Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

2018 Free Agent Market

Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

2018 Free Agent Market

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:59 pm

The official  White Sox listed the top 25 free agents along with teams suspected to be interest as well as the signing prediction

OUR White Sox are not only predicted to sign ZERO of these guys, but are also suspected to have ZERO interest in any of them.  although they might fall in with the MANY OTHERS for Yu Darvish and Wade Davis.  the KARK would not advocate either of these two.

As for the KARK's two favorites, Lorenzo Cain and Jonathan LuCroy, conventional wisdom has them signing with the Giants and Rockies respectively.  Now I can understand LuCroy and the Rockies.  Aren't the Rockies conenders?  Plus who wouldn't want to hit their.  As for Cain, didn't the Giants suck more than the White Sox in 2017?  Does this mean Cain is just looking for the largest paycheck?

Which brings me to the White Sox chances in 2018.

I suppose they could challenge for the 2nd wildcard if some kids where to develop rapidly, for example Anderson and Moncada turning into Whitaker and Trammel.  and is Avisail Garcia is for real and Nate Jones proves to be a kick ass closer....

In the off chance this could happen, I do advocate guys like LuCroy and Cain who fit the need without blocking any worthwhile prospect.  I doubt Kevan Smith and Adam Engel are the keys to the 2020 fantasy world series year.  However, I don't blow the budget on these guys.  If the Gaints offer Cain Dexter Fowler type cash, then let him enjoy the city by the bay.  LuCroy is already assumed to get Matt Wieters type money.  This can best be explained by legal marijuanna in the state of Colorado.  In which case, OUR White Sox should just say no

Since I expect OUR White Sox to be priced out of the Cain/LuCroy markets, and all the vets that needed to be traded where last summer, I expect a boring winter to scrap picking.  It will be kinda of like that radio station that advertises how it plays the deep cuts from albums.  Although I never heard Four Sticks from Zeppelin 4 played on the radio...

If by some miracle, the White Sox are fighting for a playoff spot this summer, It might be wise to listen to offers for the Alex Calls of the farm system
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: 2018 Free Agent Market

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am

So far, I'd say this two month old post is still valid.

The White Sox didn't sign LuCroy.  But they did sign Wellington Castillo, who has a similiar profile.

However, the talk of Lorenzo Cain is heard nowhere except this board, and that's only when the KARK bring him up.  The only hope for the KARK daydream is that the free agent market remains as cold as the current weather and prices get driven down to completely unexpected levels.

Besides the CF/leadoff hitter, it appears the White Sox are light on quality lefthanded pitching.  Only 4 on the 40 man.  Two, Bummer and Fry, are middle relief.  Ian Clarkin, a 22 year old starter from the Yankees, need more seasoning in the minor.  the final lefty is Carlos Rodon, the man with the mystery shoulder.  It's quite possible the White Sox start the year without a lefty in the rotation

I wonder if the BoSox would do Abreau for Jay Groome and Cole Brannen
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:So far, I'd say this two month old post is still valid.
    The White Sox didn't sign LuCroy.  But they did sign Wellington Castillo, who has a similiar profile.
    However, the talk of Lorenzo Cain is heard nowhere except this board, and that's only when the KARK bring him up.  The only hope for the KARK daydream is that the free agent market remains as cold as the current weather and prices get driven down to completely unexpected levels.
    Besides the CF/leadoff hitter, it appears the White Sox are light on quality lefthanded pitching.  Only 4 on the 40 man.  Two, Bummer and Fry, are middle relief.  Ian Clarkin, a 22 year old starter from the Yankees, need more seasoning in the minor.  the final lefty is Carlos Rodon, the man with the mystery shoulder.  It's quite possible the White Sox start the year without a lefty in the rotation
    I wonder if the BoSox would do Abreau for Jay Groome and Cole Brannen

Possible that the Royals could try to get back their free agents (Hosmer, Moustakas, Cain) if the market continues to soften up for them.  In fact Hosmer reportedly already has a $ 140 million, 7 year offer from the Royals.  He's the youngest major free agent at 28 and Moustakas is 29 so they will get longer deals than Cain.  IMO, Cain is still looking for 5 years but may settle for 4 years.

This offseason Sox will probably focus on some cheap, short-term veteran arms both for the rotation and bullpen.  They need a few guys who can keep heavy IP loads off younger arms like Gioloto and Lopez plus delay Kopech and Hansen's FA clocks a bit longer. 
    Deplorable Mark
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:36 pm

One interesting strategy would be to pursue guys like Homer Bailey and tell the other teams, that the White Sox will pay the full salary if they throw in a top prospect.

for example, Wily Garcia and Dylan Covey for Taylor Trammel and Homer Bailey.  With the Reds agreeing to pay 2019 $23MM salary and the $5MM 2020 buy out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 am