Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

SNICKER

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

SNICKER

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:11 pm

SOTO TO THE DL

KEVAN SMITH RECALLED

MEANWHILE, MATT WIETERS HAS A 1.114 OPS
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: SNICKER

Post by rmapasad on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:SOTO TO THE DL
    KEVAN SMITH RECALLED
    MEANWHILE, MATT WIETERS HAS A 1.114 OPS

Hey, Soto had a 1.256 OPS before going on the DL.   Lots of strange things can happen in first 10 games.  Miguel Cabrera can be hitting .133 and the guy leading all the majors in Bat Avg at .452 goes by the name of Avisail Garcia.
    Things can change and quickly.  Miggy's past insures he'll get plenty of chances to right the ship despite his poor start.  And Avi and Wieters' hot start insures they will get plenty of chances to sink the ship despite their recent past.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 pm

SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN'T TAKE A JOKE

SNICKER
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN'T TAKE A JOKE

SNICKER

Of course I got the joke.  There is a point about Garcia's hot start that you might have missed though.   He's 14 for 31 right now.  That adds an automatic 10-12 pts to his seasonal Avg.  Say he hits a crummy .255 in next 500 ab's, it still gets him a more respectable looking .267 yearly average.    

So he's already given himself a decent boost for a 2018 job.  Of course he could fall into the canyon again.  His current streak is based on seeing eye singles and that luck can change in a flash.  He isn't swinging at quite as many bad pitches as before, but it's not significantly less either.  He's only hit 1 HR so far and that pace he hits less than 20 on the year. Plus his walk rate is subpar as usual. But he could still limp in hitting .250-.255 from here on and wind up with a yearly .265/.315/.415 mark.  Considering his "competition', a 730 OPS probably buys him one more turn with the Sox in 2018.

Understand I'm not saying he WILL make even the weak 730 mark.  But he has made it more feasible now.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:42 pm

And now the term paper detailing the obvious
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:31 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:And now the term paper detailing the obvious

OK, I'll confess to being slow, but it wasn't obvious to me until doing the math how Garcia's insanely hot start (near.500 BA) might possibly turn his inevitable sub-mediocrity over the next 5 months into near respectability when the final season's numbers are tallied.  And that a seasonal .265 BA/ 730-740 OPS, which is now more conceivable, could possibly give his sorry ass yet another chance in 2018 .
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:34 am

I WOULDN'T SAY YOUR SLOW, I'D SAY YOU OBSESSED

YOU CAN'T LAUGH ANYTHING OFF

YOU CAN'T LET ANYTHING GO

YOU MUST BE 100% CORRECT 100% OF THE TIME REGARDLESS OF HOW TRIVIAL THE ISSUE.

YOU REALLY SHOULD SEE SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS

OR MAYBE YOU JUST ENJOY BEING A MISERABLE CONTRARIAN.

ALL SPRING LONG YOU TOLD THIS BOARD A REBUILDING TEAM NEEDED TO TAKE CHANCES ON GUYS LIKE AVISAIL GARCIA.

WELL GARCIA IS DOING EXACTLY WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO SHOW HE WAS WORTH THE GAMBLE.

SO NOW YOU ARE COMPLAINING HE IS PLAYING HIS WAY ONTO THE 2018.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:I WOULDN'T SAY YOUR SLOW, I'D SAY YOU OBSESSED
    YOU CAN'T LAUGH ANYTHING OFF
    YOU CAN'T LET ANYTHING GO
    YOU MUST BE 100% CORRECT 100% OF THE TIME REGARDLESS OF HOW TRIVIAL THE ISSUE.
    YOU REALLY SHOULD SEE SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS
    OR MAYBE YOU JUST ENJOY BEING A MISERABLE CONTRARIAN.
    ALL SPRING LONG YOU TOLD THIS BOARD A REBUILDING TEAM NEEDED TO TAKE CHANCES ON GUYS LIKE AVISAIL GARCIA.
    WELL GARCIA IS DOING EXACTLY WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO SHOW HE WAS WORTH THE GAMBLE.
    SO NOW YOU ARE COMPLAINING HE IS PLAYING HIS WAY ONTO THE 2018.
    WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU

First of all, I can certainly laugh at the thought of YOU telling anyone "to see someone". Second, Garcia's hot start isn't due to the changes he needs to make like better plate discipline or elevating the ball more to get greater power. He's just hitting seeing eye singles and all that does is artificially inflate his Bat Avg... If that's what ends up saving his ass for 2018, it's nothing to celebrate.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:03 pm

I JUST LOVED HIS SEEING EYE TWO RUN BOMB THAT WON THE GAME EASTER SUNDAY.

HOWEVER, FEEL FREE TO CALL COOPERSTOWN TO NOTIFY THEM THAT IT WAS A PHONY HOMERUN AND YOU HAVE THE STATS TO PROVE IT

AS FOR YOUR "YOU" COMMENT.  KISS MY ASTERISK

tongue
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:23 pm

rmapasad wrote:

OK, I'll confess to being slow, but it wasn't obvious to me until doing the math how Garcia's insanely hot start (near.500 BA) might possibly turn his inevitable sub-mediocrity over the next 5 months into near respectability when the final season's numbers are tallied.  And that a seasonal .265 BA/ 730-740 OPS, which is now more conceivable, could possibly give his sorry ass yet another chance in 2018 .

Apparently it isn't obvious to you that Hahn and company access to all the statistical information you do and then some.

Or do you honestly believe that only you would spot a hot April followed by 5 months of crap.

Nor is it obvious to you how you are now blatantly contradicting yourself on Garcia.

I VOTED FOR AVISAIL GARCIA, B4 I VOTED AGAINST HIM

Not that there is anything wrong with being skeptical, but to proclaim his first 2 weeks is artificial.....

Well that just re-enforces all the negative things I have said about you

BTW, the reason I say those things is that there really is no reasoning with you.  Something I have know since 2009 when you out right lied about 1.8
    Mr Modelo
    Joe Borchard's Teammate

Post by Mr Modelo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm

During yesterday's game, Harrelson and Stone were discussing Garcia's turn around and mention how returning to rightfield has been instrumental.  They mentioned that Garcia hated DHing and begged Ventura to put him back into RF.  I think it was wise that Renteria returned him to the field.  In 2015, Garcia lead the league in assists, so the defensive potential is there.  The only way to fulfill this potential is to play him.  It's only two weeks.  So maybe this is all a fluke.  However, as a Sox Fan, I will hope that it is real.  As Harrelson said yesterday, Garcia is the closest thing to a 5 tool player the White Sox have ever had.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:46 pm

I just wish he could catch as well as he can throw.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

Apparently it isn't obvious to you that Hahn and company access to all the statistical information you do and then some.

Or do you honestly believe that only you would spot a hot April followed by 5 months of crap.

Nor is it obvious to you how you are now blatantly contradicting yourself on Garcia.

Not that there is anything wrong with being skeptical, but to proclaim his first 2 weeks is artificial.....

Well that just re-enforces all the negative things I have said about you

BTW, the reason I say those things is that there really is no reasoning with you.  Something I have know since 2009 when you out right lied about 1.8

[size=13]Of course, Hahn would see the affects of the real Garcia showing up from May onward. But I think Avi has another backer in the front office and that backer is looking for justifications to keep trying with Avi. A reasonably respectable-looking .265-.270 BA is justification particularly considering the lack of competitors.
    As far as this last couple weeks being artificial, the numbers scream "yes". .561 BA for balls hit into the playing field and 90% of those hits are singles. Not all singles are luck, but since his line drive % isn't much higher and hard hit ball % is lower than last year, it sure looks like luck. His K numbers are slightly lower, BB the same, and his HR's would pencil out to 23 over full season of 550 PA's. That's better than before but he needs 30+ HR's to drown out his defense, baserunning and OBP weaknesses.

