Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

OUTLAW CHICAGO HOCKEY

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

OUTLAW CHICAGO HOCKEY

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 pm

THE CHICAGO NHL TEAM IS NAMED AFTER A SUBVERSIVE FROM THE 1830'S THAT WAGED WAR WITH AMERICA AND LOST!!!!!

MAKE THEM ABDICATE ALL THEIR STANLEY CUPS IN THE NAME OF CULTURAL SENSITIVITY
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: OUTLAW CHICAGO HOCKEY

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Did they really wage war with America?  I always thought we just kinda came along and eradicated them and took the land they were using.  

Aren't statues meant to honor folks?  is there a reason to honor civil war generals that fought against the US?  Do we hold those generals in the same esteem as Native Americans that fought against the US?
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Did they really wage war with America?  I always thought we just kinda came along and eradicated them and took the land they were using.  

Aren't statues meant to honor folks?  is there a reason to honor civil war generals that fought against the US?  Do we hold those generals in the same esteem as Native Americans that fought against the US?

THEY ARE CALLED THE BLACKHAWK WARS!!!!!!!

AND I'M SURE PEOPLE BUILD ROBERT E LEE STATUES FOR THE SAME REASON PEOPLE BUY CHE GUEVARA T SHIRTS

AND WTF DO YOU CARE IF SOME HICK TOWN IN THE SOUTH WANTS A ROBERT E LEE STATUE IN THE TOWN SQUARE

QUIT TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO THINK AND BELIEVE

AND YES, CHIEF BLACKHAWK WAS AN ENEMY TO THE UNITED STATES SO WHY SHOULD HE BE HELD TO A DIFFERENT STANDARD THAN ANY OTHER ENEMY
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

AND WTF DO YOU CARE IF SOME HICK TOWN IN THE SOUTH WANTS A ROBERT E LEE STATUE IN THE TOWN SQUARE

AND YES, CHIEF BLACKHAWK WAS AN ENEMY TO THE UNITED STATES SO WHY SHOULD HE BE HELD TO A DIFFERENT STANDARD THAN ANY OTHER ENEMY

Are you under some impression that this is an issue in my life?  That I'm concerned and/or losing sleep about some Lee statue?  i'm not.  if it matters to them southern folks, they'll raise up a shitstorm about it.  

I'd suggest that the American Indians were a separate nation from us from the get-go.  We warred against them and took their shit. Basically, we conquered them. The south separated from us and fought against their own prior nation.  In some corners that's called treason.  The native Indians committed no treason against the US.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

Are you under some impression that this is an issue in my life?  That I'm concerned and/or losing sleep about some Lee statue?  i'm not.  if it matters to them southern folks, they'll raise up a shitstorm about it.  

I'd suggest that the American Indians were a separate nation from us from the get-go.  We warred against them and took their shit. Basically, we conquered them. The south separated from us and fought against their own prior nation.  In some corners that's called treason.  The native Indians committed no treason against the US.

Wonder about the absence of Hitler statues in Germany.  Gee, he was part of their history. Maybe it's because statues send a message ?
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:01 pm

USING YOUR LOGIC, GEORGE WASHINGTON COMMITTED TREASON AGAINST THE BRITISH EMPIRE

WHAT'S WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WASHINGTON, WHO OWNED SLAVES, AND ROBERT E LEE OTHER THAN WASHINGTON WON HIS WAR.

YOU THINK HEROIN SHOULD BE LEGAL, BUT ROBERT E LEE SHOULDN'T.  HAS THE DUKES OF HAZZARD BEEN BANNED IN THE Z HOUSEHOLD?!?!?!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:USING YOUR LOGIC, GEORGE WASHINGTON COMMITTED TREASON AGAINST THE BRITISH EMPIRE

Whether he did or did not, do the Brits have Washington statues in their public squares?  I'm guessing not.  

WHAT'S WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WASHINGTON, WHO OWNED SLAVES, AND ROBERT E LEE OTHER THAN WASHINGTON WON HIS WAR.

