Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Mass shooting

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Mass shooting

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am

Figured I'd put this here as a place to vent.  It's perhaps too soon, but in a week it'll be forgotten.  I view "death by mass shooting" now as one of the regular risks in life, just like car accidents, lightning strikes, and falling off my roof while cleaning gutters.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Re: Mass shooting

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:41 pm

What is despicable is murder on a mass scale being politicized.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Politics and culture are so comingled anymore, is politicization even avoidable?
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:46 pm

It is truly a pathetic state of affairs.

All of this media fueled political garbage.

The borderline hysteria.

Pick a side.  Throw logic to the wind.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I don't even know how to define "politicizing" it anymore.  If someone uses this to push gun control, are they politicizing it?  Do we need to wait a week?  If we wait a week, won't there be some new hurricane or earthquake's stealing everyone's attention?  Just asking the questions.  I'm sort of numb to it anymore, which is really fucking sad.  Nobody has the will to fight the NRA, so we just live with it, I guess.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 am

THAT'S RIGHT, ALL THE NRA's FAULT

FUCK YOU FROM A LIFE MEMBER OF THIS FINE, FREEDOM FIGHTING ORGANIZATION
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:THAT'S RIGHT, ALL THE NRA's FAULT

Nobody said that, nor do I believe that anyone thinks that.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 am

On a separate note, the NRA serves only one purpose now....they are a lobby for gun manufacturers.  They exist to generate more sales of guns, however they need to make that happen.  I noticed the NRA is strongly against 3D printed guns, which is an inexplicable change of pace for them until you realize that the gun manufacturers cannot make money on people 3D printing their own guns.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:What is despicable is murder on a mass scale being politicized.

Goofy Sean Hannity led his show yesterday berating the left wing media for politicizing the even. He went on a ten minute rant about it. Um, hello Pot? This is the Kettle...
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am

I have a colleague, gun owner, hunter. He refuses to join the NRA. He actually got a phone call from them a few years ago, asking for a donation and a membership because "Obama is going to take your guns away." After he told them that as a legal gun owner and a believer in the second amendment that he was confident that Obama wasn't going to take his guns away from him, they (the NRA representative) hung up and haven't called him since.

The NRA, and other "social interest groups" on both sides of the political spectrum, exist only to make you fearful that the government is going to take away your rights.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 am

alohafri wrote:

I have a colleague, gun owner, hunter. He refuses to join the NRA. He actually got a phone call from them a few years ago, asking for a donation and a membership because "Obama is going to take your guns away." After he told them that as a legal gun owner and a believer in the second amendment that he was confident that Obama wasn't going to take his guns away from him, they (the NRA representative) hung up and haven't called him since.

The NRA, and other "social interest groups" on both sides of the political spectrum, exist only to make you fearful that the government is going to take away your rights.

Exactly.  They prey on your fears to get you to buy more.  After an incident like the one yesterday, gun sales always spike.  NRA sends out or implies warnings that this incident will cause gov't curtailment of gun rights, and everyone responds by buying more.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:36 am

alohafri wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:What is despicable is murder on a mass scale being politicized.

Goofy Sean Hannity led his show yesterday berating the left wing media for politicizing the even. He went on a ten minute rant about it. Um, hello Pot? This is the Kettle...

If politicizing the event leads to any kind of response that reduces the chances of a future incident, then isn't it worth it?  If I thought that a bunch of ranting and raving on Facebook or CNN or MSNBC would possibly pressure the public into pressuring legislators into acting, then it's worth it.  If now isn't a good time to politicize it, when is a good time?  In a week or two, this'll be forgotten as we deal with another earthquake or hurricane.  Why is NOW such a bad time to raise hell about unnecessary murder?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

If politicizing the event leads to any kind of response that reduces the chances of a future incident, then isn't it worth it?  If I thought that a bunch of ranting and raving on Facebook or CNN or MSNBC would possibly pressure the public into pressuring legislators into acting, then it's worth it.  If now isn't a good time to politicize it, when is a good time?  In a week or two, this'll be forgotten as we deal with another earthquake or hurricane.  Why is NOW such a bad time to raise hell about unnecessary murder?