Read the other poster's comments about Hawk and Stone think his playing RF instead of DHing is responsible for this rebirth. Maybe, but this streak of balls finding the right holes or gaps will cool down and we'll see if Garcia has the discipline to lay off pitches that he shouldn't be swinging at. That will be the true test, IMO, of whether he's made any real changes this year or not.

/size]
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Mr Modelo wrote:During yesterday's game, Harrelson and Stone were discussing Garcia's turn around and mention how returning to rightfield has been instrumental.  They mentioned that Garcia hated DHing and begged Ventura to put him back into RF.  I think it was wise that Renteria returned him to the field.  In 2015, Garcia lead the league in assists, so the defensive potential is there.  The only way to fulfill this potential is to play him.  It's only two weeks.  So maybe this is all a fluke.  However, as a Sox Fan, I will hope that it is real.  As Harrelson said yesterday, Garcia is the closest thing to a 5 tool player the White Sox have ever had.

The fascination with Garcia continues in Chicago's broadcast booth. The "5 tools" are supposed to be:
    1)  Hitting for Power
    2)  Hitting for Average
    3)  Fielding Ability
    4)  Throwing Ability
    5)  Speed

Garcia's career numbers basically say he's been a 1-tool player (throwing). His BA and power are below average for a RFer so far. His ability to track down flyballs is subpar and his supposed speed (which scouts said he had too) hasn't translated into anything on the bases or in the field. If he has all those "tools" he isn't using them very well.

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:48 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Mr Modelo wrote:During yesterday's game, Harrelson and Stone were discussing Garcia's turn around and mention how returning to rightfield has been instrumental.  They mentioned that Garcia hated DHing and begged Ventura to put him back into RF.  I think it was wise that Renteria returned him to the field.  In 2015, Garcia lead the league in assists, so the defensive potential is there.  The only way to fulfill this potential is to play him.  It's only two weeks.  So maybe this is all a fluke.  However, as a Sox Fan, I will hope that it is real.  As Harrelson said yesterday, Garcia is the closest thing to a 5 tool player the White Sox have ever had.

The fascination with Garcia continues in Chicago's broadcast booth.   The "5 tools" are supposed to be:
    1)  Hitting for Power
    2)  Hitting for Average
    3)  Fielding Ability
    4)  Throwing Ability
    5)  Speed

Garcia's career numbers basically say he's been a 1-tool player (throwing).  His BA and power are below average for a RFer so far.  His ability to track down flyballs is subpar and his supposed speed (which scouts said he had too) hasn't translated into anything on the bases or in the field.   If he has all those "tools" he isn't using them very well.

Excuse me, but i don't believe you answered the main question

in case you forgot, that question is

Why did you spend the entire spring telling the board Avisail Garcia is exactly the type of player the 2017 White Sox should gamble on; only to change your mind; despite a start hotter than anybody's wildest dream; and are now telling us that Avisail Garcia will be a detriment to the 2018 White Sox.

You truly are one double talking piece of work.

A month ago it look at Jose Guillen and Eric Karros and a host of other loosely connected comps.  Now, its lets examine every hit, as well and the speed and trajectory and even the spin rate of each ball he bats into fair territory.  

You are just like a politician.  But instead of blaming fake news, you are blaming fake hits.  

PS, there is no doubt in my mind that had Garcia started out like Cody Asche, you'd be going on and on about how 2 weeks means nothing and that there is still plenty of time to turn it around and that he has an usually high percentage of balls hit right at people and he'd be batting over 300 if not for all those fake outs.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:00 am

"Gambling" on a player is not the same thing as using a player who is already on the roster as a "spot holder" until the kids are ready.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:00 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

