Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Article on Garcia

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Article on Garcia

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 am

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/231084442/white-sox-avisail-garcia-just-keeps-hitting/?topicId=27118146

NO MENTION OF HIM BEING A LUCKY STIFF THAT IS HITTING WAY TOO MANY GROUNDBALLS
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: Article on Garcia

Post by rmapasad on Fri May 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/231084442/white-sox-avisail-garcia-just-keeps-hitting/?topicId=27118146

NO MENTION OF HIM BEING A LUCKY STIFF THAT IS HITTING WAY TOO MANY GROUNDBALLS

First of all, a White Sox rag won't publish stuff like that.  You will see articles in Fan Graphs ALL THE TIME regarding "lucky" v. "unlucky" hitters using BABIP and other metrics.

Second, as I've said there's both luck and genuine improvements as to what Garcia is doing. He is currently at a 19% hit rate on groundballs to the IF.  Last year, the highest IF hit rate was 14% and that was by an absolute speed burner (Herrera) which Garcia is not.  So some correction will happen there. 
    But yes, fewer K's, more balls in play, more power have all been genuine pluses.

Third, Garcia jumping on the first couple pitches (42% this yr v. 27%  last) has been key to a lot of his success although he's hitting better in later counts than last year too.  I doubt he can maintain a .477 BA on first or second pitches in an AB, especially as the league wises up more to his aggressiveness strategy.

Fourth, we are barely 1/4 into the season and while I'd like to believe that Garcia has been "healed",let's see what happens.  He's confident for sure and that, like an old coach I used to coach against said, "confidence is the key to good hitting."  But confidence can go quickly in slumps.
    Avi hit .354 in his first 85 PA's with the Sox back in 2013 so it's not like he hasn't had hot streaks before. 

I don't know where he's going to come out when the smoke clears this season, but the possibilities of a genuine breakout season which were something like 15% before the year have definitely jumped based on the things he's doing so far.
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Fri May 19, 2017 3:44 pm

WHAT AN ARTICLE!!

NEAT!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Jack Brickhouse wrote:WHAT AN ARTICLE!!

NEAT!!!

First positive article on Avi since about 4 years ago when he first came.   He's been overdue.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Had to laugh.  I saw a few innings of the game last night, first I saw of the Sox this season.  Seattle announcers mention they were talking to the "great Hawk Harrelson" about Avisail Garcia and how Hawk says Avisail is the best 5 tool player he's ever seen in a Sox uniform.  Seattle announcers must not be aware of the hyperbole that is routine for Hawk.  I remember Hawk saying the same thing about Tank a few years ago and Carlos Quentin a few years before that.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 pm

jaywit wrote:Had to laugh.  I saw a few innings of the game last night, first I saw of the Sox this season.  Seattle announcers mention they were talking to the "great Hawk Harrelson" about Avisail Garcia and how Hawk says Avisail is the best 5 tool player he's ever seen in a Sox uniform.  Seattle announcers must not be aware of the hyperbole that is routine for Hawk.  I remember Hawk saying the same thing about Tank a few years ago and Carlos Quentin a few years before that.

Welcome back, Jay.  Hear Hawk broadcasts occasionally and recall all his hyberbole about Sox players over the years.  Guys on hot streaks somehow get pimped like they're budding Hall of Famers.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Sun May 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Regardless

Somebody proclaiming that Garcia's hot start was fueled by lucky groundball hits was one of the dumbest things ever posted

Talk about gross exaggerations....
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 am

rmapasad wrote:
    jaywit wrote:Had to laugh.  I saw a few innings of the game last night, first I saw of the Sox this season.  Seattle announcers mention they were talking to the "great Hawk Harrelson" about Avisail Garcia and how Hawk says Avisail is the best 5 tool player he's ever seen in a Sox uniform.  Seattle announcers must not be aware of the hyperbole that is routine for Hawk.  I remember Hawk saying the same thing about Tank a few years ago and Carlos Quentin a few years before that.

Welcome back, Jay.  Hear Hawk broadcasts occasionally and recall all his hyberbole about Sox players over the years.  Guys on hot streaks somehow get pimped like they're budding Hall of Famers.
    Thanks Roger.  I frequently stop and read the posts on this board even though it's been awhile since I posted.  I just laughed out loud when hearing the Seattle announcers quoting a typical Hawk hyperbole.  Turns out that isn't just a broadcast schtick for Hawk, he talks like that in everyday conversation. 

OTOH, Garcia looked far better than when I saw him a couple of years ago.  Leaner.  Looks like he took off about 15 pounds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:49 am