Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    We're #3

    Share
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1712
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    We're #3

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 pm

    Bleacher Report has OUR White Sox with the 3rd best farm in all of baseball.

    Everybody else in the AL Central is in the bottom half.  Cleveland ranks 2nd best at 17.

    Like the KARK said, just about all the pieces are in the system.  Just a question of how fast they are ready.  Only thing really missing is a big lefty bat.  THAT needs to be the target at the trading deadline.

    The kids can contend as early as next year.
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

    Posts : 998
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: We're #3

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:23 am

    WIN NOW-RELOAD!!!
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1712
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: We're #3

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:07 am

    Actually, my optimism for 2018 isn't some WIN NOW pipedream.  It's more of a hope that the KIDS CAN PLAY.


    In 2018, I think the pitching staff takes care of its self.  A lot of thos young arms in the minors should be ready for prime time.  I also think Quintana and Jones will still be around to due ones poor performance and the other injury preventing OUR White Sox from getting the appropriate value needed to move them.


    That leaves the lineup, which I see as 2/3 full.  The infield from left to right is Davidson, Anderson, Moncada, and Abreau.  Garcia is in RF.  I leave the DH spot empty so regulars can get 1/2 days off and the Yolmers and Leurys of the world can get PT.


    That leaves a C and 2/3 of an outfield.  OUR White Sox MUST find a veteran catcher that knows how to handle young pitchers.  Hopefully they can find some kid with a big lefty bat to play LF at the trading deadline.  CF can be prospects and projects.


    OK, maybe this is more of a 500 team that a division winner.  But IT DOES stay on the rebuilding track without the unnecessary 100 losses.  When you consider that this year's team has a 50/50 chance of finishing with less than 90 losses, you need to realize that 2018 has to at least push towards 500 otherwise its a setback.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2417
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: We're #3

    Post by rmapasad on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:Actually, my optimism for 2018 isn't some WIN NOW pipedream.  It's more of a hope that the KIDS CAN PLAY.
    In 2018, I think the pitching staff takes care of its self.  A lot of thos young arms in the minors should be ready for prime time.  I also think Quintana and Jones will still be around to due ones poor performance and the other injury preventing OUR White Sox from getting the appropriate value needed to move them.
    That leaves the lineup, which I see as 2/3 full.  The infield from left to right is Davidson, Anderson, Moncada, and Abreau.  Garcia is in RF.  I leave the DH spot empty so regulars can get 1/2 days off and the Yolmers and Leurys of the world can get PT.


    That leaves a C and 2/3 of an outfield.  OUR White Sox MUST find a veteran catcher that knows how to handle young pitchers.  Hopefully they can find some kid with a big lefty bat to play LF at the trading deadline.  CF can be prospects and projects.


    OK, maybe this is more of a 500 team that a division winner.  But IT DOES stay on the rebuilding track without the unnecessary 100 losses.  When you consider that this year's team has a 50/50 chance of finishing with less than 90 losses, you need to realize that 2018 has to at least push towards 500 otherwise its a setback.

    While Lopez, Gioloto, Kopech, Fulmer and even Danish all have the potential to be decent major league pitchers, they're all struggling with control right now.   As a result, they're not dominating in AAA/AA (ERA's from mid 3.00's to mid 4.00's).  Some of them may be elevated to majors next year or even late this year.  But that doesn't mean they'll do very well until they can mature and get better command.
    I'd say 2019-2020 is when they'll be polished enough to be strong pitchers in the majors.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1712
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: We're #3

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:15 am

    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Actually, my optimism for 2018 isn't some WIN NOW pipedream.  It's more of a hope that the KIDS CAN PLAY.
    In 2018, I think the pitching staff takes care of its self.  A lot of thos young arms in the minors should be ready for prime time.  I also think Quintana and Jones will still be around to due ones poor performance and the other injury preventing OUR White Sox from getting the appropriate value needed to move them.
    That leaves the lineup, which I see as 2/3 full.  The infield from left to right is Davidson, Anderson, Moncada, and Abreau.  Garcia is in RF.  I leave the DH spot empty so regulars can get 1/2 days off and the Yolmers and Leurys of the world can get PT.


    That leaves a C and 2/3 of an outfield.  OUR White Sox MUST find a veteran catcher that knows how to handle young pitchers.  Hopefully they can find some kid with a big lefty bat to play LF at the trading deadline.  CF can be prospects and projects.


    OK, maybe this is more of a 500 team that a division winner.  But IT DOES stay on the rebuilding track without the unnecessary 100 losses.  When you consider that this year's team has a 50/50 chance of finishing with less than 90 losses, you need to realize that 2018 has to at least push towards 500 otherwise its a setback.

    While Lopez, Gioloto, Kopech, Fulmer and even Danish all have the potential to be decent major league pitchers, they're all struggling with control right now.   As a result, they're not dominating in AAA/AA (ERA's from mid 3.00's to mid 4.00's).  Some of them may be elevated to majors next year or even late this year.  But that doesn't mean they'll do very well until they can mature and get better command.
    I'd say 2019-2020 is when they'll be polished enough to be strong pitchers in the majors.


    I'M SURE DOUG FISTER WILL BE A FREE AGENT AGAIN THIS WINTER TO FILL THE GAP


    lol!

    Seriously, maybe that is the why to go.  Not necessarily Fister, but round out the rotation with those type of gambles and pay them on the cheap ala Pelfrey.


    Or maybe get creative and go with the all lefty 4 man of Quintana, Rodon, Holland and Holmberg with an all righty long man of Lopez, Gioloto, Fulmer and Kopech.  In other words, set up lefty right tag teams where the starter goes twice thru the order, then gets pulled during the the 3rd time thru if there is trouble, or at the end if their isn't, then do the same with the righty kids.  I bet that routinely gets you into the 8th.  Then have 4 short relievers to close the game.  Kahnle, Jones, Putnam and Jennings as the token lefty
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2417
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: We're #3

    Post by rmapasad on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:12 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Actually, my optimism for 2018 isn't some WIN NOW pipedream.  It's more of a hope that the KIDS CAN PLAY.
    In 2018, I think the pitching staff takes care of its self.  A lot of thos young arms in the minors should be ready for prime time.  I also think Quintana and Jones will still be around to due ones poor performance and the other injury preventing OUR White Sox from getting the appropriate value needed to move them.
    That leaves the lineup, which I see as 2/3 full.  The infield from left to right is Davidson, Anderson, Moncada, and Abreau.  Garcia is in RF.  I leave the DH spot empty so regulars can get 1/2 days off and the Yolmers and Leurys of the world can get PT.


    That leaves a C and 2/3 of an outfield.  OUR White Sox MUST find a veteran catcher that knows how to handle young pitchers.  Hopefully they can find some kid with a big lefty bat to play LF at the trading deadline.  CF can be prospects and projects.


    OK, maybe this is more of a 500 team that a division winner.  But IT DOES stay on the rebuilding track without the unnecessary 100 losses.  When you consider that this year's team has a 50/50 chance of finishing with less than 90 losses, you need to realize that 2018 has to at least push towards 500 otherwise its a setback.

    While Lopez, Gioloto, Kopech, Fulmer and even Danish all have the potential to be decent major league pitchers, they're all struggling with control right now.   As a result, they're not dominating in AAA/AA (ERA's from mid 3.00's to mid 4.00's).  Some of them may be elevated to majors next year or even late this year.  But that doesn't mean they'll do very well until they can mature and get better command.
    I'd say 2019-2020 is when they'll be polished enough to be strong pitchers in the majors.


    I'M SURE DOUG FISTER WILL BE A FREE AGENT AGAIN THIS WINTER TO FILL THE GAP


    lol!

    Seriously, maybe that is the why to go.  Not necessarily Fister, but round out the rotation with those type of gambles and pay them on the cheap ala Pelfrey.


