Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

The real question for 2018

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

The real question for 2018

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm

If one actually looks at the roster, one will see that just about every position will play itself out.

Except for 2B and 3B, because this would actually require a key player to change positions.

Is Yolmer Sanchez a hidden gem that can provide gold glove defense at 2B until 2025 while hitting enough to justify and eveyday spot?  Or is he another Darwin Barney

Just how good is Yoan Moncada defensively?

Right now, I suspect the White Sox plan to start Matt Davidson at 3B and Yoan Moncada at 2B with Yolmer Sanchez as the utility IF.

I suppose OUR White Sox can let this play out as well.  But if Moncada does need to move, the sooner the better
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Re: The real question for 2018

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Bring back Frazier and Melky!!

WIN NOW-RELOAD!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Bring back Frazier and Melky!!

WIN NOW-RELOAD!!

Sox cut short their rebuild of mid 2013-2014 to go win-now in 2015 with the Robertson, Melky, LaRoche, Duke and the  Samardjiza trade.  Actually some degree of
    justification for win-now then given a nucleus of Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton to build around.  But it was a Reinsdorf half-ass, on the cheap botch job.
    Wishful thinking to believe Cabrera and LaRoche "fixed" much and to ignore how much having guys like Beckham, Gillaspie, Avi Garcia and a fading Alexei and Danks in starting jobs could end up biting the team in the ass.  
    This year there are no major league proven top 2 SP's like Sale/Quintana.  Abreu is 31 instead of 28 and it's a team full of maybes.  Give all the under 28 maybes another shot at seeing who survives and can be useful for the future, and keep letting the young studs develop without being rushed.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 pm

LMAO!!!!!

After a decade the term paper writers still can't recognize Rosebowl's cartoon act

And I just that the guy thinking Luis Robert should jump 4 levels in the next 2 years is preaching about not rushing guys.

Apparently the board genius hasn't figured out that you need more than a Thillens softball player to keep the real prospects on the farm.  

Filling every open spot with a Cody Asche makes zero sense
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:LMAO!!!!!

After a decade the term paper writers still can't recognize Rosebowl's cartoon act

And I just that the guy thinking Luis Robert should jump 4 levels in the next 2 years is preaching about not rushing guys.

Apparently the board genius hasn't figured out that you need more than a Thillens softball player to keep the real prospects on the farm.  

Filling every open spot with a Cody Asche makes zero sense

I recognize Bobby's drill.

It's this simple.  When you play win-now, you play it all-out, no half ass.  Dump or bench the marginal guys and get at least adequate everywhere like Dodgers, Cubs, Indians, Astros.  No Beckhams, Gillaspies, Avi Garcias, Johnny Danks when you're trying to win something.

When you rebuild, rebuild all-out, no half ass.  Trade all your 30+ year olds and don't get anymore unless they are ultra-cheap and short-term. Play marginal younger guys until the young minor league studs are ready and maybe through the Cody Asches or Jacob Mays or Adam Engels you find an Avi Garcia or Leury Garcia or Yolmer Sanchez rebirth.. Who cares if you win 65 games instead of 71 ?  All you need are WARM BODIES that have some business in the majors when you rebuild.  I'm not talking about Little Leaguers.

You are either contender or not, not some straddling half-ass version of both.  That was the Sox problem in 2015-2016. They didn't fully purge their crappola.   But when you rebuild you don't worry about the crappola. Play your marginal marginal young guys and commit the lowest money possible to short-term vets until the real players arrive in late 2019.  Just look at the most expensive FA pickup of 2017 - Derek Holland at $ 6mil which was an overpay of $ 5 mil.  They might as well have gotten another Pelfrey (which Holland was) for $ 1 mil.

The Braves tried this half-ass strategy in 2017, taking a 68 win team in 2016 and then adding $ 40 mil of payroll to "fill the holes" with Brandon Phillips, RA Dickey, Colon and Jaime Garcia.    Sure enough these guys added a net 3 more wins, just enough to bump them down 2 more slots in the 2018 draft.  And nary a one of them drew flies when they were traded midseason.  That's the roadmap of how NOT to do a rebuild.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am

Avisail Garcia is a completely different situation than Cody Asche

Contrary to the silliness of this board, Garcia was always going to be the 2017 RF

Plus he was 25 to start the year.  Yolmer was 24.  So quit confusing them with the 28 years olds you demanded a couple posts ago

And the real crapola is your over simplistic black and white definitions that you are either a contender or your not.

The only 25 and under player I would be blocking is Wily Garcia who you claim can't play CF anyway.  And then you wonder why I claim you're a double talker that deliberately disagrees with me.

Maybe you should try to understand the game instead of insisting its a linear equation.  If you did that, you'd quickly recognize that my desire for external solutions focus on defense which would clearly help the young pitchers.  However your ego won't let you get past this 65 v 71 wins nonsense.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

The Braves tried this half-ass strategy in 2017, taking a 68 win team in 2016 and then adding $ 40 mil of payroll to "fill the holes" with Brandon Phillips, RA Dickey, Colon and Jaime Garcia.    Sure enough these guys added a net 3 more wins, just enough to bump them down 2 more slots in the 2018 draft.  And nary a one of them drew flies when they were traded midseason.  That's the roadmap of how NOT to do a rebuild.

Talk about a straw man argument!!!!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Avisail Garcia is a completely different situation than Cody Asche
    Contrary to the silliness of this board, Garcia was always going to be the 2017 RF
    Plus he was 25 to start the year.  Yolmer was 24.  So quit confusing them with the 28 years olds you demanded a couple posts ago
    And the real crapola is your over simplistic black and white definitions that you are either a contender or your not.
    The only 25 and under player I would be blocking is Wily Garcia who you claim can't play CF anyway.  And then you wonder why I claim you're a double talker that deliberately disagrees with me.
    Maybe you should try to understand the game instead of insisting its a linear equation.  If you did that, you'd quickly recognize that my desire for external solutions focus on defense which would clearly help the young pitchers.  However your ego won't let you get past this 65 v 71 wins nonsense.

If your focus is on defense to help the young pitchers, then you should be happy with Leury Garcia who was a better defensive CFer than Lorenzo Cain last year.  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:05 am