Excuse me, but i don't believe you answered the main question
    in case you forgot, that question is
    Why did you spend the entire spring telling the board Avisail Garcia is exactly the type of player the 2017 White Sox should gamble on; only to change your mind; despite a start hotter than anybody's wildest dream; and are now telling us that Avisail Garcia will be a detriment to the 2018 White Sox.
    You truly are one double talking piece of work.
    A month ago it look at Jose Guillen and Eric Karros and a host of other loosely connected comps.  Now, its lets examine every hit, as well and the speed and trajectory and even the spin rate of each ball he bats into fair territory.  
    You are just like a politician.  But instead of blaming fake news, you are blaming fake hits.  
    PS, there is no doubt in my mind that had Garcia started out like Cody Asche, you'd be going on and on about how 2 weeks means nothing and that there is still plenty of time to turn it around and that he has an usually high percentage of balls hit right at people and he'd be batting over 300 if not for all those fake outs.

This is so typical of what you do.  Rather than take the real jist of someone else's arguments, you over-simplify and twist the narrative to make it (dishonestly) into a supposed huge contradiction on my part.
    Here was what I had ACTUALLY said about Garcia:
    1- Garcia is 26, an age at which guys occasionally develop more power which is the main thing that could save Garcia's career. Like power surges did for Jose Guillen or JD Martinez.  Plus more plate discipline. 

2 - Sox had no one else with a clearly better case for knocking him off the roster entering Spring Training (Liriano, Asche, Bourjous, etc). Obviously during ST none of them did anything to help their chances and Garcia at least didn't hurt his.  So why not play the long shot gamble on Garcia ?

Sure, it would be have been easy to have said "see, told you the Sox should keep Garcia" after his blistering start.   But that would have defied the REAL facts. Normally 1/4 of all groundballs result in hits.  So far, 57% of Avi's grounders have gone for hits.  This is not because he's hitting the ball harder this year..If Garcia's salvation this year comes simply because of adding 10-12 pts to his seasonal BA with this hot start of seeing eye singles, that would not serve the Sox well.

When it comes to the real big change Garcia needs to make (POWER), the jury is still out.  There is some evidence that a power surge could happen but not enough to get excited about. So my position on Garcia has not changed one iota from where it was two months ago.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Fuck you

Your the lying asshole that claimed Garcia's hot start is dumb luck

Fuck you and fuck your junk science

Maybe you should have cared about your first wife as much as you do about these stupid stats

I'm thru with your worthless lying arrogant ass
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Fuck you

Maybe you should have cared about your first wife as much as you do about these stupid stats

And you threaten to run for office...
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Fuck you

You are truly a miserable human being. You prove over and over that you are capable of sinking to the lowest level possible.  Resorting to personal insults usually means a person has lost an argument, and that is your pattern.  When you really have no viable comeback, the other person is "lying" or inventing something (like the so-called "junk science" widely accepted by the baseball world for over a decade) or has some character problem.  Just to let you know, this kind of junior high school level arguing that you do has never proved much of an intellectual challenge.  The only enjoyment I have gotten s dismembering the over-simplified BS your big ego pumps out. 

Your low opinion of me doesn't faze me one iota.  I'd only be worried if you liked me.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:32 pm

WRONG!!!!

I've proven my case over and over and over again.

