Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Exit Velocity!!

    Share
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1064
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 am

    I'm turning Japanese!!!
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 am

    WANT TO KNOW HOW FULL OF MEANS THESE PEOPLE WHO NEVER PLAYED THE GAME, OR KISSED A GIRL ARE?!?!?!?!


    THE KARK JUST GOOGLED MLB EXIT VELOCITY LEADERS AND CAME ACROSS A SITE CALLED STATCAST


    SUPPOSEDLY SOME BULLSHIT FORMULA HAS AVISAIL GARCIA AT 96.  HIS EXIT VELOCITY AVERAGE IS 89.8mph


    #2 ON THE LIST IS IS JD MARTINEZ.  HIS AVERAGE EXIT VELOCITY IS 90.5mph


    NOT EVEN A MILE PER HOUR DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!


    GARCIA IS 6'4", STRONG AS A BULL, AND VERY QUICK FOR A BIG MAN.


    THAT IS WHY THE WHITE SOX GAVE HIM ONE MORE CHANCE.


    NOT SOME BULLSHIT RISK ANALYSIS.  NOT SOME BULLSHIT FORMULA.  IT WAS ALL TOOLS RELATED.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7238
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:WANT TO KNOW HOW FULL OF MEANS THESE PEOPLE WHO NEVER PLAYED THE GAME, OR KISSED A GIRL ARE?!?!?!?!


    THE KARK JUST GOOGLED MLB EXIT VELOCITY LEADERS AND CAME ACROSS A SITE CALLED STATCAST


    SUPPOSEDLY SOME BULLSHIT FORMULA HAS AVISAIL GARCIA AT 96.  HIS EXIT VELOCITY AVERAGE IS 89.8mph


    #2 ON THE LIST IS IS JD MARTINEZ.  HIS AVERAGE EXIT VELOCITY IS 90.5mph


    NOT EVEN A MILE PER HOUR DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!


    GARCIA IS 6'4", STRONG AS A BULL, AND VERY QUICK FOR A BIG MAN.


    THAT IS WHY THE WHITE SOX GAVE HIM ONE MORE CHANCE.


    NOT SOME BULLSHIT RISK ANALYSIS.  NOT SOME BULLSHIT FORMULA.  IT WAS ALL TOOLS RELATED.

    I got your tool for ya, right down here.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2574
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:12 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:WANT TO KNOW HOW FULL OF MEANS THESE PEOPLE WHO NEVER PLAYED THE GAME, OR KISSED A GIRL ARE?!?!?!?!


    THE KARK JUST GOOGLED MLB EXIT VELOCITY LEADERS AND CAME ACROSS A SITE CALLED STATCAST


    SUPPOSEDLY SOME BULLSHIT FORMULA HAS AVISAIL GARCIA AT 96.  HIS EXIT VELOCITY AVERAGE IS 89.8mph


    #2 ON THE LIST IS IS JD MARTINEZ.  HIS AVERAGE EXIT VELOCITY IS 90.5mph


    NOT EVEN A MILE PER HOUR DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!


    GARCIA IS 6'4", STRONG AS A BULL, AND VERY QUICK FOR A BIG MAN.


    THAT IS WHY THE WHITE SOX GAVE HIM ONE MORE CHANCE.


    NOT SOME BULLSHIT RISK ANALYSIS.  NOT SOME BULLSHIT FORMULA.  IT WAS ALL TOOLS RELATED.

    Garcia has had this kind of physique for some while now.  It's not like he grew 4 inches over the offseason.  Despite these great tools, he hit like shit for 3 solid years and his defense was so bad they made him DH in 2016. Yet we're to believe that Sox front office was eager to tender this toolsy stud to play RF.  Because  front offices should act like goofy fanboys instead of business people.

