Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Giolito

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Giolito

Post by alohafri on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 am

I'm beginning to think he might be the real deal.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: Giolito

Post by rmapasad on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 am

alohafri wrote:I'm beginning to think he might be the real deal.

He is the real deal in terms of stuff.  Can get his FB into mid-high90's, good breaking ball and his changeup is really coming along.  Surprising that he's actually been better in majors (2.58 ERA) than AAA (4.48 ERA).
    He's had some good fortune in having balls hit right at fielders, especially when he's been in jams, thus the low ERA so far.   But he's a legit arm with a bright future.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:13 pm

There's more to pitching than the flawed stat of ERA

And yes, Giolito looks 4 real.

Now WTF with Rodon? 

The KARK is hoping Giolito Rodon and Lopez could get them to 500 in 2018.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:23 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:There's more to pitching than the flawed stat of ERA

And yes, Giolito looks 4 real.

Now WTF with Rodon? 

The KARK is hoping Giolito Rodon and Lopez could get them to 500 in 2018.

Ha! Good luck. Of course if they sign LeCroy they will win two additional games, so...
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:20 am

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF INCREMENTALISM.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:56 am

I have seen enough worthless statistics to last a lifetime.

The fucking object of pitching is to get outs. 

The object of pitching is NOT striking every batter out.

The Modern Era BLOWS and so do STATS!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:55 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:I have seen enough worthless statistics to last a lifetime.

And if you can't get lefties out as well as righties, you don't belong in the major leagues.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:I have seen enough worthless statistics to last a lifetime.

Stats have proliferated in the modern era.  But there is a reason for it.  The old stats that everyone used for decades like RBI's, Pitcher Wins, Bat Average, ERA have serious flaws.  They supposedly measure how good a player is, but in reality they often measure how lucky he was or how good his teammates were.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Fuck these idiotic modern stats.

A hit is a fucking hit if it is a line drive, a ground ball or a fucking duck snort.  A Kansas City Special is just as much a hit as a 475 foot home run.

When the modern game is swing for the fences, the modern stats mean SHIT!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Fuck these idiotic modern stats.

A hit is a fucking hit if it is a line drive, a ground ball or a fucking duck snort.  A Kansas City Special is just as much a hit as a 475 foot home run.

Most of these statheads have never watched a game. They wouldn't know a line drive from a Kansas City Special if they saw them with their own two eyes.

"Oh, but his OPS is much higher than his OPBSEBOTOS. He will hit really well against left-handed gay pitchers who were born in December during a snowstorm that resulted in 4 inches of snow that melted in two days."
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Fuck these idiotic modern stats.

Actual MLB players have always understood the basis of these modern stats.  Ted Williams said "swing with a little uppercut."  That produces line drives, doubles against the wall and HR's.  Now they use a different lingo like "elevate the ball" as though it's some new discovery...

If some fans want to still worship the groundball single, so be it.  Maybe some guys like Carew, Boggs or Gwynn had the ability to steer a ball through holes, but the minute we think someone else has discovered this, it's usually short-lived.  Conor Gillaspie had this "skill" for three months, until he suddenly didn't. 

The real skill I value, as do most actual players, is HITTING THE BALL FUCKING HARD.  64% of all balls hit over 100 mph + go for hits.  Something that works 64% of the time is worth doing.  If you can't do that then be able to run like the wind to beat out infield dribblers.   These concepts have been known to baseball players forever. But the Batting Average stat can reward other things like hitting 85 mph groundballs that sneak through the IF, or 70 mph bloops that just elude an IFer's outstretched glove.   Things that are actually FAILURES OF SKILL and SHITTY HITTING that luckily turn out OK at times.

I prefer stats that show pure skill, with good or bad luck entirely stripped away.  Because over time, guys who have the right skills will succeed.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:43 pm

LMAO!!!

I tell Stanley right away to stop using his 85mph swing and start using his 100 mph swing right a way

Thank Buddhah for modern stats.  It never occurred to me to hit the ball hard

PS, hey Rosebowl, home runs are better than duck snorts.  Unless it's a groundball home run.  That's just dumb luck
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:LMAO!!!