    Or maybe get creative and go with the all lefty 4 man of Quintana, Rodon, Holland and Holmberg with an all righty long man of Lopez, Gioloto, Fulmer and Kopech.  In other words, set up lefty right tag teams where the starter goes twice thru the order, then gets pulled during the the 3rd time thru if there is trouble, or at the end if their isn't, then do the same with the righty kids.  I bet that routinely gets you into the 8th.  Then have 4 short relievers to close the game.  Kahnle, Jones, Putnam and Jennings as the token lefty

    Clearly the Sox's pieces are starting to emerge but the younger, high ceiling types (Moncada,
    Kopech, Gioloto, etc. plus some guys in lower minors) aren't likely to have their full breakouts as major leaguers next year.
    Let's just hope that Kenny Williams doesn't grab the levers and do what he did a few years ago- cut short the 2014 rebuild after only one year to play "win-now" in 2015 with free agents like Cabrera and LaRoche.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1712
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: We're #3

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

    YOU CAN ALWAYS CUT THE LAROUCHES OF THE WORLD

    WHAT THE FRONT OFFICE REALLY NEEDS TO DO IS GET OVER THEIR PITCHING CENTRIC VIEW OF THE FARM.  LIKE THEY DID WITH THIS DRAFT.  I WOULD ALSO TRY TO GET ONE REAL REAL REAL GOOD YOUNG PLAYER AT THE TRADING DEADLINE THEN BEING A PROSPECT HOG.  IN OTHERS WORDS QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

    AS FOR WIN NOW, THE WHITE SOX NEED A VETERAN CATCHER THAT IS PROVEN TO BE GOOD WITH YOUNG PITCHERS.  OTHER THAN THAT, I DON'T KNOW IF I PURSUE ANY FREE AGENTS THIS WINTER.   BUT IF MY SCHWARBER/CANDELARIO FOR QUINTANA FANTASY COMES TRUE, THEN OUR WHITE SOX NEED TO BUY A STAFF ACE AND A LEGIT LEADOFF HITTER

    I love you
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2417
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: We're #3

    Post by rmapasad on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:49 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:YOU CAN ALWAYS CUT THE LAROUCHES OF THE WORLD

    WHAT THE FRONT OFFICE REALLY NEEDS TO DO IS GET OVER THEIR PITCHING CENTRIC VIEW OF THE FARM.  LIKE THEY DID WITH THIS DRAFT.  I WOULD ALSO TRY TO GET ONE REAL REAL REAL GOOD YOUNG PLAYER AT THE TRADING DEADLINE THEN BEING A PROSPECT HOG.  IN OTHERS WORDS QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

    AS FOR WIN NOW, THE WHITE SOX NEED A VETERAN CATCHER THAT IS PROVEN TO BE GOOD WITH YOUNG PITCHERS.  OTHER THAN THAT, I DON'T KNOW IF I PURSUE ANY FREE AGENTS THIS WINTER.   BUT IF MY SCHWARBER/CANDELARIO FOR QUINTANA FANTASY COMES TRUE, THEN OUR WHITE SOX NEED TO BUY A STAFF ACE AND A LEGIT LEADOFF HITTER

    I love you

    Thankfully for the Sox, LaRoche cut himself.  Where a sane player would have collected the money and ridden the pine.   Ergo, the problem with these vet multi-year deals.  Guys don't refund any money because they're being overpaid (Cabrera, Shields, Robertson, Danks, Dunn,etc).

    Soto was supposed to that veteran Catcher who's good with pitchers.  Suppose a lot of vets fit that mold if you're not too picky whether they hit or not. 

    Don't know how the Sox get a really, really good young hitter at the trade deadline even if offering up Quintana who no longer has that kind of pull. 
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1712
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: We're #3

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:19 pm

    Maybe if they asked very very very nicely
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

    Posts : 998
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: We're #3

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:53 pm

    WIN THE PENNANT NOW!!

    Sponsored content

    Re: We're #3

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:12 pm