It won't because people just can't resist name-calling, getting personal. Then the discussion stops. If I had a nickel for every "gun nut" or "repuglican" or "lib whack job" I heard or read yesterday, I could retire.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:36 am

alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

It won't because people just can't resist name-calling, getting personal. Then the discussion stops. If I had a nickel for every "gun nut" or "repuglican" or "lib whack job" I heard or read yesterday, I could retire.

You forgot Libtard.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

You forgot Libtard.

That too.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

But what exactly can be done ?  Stronger background checking wouldn't have stopped guys like the Vegas shooter who had no prior criminal history.  Bans on sales of assault weapons might make ready access of them tough but a person hell-bent on doing something will find ways to get them on the black market.

Ideally, you'd have gun shop owners reporting all purchases of assault rifles, automatic weapons and long-range rifles into a federal database much like Banks have to report transactions of a certain size.  A computer program could collate that information and flag purchasers of large amounts of such weapons and ammo. FBI could then investigate whether the purchaser has any red flags in his profile (e.g, political/religious fanatic, work/family/school problems, mental issues, etc) which show a possibility of using them for evil purposes.
    But while potential shooters could be ID'ed how can they be stopped before they do it ?   Their weapons can't be confiscated if they were legally purchased.  They can't be arrested or detained or even harassed for something they haven't done yet.  It would also be financially impossible to surveil these people 24-7. Plus, for every potential mass murderer how many others are just gun nuts who won't be shooting innocent people ?  You can be sure that latter group is well-represented by the NRA and other gun-advocate groups.
    While the idea of "doing something to stop all this" is appealing to us and it feels like something we should be able and MUST do, the reality may be we can't.  Someone who can't be tracked by law enforcement day and night, and will commit suicide (or expose himself to being shot) after taking out a lot of others lives may be next to impossible to stop before he does it.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

But what exactly can be done ?  Stronger background checking wouldn't have stopped guys like the Vegas shooter who had no prior criminal history.  Bans on sales of assault weapons might make ready access of them tough but a person hell-bent on doing something will find ways to get them on the black market.

Ideally, you'd have gun shop owners reporting all purchases of assault rifles, automatic weapons and long-range rifles into a federal database much like Banks have to report transactions of a certain size.  A computer program could collate that information and flag purchasers of large amounts of such weapons and ammo. FBI could then investigate whether the purchaser has any red flags in his profile (e.g, political/religious fanatic, work/family/school problems, mental issues, etc) which show a possibility of using them for evil purposes.
    But while potential shooters could be ID'ed how can they be stopped before they do it ?   Their weapons can't be confiscated if they were legally purchased.  They can't be arrested or detained or even harassed for something they haven't done yet.  It would also be financially impossible to surveil these people 24-7. Plus, for every potential mass murderer how many others are just gun nuts who won't be shooting innocent people ?  You can be sure that latter group is well-represented by the NRA and other gun-advocate groups.
    While the idea of "doing something to stop all this" is appealing to us and it feels like something we should be able and MUST do, the reality may be we can't.  Someone who can't be tracked by law enforcement day and night, and will commit suicide (or expose himself to being shot) after taking out a lot of others lives may be next to impossible to stop before he does it.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

ROGER GETS A 99% ON THIS POST.  HE LOSES A POINT FOR USING THE OFFENSIVE TERM GUN NUT.

As to Kevin's point, of course it gets personal.  As a life member of the NRA, I find it highly offensive that Mr RobZ defined the fine freedom fighting group I belong to as some kind of problem.  I also find it offensive that people like RobZ can't wait to get on their high horse regarding issues they know little about.    Its my understanding that this guy never married, never had kids and his father was a scumbag.  Maybe its the demise of the Traditional American family that helped turned this guy into a whacko.  Or maybe it was his gambling addiction.  Maybe someobdy should stand up to the Las Vegas congomerlate which glorifies reckless and irresponsible behavior.

