Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Sox's Peanuts Payroll for 2018

rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Sox's Peanuts Payroll for 2018

Post by rmapasad on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am

Just looking at what kind of salaries the Sox are committed to pay in 2018. Not much. Shields gets $ 10, Nate Jones $ 4, Anderson $ 1, Peavy $ 1 mil. Abreu may get bumped to $ 13 mil,  Avi Garcia to $ 6-7 mil.     Rodon, Sanchez, Davidson and Leury Garcia will get increases but collectively will be $ 7 mil tops. Rest of the roster could be league minimum salaries and bring total payroll under $ 60 million.

Sox ranked 26th in majors payroll this year at $ 94 million (v. avg team $ 154 million).  In 2018, they'll  likely be 29th in payroll and well below MLB lowest team total in 2017 - Brewers at $ 83 million.  

Not that the Sox should spend money for the sake of it.  2018 free agent class is the typical over-the-hill 32+ year olds.  Eric Hosmer is the youngest at 27. JD Martinez, Mike Moustakas and Lorenzo Cain are 30, and will be wanting nice paydays too.  Martinez is the best hitter available, but he could start to fade by 2019-2020 when Sox contend.   Ditto Cain and his wheels. 

One name worth considering is Alex Cobb at age 30.  Has had a nice rebound 2nd half and could help anchor the Sox rotation for next 3-4 years.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Re: Sox's Peanuts Payroll for 2018

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 am

THE KARK THINKS JONATHAN LUCROY MIGHT BE WORTH A GAMBLE

THE CATCHING AIN'T TOO HOT.  ZACH COLLINS AIN'T READY.  AND GIVEN THE NATURE OF THE POSITION, ITS GOING TO BE MORE OR LESS SHARED ANYWAY.

FOR 2018, A VETERAN CATCHER WITH A STRONG REP AS A HANDLER OF PITCHERS MAKES ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD GIVEN ALL THE YOUNG GUNS THAT WHITE SOX WILL CARRY IN 2018.

THE WHITE SOX ALSO NEED TO INVESTIGATE ACQUIRING A REAL LEADOFF HITTER.  A CF - LEADOFF MAN MAKES SENSE SINCE NON OF THE KIDS REALLY PROJECT AS A LEADOFF MAN, AND MOST APPEAR BETTER IN A CORNER.  SO MAYBE LORENZO CAIN MAKES SENSE.  BUT I DO NOT BREAK THE BANK TO GET HIM.  IF ANOTHER TEAM OFFERS HIM 5 YEARS, THEN MOVE TO PLAN B

LINEUP WISE, I WOULD THINK THE TALENT ACQUISTION PORTION OF THE REBUILD IS OVER.  THE INFIELD APPEARS TO BE IN PLACE ALREADY AT THE MLB LEVEL.  THE OUTFIELD OF SUPER PROSPECTS IS 2 YEARS AWAY.  I WOULDN'T MIND REPLACING ONE OF THE GARCIA TRIPLETS WITH AN ESTABLISHED PLAYER.

AS FAR AS PITCHING IS CONCERNED, NOT SURE IF THERE ARE ANY CHRIS SALE TYPES AVAILABLE.  PLUS IT MIGHT BE A YEAR TOO EARLY.  THE WHITE SOX HAVE A LOT OF YOUNG GUNS, BUT I WOULD TAKE THAT SLOWLY.  NO NEED TO RUSH THE KIDS.  ALSO NO NEED TO PUT UNNECESSARY INNING ON THOSE ARMS.  SO THE KARK TARGETS THE DOUG FISTERS OF THE WORLD.  NOT TO WIN NOW AS THESE BOARD FALSELY ACCUSED ME OF THIS SPRING.  BUT TO GIVE THE KOPECHS OF THE WORLD SOME TIME IN TRIPLE-A.  
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:THE KARK THINKS JONATHAN LUCROY MIGHT BE WORTH A GAMBLE

THE CATCHING AIN'T TOO HOT.  ZACH COLLINS AIN'T READY.  AND GIVEN THE NATURE OF THE POSITION, ITS GOING TO BE MORE OR LESS SHARED ANYWAY.

FOR 2018, A VETERAN CATCHER WITH A STRONG REP AS A HANDLER OF PITCHERS MAKES ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD GIVEN ALL THE YOUNG GUNS THAT WHITE SOX WILL CARRY IN 2018.

THE WHITE SOX ALSO NEED TO INVESTIGATE ACQUIRING A REAL LEADOFF HITTER.  A CF - LEADOFF MAN MAKES SENSE SINCE NON OF THE KIDS REALLY PROJECT AS A LEADOFF MAN, AND MOST APPEAR BETTER IN A CORNER.  SO MAYBE LORENZO CAIN MAKES SENSE.  BUT I DO NOT BREAK THE BANK TO GET HIM.  IF ANOTHER TEAM OFFERS HIM 5 YEARS, THEN MOVE TO PLAN B

LINEUP WISE, I WOULD THINK THE TALENT ACQUISTION PORTION OF THE REBUILD IS OVER.  THE INFIELD APPEARS TO BE IN PLACE ALREADY AT THE MLB LEVEL.  THE OUTFIELD OF SUPER PROSPECTS IS 2 YEARS AWAY.  I WOULDN'T MIND REPLACING ONE OF THE GARCIA TRIPLETS WITH AN ESTABLISHED PLAYER.

AS FAR AS PITCHING IS CONCERNED, NOT SURE IF THERE ARE ANY CHRIS SALE TYPES AVAILABLE.  PLUS IT MIGHT BE A YEAR TOO EARLY.  THE WHITE SOX HAVE A LOT OF YOUNG GUNS, BUT I WOULD TAKE THAT SLOWLY.  NO NEED TO RUSH THE KIDS.  ALSO NO NEED TO PUT UNNECESSARY INNING ON THOSE ARMS.  SO THE KARK TARGETS THE DOUG FISTERS OF THE WORLD.  NOT TO WIN NOW AS THESE BOARD FALSELY ACCUSED ME OF THIS SPRING.  BUT TO GIVE THE KOPECHS OF THE WORLD SOME TIME IN TRIPLE-A.  

Got a thing for those 31 year old Catchers, huh ? Yes, Lucroy in his prime and Narvaez as backup would be a great combo.  But has Lucroy lost it ?

Even though Lucroy was a stud in 2016, his OPS dove 180 pts this season. Sure, he's got a history of bouncing back from bad seasons, but lots of bad indicators in 2017. Hard hit balls went from 35% last year to 22% this year.  ISO plunged 100 pts, HR/FB dove from 15% to 5% and he ranks 414th in majors in exit velocity. These aren't trends you want to see in a 31+ year old Catcher.   He probably isn't finished yet but his days of being a top 5 Catcher may be.  Plus, he wants to re-sign with Colorado, and if the Rockies make some effort to keep him, then the price could get out of whack in order to compete with them. Like Wieters, his past reputation likely gets him more $$ than his most recent performance merits.

Although Narvaez isn't a frontline Catcher, he and Smith held the fort enough this year, particularly since Narvaez is so good defensively.  Rather than commit to a guy who'll be 33 and could be a payroll albatross by 2019, Sox could tread water with Narvaez and a cheaper vet to help pitchers develop in 2018.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Did Matt Wieters sign a one year contract? Maybe he would be a good signing! I wonder if Sandy Alomar, Jr. is looking for work.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm

apparently you 2 missed the 3 line in my thread.

and just love rogers last line in response.

Gotta name?!?!?!?

Or do you two still have the hots for Geo Soto
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 pm

BTW, Just love how Roger frets about Avisail Garcia and Tim Anderson, but talks up an absolute stiff like Omar Narvaez.  

Maybe statboy should see how long players with OBP higher than SLG last.  That is a helluva more concerning than the lucky groundball nonsense he constantly moans about
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:BTW, Just love how Roger frets about Avisail Garcia and Tim Anderson, but talks up an absolute stiff like Omar Narvaez.  

Maybe statboy should see how long players with OBP higher than SLG last.  That is a helluva more concerning than the lucky groundball nonsense he constantly moans about

Narvaez is no stiff. He lacks the power to be a good starting Catcher but he's a very solid backup type. He won't hurt a team offensively and is a plus defensively.  He ranked 20th in WAR among all Catchers in the majors. Where your hero, Wieters, was below replacement level and ranked 42nd. He was the true stiff.  Lucroy at 35th ranked wasn't much better.

