and Reagan cuts both showed an almost immediate fallback of gov't revenues after many years of annual increases.  Rev's slowed in 82 and went backward in 83.  Revs went backward for two years after the GWB cuts.  

Regardless, it truly is a strategy.  Not sure it's a marketing strategy.  It's just a strategy that is designed to always be shrinking government.  Keep giving tax cuts to people, cuz who doesn't want a tax cut, but let the Dems take the blame for the deficits and force spending cuts.  They did this to absolute perfection under Obama.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:TO WHOM EVER IS LEFT ON THIS BOARD

YOU REALLY WANT TO FIX THE COUNTRY, STOP SENDING THE SAME CLOWNS BACK TO OFFICE!!!!

PERFECT EXAMPLE, PAUL RYAN.  ENTERS CONGRESS AT THE TENDER AGE OF 29 AND HAS BEEN THERE 18 YEARS.  WILL PROBABLY STAY ANOTHER 18 WHICH PUTS HIM AT 65.  MIGHT STAY ANOTHER 18 AFTER THAT BECAUSE HE ENJOYS THE PUSSY AND THE POWER.

THE KARK WOULD GLADLY REPLACE THOSE 36 YEARS WITH THE LIKES OF MR ROBZ, LAWYER FRANK FROM LAKE GENEVA, ELKHART'S BIGGEST CREAM FAN AND MOST TALENTED DRUMMER, AND THE LOVELY DOCTOR FROM OHIO.

THE CATCH IS, AFTER 10 YEARS, YOU LEAVE DC, GO BACK TO YOUR OLD DAY JOB, AND GO BACK TO A MORE PASSIVE ROLE IN POLITICS.

NOW I'D PROBABLY AGREE WITH A RYAN POSITION 99 TIMES OUT OF 100 COMPARED TO YOU FOUR.  BUT I'D TRUST YOU FOUR WOULD HAVE THE COMMON SENSE AND COMMON DECENCY OF THE COMMON MAN LOOKING OUT FOR THE COMMON GOOD.  NOT SOME SWAMP CREATURE LIKE RYAN WHO IS LOOKING OUT FOR HIS LEGACY AND HIS LOBBYISTS

And have some dope like Trump who knows absolutely nothing about government or diplomacy at every level of government because 55-60% of the nation is too lazy to go out every two years to vote? You aren't going to magically get "qualified" people for these positions because Ryan, Pelosi, McConnell, and Schumer aren't allowed to run anymore. What do you do if (I know, a long shot but...) Ryan gets term limited and no one in his district wants to step up and run for office? Leave it empty? Let the governor fill it? Neither of those are good choices in my opinion. We have elections. If people would actually vote with their conscience instead of with their fears or what their friends, family, or political talk shows tell them, we might actually get some new people in there. But truth be told, neither you nor I have any control over who the people of a district of Wisconsin vote for. I can only vote for the representative in the 11th District in Illinois and for the two Senators from Illinois. I'll do my homework and cast a ballot for the people I think will do the best job for me and my district/state in Congress and hope that everyone else does the same.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 pm

alohafri wrote:

And have some dope like Trump who knows absolutely nothing about government or diplomacy at every level of government because 55-60% of the nation is too lazy to go out every two years to vote? You aren't going to magically get "qualified" people for these positions because Ryan, Pelosi, McConnell, and Schumer aren't allowed to run anymore. What do you do if (I know, a long shot but...) Ryan gets term limited and no one in his district wants to step up and run for office? Leave it empty? Let the governor fill it? Neither of those are good choices in my opinion. We have elections. If people would actually vote with their conscience instead of with their fears or what their friends, family, or political talk shows tell them, we might actually get some new people in there. But truth be told, neither you nor I have any control over who the people of a district of Wisconsin vote for. I can only vote for the representative in the 11th District in Illinois and for the two Senators from Illinois. I'll do my homework and cast a ballot for the people I think will do the best job for me and my district/state in Congress and hope that everyone else does the same.