I tell Stanley right away to stop using his 85mph swing and start using his 100 mph swing right a way

PS, hey Rosebowl, home runs are better than duck snorts.  Unless it's a groundball home run.  That's just dumb luck

Yeah well, 85 mph groundballs can be just fine in youth ball where fielding is sketchy to say the least.  In fact I think that's the reason some High school coaches still bunt a lot.  The chances of a bunt being cleanly handled and a good throw being made can be 50-50 at that level.  Doesn"t quite work that way in majors.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Have you seen the White Sox field over the past few years?
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm

I knew the NEW AGE STATS were bullshit and had NOTHING to do with real baseball when Fraser and Todd would talk up Barry Bonds and A-GOD on the old board and dis JETER!!

This modern Major League is an absolute load of shit.  Now we have PHYSICS in the STATHEAD realm.

FUCK THIS.  Farmer and D.J. were saying the other night how DULL the game is.  They said the contact hitter will return.  What real value is an Adam Dunn type?  35 Homers, 200 STRIKEOUTS, Bats .220 and walks 40 times?  FUCK THIS BULLSHIT.  Get some skill back in the game.

FUCK 10 pitchers per game and middle infielders swinging for the fences.

This has become so dull, STATHEADS get aroused by absolute idiocy.

Last edited by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm

I knew the NEW AGE STATS were bullshit and had NOTHING to do with real baseball when Fraer and Todd would talk up Barry Bonds and A-GOD on the old board and dis JETER!!

This modern Major League is an absolute load of shit.  Now we have PHYSICS in the STATHEAD realm.

FUCK THIS.  Farmer and D.J. were saying the other night how DULL the game is.  They said the contact hitter will return.  What real value is an Adam Dunn type?  35 Homers, 200 STRIKEOUTS, Bats .220 and walks 40 times?  FUCK THIS BULLSHIT.  Get some skill back in the game.

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:LMAO!!!

Yeah well, 85 mph groundballs can be just fine in youth ball where fielding is sketchy to say the least.  In fact I think that's the reason some High school coaches still bunt a lot.  The chances of a bunt being cleanly handled and a good throw being made can be 50-50 at that level.  Doesn"t quite work that way in majors.

APPARENTLY YOU ARE JUST TOO STUPID TO PICK UP ON SARCASM
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:I knew the NEW AGE STATS were bullshit and had NOTHING to do with real baseball when Fraer and Todd would talk up Barry Bonds and A-GOD on the old board and dis JETER!!

NOT ONLY THAT, MANY OF THESE STATHEADS ARE PLAIN HACKS.  THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MEASURING.  REMEMBER 1.8.  10 YEARS LATER AND THE TERM PAPER WRITER STILL HASN'T FIGURE OUT MULTICOLINEARITY.  THE DUMB ASS JUST BELIEVES WHATEVER SPOOGE THESE MATHEMATICAL MASTERBATORS SPEW OUT THEIR DICKS.

AND I LOVE HOW THIS TERM PAPER WRITING GENIUS CLAIMS OLD SCHOOL STATS REAALY MEASURED LUCK.  THE TRUTH IS, YOUR TYPICAL BASEBALL SEASON DOES NOT GENERATE ENOUGH OCCURANCES TO SMOOTH OUT ALL THE RANDOM FLUCTUATIONS.  SO THE NEW AGE STATS ARE MEASURING LUCK AS WELL!!!!!!  THAT IS, WHEN THEY AREN'T MEASURING THEMSELVES LIKE THAT 1.8 BULLSHIT.

BUT WHAT REALLY MAKES THE GAME BORING AS HELL IS THE TIME.  2 -230 HOURS IS ENOUGH FOR THE GAME.  3 HOURS IS TOO LONG.  NO IT SEEMS LIKE GAMES ARE 330 - 4 HOURS LONG.  EVERY GAME PLAYED LIKE GAME 7.  THE KARK BLAMES THE DEMISE OF THE STARTING PITCHER AND THE LARUSSAFICATION OF THE BULLPEN.  8 MAN FREAKING PENS!!!!!  SURPRISED NOBODY HAS TRIED THE OLD CHUCK TANNER PLAN OF 3 PITCHERS PITCHING 3 INNINGS A PIECE AND THEY PITCH EVERY 3RD GAME
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:50 pm