1)  You intially said the crap carnival in the White Sox spring training had a 1 in four chance.  When pressed for detailed, you said this was based on the percentage of a top 5 draft pick making it.  The problem was, the group in questions was not top 5 draft picks.  So your little study was provem irrelevant
    2)  then you claimed it was 1 in 5.  When pressed for detailed, it was revealed that your WAR criteria excluded the very player we were discussing.  So again, you wasted everybodies time with an irrelevant study.
    3) then you came up with 1 in 10.  While that now included Garcia, it only was for one year.  Not the two or three that would have truly made a a relevant model to a Garcia comp comparison.  But it was enough to lead you to make a bunch of bogus comps like Garcia to Eric Karros.
    4)  You prove yourself a hypocrit when I did the exact same thing with Anderson and Dawson that you did with Garcia and Karros and claimed my comp was somehow phony.  Then you have the nerve to claim I oversimplify and twist.  Talk about projection
    5)  Now after a miracle hot start, you do a complete 180 on Garcia by claiming its all dumb luck
    6)  Then you make wild claims that your sloppy statisitcal analysis is widely accepted.  Yet you never provide any proof.  I doubt anybody else has heard how what Garcia is nothing but luck and would soon revert to 2016 form.  In other words, try linking an article explaining all this socalled widely accepted science, instead of giving us your bastardize version of it
    7)  You strongly imply that Garcia would be bad for the 2018 team based on his lucky start.  Yet you fail to see how this would sound like double talk.  If he is bad for the future, why would we waste time on him on the present.
    8.  This is an ongoing pattern with you going all the way back to 1.8 where you decided to lie about how sabermetians would know how to work around multicolinearity instead of doing the common sense thing and looking up the definition.  Had you done that, you'd have quickly realized the stat invented by a journalism school drop out was invalid.  PS, you lied about that to.  
    9)  It was you that couldn't let a little joke regarding Soto and Wieter slide.  Instead it was you that proved to be the miserable SOB who apparently can't be wrong about anything
    10)  I can go on and go and on.  But its just so much easy to call you a liar who uses junk science.  But just to clarify, when I say liar, I really mean a self righteous, arrogant condescending clown with obvious self esteem and compensation issues and thinks being a deliberate contrarian is a substitute for his lack of intelligence.  And that junk science is really a reference to your sloppy research and math skills where you have repeatedly gotten other peoples work wrong, or ignored certain parts of it because it disproved your case, or simply invented stuff because you conned most of the board into thinking you are some kind of expert and you could always hide behind the big bad KARK's reputation.

PS, I must really love you had some level to spend all this time trying to help you become a better person by showing you which of your faults need correcting  Razz
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:

PS, I must really love you had some level to spend all this time trying to help you become a better person by showing you which of your faults need correcting  Razz

I'm sure your family loves it when you tell them to "fuck off" in the name of trying to make them "better people".
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 am

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

I'm sure your family loves it when you tell them to "fuck off" in the name of trying to make them "better people".

ARE YOU STAN THE MAN OR STAN THE PUSSY?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

ARE YOU STAN THE MAN OR STAN THE PUSSY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You're going to be Kark the Gelding the first time you tell your wife to fuck off and she does her best Lorrena Bobbit impersonation.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 am

This is so typical of what you do.  Rather than take the real jist of someone else's arguments, you over-simplify and twist the narrative to make it (dishonestly) into a supposed huge contradiction on my part.
    Here was what I had ACTUALLY said about Garcia:
    1- Garcia is 26, an age at which guys occasionally develop more power which is the main thing that could save Garcia's career. Like power surges did for Jose Guillen or JD Martinez.  Plus more plate discipline. 

Wrong Again!!!

This is actually typical of you and your arrogance and your stubbornness.

You claim that I don't get the jist.  Yet you conventiently leave out that you had to redo your little stiff to star study 3 times because I pointed out fatal flaws in the logic of those studies.  And that fatal flaw was that your sample did not represent the player we were discussing.  so in truth, I did get the jist and it turned out you were wrong.  But instead of admitting it, you make some grand proclamation of the obvious.  As if you and the obscure stat blogs you read are the only ones that ever noticed baseball player tend to improve dramactically in there mid 20's

So your claim about what you actually said about Garcia is not an opinion, its more like a NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

AS for me routinely insulting you, its not an admission that I'm wrong and this is all I have left.  I more of an admission that you once again annoyed me with your arrogance and pigheadedness.  Calling your work "junk science" isn't an insult.  Its an appropriate description of a statistical study that has been reworked 3 times and still has fatal flaws in logic.  so the reason I drove the very low road is not because of your mistaken belief that I lost an argument.  I drove it because I thought it was the most obvious way to point out the typical pattern of your bad behavior.

So if anything, you should be thanking me for constantly playing the role of the kleenex to your mathematical masterbation.  Unlike the rest of the board, I lack the sense to ignore your statistical spoog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm