Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Q a queer, I mean cub

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Q a queer, I mean cub

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:18 am

Rick Hahn just fleeced the Cubs.

so much for all the BS new age stats that some here claimed made Quintana worth nothing but a bag of balls.

White Sox get the Cubs #1 hitting prospect and #1 pitching prospect and two fringe prospects

1) Eloy Jimenez, #8 prospect in all of baseball.  #3 among OF prospects.  Big righthanded power prospect, projects to be better than Yolmer Sanchez, which might be difficult for some here to believe.

2) Dylan Cease, #63 in all of baseball.  considered to have the best fastball/curveball combo when drafted in 2014.  another righthander.

3) Matt Rose, unranked corner infielder.  righthanded.  turns 23 on 8/2.  Currently in high A, is a low average power hitter.  looks like a non prospect at this point

4) Bryant Flete, 24 year old middle infielder.  bats left.  5'10" and weighs all of 146 pounds and has the power all the power one would expect from someone that skinny.  defense is unknown, meaning I didn't look it up.  doesn't steal bases.  He's hitting 300 in high A, but can't be considered a prospect.

I would have loved for the top 2 to be lefthanded.  Would have loved a top 30 prospect instead of Rose and Flete.  But that is just nitpicking.

GREAT TRADE BY THE WHITE SOX!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: Q a queer, I mean cub

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Great trade by the Sox.  I'm glad to be wrong in underestimating Quintana's trade.  Of course, my under-estimation wasn't to the degree of your usual over-the-top exaggerations.  He has been a lot better these last 6 weeks (2.70 ERA) so I thought he might command a good hitting prospect.  But no, didn't expect someone as good as Jiminez after Q's rocky April/then late May.  Nor that he could pull another good prospect in Cease to boot.   This is nearly the kind of haul that Sale brought.

Cubs' desperation in wanting to catch Milwaukee meant they had to try to pull a rabbit out of the hat  somehow and Quintana turns out to be the best veteran pitcher available right now.  So essentially Quintana has pulled today the equivalent of what he could or should have pulled before the season.

Think Hahn finally realized this was a golden opportunity he couldn't pass up.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:54 pm

More like Hahn got somebody to meet his demands which he always knew he could do.

So spare us your under the bottom down talking of the White Sox.  Nobody pisses on more parades than you do
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:28 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:More like Hahn got somebody to meet his demands which he always knew he could do.
    So spare us your under the bottom down talking of the White Sox.  Nobody pisses on more parades than you do

Again, I think this a VERY GOOD deal for the Sox. 

But I also believe that Hahn's sense of urgency about doing a trade increased based on Q's rocky April and late May.   Fortunately, Q came through with a strong June/early July and the Cubs' starting pitching woes became very severe.  So the timing was perfect.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am

Avi's value will never be higher.

Just sayin'!!!!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:36 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:More like Hahn got somebody to meet his demands which he always knew he could do.

Again, I think this a VERY GOOD deal for the Sox. 

But I also believe that Hahn's sense of urgency about doing a trade increased based on Q's rocky April and late May.   Fortunately, Q came through with a strong June/early July and the Cubs' starting pitching woes became very severe.  So the timing was perfect.

LOL

sense of urgency

are you in the front office?!?!?!?

More like he patiently waited until somebody meet his demands.  Or do you think Q should have bought 2 top 10 MLB prospects.  which would be hillarious since a month ago you claimed Hahn completely missed the boat and would be lucky to get any kind of prospect.

But go ahead and keep putting your condescending spin on everything.  I for one find it quite amusing
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 am

Hahn was waiting for someone to overpay...and he found Theo!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Avi's value will never be higher.

Just sayin'!!!!

THE KARK read that the Cards might be interested.

Doubt the Cards give up Carson Kelly.  And I don't see any lefthanded thumpers in their top 30 prospects.  I don't think the White Sox need any more pitching.  So I'm not sure there is a match.  But than, I don't know the Cards all that well

THE KARK read the Yankees are looking for a 1B upgrade.  Not sure how Garcia would fit into the lineup, but if Hahn can raid the Yankee farm system for hitters, I could live with the trade.  Even if Garcia is for real, would he sign one of those team friendly contracts this winter?  Or does he assume he remains an All Star in 18&19 then cashs out for max dollar in 2020?

BTW, Garcia's trade value can get higher.  sure, it can also get lower.  But I would not automatically assume Garcia has peaked
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:59 am

alohafri wrote:

Thank you for rephrasing what the KARK said!!!!!

But wouldn't quoting Roger be more appropriate to quote Roger since he is the one pushing the sense of urgency theory?