This has become so dull, STATHEADS get aroused by absolute idiocy.>>>

Stop and think for a moment about this rant.  In every sport, players have gotten bigger, stronger, faster over the last 20-30 years.  Point guards are 6'8", quarterbacks are 6'5" and yet here are some old radio hacks yearning for the days of 5'8"  LFers who could bloop singles over the heads of the infield and calling that "real baseball."  
    Fans have dug the long ball ever since the days of Babe Ruth.  It isn't just the last 10 years - Look who's garnered the most publicity over the years- Ruth, Maris/Mantle, Aaron, McGwire, Bonds.  Now it's Stanton and Judge.  Broadcasters who were never HR hitters (classic example: Harold Reynolds) somehow think the game should reflect their talents (or lack thereof).  Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, and Jim Rivera ain't coming back.  Anymore than Fran Tarkerton or Bob Cousy or Marcel Dionne types will.
     Just read an article today which said that ACTUAL players are reading and tracking their Statcast data to help their performance.   They realize that stuff like mph off the bat, launch angles, speed and angles to catch FB's matter.  This younger generation is attuned to technology.   They could give two shits how Luke Appling played the games.   Baseball is not going to follow the path wished for by old school guys anymore than any other sport is. 
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:I knew the NEW AGE STATS were bullshit and had NOTHING to do with real baseball when Fraer and Todd would talk up Barry Bonds and A-GOD on the old board and dis JETER!!

NOT ONLY THAT, MANY OF THESE STATHEADS ARE PLAIN HACKS.  THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MEASURING.  REMEMBER 1.8.  10 YEARS LATER AND THE TERM PAPER WRITER STILL HASN'T FIGURE OUT MULTICOLINEARITY.  THE DUMB ASS JUST BELIEVES WHATEVER SPOOGE THESE MATHEMATICAL MASTERBATORS SPEW OUT THEIR DICKS.

AND I LOVE HOW THIS TERM PAPER WRITING GENIUS CLAIMS OLD SCHOOL STATS REAALY MEASURED LUCK. .  SO THE NEW AGE STATS ARE MEASURING LUCK AS WELL!!!!!!  THAT IS, WHEN THEY AREN'T MEASURING THEMSELVES LIKE THAT 1.8 BULLSHIT.

Enough of your repeated lies about the 1.8 stuff. Multicolinearity was considered by the researchers.  Some even commented on it.  Several had Masters in Statistics, so to say they ignored the concept is like saying an airline pilot forgets how to take off.
    The 1.8 stuff still works, but isn't quite as good as the newer wOBA.  That was 10 years ago, and new advancements mean this stuff is passe.  Statcast data which explains WHY things happen is now where the attention is.  As well it should be.  

THE TRUTH IS, YOUR TYPICAL BASEBALL SEASON DOES NOT GENERATE ENOUGH OCCURANCES TO SMOOTH OUT ALL THE RANDOM FLUCTUATIONS>>
    Hope you remember statement if you ever choose to claim that Avi Garcia will always hit as well on his Balls in Play as he did in 2017. 
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

AND I LOVE HOW THIS TERM PAPER WRITING GENIUS CLAIMS OLD SCHOOL STATS REAALY MEASURED LUCK. .  SO THE NEW AGE STATS ARE MEASURING LUCK AS WELL!!!!!!  THAT IS, WHEN THEY AREN'T MEASURING THEMSELVES LIKE THAT 1.8 BULLSHIT.

Enough of your repeated lies about the 1.8 stuff. Multicolinearity was considered by the researchers. 

PURE BULLSHIT AND IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION FROM THE LINKS YOU POSTED IN THE PAST

Some even commented on it.

AND THE LINKS YOU POSTED SHOW THE A GUY ADMITTING TO BEING CLUELESS SO HE JUST IGNORED IT

Several had Masters in Statistics, so to say they ignored the concept is like saying an airline pilot forgets how to take off.