Yeah, same here.  I don't need term limits.  We need to actually just give a shit.  I can't begin to tell you how many of my friends look at me like I'm crazy NOT because I'm a progressive, but because I actually CARE about politics.  When I discuss politics with my friends, be they lefty or righty, they seem puzzled about why I really care all that much.  They sort of shrug and give me that bullshit "all politicians are the same" stupidity that drives me nuts.  They aren't all the same.  They are different.  The parties are different.  Their agendas are different.  Their tactics are different.  All or most politicians might have some common traits (including shadiness and dishonesty), but that's it.  

My point is that if everyone actually cared, we'd not allow our leaders to be bought by donors, and we'd notice when they are lying (because we'd be too informed to bullshit), and we'd ultimately get a better final product.  The wool is being pulled over the eyes of the masses because 80% of the masses aren't following closely enough to make an informed vote.  If everyone were more informed, both the left and the right would have to put smarter legislation on the table instead of crap that nobody will be able to figure out anyway.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

Not sure where you're getting that revenues increased.  The Bush and Reagan cuts both showed an almost immediate fallback of gov't revenues after many years of annual increases.  Rev's slowed in 82 and went backward in 83.  Revs went backward for two years after the GWB cuts.  

Regardless, it truly is a strategy.  Not sure it's a marketing strategy.  It's just a strategy that is designed to always be shrinking government.  Keep giving tax cuts to people, cuz who doesn't want a tax cut, but let the Dems take the blame for the deficits and force spending cuts.  They did this to absolute perfection under Obama.

Not sure.......

Once again, you grossly distort what really happened

Overall, tax revenues went up.  Where the hell to you think the Laffer curve came from
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

Not sure.......

Overall, tax revenues went up.  Where the hell to you think the Laffer curve came from

I did nothing "grossly."  I pulled the numbers right off of the Whitehouse.gov site.  It's easy to see revenues dropping for the year or two after the tax cuts, and then they begin climbing again.  

The Laffer curve doesn't dictate that cutting taxes increases revenues.  Tell me you didn't come away thinking that's what it all means.  The Curve (which is theory and not any kind of law) only states that there's a happy place where revenues max out, but that it might be after we raise rates or after we lower rates.  We don't know where the max-out spot is.  If lowering rates were the key to raising revenues, we'd just lower them to 1%.  I don't claim to know if raising rates would increase or decrease revenues.  The answer is kind of mixed, but it's easy to see on the historical revenue numbers that we took a revenue hit for a couple of years after the 1981 Reagan cuts and the same thing after the 2001 GWB cuts.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

alohafri wrote:

OK, I DIDN'T SPECIFICALLY SAY TERM LIMITS, BUT I CAN SEE WHERE IT WOULD BE IMPLIED.

MY INTENT WAS THAT THESE REPS EITHER SELF LIMIT OR THAT THE VOTERS BOOT THEM OUT IF THEY CLING TO THE JOB LIKE SOME KIND OF POPE.

ALSO, ITS SEEMS LIKE THE HIDDEN MESSAGE THAT PEOPLE NEED TO BE MORE INVOLVED WAS WAY TOO HIDDEN

PS, NEVER MEANT TO IMPLY THAT EVERYBODY IN GOVERNMENT NEED TO ACT LIKE TRUMP.  WE HAVE THE WWE FOR THAT KIND OF ENTERTAINMENT.  BUT AS FOR TRUMP BEING A DOPE, TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT SQUANDERED THE REAGAN PEACE DIVIDEND JUST TO LET ISLAMOFASCISM TO GROW LIKE A CANCER UNDER HIS NOSE  WHILE GIVING NORTH KOREA THE TECHNOLOGY TO BUILD NUCLEAR WEAPON.  TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT TARNISHED THE OFFICE BY TURNING THE WHITE HOUSE INTO A 4 HOUR NAP MOTEL. TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE COULDN'T PUSH THRU PERMNANENT TAX REFORM DESPITE CONTROL OF BOTH HOUSES AND ALMOST PUT A COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED HARRIET MEYER ON THE SUPREME COURT.  TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT GOT US INVOLVED IN A NEVER ENDING MILITARY CONFLICT IN THE MIDDLE EAST WITHOUT EVER FINDING BIN LADEN.  TRUMP IS NOT HE DOPE THAT CAUSED RUNAWAY HEALTHCARE PREMIUMS BECAUSE OF A FUCKED UP BILL THAT WAS NEVER READ.  TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT SUPRESSED THE AMERICAN ECONOMY FOR EIGHT WHILE ENCOURAGING EVERY MINORITY TO PLAY THE VICTIM CARD.