Well, for one, GW led our war against the Brits and brought us back from getting our asses kicked to winning the Revolutionary War.  Was also our first president, and considered by many or most to be a very good one at that.  His slave ownership was within the ordinary context of those times.  He didn't fight for slavery.  He didn't lead a war against the US in order to keep slavery intact.  he just owned them in a time when it was customary to own them.  Are their stories of him brutalizing, torturing, raping them?  if so, then maybe there needs to be a reconsideration.  In Jefferson's case, there's are claims that he raped his slaves, or at least one, while others say they had something more akin to a consensual relationship.  Of course, if you owned a slave and wanted to have sex with her back then, it was considered by law to be consensual whether the lady wanted it or not.  

What I'll add here is that we need to consider context and culture.  Lincoln spoke against black folks and cited them as less than equals on an occasion or two.  That was the common belief of his day.  He didn't use his power to terrorize them, harm them, or prolong slavery.  Similarly, there was no such thing as the consideration of marriage equality in 1960, so if someone had laughed at the notion, I'd not hold it against him, or call him a bigot or discriminatory.  I haven't taken down photos of my grandparents for tossing the N-word around when it was commonplace (and when they meant no specific harm in using it).  

It boils down to this...Lee fought AGAINST the U.S. in a war that was largely about slavery.  He fought as a pro-slavery general.  That's pretty much all I need to know.  It has no bearing on me or my ancestors, but there is a large contingent of Americans that are still anguished about where blacks fit into society now.  Slavery is arguably as big a black mark on our history as the Third Reich is on Germany's.  Statues that commemorate those times make about as much sense as erecting a statue at Comiskey of Jaime Navarro.

YOU THINK HEROIN SHOULD BE LEGAL, BUT ROBERT E LEE SHOULDN'T.  HAS THE DUKES OF HAZZARD BEEN BANNED IN THE Z HOUSEHOLD?!?!?!

Have I said RELee shouldn't be legal?  Leave it up to the local communities.  
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:USING YOUR LOGIC, GEORGE WASHINGTON COMMITTED TREASON AGAINST THE BRITISH EMPIRE

George Washington DID commit treason against England. If the British had captured him, both Adamses, Hancock, Revere, etc., they would have hung them.

And no straight man bans the Dukes Of Hazzard, not with Catherine Bach running around in those shorts.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:30 pm

I want to go to the Noah's Ark theme park in Kentucky!!!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 am

You would think England would have some mercy on Adams for his legal defense of the Boston Massacre shooters. For some reason, I was under the impression that Adams was mostly against breaking away from England...
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 am

You would think England would have some mercy on Adams for his legal defense of the Boston Massacre shooters. For some reason, I was under the impression that Adams was mostly against breaking away from England...
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:16 pm

If Southerners truly want to learn their HERITAGE, maybe they ought to try BOOKS!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:If Southerners truly want to learn their HERITAGE, maybe they ought to try BOOKS!!!

Statues are to honor people society wants to honor. Saying all of a country's past military leaders should be displayed for educational "heritage" purposes is pure bullshit.

Japan doesn't have statues of Admiral Tojo and Germany doesn't have monuments to Herman Goering.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:If Southerners truly want to learn their HERITAGE, maybe they ought to try BOOKS!!!

But why? Doesn't Breitbart do a good enough job?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:You would think England would have some mercy on Adams for his legal defense of the Boston Massacre shooters.  For some reason, I was under the impression that Adams was mostly against breaking away from England...

Nah, they still didn't like him. He was in the Continental Congress and helped frame the Declaration of Independence. Read John Adams by David McCullough. Fantastic biography.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Maybe they should start with the Bible...you know. The book they profess to be following, that probably sits unopened on their mantle for everyone to see, and no one to read.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:21 am

People have to learn history by reading "Total White Sox" authored by Richard Lindberg.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:People have to learn history by reading "Total White Sox" authored by Richard Lindberg.

Is that the novel where the Sox move to New Haven at the end?
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 am

alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:You would think England would have some mercy on Adams for his legal defense of the Boston Massacre shooters.  For some reason, I was under the impression that Adams was mostly against breaking away from England...