    The business logic for Sox was easy in 2017.  A- Team wasn't contending  B- Avi's financial risk was limited.  C - No one else in the system looked any better  D- At age 26 and his physical attributes, he might finally have a breakout and if not, no big deal.  He was virtually a no risk shot with potential high reward. Who wouldn't make that deal ? Yet the fairy tale persists that someone believed this would be Avi's big year.  That guy should be choosing stocks and picking NFL games for a living instead of working for Reinsdorf.  


    BTW, "Average" velocity off the bat is misleading.  The key is % of balls over 100 mph+ and Garcia improved that % this year.  However, he didn't improve his % of 100 mph+ groundballs to warrant a 160 pt jump in his BA off them.  So we shall see what the future holds.  
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 am

    I VOTED FOR AVISAIL GARCIA BEFORE A VOTED AGAINST HIM!!!!!


    NOW LET'S ALL DANCE THE BIBITY BOBITY BABIP!!!!


    SOPMEOBDY MIGHT EVEN GET LUCKY WITH A GROUNDBALL!!!
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 am

    rmapasad wrote:


    I JUST LOVE HOW ROGER CONTRADICTS HIMSELF!!!!!  GARCIA SUCKS BUT LETS SIGN HIM ANYWAY!!!!

    The business logic for Sox was easy in 2017.  A- Team wasn't contending 

    COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS IF YOU THINK GARCIA SUCKS.
    B- Avi's financial risk was limited.

    COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS IF YOU THINK GARCIA SUCKS.
      C - No one else in the system looked any better

    COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS IF YOU THINK GARCIA SUCKS.
      D- At age 26 and his physical attributes, he might finally have a breakout and if not, no big deal.

    THIS IS JUST PLAIN ASS BACKWARDS.  YOU EITHER THINK A GAMBLE HAS A GOOD CHANCE TO PAY OFF OR YOU DON'T TAKE THE GAMBLE.  AND TO CLAIM FAILURE IS NO BIG DEAL IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF YOUR FLAWED LOGIC

      He was virtually a no risk shot with potential high reward. Who wouldn't make that deal ? Yet the fairy tale persists that someone believed this would be Avi's big year.

    THE ONLY FAIRY TALE IS YOUR OUT RIGHT LIE THAT THE WHITE SOX FRONT OFFICE PRACTICALLY GAVE UP ON GARCIA BUT DECIDED TO PLAY HIM ANYWAY BECAUSE THEY WHERE INCAPABLE OF FINDING SOMEBODY THEY THOUGHT WOULD BE BETTER.


    YOU TRIED PULLING OFF A SIMILIAR LIE 3 MONTHS AGO STATING MONCADA SHOULD MOVE TO THE OUTFIELD BECAUSE THE WHITE SOX MIGHT WOULD BE HAVE PROBABLY FINDING A OUTFIELDER BETTER THAN YOLMER SANCHEZ.  A WEEK LATER, ELROY JIMINEZ AND BLAKE RUTHERFORD WHERE ACQUIRED


    SO SPARE US YOU PHONY BALONY BULLSHIT ABOUT HOW THE WHITE SOX WERE LAUGHING AT KENNY WILLIAMS AND HIS DEFENSE OF GARCIA'S TOOL.  THE TEAM KEPT GARCIA BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT HE COULD TURN IT AROUND.


    SO LET'S GIVE CREDIT TO THE WHITE SOX.  JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY ON THIS BOARD NONTENDERS HIM.  THANKFULLY, THE WHITE SOX HAD MORE PATIENCE AND REALIZED THERE ARE MORE TO THE GAME THEN STATS
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1064
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 pm

    Exit Velocity gives me wood!!
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7238
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by alohafri on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:16 pm

    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Exit Velocity gives me wood!!

    I spank the monkey reading Bill James.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:38 pm

    alohafri wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Exit Velocity gives me wood!!

    I spank the monkey reading Bill James.



    NORMAL PEOPLE SPANK IT WATCHING JENNA JAMES
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7497
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:16 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Exit Velocity gives me wood!!

    I spank the monkey reading Bill James.



    NORMAL PEOPLE SPANK IT WATCHING JENNA JAMES

    Isn't she old and on social security by now?
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:59 pm

    Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Exit Velocity gives me wood!!

    I spank the monkey reading Bill James.



    NORMAL PEOPLE SPANK IT WATCHING JENNA JAMES

    Isn't she old and on social security by now?


    SHE STILL YOUNG AND HOT ON VIDEO
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7497
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:14 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Exit Velocity gives me wood!!

    I spank the monkey reading Bill James.



    NORMAL PEOPLE SPANK IT WATCHING JENNA JAMES

    Isn't she old and on social security by now?


    SHE STILL YOUNG AND HOT ON VIDEO

    Hasn't she been out of the business for like 10-15 yrs?
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2574
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by rmapasad on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    SO LET'S GIVE CREDIT TO THE WHITE SOX.  JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY ON THIS BOARD NONTENDERS HIM.  THANKFULLY, THE WHITE SOX HAD MORE PATIENCE AND REALIZED THERE ARE MORE TO THE GAME THEN STATS

    YOU are the only person I recall saying he should be non-tendered. Because it made no common sense to non-tender him.

    Sox wouldn't save any real money.  Nor did cutting Avi open the playing time door for a better player.  There were no other better players in house and Sox weren't about to sign an expensive free agent. With so little to gain from non-tendering him, what was there to lose ?  You lose the chance that if a 26 year old finally turns it around, he's gone. 
    Sox used same logic with Avi as they did with Sanchez, Leury, Saladino, Davidson, Tilson and even Brett Lawrie.  Tendered them contracts despite skepticism and/or  misgivings about their recent track record.  They all were cheap, had shown enough flashes of talent and were young enough to warrant one more shot.  That's all the "belief" that was necessary to tender these guys.

    So this story about the magical, mystical belief of Kenny Williams in Avi Garcia is just laughable.  Even if Kenny was right about his vision for Avi in 2017, that's pretty unimpressive since he was wrong three other times.  Getting only 1 in 4 predictions right is pretty lousy.  Besides, nobody thought Garcia would hit .300+ this year.   

    Sox deserve no special credit for "patience" with Avi Garcia because they had same patience with Leury, Davidson, Sanchez, Saladino, Narvaez, Engel, MAy, Hanson, etc... It's called rebuilding which means you give younger players with enough modicum of talent a chance to play and see which ones survive.



     




























     
     














    .
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7238
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by alohafri on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 pm

    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    SO LET'S GIVE CREDIT TO THE WHITE SOX.  JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY ON THIS BOARD NONTENDERS HIM.  THANKFULLY, THE WHITE SOX HAD MORE PATIENCE AND REALIZED THERE ARE MORE TO THE GAME THEN STATS

    YOU are the only person I recall saying he should be non-tendered. Because it made no common sense to non-tender him.

    Sox wouldn't save any real money.  Nor did cutting Avi open the playing time door for a better player.  There were no other better players in house and Sox weren't about to sign an expensive free agent. With so little to gain from non-tendering him, what was there to lose ?  You lose the chance that if a 26 year old finally turns it around, he's gone. 
    Sox used same logic with Avi as they did with Sanchez, Leury, Saladino, Davidson, Tilson and even Brett Lawrie.  Tendered them contracts despite skepticism and/or  misgivings about their recent track record.  They all were cheap, had shown enough flashes of talent and were young enough to warrant one more shot.  That's all the "belief" that was necessary to tender these guys.

    So this story about the magical, mystical belief of Kenny Williams in Avi Garcia is just laughable.  Even if Kenny was right about his vision for Avi in 2017, that's pretty unimpressive since he was wrong three other times.  Getting only 1 in 4 predictions right is pretty lousy.  Besides, nobody thought Garcia would hit .300+ this year.   

    Sox deserve no special credit for "patience" with Avi Garcia because they had same patience with Leury, Davidson, Sanchez, Saladino, Narvaez, Engel, MAy, Hanson, etc... It's called rebuilding which means you give younger players with enough modicum of talent a chance to play and see which ones survive.



     




























     
     














    .

    I remember arguing that he should play this year but not be extended unless he showed improvement that warranted keeping him. Maybe that means "non-tendered" in Polish.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 am

    YOU are the only person I recall saying he should be non-tendered. Because it made no common sense to non-tender him.


    *****************************************


    All your proving with this statement is that you have a bad memory


    You do realize at least 1/2 the board disappeared on Nov 9th


    Besides, was their even a discussion beginning of December, or was it 2 months later


    Anyway, it is you that is keeping this silly arguments going by insisting we validate you imaginary front office conversation regarding some risk analysis which probably never happened.  which is my Polish way of saying it didn't go down like you said it went


    Maybe you should quit being so miserable and just accept the White Sox made the correct call and the KARK was proven wrong about something.  I have no issue with that.  What gets me pig biting mad is your mind numbing double talk which can be paraphrased as the following:


    Garcia sucks, but lets keep him anyway on the off chance he might develop, but now that he developed, lets move him before people find out its a bunch of lucky groundball hits fueling his fluke of a batting average.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2574
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by rmapasad on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:Maybe you should quit being so miserable and just accept the White Sox made the correct call and the KARK was proven wrong about something.  I have no issue with that.  What gets me pig biting mad is your mind numbing double talk which can be paraphrased as the following:


    Garcia sucks, but lets keep him anyway on the off chance he might develop, but now that he developed, lets move him before people find out its a bunch of lucky groundball hits fueling his fluke of a batting average.

    So the Sox decision about tendering people doesn't really come down to a business-like risk/benefit analysis, it's a game of "let's predict exactly who will be good and who won't and if we don't think they'll be good we'll cut 'em no matter whether we are contending or not, how young they are and how much they cost." This is all about who believes in a player or not..
    So who believed Lawrie would turn the corner and voted to tender him ?  Who thought Saladino was going to be good ?  Who bought into keeping Davidson, who's basically Adam Dunn without the walks ?  What knucklehead came up with the idea to sign Liriano or Asche ?  Whose bright idea was it to have MAy play CF when Tilson went down ?  For that matter which clown in the front office thought keeping Tilson was a good move ?
    But kudos to those that BELIEVED IN Avi Garcia, Leury Garcia, Yolmer and Narvaez.  I guess they just knew something about those guys that told them 2017 would be the year they'd finally turn the corner.
    So let's promote the people that KNEW which guys to believe in and fire all the front office yo-yo's that picked the wrong guys. Don't they realize how much damage their bad picks caused the Sox this year ?
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2574
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by rmapasad on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 am

    What gets me pig biting mad is your mind numbing double talk which can be paraphrased as the following:
    Garcia sucks, but lets keep him anyway on the off chance he might develop, but now that he developed, lets move him before people find out its a bunch of lucky groundball hits fueling his fluke of a batting average.>


    As Reagan would say, "there you go again" PARAPHRASING someone else's position so as to construct the straw man you want to knock down.  
    You damn well know EXACTLY what I said about Avi before the season: he had a modest chance of improving enough to get out of the basement, and a fairly slim chance of turning into a stud.  But it was worth taking those chances on him as he was in the same boat with all the other marginal under 27 year olds I thought the Sox should keep.  Which the Sox ACTUALLY did in tendering not only Avi, but Leury, Davidson, Tilson, Lawrie, Sanchez, Saladino, etc.  
    In fact, I don't think the front office gave much thought to non-tendering Avi. If they tendered Davidson, Lawrie and Sanchez why would they non-tender Avi ?

    As to Avi's "development" this year, I think he's turned into a semi-stud.  Some power increase but not enough to call him a true stud.  Because he's hitting the ball harder more often, he's also likely to have escaped the mid-200's BA and is more of a high 200's guy going forward, but I don't see his luck holding up to make him a perennial 300+ hitter in the future.  So yes, it's worth keeping Avi in the fold to see what other development he can make but not worth signing him to a 5 year deal at $ 65-70 mil.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 am

    thank you for the revisionist history


    too bad Avi Garcia's unsustainable first half babip of 371 is now 423 for the second half


    too bad his mediocre first half ISO of 187 is now 166 in the 2nd half.


    And if you want exact quotes, it was you that claimed his first two weeks were fueled by lucky groundball hits until the power kicked in.  I was you that claimed his babip in the first half would lead to a decrease in OPS in the second half.  I believe 780 was your prediction


    Well guess what.  The power disappeared and the lucky groundballs came back with a vengenace and Garcia's 2nd half OPS is currently 942.  Almost 100 points better than his first half 850


    But the really issue isn't Avisail Garcia.  the real issue is that you just love pissing on people's parade with a bunch of cherry picked stats while claiming you are logically superior to those who disagree.  and if that doesn't work, you invent imaginary conversation about how Kenny Williams was practically laughed out of the front office because he places more importance on tools that than stats.


    Newsflash.  Kenny Williams is bushels smarter than you and Tom Tango.  Bushels smarter

    tongue
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2574
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:35 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:too bad Avi Garcia's unsustainable first half babip of 371 is now 423 for the second half
    too bad his mediocre first half ISO of 187 is now 166 in the 2nd half.
    And if you want exact quotes, it was you that claimed his first two weeks were fueled by lucky groundball hits until the power kicked in.  I was you that claimed his babip in the first half would lead to a decrease in OPS in the second half.  I believe 780 was your prediction
    Well guess what.  The power disappeared and the lucky groundballs came back with a vengenace and Garcia's 2nd half OPS is currently 942.  Almost 100 points better than his first half 850
    But the really issue isn't Avisail Garcia.  the real issue is that you just love pissing on people's parade with a bunch of cherry picked stats while claiming you are logically superior to those who disagree.  and if that doesn't work, you invent imaginary conversation about how Kenny Williams was practically laughed out of the front office because he places more importance on tools that than stats.
    Newsflash.  Kenny Williams is bushels smarter than you and Tom Tango.  Bushels smarter
    Pissing on parades ?  You pissed on this guy for three  months saying he wasn't even worth the gamble of $ 700 K to bring to Spring Training and poo-pooed any evidence  he'd get out of the basement. So  he hits a handful more HR's, catches a few more flyballs, and has this outer-worldly .393 BABIP
    and you do this complete about-face.  Now the Sox should lock him up on a long-term deal.  Talk about wild inconsistency.  Don't give me any of this "admit I'm wrong" crap either.  It's just crazy for someone to go from 20 below zero on a guy to 80 above.  It means you were wrong for being too extreme on him before and you're wrong for being too extreme the other way now.  

    I went from 35 above to 55 above on Garcia this year, and I'm sticking to my guns.   

    As to fantasy yarns about the WS front office, yours takes the cake.  Even if there was skepticism about Garcia  same could be said about Lawrie, Sanchez, Davidson, and Leury Garcia. But they all got tendered for same reasons - Sox not contending, small financial risk, still young, enough talent to improve, no one else in system to replace them immediately
    But because YOU were so hell-bent against Avi and felt that the rest of Board believed the same, you probably feel he had "no-tender" votes in the Sox FO too.  So in this yarn, Kenny singles Avi out for rescue because of his impassioned belief in Garcia's tools.  
    But if this IMAGINARY impassioned defense been made, it could have been like the scenario that Michael Lewis describes in Moneyball where scouts are raving about a guy's beautiful swing, his athleticism, etc.  and Billy Beane picks up the guy's stat sheet and asks "if he's such a great hitter, why hasn't he hit ?"  Perfect question to ask about Avi Garcia in Dec 2016.
     IMO Kenny was smart enough to go with the combo of tools/business case - still really like this guy's talent, maybe a breakout is coming, won't cost much, nobody else around.  But I seriously doubt that he had to do any impassioned defense of Avi... If they could tender Lawrie, Leury or Sanchez, why wouldn't they also tender Avi ?





    .
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2093
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:33 pm

    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:too bad Avi Garcia's unsustainable first half babip of 371 is now 423 for the second half
    too bad his mediocre first half ISO of 187 is now 166 in the 2nd half.
    And if you want exact quotes, it was you that claimed his first two weeks were fueled by lucky groundball hits until the power kicked in.  I was you that claimed his babip in the first half would lead to a decrease in OPS in the second half.  I believe 780 was your prediction
    Well guess what.  The power disappeared and the lucky groundballs came back with a vengenace and Garcia's 2nd half OPS is currently 942.  Almost 100 points better than his first half 850
    But the really issue isn't Avisail Garcia.  the real issue is that you just love pissing on people's parade with a bunch of cherry picked stats while claiming you are logically superior to those who disagree.  and if that doesn't work, you invent imaginary conversation about how Kenny Williams was practically laughed out of the front office because he places more importance on tools that than stats.
    Newsflash.  Kenny Williams is bushels smarter than you and Tom Tango.  Bushels smarter
    Pissing on parades ?  You pissed on this guy for three  months saying he wasn't even worth the gamble of $ 700 K to bring to Spring Training and poo-pooed any evidence  he'd get out of the basement. So  he hits a handful more HR's, catches a few more flyballs, and has this outer-worldly .393 BABIP
    and you do this complete about-face.

    BECAUSE I DON'T BUY INTO THIS BABIP BULLSHIT THE WAY YOU DO

      Now the Sox should lock him up on a long-term deal.  Talk about wild inconsistency.  Don't give me any of this "admit I'm wrong" crap either.  It's just crazy for someone to go from 20 below zero on a guy to 80 above.  It means you were wrong for being too extreme on him before and you're wrong for being too extreme the other way now.  

    WHAT A GROSS DISTORTION OF WHAT REALLY HAPPENED!!!!  THE MAN IMPROVED, JUST LIKE YOU THOUGHT HE MIGHT.  IF ANYBODY IS INCONSISTANT, ITS YOU.  FOCUSING ON SOME BULLSHIT STAT.  NOT TO MENTION HOW YOU DIDN'T START YOUR LUCKY GROUNDBALL NONSENSE UNTIL AFTER THE KARK ADMITTED HE WAS WRONG AND GOT ON THE GARCIA BANDWAGON.  THEN YOU WONDER WHY I THINK YOU DELIBERATELY DISAGREE WITH ME

    I went from 35 above to 55 above on Garcia this year, and I'm sticking to my guns.   

    STICK TO THEM.  FROM WHAT I SEE, THEY FORM A CIRCULAR FIRING SQUAD

    As to fantasy yarns about the WS front office, yours takes the cake.  Even if there was skepticism about Garcia  same could be said about Lawrie, Sanchez, Davidson, and Leury Garcia. But they all got tendered for same reasons

    EXCUSE ME, BUT I JUST CAUGHT YOU IN ANOTHER FALSEHOOD.  LAWRIE WAS THE ONLY ONE ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE.  SO TO INCLUDE PLAYERS THAT COULD SIMPLY BE RENEWED LIKE SANCHEZ AND DAVIDSON AND THE OTHER GARCIA IS INTELLECTUAL DISHONEST AND MISLEADING.  AND YOU WONDER WHY I THINK YOUR A LIAR

    - Sox not contending, small financial risk, still young, enough talent to improve, no one else in system to replace them immediately
    But because YOU were so hell-bent against Avi and felt that the rest of Board believed the same, you probably feel he had "no-tender" votes in the Sox FO too.  So in this yarn, Kenny singles Avi out for rescue because of his impassioned belief in Garcia's tools.  But if this IMAGINARY impassioned defense been made, it could have been like the scenario that Michael Lewis describes in Moneyball where scouts are raving about a guy's beautiful swing, his athleticism, etc.  and Billy Beane picks up the guy's stat sheet and asks "if he's such a great hitter, why hasn't he hit ?"  Perfect question to ask about Avi Garcia in Dec 2016.

    MORE REVISIONIST HISTORY.  YOU ARE THE ONE THAT SAID WILLIAMS WOULD BE LAUGHED OUT OF THE FRONT OFFICE.  

     IMO Kenny was smart enough to go with the combo of tools/business case - still really like this guy's talent, maybe a breakout is coming, won't cost much, nobody else around.  But I seriously doubt that he had to do any impassioned defense of Avi... If they could tender Lawrie, Leury or Sanchez, why wouldn't they also tender Avi ?


    LMAO!!!!  INVENTING MORE IMAGINARY CONVERSATION JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T ADMIT YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT WAS DISCUSSED.  AND I JUST LOVE HOW YOU ARE NOW THROWING EVERYBODY INTO THE SAME BASKET.  LMAO!!!!  AGAIN, I CAN INVENT SCENARIOS THAT ARE JUST AS PLAUSIBLE.


    GARCIA HAS THE TOOLS
    LAWRIE DESERVES A CHANCE TO RECOVER
    SANCHEZ CAN SIMPLY BE RENEWED
    DITTO DAVIDSON AND THE OTHER GARCIA.


    YOUR THE WHACK JOB INSISTING THAT IT HAD TO BE DONE WITH SOME KIND OF FORMULA ANALYSIS AND NOTHING ELSE.  AND THERE IS NOTHING I ENJOY MORE THAN BURSTING THE BUBBLES AND EXPOSING KNOW IT ALLS LIKE YOU.


    PS, GREAT JOB COMPLETELY IGNORING HOW HIS LUCKY BABIP GOT EVEN LUCKIER IN THE SECOND HALF.  CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW YOU LIE YOUR WAY OUT OF THAT ONE
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2574
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:45 pm

    EXCUSE ME, BUT I JUST CAUGHT YOU IN ANOTHER FALSEHOOD.  LAWRIE WAS THE ONLY ONE ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE.  SO TO INCLUDE PLAYERS THAT COULD SIMPLY BE RENEWED LIKE SANCHEZ AND DAVIDSON AND THE OTHER GARCIA IS INTELLECTUAL DISHONEST AND MISLEADING.  AND YOU WONDER WHY I THINK YOUR A LIAR  >>
    You're right - I was in error in saying that Leury, Sanchez and Davidson were "tendered" as in arbitration.  I conflated Lawrie and Garcia with the others who were out of options.   But they all faced a similar chopping block decision in March.  Out of option guys aren't "simple renewals". If the Sox didn't want to burn up a spot on the 25 man roster for an OOO guy, they had to put him on waivers.  If they didn't want to put Avi on the 25 man and pay him $ 3 mil but $ 750 K instead they had to cut him and let him become a free agent. 
    So in March's meeting to decide the 25 man, I think the decision to keep Avi was still easy due to lack of competition.  No one else stepped up in Spring Training.  Avi had a much better Spring than Liriano and Ashce wasn't a RFer.  IMO, the decision to keep Sanchez or Leury Garcia on the 25 man might have been tougher.


    PS, GREAT JOB COMPLETELY IGNORING HOW HIS LUCKY BABIP GOT EVEN LUCKIER IN THE SECOND HALF.  CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW YOU LIE YOUR WAY OUT OF THAT ONE>>
    He was in a zone this year.  No doubt about it.  Guys have had those kind of magical years.  So simple question: does maintaining this incredible BABIP in both first and second half prove that he has this permanent ability to hit singles at an unbelievable rate going forward ?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Exit Velocity!!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:33 pm