But the big question is should I root for the Q to become the lefthanded Greg Maddux and proof how silly roger and his stats are

Or do I hate the Q because he is a Cub?
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 pm

alohafri wrote:

Given Q's hot/cold 2017 so far , this does look like an overpay. 
    But Hahn needed this trade too.  
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:01 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

The trade is quite similar to the Sale deal.  Get the other teams best hitter and best pitcher who also happen to be one of the best in all of baseball.  throw in 2 other prospects, and you have a 4 for 1.  However, I should point out that all 4 of the Sale trade are in the white sox top 30.  Rose and Flete will probably never rate.  Hahn should have taken 1 top 30 guy instead of two unrated.  But hey, maybe Kenny likes their tools.

As for needing this trade, what on earth is that suppose to mean?  I'll bet a 12er of Modelo Negro that all the other offers were somewhat similiar.  So no, Hahn did not need THIS trade.  Hahn had his king's ransom, it was just a question of what kingdom to take it from.  Hahn just happened to like the jewels in the Cubs trade the best.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 pm

YAWN!!!!!!
    Got rid of a pitcher I was never a fan of and received yet more "prospects". Good news for a lot of towns with Sox minor league teams. Up here, well I guess we could set up pools on how many earned runs Shields will give up per game. 
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Losing now with a great young farm system beats the Hell out of WIN NOW-RELOAD that did NEITHER.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm

TeleFrank wrote:YAWN!!!!!!
    Got rid of a pitcher I was never a fan of and received yet more "prospects". Good news for a lot of towns with Sox minor league teams. Up here, well I guess we could set up pools on how many earned runs Shields will give up per game. 

Prospects are all Sox fans have to celebrate right now. Some will turn out - others won't.  Looked at Baseball America's preseason top 100 list.  The 1-2-3-4 are Moncada, Benintendi, Swanson and Meadows.  Moncada and Benintendi are doing fine (not fantastic) but Swanson and Meadows have fallen on their asses. Meanwhile, # 7 Cody Bellinger is tearing things apart and unranked guys like Gamel, Mancini, Rivera are outdoing Benintendi.   Then there's this guy way down the list at # 90 -goes by name Aaron Judge. Name ring a bell ?

You never know till they get to the bigs.   
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    Hahn was waiting for someone to overpay...and he found Theo! wrote:

The trade is quite similar to the Sale deal.  Get the other teams best hitter and best pitcher who also happen to be one of the best in all of baseball.  throw in 2 other prospects, and you have a 4 for 1.  However, I should point out that all 4 of the Sale trade are in the white sox top 30.  Rose and Flete will probably never rate.  Hahn should have taken 1 top 30 guy instead of two unrated.  But hey, maybe Kenny likes their tools.

As for needing this trade, what on earth is that suppose to mean?  I'll bet a 12er of Modelo Negro that all the other offers were somewhat similiar.  So no, Hahn did not need THIS trade.  Hahn had his king's ransom, it was just a question of what kingdom to take it from.  Hahn just happened to like the jewels in the Cubs trade the best.

Not sure about any feeding frenzy for Quintana as you're suggesting.  Top hitting prospects on contenders are:  Devers-Red Sox, Brinson-Brewers, Tucker-Astros, Robles-Nats,
    Gordon-Twins, Zimmer and Mejia-Indians, Verdugo and Calhoun-Dodgers and Jiminez-Cubs
    Eliminate Dodgers and Red Sox as their rotations are already LHed heavy. Knock out Twins as Gordon is SS, and Sox have Anderson.  Indians aren't  likely to do a blockbuster deal with a division rival.
    Leaves Brinson, Robles, Tucker and Jiminez.  Astros supposedly offered Tucker + in Jan, but now they have a 15 game lead and their LHed ace, Kuechel, is lights out this year after a tepid 2016.  They don't NEED Q to make the playoffs and probably only interested if Q could be a playoff stud.  They may not have felt that with Q being a mid-4.00's guy this year.
    Ditto the Nationals.  Big lead, two playoff studs in Scherzer/Strasberg plus their LHer Gonzalez is having a better year than Quintana. 

Logical that both Brewers and Cubs would want Q. Difference may be Brinson is in AAA and Brewers were reluctant to part with him (or add anyone real good to the deal with him) because they saw Brinson as a callup soon.   Where with Jiminez only in A ball, he was more expendable.   Cubs also NEEDED Quintana to fill an opening in rotation that they thought they filled earlier in year with Brett Anderson, who got hurt again.  Plus given the shakiness of Hendricks and Lackey this year, Q could be a useful playoff pitcher if he's in 2014-2016 form.

Cubs needed this deal more than others and they had more expendable resources which is why they offered what they did. But not sure how many if any other good deals were out there.
    Which is why Hahn jumped on this one immediately before Q threw another inning for the Sox.

Clearly the Brewers and Cubs are locked in a duel for NL Central, and both needed a pitcher.

That pretty much left the Cubs and with a lot of good young hitters in majors and AAA, and Jiminez being in A ball and 2-3 years away, he was expendable.  2-3 years away is an eternity for a win-now club like Cubs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:29 pm