This clown, besides having a gun license, also had a pilots license.  Had he crashed a small plane in order to kill as many as possible, would the RobZ's of the world be crying about how people could use planes as weapons.  Or was 9/11 not enough to make him numb to such attacks

PS, just heard this whack job was a retired accountant.  BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:23 pm

alohafri wrote:

THEY MUST HAVE CALLED ME NEXT.

TO PREVENT HILLARY FROM STEALING MY GUN, I WAS OFFERED A LIFE MEMBERSHIP FOR JUST $500 (normally $1500) AND I COULD PAY IT OFF AT $25 OVER 20 MONTHS

IT WAS A DEAL TO GOOD TO REFUSE.

PS, AS A BONUS, THEY SENT ME A KNIFE
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Politically active?  Does that mean sitting in front of a TV watching cable shows?  Does it mean posting on the Internet?

Let's see....Is nutso Mart still in ISIS captivity?
    Where were all the street riots promised by Cream?
    Where is the Trump Dictatorship promised by Sharpy?  After all, all GOP Congressmen and Senators vote as a united bloc, right?
    ROTFLMFAO!!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:04 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Good question.  What CAN be done?  I don't think I know, and I don't think you know, but I do know that something CAN be done that can affect positive change, whether it's measures to better regulate or control.  I'm not asking or demanding that we stop all gun crime.  That won't happen.  Guns aren't going away.  the 2nd Amendment ain't being amended.  

How about start by mandating that all guns be registered and serial numbered and titled, so that all transactions of guns are done through deeded ownership that tracks to the owner?  After that, how about create an indemnity program that pays all innocent victims of gun crimes (or accidents) through an indemnity fund that's funded by premiums paid by gun owners based on paying a lifetime premium for each gun based upon the relative actuarial likelihood of deaths from that type of gun?  i.e. hunting rifle or hunting shotgun = VERY low premium into the indemnity fund.  revolver/6-shooter = low premium/low likelihood of gun crime or accidental death.  semi-aut handgun = higher premium/higher likelihood.  Semi autom rifle/assault weapon = highest premium.  All of these premiums are kept in a fund that indemnifies death by criminal use of guns at something like $1 million to the family, or some smaller amount for permanent injuries, akin to how work comp laws work.  The fund could pay some other amount for death by accident, etc.  Granted, it would raise the costs of owning a gun, but seeing as how guns are so severely hindering, hampering and reducing the American experience, it seems a price worth paying.  

All guns used in crimes and recovered could be tracked back to titled owner, just like cars.  National gun registry.  Guns tracking back to owners that were not reported lost or stolen would result in fines or loss of ownership privileges is used in commission of a crime.

Before you start telling me this could never work, I call bullshit and just note that some version of this could very much work, and be de-bugged, and at the very least be made to reduce the access of guns in such simple fashion to anyone wanting them.  Criminals could still get them, but it would become harder.  There'd be more hurdles.  More expense.  More accountability.  Maybe it saves one life in year one, and by year 10 is saving 10 or 20 lives, but we've gotta start somewhere.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

This clown, besides having a gun license, also had a pilots license.  Had he crashed a small plane in order to kill as many as possible, would the RobZ's of the world be crying about how people could use planes as weapons.  Or was 9/11 not enough to make him numb to such attacks

PS, just heard this whack job was a retired accountant.  BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID.

There's a notable difference between the use of guns in crimes and your weak and lazy use of planes to kill people (or others who use knives or cars...).  Planes are created for flying people around.  Using one to kill people is a rare misuse of an airplane, and 99.99% of the time, an airplane is used for a more efficient and useful purpose.  Guns are made for shooting people or to be used to coerce people (for hopefully positive reasons such as preventing crime).  I'm not hearing much about any positive public uses of guns for the sake of maintaining order or safety.  I realize cops carry them and maintain order...usually.  The military carries them and maintains order.  But I don't know if the public is maintaining order.  Most of the time I hear about the use of a gun, it's to kill or harm folks.  Haven't seen a lotta stories about some sap successfully defending his family or property with a gun.  Every now and then, but not often.  So it appears to me that guns exist for two reasons.  1. To kill innocent people and 2. To defend oneself against killers and thieves.  Seems we're having quite a few of #1.  Not sure we're getting much #2.  If cars and airplanes were careening out of control and killing people seemingly as often as they were getting people safely to work, they'd be talking about getting rid of cars and planes.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 pm