Your obsession with Sox Catching position is puzzling as is this fixation on 32+ year old Catchers that were once good but probably aren't anymore.  This year, Sox catching was at 1.4 WAR, which is only 1/2 win below league average and not far behind AL division winners.  Red Sox were 1.6, Indians 1.8 and Astros were 2.4.   
    Unless the Sox intend to contend this year, there is no crying need to fix this fake Catching "crisis". Let Narvaez see if he can gain more power and snag another vet like Ianetta, Montero or even Alex Avila (840 OPS at age 30).  He was 6th ranked among all major league Catchers last year.

Collins could be ready by 2019 or 2020 latest, so I see no need to overpay a Wieters or Lucroy type
    ($ 20 mil+) for next couple years in hopes they still have something left in the tank.   When the Sox can get by with Narvaez and a vet (or even Brantly) next year . Plus they have Adam McGinnis and Seby Zevala (21 HRs this year) in the minor league system.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm

LMAO!!!!

IF I were touting Narvaez, you'd be all over his extreme lack of power and claim his 2017 performance was unsustainable due to his proven track record of weak ISO

And your obsession with 2nd string catchers is even more puzzzling

Not to mention your failure to comprehend that veteran gambles mean getting a guy north of 30

BTW, I thought you'd be able to figure out it would be Kevan Smith, not Narvaez that gets cut.  Isn't Smith 30?  WTF would you want this clown if a better option presented itself

As for contending, the Sox already have the nucleus within the org.  So why not fill obvious holes like a catcher and lead off?
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Payroll even LOWER for 2019.
    If you think there is some plan to contend in 2018, you need to go to SFOD meetings to discuss it with Murph.
    They will sign some more nearly washed up starting pitchers and try and flip them at the deadline.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Payroll even LOWER for 2019.
    If you think there is some plan to contend in 2018, you need to go to SFOD meetings to discuss it with Murph.
    They will sign some more nearly washed up starting pitchers and try and flip them at the deadline.

The Sox still need LeCroy so they can win 62 games instead of 60!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:25 am

alohafri wrote:

I GUESS YOU TWO GENIUSES HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING THE PIECES A YEAR OR TWO EARLIER.

OR ARE THE TWO OF YOU UNDER SOME KIND OF DELUSION THAT KEVAN SMITH IS THE NEW CARLTON FISK

PS, IF THE WHITE SOX ONLY WIN 60IN 2018, THEN THAT MEANS THE KIDS SUCK, WHICH WOULD BE A BAD THING.  BUT THEN, WHY LET LOGIC INTERFERE WITH DELIBERATELY DISAGREEING WITH THE KARK WITH ABSURD SMART ASS COMMENTS
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 am

HEY TEACH

YOU BETTER HAVE YOUR SAVANT BUDDY CHECK YOUR MATH

YOU IMPLICATION THAT ITS OK FOR THE WHITE SOX TO LOSE 100 A YEAR FOR 3 STRAIGHT YEARS UNDER THE NAME OF REBUILDING WILL SOME HOW LEAD TO 100 WINS IN 2020 IS ABSURD!!!!

A SANE PERSON SEES 65 WINS IN 2017 MEANS 75 IN 2018 AND 85 IN 2019 THEN 95 IN 2020

ALL THE IMPROVEMENT ISN'T COMING AT ONCE

TRY BEING WISE INSTEAD OF A WISE GUY
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 am

Kark's ideas are so brilliant, SFOD ought to send a limo for him to get to a meeting and discuss them with Murph, Howie, and Norm.

BELIEVE!!

SPANK THE MONKEY!!

WIN NOW-RELOAD!!

SHOOTERS ROCKED!!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I GUESS YOU TWO GENIUSES HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING THE PIECES A YEAR OR TWO EARLIER.