MORE OF YOUR BULLSHIT.  6 MONTHS AGO YOU CLAIMED THEY WERE ALL PHD's  NOW YOU ARE JUST MAKING CRAP UP

The 1.8 stuff still works, but isn't quite as good as the newer wOBA. 

AND THIS PROVES YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW UNDERSTAND THE THINGS YOU CLAIM ARE SO GREAT.  THE GUYS THAT KNOW MATH DON'T USE 1.8.  LOOK AT THE FORMULAS.  NOBODY SERIOUS ANALYST USES SLG AND OBP.  THEY USE THE INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS OF WALKS, SINGLES, DOUBELS, HOMERS, ETC ETC.

That was 10 years ago, and new advancements mean this stuff is passe.

NO IT MEANS YOUR AN IDIOT THAT CAN'T ADMIT HE'S WRONG WHEN IT IS SO BLATANTLY OBVIOUS

Statcast data which explains WHY things happen is now where the attention is.  As well it should be.  

THE TRUTH IS, YOUR TYPICAL BASEBALL SEASON DOES NOT GENERATE ENOUGH OCCURANCES TO SMOOTH OUT ALL THE RANDOM FLUCTUATIONS>>
    Hope you remember statement if you ever choose to claim that Avi Garcia will always hit as well on his Balls in Play as he did in 2017. 

I HAVE NO PROBLEM ADMITTING WHEN I AM WRONG.  YOU TELL THE SAME LIES FOR A DECADE
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:59 pm

rmapasad wrote:FUCK THIS.  Farmer and D.J. were saying the other night how DULL the game is.  They said the contact hitter will return.  What real value is an Adam Dunn type?  35 Homers, 200 STRIKEOUTS, Bats .220 and walks 40 times?  FUCK THIS BULLSHIT.  Get some skill back in the game.
    This has become so dull, STATHEADS get aroused by absolute idiocy.>>>

Stop and think for a moment about this rant.  In every sport, players have gotten bigger, stronger, faster over the last 20-30 years.  Point guards are 6'8", quarterbacks are 6'5" and yet here are some old radio hacks yearning for the days of 5'8"  LFers who could bloop singles over the heads of the infield and calling that "real baseball."  
    Fans have dug the long ball ever since the days of Babe Ruth.  It isn't just the last 10 years - Look who's garnered the most publicity over the years- Ruth, Maris/Mantle, Aaron, McGwire, Bonds.  Now it's Stanton and Judge.  Broadcasters who were never HR hitters (classic example: Harold Reynolds) somehow think the game should reflect their talents (or lack thereof).  Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, and Jim Rivera ain't coming back.  Anymore than Fran Tarkerton or Bob Cousy or Marcel Dionne types will.
     Just read an article today which said that ACTUAL players are reading and tracking their Statcast data to help their performance.   They realize that stuff like mph off the bat, launch angles, speed and angles to catch FB's matter.  This younger generation is attuned to technology.   They could give two shits how Luke Appling played the games.   Baseball is not going to follow the path wished for by old school guys anymore than any other sport is. 

IF THESE CLOWNS ARE SO GOOD ARE TECH AND MATH, YOU'D THINK SOMEOBDY WOULD FIGURE OUT A MORE EFFICEINT WAY TO STRUCTURE A PITCHING STAFF

CRAIG WRIGHT POINT OUT ALMOST 30 YEARS AGO THAT A 4MAN IS PLAUSIBLE WITH PITCH LIMITS

TODAY, WE HAVE THE PITCH LIMITS, BUT 6 MAN ROTATIONS AND 8 MAN PENS AND TEAMS WITH ZERO BENCH

THAT ALL SAID, I BELIEVE THE OLD SCHOOLERS UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF HITTING THE BALL HARD AND PROPER POSITIONING.  YOU DON'T NEED THE DAMN INTERNET  FOR THAT. 

PLUS SOME OF THESE FORMULAS ARE NOTHING MORE THAN MATHEMATICAL MASTERBATION.

