Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Quick draft analysis

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Quick draft analysis

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Since some people here think the 2017 should be all about the 2018 draft, here's a little draft retrospective for the White Sox.

From 2006 to 2016, in the top five picks, the White Sox took:

P - 36
    OF - 8
    C - 4
    1B - 2
    2B - 2
    SS - 2
    3B - 1

Now think about the following:

Pitching should make up less than half the roster.  Almost 2/3 of the time, the White Sox devoted a top 5 pick to pitching.

The best hitters in baseball tend to be OF or 1B.  The White Sox took an OF or 1B just under 1/5 the time.

The best all around players tend to be drafted at SS or OF.  About 1/6 of the time, the White Sox drafted a SS or CF.

So spare me if I don't jump on this LET'S SUCK FOR DRAFT PICKS bandwagon.

What the White Sox really need to do after all the young pitching acquired this winter is to focus on hitting the next two drafts.  However, I don't see any evidence that the White Sox will abandon their excessively pitching centric approach or organization building.

In other words, if the Sox are given the choice between Joe Mauer and Mark Prior, the White Sox will take the Prior everytime.  Just like in real life, this will prove to be the wrong answer.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Quick draft analysis

Post by alohafri on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:Since some people here think the 2017 should be all about the 2018 draft, here's a little draft retrospective for the White Sox.

From 2006 to 2016, in the top five picks, the White Sox took:

P - 36
    OF - 8
    C - 4
    1B - 2
    2B - 2
    SS - 2
    3B - 1

Now think about the following:

Pitching should make up less than half the roster.  Almost 2/3 of the time, the White Sox devoted a top 5 pick to pitching.

The best hitters in baseball tend to be OF or 1B.  The White Sox took an OF or 1B just under 1/5 the time.

The best all around players tend to be drafted at SS or OF.  About 1/6 of the time, the White Sox drafted a SS or CF.

So spare me if I don't jump on this LET'S SUCK FOR DRAFT PICKS bandwagon.

What the White Sox really need to do after all the young pitching acquired this winter is to focus on hitting the next two drafts.  However, I don't see any evidence that the White Sox will abandon their excessively pitching centric approach or organization building.

In other words, if the Sox are given the choice between Joe Mauer and Mark Prior, the White Sox will take the Prior everytime.  Just like in real life, this will prove to be the wrong answer.

False logic! Rick Hahn is now in charge, not Stanford Kenny.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:59 pm

2014 - 2016 also appears to be heavy on the pitching

The White Sox are also rumored to be asking for even more pitching in potential Quintana trades.

PS, was Kenny ever truly in charge?  Things like preemptive rest and the OCD regarding pitching seems to pre date him.  My guess is that the Hawk has always had Reinsdorf ear.  While he may not have called the shots, he was probably critiqing them.  

Anywho,  we'll know in 4 months.  If 8 of the first 10 picks and pitchers, then the same invisible hand is pulling the strings
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:21 pm

IN A RELATED QUICK STUDY,

THE KARK LOOKED AT THE LAST 10 HITTERS AND PITCHERS THAT WHERE 1ST BALLOT HOF

HITTERS:                      PITCHERS:
    Ivan Rodriguez              Randy Johnson
    Ken Griffey JR               Pedro Martinez
    Frank Thomas               John smoltz
    Rickey Henderson         Greg Maddux
    cal Ripken Jr                 Tom Glavine
    Tony Gwynn                 Dennis Eckersley
    Wade Boggs                 Nolan Ryan
    Paul Molitor                  Steve Carlton
    Eddie Murray                Tom Seaver
    Ozzie Smith                  Jim Palmer

Only 2 hitters were traded before having 6 years of service time.  Rickey and Ozzie.  However, they were traded because their terms knew they couldn't afford the free agency.

Johnson, Martinez, Smoltz, Eckersley and Ryan were all traded young.  Carlton is a maybe at age 26, however that was 1971 b4 free agency.

Seems to me, the best hitters show it early and teams don't let them get away useless they are too poor to keep them.  But pitching, you will always find some that is available.

so this desire by the White Sox to be this haven of top pitching from top to bottom seems a little silly.

Not only that, they are doing a piss poor job of it.  all the pitchers acquired this winter immediately went to the front of the class,
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:10 am

I like it far more when the Sox sign washed up players named Adam.
    Every Summer I am re-dedicated to PRETEND THEY CONTEND.
    Leading cheers....Ignoring what is happening on the field...Waiting for that 1983 style charge....

FANBOYING MATTERS!!!!!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Another liquid lunch Robert

or was it beer for breakfast

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am