Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Share
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2017
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:26 pm

    In other Royals news, the team is planning to give a qualifying offer to center fielder Lorenzo Cain, though the team hasn’t firmly decided on that option just yet, per Heyman. It seems like a no-brainer in my view. Despite the fact that Cain will be 32 next season, he hit .300/.363/.440 season at the plate with15 homers and swiped 26 bases while playing elite center-field defense in 2017. The Royals undoubtedly expect Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas to reject QOs, so the minimal risk of Cain accepting would hardly put an exorbitant strain on payroll, though it’d limit their maneuverability for the remainder of the winter. Cain should be able to shatter that mark even with draft compensation attached to him. Heyman also notes that hitting coach Dale Sveum will now be the team’s bench coach, replacing the departed Don Wakamatsu. As such, the Royals are on the hunt for a new pitching coach and a new hitting coach to step into Sveum’s spot.


    ***************************************


    FYI, A QUALIFYING OFFER IS $17.4MIL THIS WINTER.


    SO I guess that puts a 3 year deal north of the $50 million mark.  Ouch  I suspect 4 years won't be enough.  Double Ouch


    For Cain's sake, I hope he finds a sucker with a hard on for him and gets at least $80mil over 5 years.  I doubt Reinsdork will be that sucker


    WHAT'S PLAN  "B" AGAIN?!?!?!?!?
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7215
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by alohafri on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:27 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:In other Royals news, the team is planning to give a qualifying offer to center fielder Lorenzo Cain, though the team hasn’t firmly decided on that option just yet, per Heyman

    Lorenzo Cain is a Paul Heyman guy too?
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2017
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 am

    And this board thinks THE KARK is Cain's only advocate
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:24 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:And this board thinks THE KARK is Cain's only advocate

    What a total misrepresentation. Of course Cain is a good player and will likely remain that way for the next 2-3 years.  His defense has been treated differently by different metrics but yes, he's still very good in the field.  Some contender will find him valuable for 2018-2019 maybe 2020.   And they may be willing to take the risk that he turns into a bad contract by 2021-2022 if Cain can help them win something in those first few years. 
    But somehow the Sox should now be one of the bidders for Cain's services through 2021-2022 ?  Thought that issue was settled.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7215
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by alohafri on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:40 pm

    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:And this board thinks THE KARK is Cain's only advocate

    What a total misrepresentation. Of course Cain is a good player and will likely remain that way for the next 2-3 years.  His defense has been treated differently by different metrics but yes, he's still very good in the field.  Some contender will find him valuable for 2018-2019 maybe 2020.   And they may be willing to take the risk that he turns into a bad contract by 2021-2022 if Cain can help them win something in those first few years. 
    But somehow the Sox should now be one of the bidders for Cain's services through 2021-2022 ?  Thought that issue was settled.

    He was making a wrestling joke. Smile
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2017
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 pm

    alohafri wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:And this board thinks THE KARK is Cain's only advocate

    What a total misrepresentation. Of course Cain is a good player and will likely remain that way for the next 2-3 years.  His defense has been treated differently by different metrics but yes, he's still very good in the field.  Some contender will find him valuable for 2018-2019 maybe 2020.   And they may be willing to take the risk that he turns into a bad contract by 2021-2022 if Cain can help them win something in those first few years. 
    But somehow the Sox should now be one of the bidders for Cain's services through 2021-2022 ?  Thought that issue was settled.

    He was making a wrestling joke. Smile


    PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING IS TOO HIGH BROW FOR ROGER.


    PS, just love how Roger now is defending Cain when just the over day he was claiming there was no significant difference between him and the tandem of Tilson/L Garcia.


    And I just love how Roger thinks L Garcia can maintain his 2017 OPS but A Garcia has to split the difference between 2016 & 2017 and go from All-Star to a merely passable RF


    BTW, can anybody explain why a contender would want to overextend Cain or anybody else?  Seems to me that if you only think a guy will be good for 3 years, why give him a 4th or even a 5th?  I know that long contracts turn bad all the time.  Yet they are still given.  I would think that the people who are giving out millions and millions of dollars would have some reasonable basis that the player taking those dollars would be able to perform for the duration of the contract.


    PS, let the KARK again remind everybody that OUR White Sox currently do not have a prospect that looks like a leadoff hitter.  So unlike other spots like catcher, or an outfield corner, or the pitching staff where OUR White Sox appear to have some real studs that should be ready by 2019 or 2020, leadoff is still a long term problem that needs to be addressed.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:23 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    PS, just love how Roger now is defending Cain when just the over day he was claiming there was no significant difference between him and the tandem of Tilson/L Garcia.>
    Of course I said those guys could hit as well as Cain too. Yeah, right...  Maybe the defense with Leury is close but it stops there.



    And I just love how Roger thinks L Garcia can maintain his 2017 OPS but A Garcia has to split the difference between 2016 & 2017 and go from All-Star to a merely passable RF>
    I said he may or may not pick up more power in 2018.  If he does, he can maintain a low-mid 800's OPS without the need of an insane BABIP to prop it up.

    BTW, can anybody explain why a contender would want to overextend Cain or anybody else?  Seems to me that if you only think a guy will be good for 3 years, why give him a 4th or even a 5th?  I know that long contracts turn bad all the time.  Yet they are still given.  I would think that the people who are giving out millions and millions of dollars would have some reasonable basis that the player taking those dollars would be able to perform for the duration of the contract.>
    No one wants to over-extend a contract but that's the price of getting these guys in the last couple years of their primes - have to buy a couple of decline years in there as well.  Angels still have four more years to go on Pujols, Mariners 4 more on Cano, etc, etc. Cain isn't to their level but he'll be angling for a 4-5 year deal.  Depends on how badly a team wants him whether they'll oblige.  We'll see. 



    PS, let the KARK again remind everybody that OUR White Sox currently do not have a prospect that looks like a leadoff hitter.  So unlike other spots like catcher, or an outfield corner, or the pitching staff where OUR White Sox appear to have some real studs that should be ready by 2019 or 2020, leadoff is still a long term problem that needs to be addressed.
    What's Luis Robert - a cleanup guy ?  .491 OBP in rookie ball. Looks as leadoff-y as you can get.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2017
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:29 am

    What's Luis Robert - a cleanup guy ?  .491 OBP in rookie ball. Looks as leadoff-y as you can get.


    **************************************

    Doesn't he hit for power?!?!?  536 SLG 226 ISO


    Plus Robert was a #3 hitter in rookie ball.


    So no, he doesn't look as lead off as one can get.


    I would say lets wait until he's buying a rum & coke in birmingham b4 he claim what spot in the line up he should claim.  Because right now it could be anywhere from 1 - 6

    Sponsored content

    Re: LATEST ON LORENZO CAIN

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:11 am