DOESN'T TAKE A CPA WITH A 135 IQ TO FIGURE OUT THE PURPOSE OF HITTING IS GETTING A HIT
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    PURE BULLSHIT AND IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION FROM THE LINKS YOU POSTED IN THE PAST
     Some even commented on it.
    AND THE LINKS YOU POSTED SHOW THE A GUY ADMITTING TO BEING CLUELESS SO HE JUST IGNORED IT
      Several had Masters in Statistics, so to say they ignored the concept is like saying an airline pilot forgets how to take off.
    MORE OF YOUR BULLSHIT.  6 MONTHS AGO YOU CLAIMED THEY WERE ALL PHD's  NOW YOU ARE JUST MAKING CRAP UP >>

You have this habit of paraphrasing other posters rather than actually quoting what was said.  That way you can create straw men of your making.   The researcher answered the guy who posted about interrelated variables and the researcher said that issue was considered but found not to be a problem.   I made no such statement that they were "all Phds". One might have been and IIRC a couple had Masters .

<<AND THIS PROVES YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW UNDERSTAND THE THINGS YOU CLAIM ARE SO GREAT.  THE GUYS THAT KNOW MATH DON'T USE 1.8.  LOOK AT THE FORMULAS.  NOBODY SERIOUS ANALYST USES SLG AND OBP.  THEY USE THE INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS OF WALKS, SINGLES, DOUBELS, HOMERS, ETC ETC.>>

No sher, shitlock. Of course wOBA is another variant of the age-old Linear Weights.  But the 1.8 formula can be applied to different components (ie., add a single, add a HR, add a BB to a fixed BA/OBP/Slug #). This guy explains it in detail, noting the weighted value of each event including an out. 
    http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/comments/why_does_17obpslg_make_sense/

Argue with Tango. He's only written books on baseball, and is the inventor of FIP and w/OBA which are the standard stats used on ESPN, Baseball Reference and Fan Graphs.  But you obviously know more than him. ...LMAO....  Tell him what a fraud he is for not realizing multicolinearity..  ROFLMAO...
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 am

Argue with Tango. He's only written books on baseball, and is the inventor of FIP and w/OBA which are the standard stats used on ESPN, Baseball Reference and Fan Graphs.  But you obviously know more than him. ...LMAO....  Tell him what a fraud he is for not realizing multicolinearity..  ROFLMAO...
    ANT ASSHOLE.  iTS NOT tANGO ON THIS BOARD TALIKING ABOUT LUCKY GROUNDBALL HITS AND 

go fuck yourself you ignorant arrogant asshole.  Its not Tango coming on this board talkiing about lucky groundball hits and 1.8.  Its your lying ass.  I'm not disagreeing with Tango.  I am disagreeing with YOUR fucked up interepetation of sabermetircs.  Maybe your stupid ass should try understanding the subject instead of insulting the intelligence of this board.  and yes youi do insult it.  Everytime you prove you to be the moron you truly are.  You come back with this buillshit about how your imaginary experts are so much smarter than the rest of us and how we should blindly accept them.  well you stupid fuck, its blantantly obvious that OBP IS NOT 80% more important than SLG.  walks aren't 80 better than extra base hits, which is what 1.8 means.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 am

And that link of yours just proves what a hack Tango is.

Pete Palmer in the 70's ran regression analysis in the 70's and came to the conclusion that OBP and SLG are more or less the same.  Bill James reached a similiar conclusion with his classic runs created formula which can be expressed as AB times OBP times SLG

This 1.7 stuff is a product of bad math and not digging into the data.  Both OBP and SLG inculde singles.  So the 1.7 is really comparing walks to extra base hits.  It defies common sense to think that a walk can be more valuable than an extra base hit.  So what does 1.8 really represent?

Here is the league totals for the past three seasons

YEAR  TB - H  BB  % 
    2016      26,830       15,088        1.78
    2015      24,847       14,073        1.77
    2014      22,393       14,020        1.60

74,070       43,181        1.72

It is painfully obvious from the data that what is really happening is that in any given year, there is about 70% more extra bases on hits than there are walks.  But to draw a conclusion that this somehow means that OBP is somehow 70% more important than SLG is flawed logic

TRY LYING YOUR WAY OUT OF THIS ONE ROGER!!!!!

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL YOUR HERO IF YOU HAVE TO!!!!

CHECK AND MATE ASSHOLE

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 am