Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

3 Offseason questions

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

3 Offseason questions

Post by Deplorable Mark on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:33 pm

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/259949450/3-offseason-questions-looming-for-white-sox/

Kind of a wasted article

#1) Keep or trade Abreau and Garcia.

The article makes a comment about how Abrea has become a clubhouse leader.  Completely silent about Garcia.

In the real world, Abreau will be 31 for he 2018 season and should be targeted to get the kind of haul Sale and Quintana got.  At least for this off season.  Garcia on the overhand, only 2 reasons I trade him.  1) Another team overwhlems you or 2) you think 2017 is a fluke.  I don' see the White Sox getting an overwhelming offer.  And if he's for real, he's young enough to be good for a decade

#2) How will they find relief

Who cares.  There are rebuilding.  Some of the no names will establish themselves and you go from there

#3) When will Rodon return

Again who cares, they are rebuilding.  Unless the real question is will return ever develop due to injuries.  Well for 2018, does it matter?  Whats one more prospect added to the parade that will be the 2018 White Sox pitching staff

THE MISSING QUESTION

ARE THE WHITE SOX MISSING THE BOAT ON YOLMER SANCHEZ

The KARK thumbed thru the 2018 Bill James Baseball Handbook this weekend.  Yplmer ranks pretty high defensively at 2b.  And this is just playing 1/2 time at 2B in 2017.  Are the White Sox throwing away a gold glove 2B just to get a bat at that position?  Sure Yolmer will see time at 3B in 2018.  But he'll be benched the second they can find a hitter with a close to average glove.  I'm sure the White Sox are dying for Matt Davidson to prove himself worthy.  And lets not forget Nick Delmonico also plays there.

Lets face it.  DH, LF and CF are looked to be manned by the Wily Garcia crowd, of which there are plenty.  Especially if Abreau and A Garcia stay with the team.  The White Sox just claimed Daniel Palka off waivers from the Twins.  I can see the White Sox using 3B as another spot to give another member of the Wily gang a chance to prove himself.  Meaning Yolmer gets buried.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: 3 Offseason questions

Post by alohafri on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:01 am

It seems, these days, that relief pitching is pretty much like catching lightning in a bottle, especially when it comes to middle relief.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:54 am

I'm sure there will be plenty of empty bottles between now and the magical year of 2020

Especially beer bottles in Lincoln Park
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:58 am

I need to be re-admitted to SFOD by 2020!!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm sure the White Sox are dying for Matt Davidson to prove himself worthy.  And lets not forget Nick Delmonico also plays there.>>
    Davidson can't field worth a shit and strikes out at a rate that could embarrass Adam Dunn.  These things don't get cured overnight (or usually ever).
    Don't know about Delmonico's 3b defense or whether he hits more like his 400 pa's at Charlotte or his 150 with White Sox.  After being on fire with Sox in August (.312 BA) pitchers caught onto him and took him down to .212 in September.  So his 768 OPS in Charlotte looks closer to reality.  He's still 25 with some chance to improve, particularly in power, and he's shown some decent plate discipline.  So there is some chance he could cut it in the majors.

Ideally the Sox would take a more flexible view on Moncada's position.  Sure, he'll hit better than 80% of 2bmen but his glove there doesn't look real special (although it's not bad).  He has the arm to play 3b and the speed/arm for OF, including CF.  If Sanchez can provide great defense and adequate hitting at 2b, then Moncada could be moved to the spot of greatest need so that some stiff won't have to start at 3b or the OF.   Good teams patch holes by doing things like that.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:08 am

YOLMER ROCKS!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:06 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:I need to be re-admitted to SFOD by 2020!!!
     By 2020 you may be running SFOD!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 am

rmapasad wrote:I'm sure the White Sox are dying for Matt Davidson to prove himself worthy.  And lets not forget Nick Delmonico also plays there.>>
    Davidson can't field worth a shit and strikes out at a rate that could embarrass Adam Dunn.  These things don't get cured overnight (or usually ever).

WHEN HAS THAT STOPPED THE WHITE SOX!!!!

Don't know about Delmonico's 3b defense or whether he hits more like his 400 pa's at Charlotte or his 150 with White Sox.  After being on fire with Sox in August (.312 BA) pitchers caught onto him and took him down to .212 in September.  So his 768 OPS in Charlotte looks closer to reality.  He's still 25 with some chance to improve, particularly in power, and he's shown some decent plate discipline.  So there is some chance he could cut it in the majors.

HE DIDN'T EVEN SEE AN INNING AT 3B IN THE BIGS.  SO MAYBE THAT IS WHAT THEY THINK OF HIS DEFENSE.  HIS STICK IS PROBABLY WHAT MELKEY CABRERA GAVE THE WHITE SOX THE PAST FEW YEARS.  GOOD ENOUGH TO PLUG A HOLE.  BUT I DON'T SEE HIM BECOMING AN ALL STAR.

Ideally the Sox would take a more flexible view on Moncada's position.  Sure, he'll hit better than 80% of 2bmen but his glove there doesn't look real special (although it's not bad).  He has the arm to play 3b and the speed/arm for OF, including CF.  If Sanchez can provide great defense and adequate hitting at 2b, then Moncada could be moved to the spot of greatest need so that some stiff won't have to start at 3b or the OF.   Good teams patch holes by doing things like that.

ANOTHER THING GOOD ORGS DON'T DO IS STRETCH THE DEFENSE.  THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE WHITE SOX ARE DOING WITH MONCADA AND THE 2B/3B POSITION.  YOLMER SANCHEZ DEFENSE HAS LONG BEEN ESTABLISHED AS HIGH QUALITY.  BOTH FROM THE SCOUTS AND FROM THE STATS.  YOLMER SANCHEZ HAS ALSO SHOWN THE ABILITY TO HIT ONCE HE GETS COMFORTABLE IN THE LEAGUE.

AGAIN, THE MORE I LOOK INTO YOLMER, THE MORE HE LOOKS LIKE A HIDDEN GEM THAT COULD PROVIDE GOLD GLOVE DEFENSE AT 2B FOR A DECADE WHILE HITTING ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY AN EVERYDAY SPOT IN THE LINEUP.  THIS ISN'T SOME PATCHWORK NONSENSE.  THIS IS A LONG TERM SOLUTION.

PS, THIS IS WHY I ALSO WANT A GOLD GLOVE CALIBER CF.  DEFENSE ISN'T LINEAR.  IT IMPROVES EXPONENTIALLY.  GIVEN ALL THE YOUNG ARMS THAT WILL BE TROTTED OUT IN 2018, THE WHITE SOX WOULD BE WISE TO PROTECT WITH A SOLID DEFENSIVE UNIT.  THAT MEANS GOLD GLOVE CALIBER AT LEAST AT 2 KEY POSITIONS.  NOT A COLLECTION OF 8 CLOWNS THAT ARE GOOD ENOUGH WITH THE GLOVE INDIVIDUALLY, BUT END UP LOOKING LIKE A SWISS CHEESE COLLECTIVELY.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 am