It would be nice to see some kind of thoughtful and empathetic approach to regulating gun use and ownership in a way that might begin to reduce the senseless uses of them.  Not sure how we do it, but it would be nice to see both parties working on it and telling the NRA to go fuck itself (since the NRA will be against anything that means less gun sales) as it seeks out a common ground that might reduce the carnage.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:58 pm

I am quite sure the Democrats and Republicans will get together just as soon as they are ALL not bought and paid off by lobbyists.

NRA cash talks....Thoughts and Prayers walk.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:11 pm

I am quite sure you are correct.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    All guns used in crimes and recovered could be tracked back to titled owner, just like cars.  National gun registry.  Guns tracking back to owners that were not reported lost or stolen would result in fines or loss of ownership privileges is used in commission of a crime.
    Before you start telling me this could never work, I call bullshit and just note that some version of this could very much work, and be de-bugged, and at the very least be made to reduce the access of guns in such simple fashion to anyone wanting them.  Criminals could still get them, but it would become harder.  There'd be more hurdles.  More expense.  More accountability.  Maybe it saves one life in year one, and by year 10 is saving 10 or 20 lives, but we've gotta start somewhere.

Agree we should seriously consider anything that makes it more difficult for a would-be mass murderer to obtain guns/ammo or increases the chances of intercepting him before he can do it. Making guns or ammo more expensive may put them beyond the financial reach of some % of bad people, but it would also put them beyond reach of some people who want them for self-defense.  OF course, politically the gun lobby would never allow this to happen.

National registration of gun purchases would be an aid to law enforcement provided they can legally and practically act on those records in concert with other information.  The case of the disturbed 23 year old who killed 7 people in Santa Barbara several years ago shows why.  California requires every gun's purchaser and weapon be logged into the State's database. He had bought handguns from several dealers a couple years earlier and there was no negative acts on his record.  Afterwards, he had a pattern of bizarre behavior and anti-Asian, anti-women posts on You Tube plus skirmishes with individuals in his apartment building.  He posted a manifesto on You Tube saying he'd had guns and might exact revenge on people who had offended him.  A mental health worker saw that and contacted SB police who went to his apartment and questioned him but didn't cross-reference the state gun ownership database and didn't search his apartment.   His parents got another warning from their son's therapist who saw his final manifesto stating "tomorrow is the day" which detailed what he'd do. They called the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Dept but it was too late. Families of the victims filed lawsuits against the county, Sheriff's Dept. and even the property management co. of the apartment complex alleging they failed to take appropriate action on clear warning signs while there was still time.

But exactly what preventative steps can practically and legally be taken by authorities ?  SB County deputies had interviewed the shooter three weeks prior but concluded that based on his answers he wasn't a threat. The suit alleges the Dept failed to read his online Manifestos and check the state gun purchase database, the combination of which might have triggered a search of his apartment.  But legally could they have confiscated weapons at that point when there was only the possibility of a crime ?  This could get very sticky if guns could be confiscated based just on online videos.   That to me is the crux of the matter. Once you have the information at hand, what can and should be done about it ?

In a free society with 1st, 2nd and 4th Amendment (search/seizure) rights the ability of law enforcement to detain, search, confiscate weapons, and/or arrest based on speech and expression of ideas (even hateful ones) is limited.   Whatever laws we enact have to be surgically aimed at the exact evils... Law enforcement needs to be able to legally do more when they discover people who own guns ( particularly assault rifles) and/or other devices like those turning semi-automatic rifles into automatic ones  and then discover other information that suggesting they may be used to assault other people.  I believe some would-be bombers have been intercepted due to aggressive law enforcement interdiction on that basis.   Maybe because there is no lobbyist group working to protect Bombers. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:03 pm