Nah, they still didn't like him. He was in the Continental Congress and helped frame the Declaration of Independence. Read John Adams by David McCullough. Fantastic biography.
    Fantastic biography and fantastic history lesson of the formation of the US.  Adams was very much for independence.  Had England suppressed the revolt, Adams was going to be the first one Admiral Howe sought to hang.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:50 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

Have I said RELee shouldn't be legal?  Leave it up to the local communities.  
    That's very bigly of you.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:17 am

rmapasad wrote:

Statues are to honor people society wants to honor. Saying all of a country's past military leaders should be displayed for educational "heritage" purposes is pure bullshit.

Japan doesn't have statues of Admiral Tojo and Germany doesn't have monuments to Herman Goering.

Apparently the society in the South wants to honor these men

But I just how you and others have no problem when a city openly violates federal law by declaring itself a sanctuary for illegals, but small hick town has a Confederate soldier, then it's time to bus in the Bulshiveks to cause violence and destroy property

Maybe you should try thinking instead of policing the thoughts of others
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

But I just how you and others have no problem when a city openly violates federal law by declaring itself a sanctuary for illegals, but small hick town has a Confederate soldier, then it's time to bus in the Bulshiveks to cause violence and destroy property

I can't speak for Kevin, but I don't get the impression he's trying to police anyone's thoughts, nor am I.  Leave the statues up if the locals want them.  Personally, I just can't really understand anyone's defense of them, or why they want for them to remain, but you won't hear me shouting or declaring that they must be removed.  And i have yet to hear Kevin demand their removal.  Sunlight is a great antiseptic, and if we leave them there, then the entire nation can see what is important to those southern folks.  Fuckin A, bring back the confederate battle flag as the state flag in all of those place for all I care.  
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:31 pm

alohafri wrote:

George Washington DID commit treason against England. If the British had captured him, both Adamses, Hancock, Revere, etc., they would have hung them.

And no straight man bans the Dukes Of Hazzard, not with Catherine Bach running around in those shorts.

Never been to the U.K.

Can somebody confirm or deny whether or the Brits consider Washington a treacherous slave owning hypocrit who stole the most valuable part of the empire?
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

I can't speak for Kevin, but I don't get the impression he's trying to police anyone's thoughts, nor am I.  Leave the statues up if the locals want them.  Personally, I just can't really understand anyone's defense of them, or why they want for them to remain, but you won't hear me shouting or declaring that they must be removed.  And i have yet to hear Kevin demand their removal.  Sunlight is a great antiseptic, and if we leave them there, then the entire nation can see what is important to those southern folks.  Fuckin A, bring back the confederate battle flag as the state flag in all of those place for all I care.  

My comments were directed at Roger

It nice to see you agree that it's a local decision, maybe hope for you yet

PS, the KARK agrees with Barkley, never gave a rats ass about them b4, why start now.  However, what pisses me off is elitists telling the masses what to think.  Ditto outside agitators coming in to cause trouble and screwing times up for the people who actually live their.  Makes me wonder what the local really wanted
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

My comments were directed at Roger

It nice to see you agree that it's a local decision, maybe hope for you yet

PS, the KARK agrees with Barkley, never gave a rats ass about them b4, why start now.  However, what pisses me off is elitists telling the masses what to think.  Ditto outside agitators coming in to cause trouble and screwing times up for the people who actually live their.  Makes me wonder what the local really wanted

Although Lee himself didn't want statues or Confederate flags displayed after the War, when the North pulled out of Reconstruction embittered Southerners started to resurrect their flag and build statues, etc.     
    Those Southerners who profess to care about heritage may need to think what they are defending. The Southern states were traitors and wanted to protect the institution of slavery. That's why all things Confederate are so attractive to bigots and KKK - they represent white superiority and black inferiority.

So yeah, it's a dilemma for cities.  To prevent Black Lives Matter protests they seek to tear down the statues but when they do then they get the KKK and Nazis marching in torch parades.  I think the smart play is to rip them all down.  Tell the KKK and Neo-Nazis to go fuck themselves because they've made these statues their symbol and society needs to repudiate what they stand for.  It's been 150 years since the Civil War - time for the South to get over it already.  They lost and they should have lost.  And so should the KKK and American Nazi party today. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 pm