TRUMP, DESPITE HIS VERY OBVIOUS FLAWS, IS LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF A JEB HILLARY PRESIDENCY
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

OK, I DIDN'T SPECIFICALLY SAY TERM LIMITS, BUT I CAN SEE WHERE IT WOULD BE IMPLIED.

MY INTENT WAS THAT THESE REPS EITHER SELF LIMIT OR THAT THE VOTERS BOOT THEM OUT IF THEY CLING TO THE JOB LIKE SOME KIND OF POPE.

ALSO, ITS SEEMS LIKE THE HIDDEN MESSAGE THAT PEOPLE NEED TO BE MORE INVOLVED WAS WAY TOO HIDDEN

PS, NEVER MEANT TO IMPLY THAT EVERYBODY IN GOVERNMENT NEED TO ACT LIKE TRUMP.  WE HAVE THE WWE FOR THAT KIND OF ENTERTAINMENT.  BUT AS FOR TRUMP BEING A DOPE, TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT SQUANDERED THE REAGAN PEACE DIVIDEND JUST TO LET ISLAMOFASCISM TO GROW LIKE A CANCER UNDER HIS NOSE  WHILE GIVING NORTH KOREA THE TECHNOLOGY TO BUILD NUCLEAR WEAPON.  TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT TARNISHED THE OFFICE BY TURNING THE WHITE HOUSE INTO A 4 HOUR NAP MOTEL. TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE COULDN'T PUSH THRU PERMNANENT TAX REFORM DESPITE CONTROL OF BOTH HOUSES AND ALMOST PUT A COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED HARRIET MEYER ON THE SUPREME COURT.  TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT GOT US INVOLVED IN A NEVER ENDING MILITARY CONFLICT IN THE MIDDLE EAST WITHOUT EVER FINDING BIN LADEN.  TRUMP IS NOT HE DOPE THAT CAUSED RUNAWAY HEALTHCARE PREMIUMS BECAUSE OF A FUCKED UP BILL THAT WAS NEVER READ.  TRUMP IS NOT THE DOPE THAT SUPRESSED THE AMERICAN ECONOMY FOR EIGHT WHILE ENCOURAGING EVERY MINORITY TO PLAY THE VICTIM CARD.

TRUMP, DESPITE HIS VERY OBVIOUS FLAWS, IS LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF A JEB HILLARY PRESIDENCY

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. She lost, get over it.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

Not sure.......

Just saw an interesting breakdown of the aftermath of Reagan's tax cuts lowering top rate from 46% to, I believe, 32%.  Middle class average and median income proceeded to fall for the following five years a total of $3,000 in today's dollars.  Now, I'm not saying the income fell BECAUSE of the cuts, but one observation I can make is to see that tax revenues fell for a couple/few years, wages fell for several years, and take home pay of the very rich went up.  I'm not bringing this up to castigate or scold millionaires.  Shit, I hope to eventually be one.  I'm only pointing out that economic policy that makes the rich into the wealthy has not really had any kind of corresponding effect on the economy or the lesser economic classes.  It does nothing to spur demand, and if middle class income shrinks, it actually hurts demand.  It just makes the rich dudes happier.  I suspect we're going to see some growing discontent as this tax bill is discussed and debated.  These rich dudes better be mindful that they want to avoid the middle and lower economic classes grabbing pitchforks and torches.  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 pm