Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Time to trade Holland

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Time to trade Holland

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 am

Looks like the White Sox did a better job of evaluating Holland's ability than the numbers nerds.

Now that Holland appears to be fully recovered, and yes, sometimes it takes multiple years, I would say its time to trade him.

Holland doesn't fit into the long term plans and the White Sox will soon need roster spots for Carlos Rodon and James Shield.

Maybe the White Sox can package him with Robertson.
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Re: Time to trade Holland

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 am

This needs to be discussed with Murph.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Looks like the White Sox did a better job of evaluating Holland's ability than the numbers nerds.
    Now that Holland appears to be fully recovered, and yes, sometimes it takes multiple years, I would say its time to trade him.
    Holland doesn't fit into the long term plans and the White Sox will soon need roster spots for Carlos Rodon and James Shield.
    Maybe the White Sox can package him with Robertson.

Agree the Sox should try to get some value from Holland while they can.  But don't know how many of today's stat-oriented GM's will be fooled by his respectable-looking 3.79 ERA given his ugly 5.37 FIP.   He's allowing nearly 2 HR's per 9.  
    Sure, Holland has developed some wily veteran skills to tiptoe through the tulips even though his stuff is weak. Because he nibbles he walks too many guys but hasn't been burned by it too badly (yet).   Who knows how long he can keep up the tightwire act.

Maybe there are teams out there that will buy the "fully recovered" story.  But the last time he was a good pitcher was
    4 years ago when his FB was 3-4 mph faster than it is today. He isn't "back" to being that pitcher again and never will be.
    If I'm a GM, I see him as # 4-5 starter and maybe worth a hard-throwing prospect in A ball who can't find home plate.  But there's a sucker born every minute and maybe the Sox can find one to BELIEVE that this year is Holland's Opus.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:58 pm

I think your last paragraph describe Tom Kahnle a few years back.

Agreed that or maybe 2 of that is the best to hope for Holland

GM will be more willing to be suckered if Holland is packaged

Hey, combine him with Frazier and it's the package of suckage

LMAO
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:I think your last paragraph describe Tom Kahnle a few years back.

Agreed that or maybe 2 of that is the best to hope for Holland

GM will be more willing to be suckered if Holland is packaged

Hey, combine him with Frazier and it's the package of suckage

LMAO

Exactly.  Kahnle was throwing 94 a few years back, and had no clue where home plate was.  This year, he's throwing strikes at 98-99.  Credits Cooper with making a change in his mechanics.

Quick look at which contender might need Frazier and all I see is Boston right now unless somebody gets hurt.  They probably wouldn't want Holland though as they already have 3 LHers in the rotation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 am