Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Maybe Avisail Garcia is for real

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Maybe Avisail Garcia is for real

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708780-mlb-metrics-101-ranking-mlbs-luckiest-hitters-of-2017

Garcia not only fails to make the top 10, he doesn't even get an honorable mention

Gee, I would think a guy who's OPS goes from 692 to 911 would be a prime candidate for this list.

Now I doubt anybody expects him to be hitting 330 at the end of the year, but its looking like he has improved as a player.  a 340 OBP with a 470 SLG and ever improving defense makes him a legitimate RF.  That's where I am pegging Garcia now.

Again, the KARK was proven 100% wrong in not believing Garcia could turn it around.  Good thing Williams and Hahn had faith that Garcia would learn to use the tools he was blessed with
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Maybe Avisail Garcia is for real

Post by rmapasad on Thu May 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708780-mlb-metrics-101-ranking-mlbs-luckiest-hitters-of-2017

Garcia not only fails to make the top 10, he doesn't even get an honorable mention

Gee, I would think a guy who's OPS goes from 692 to 911 would be a prime candidate for this list.

Now I doubt anybody expects him to be hitting 330 at the end of the year, but its looking like he has improved as a player.  a 340 OBP with a 470 SLG and ever improving defense makes him a legitimate RF.  That's where I am pegging Garcia now.

Again, the KARK was proven 100% wrong in not believing Garcia could turn it around.  Good thing Williams and Hahn had faith that Garcia would learn to use the tools he was blessed with

You let 6 weeks change your whole outlook on Garcia ?  He may still end up with a crappy season. Long way to go.  Even if he bombs, it was worth taking the shot on him.  HE's 26, has physical skills, and Sox
    have a shortage of OF/DH types in the upper minors.  None of that has changed.  His competition looks as bad as ever.
    I do think Garcia has made SOME progress - his power is up, he's been more aggressive in going after pitches in the strike zone without chasing anymore bad pitches than last year. So his K rate is down slightly and his defense has improved. But even though he isn't chasing anymore bad pitches, he's still chasing too many and is vulnerable to offspeed stuff.
    His current BA (and OBP and Slug) looks really spiffy right now, but it's fueled by insane rate of groundballs finding holes. (he's hitting .372 on grounders v. 245 league).  When the reversion occurs, we'll see where he ends up.  In fact it may be starting already as he's had a 516 OPS with no EB hits in May.  Granted, it's only 28 PA's but it does raise the question of whether pitchers have found some adjustments. He's going to have to adjust back to their adjustments. 
    There is one stat that matters most - his Slug - BA (ISO). If that number is over 170, he's made the progress in power that might save his career. 
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu May 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Something's never change

Crying or Very sad
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu May 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Something's never change

Crying or Very sad

Exactly. I haven't changed my mind that giving him a shot this year was the right thing. IMO, that issue was settled when all his would-be competitors laid an egg in Spring Training. Only remaining question is whether he's worth keeping in 2018 and that won't be settled for some while.

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu May 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Whatever

True White Sox fans are more worried about correcting this current funk and getting back into contention.  

Moncada and Kopech will be key.  But OUR White Sox will need to engage in some out of the box thinking.  Can Renteria be a chess master?
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Whatever

True White Sox fans are more worried about correcting this current funk and getting back into contention.  

Moncada and Kopech will be key.  But OUR White Sox will need to engage in some out of the box thinking.  Can Renteria be a chess master?

"Current funk" means the last five years ?   Renteria could be a grand master but when he's playing with nothing more than Pawns and a couple Knights, not a lot of games to be won.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 am

WHEN YOU HATE THE WHITE SOX, YOU HATE YOURSELF

THE KARK CHOOSES LIFE
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Fri May 12, 2017 1:30 pm

GET TO SFOD WHERE YOU CAN LEAD THE OUT OF THE BOX THINKING!!!

MAKE DANKS THE CLOSER!!

HOWIE LOVED THAT IDEA!!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Jack Brickhouse wrote:

GET TO SFOD WHERE YOU CAN LEAD THE OUT OF THE BOX THINKING!!!

MAKE DANKS THE CLOSER!!

HOWIE LOVED THAT IDEA!!!

How about this out-of-the-box idea - get some guys who can hit ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:35 pm