OR ARE THE TWO OF YOU UNDER SOME KIND OF DELUSION THAT KEVAN SMITH IS THE NEW CARLTON FISK

PS, IF THE WHITE SOX ONLY WIN 60IN 2018, THEN THAT MEANS THE KIDS SUCK, WHICH WOULD BE A BAD THING.  BUT THEN, WHY LET LOGIC INTERFERE WITH DELIBERATELY DISAGREEING WITH THE KARK WITH ABSURD SMART ASS COMMENTS

The only thing LeCroy is is a piece of trash that won't make the Sox compete any sooner than they will anyway, Murph, Jr.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:32 am

Murph wants A.J. !!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 am

Agree that the Sox should be into the 70's+ in wins for 2018 as a sign the pieces are gradually coming together.   
    But why is Lucroy, who's shown diminished pop in his bat this year at age 31, going to be a piece of the Sox's future in 2019-2020 ?   He was less valuable than Narvaez this year.  Not saying Lucroy is finished, or that he can't bounce back but I sure as hell don't expect a guy like him to be part of a Sox contender in 2019-2020 at ages 33-34.   Collins should be ready by then.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:36 am

Murph wants A.J. !!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:50 am

rmapasad wrote:Agree that the Sox should be into the 70's+ in wins for 2018 as a sign the pieces are gradually coming together.   
    But why is Lucroy, who's shown diminished pop in his bat this year at age 31, going to be a piece of the Sox's future in 2019-2020 ?   He was less valuable than Narvaez this year.  Not saying Lucroy is finished, or that he can't bounce back but I sure as hell don't expect a guy like him to be part of a Sox contender in 2019-2020 at ages 33-34.   Collins should be ready by then.

Smith and Navarez have done a pretty good job. The kids seem to like throwing to them. You are right. Collins should be ready by 2019 - 2020.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Apparently this board lacks reading comprehension

Maybe you people should try understanding the reasons, which I did spell out, and it wasn't some WIN NOW fantasy which is the distortion the board ran with

Now maybe Lucroy no longer fits the bill, but I stand by the underlying logic.  So if Lucroy doesn't fit the bill, find somebody else who does

And who really knows when Collins will be ready?  And even when he is, he'll need a mentor and a back up.  In fact, it might make sense to platoon Collins as a rookie.  A sane org starts looking now.  Kevan Smith is 30 next year and has no bat.  By 2019, he'll be a mi or league bullpen coach

The only reason not to Lecroy is if he costs too much.  So maybe we should be discussing Tyler Flowers
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Murph wants A.J. !!

THE KARK WANTS AJ LEE!!!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 pm

A mentor!!!!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 am

In the case of AJ Lee, DE - Mentor
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

rmapasad wrote:
    But why is Lucroy, who's shown diminished pop in his bat this year at age 31, going to be a piece of the Sox's future in 2019-2020 ?   

HEY EINSTEIN, IS LUCROY SUPPOSE TO BE A GOOD HANDLER OF PITCHERS?!?!?!?!?!?

YOU DON'T THINK THAT HELPS IN 2018 WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE PITCHING STAFF?!?!?!?

AND 33 ISN'T TOO OLD FOR A CATCHER

COLLINS IS GOING TO NEED A BACK UP AND A MENTOR

TRY THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX

AND IF COLORADO DECIDES TO OVERSPEND ON LUCROY, THEN FIND ANOTHER CATCHER!!!!!  I'M SURE THEY CAN FIND SOMEBODY BETTER THAN KEVAN SMITH
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 am

LORENZO CAIN FOR CF AND LEADOFF!!!!!!!

Now lets hear the term paper writer tout Adam Engel and this bullshit theory that wins b4 2020 don't count
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:15 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:LORENZO CAIN FOR CF AND LEADOFF!!!!!!!

Now lets hear the term paper writer tout Adam Engel and this bullshit theory that wins b4 2020 don't count

Sox have geared themselves for 2019-2020 with the trades made this year.   So why
    make win-now moves this winter and sign expensive free agents who will (a) be on the downslide of their careers by 2020 (b) be fixtures in the lineup nonetheless due to their salaries and (c) possibly block playing time for prospects coming up ? 
    You take as much of a chance of a guy like Cain losing his wheels and his value at age 34 as you do that a guy like Luis Robert will be a bust.  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 am