Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Bartolo Colon

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Bartolo Colon

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 am

How many gave this guy up for dead after his 2nd stint wiht the White Sox?!?!?!?!

Since turning 40, colon has won 18,15,14,15 games and made the all-star team twice.

Wonder how many SABR-geeks modeled that one

I suppose the Californian would rather be trying the Mike Bertotti and Scott Ruffcorn's of the world while that teacher makes immature comments regarding the KARK's IQ

Truth is, Bartolo Colon in his 40's is far more impressive than Jim Parque in his 20's

Youth doesn't mean good.  Old doesn't mean bad.  Rebuilding doesn't mean deliberately sucking.

Thinking means adapting to reality, not adapting reality to your way of thinking
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Bartolo Colon

Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am

Bartolo makes sense on a team like the Mets who are going for it. He makes no sense on a team that is rebuilding.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 am

AGAIN YOU COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:59 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:AGAIN YOU COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT

How many teams passed on Bartolo Colon? You act as if the White Sox were the only team who looked at him and said "he's over the hill".

What was the bidding war for Big Papi when the Twins let him go?

Yes, sometimes you get lighting in a bottle. Too bad the White Sox storm ended in 2005. 
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 am

Richard Lindberg wrote in his book that RETOOL has made the Sox highly competitve.

He is a celebrity guest at SFOD Meetings and has a devoted follower named MURPH!!!!!!!!!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 am

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:AGAIN YOU COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT

How many teams passed on Bartolo Colon? You act as if the White Sox were the only team who looked at him and said "he's over the hill".

What was the bidding war for Big Papi when the Twins let him go?

Yes, sometimes you get lighting in a bottle. Too bad the White Sox storm ended in 2005. 

ONCE AGAIN, THAT IS NOT THE POINT I AM MAKING

TRY READING ENTIRE POST NEXT TIME
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:How many gave this guy up for dead after his 2nd stint wiht the White Sox?!?!?!?!
    Since turning 40, colon has won 18,15,14,15 games and made the all-star team twice.
    I suppose the Californian would rather be trying the Mike Bertotti and Scott Ruffcorn's of the world while that teacher makes immature comments regarding the KARK's IQ
    Truth is, Bartolo Colon in his 40's is far more impressive than Jim Parque in his 20's
    Youth doesn't mean good.  Old doesn't mean bad.  Rebuilding doesn't mean deliberately sucking.
    Thinking means adapting to reality, not adapting reality to your way of thinking

First of all, it was a "saber geek" team (the A's) who gave Colon a launchpad in 2012.  Second, yes there are always EXCEPTIONS to the general rule that most careers die in the mid-30's and Colon is one of them.  Interesting that you tout this particular exception but don't admit that there are any exceptions to the general rule that guys who suck in their early-mid 20's will also suck in mid-late 20's.  You are willing to give up on a whole group of 25-27 year old Sox Quad A types and leave them for dead in adherence to THAT general rule.
    Of course old is not automatically bad and young good.  But the difference is that when a younger guy turns the corner at age 26-27 (like one of Colon's old teammates, Josh Donaldson) they can have a 4-5 year run left PLUS the team still has financial control over a younger guy where vets cost money.  Colon has been over $ 10 mil per the last few years. 
    Yes, you can argue that Carter costs the same as Garcia this year.   But assuming they both have good years, the difference is that Garcia is still arb eligible and Carter is a free agent who probably will be looking for a big raise and multi-years.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:01 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:How many gave this guy up for dead after his 2nd stint wiht the White Sox?!?!?!?!

First of all, it was a "saber geek" team (the A's) who gave Colon a launchpad in 2012.

MUST ADMIT, GOT ME ON THIS ONE

Second, yes there are always EXCEPTIONS to the general rule that most careers die in the mid-30's and Colon is one of them.  Interesting that you tout this particular exception but don't admit that there are any exceptions to the general rule that guys who suck in their early-mid 20's will also suck in mid-late 20's.  You are willing to give up on a whole group of 25-27 year old Sox Quad A types and leave them for dead in adherence to THAT general rule.

ANOTHER GOOD POINT.  LETS COMPROMISE AND LIMIT IT TO QUAD A CRAP MAKING AT LEAST 3 MIL A YEAR BECAUSE THE FRONT OFFICE COULDN'T ADMIT THEY GOT NOTHING FOR PEAVY 3 YEARS AGO

Of course old is not automatically bad and young good.  But the difference is that when a younger guy turns the corner at age 26-27 (like one of Colon's old teammates, Josh Donaldson) they can have a 4-5 year run left PLUS the team still has financial control over a younger guy where vets cost money. 

JOSH DONALDSON IS ANOTHER BOGUS COMP.  UNLIKE GARCIA, HE WAS IN THE MINOR SHOWING HE CAN HIT.  NOT STINKING UP THE JOINT FOR 3 YEARS.  AND SPARE ME THE FINANCE LESSON CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

Colon has been over $ 10 mil per the last few years.

Yes, you can argue that Carter costs the same as Garcia this year.   But assuming they both have good years, the difference is that Garcia is still arb eligible and Carter is a free agent who probably will be looking for a big raise and multi-years.

LMAO

LOVE HOW YOU AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME GARCIA AND CARTER HAVE THE SAME CHANCE OF BEING GOOD.  THE TRUTH IS, A GUY LIKE CARTER HAS A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF HITTING 20HR BY ALL STAR BREAK AND MAKING HIMSELF A DECENT TRADING CHIP.  GARCIA HAS DISAPPOINTMENT WRITTEN ALL OVER HIM.  IN FACT, THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN IS FOR HIM TO BE A ONE YEAR WONDER WHICH MEANS 3 MORE YEARS ON THE SOUTH SIDE

TRY FIGURING THAT ONE OUT
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:10 pm

JOSH DONALDSON IS ANOTHER BOGUS COMP.  UNLIKE GARCIA, HE WAS IN THE MINOR SHOWING HE CAN HIT.  NOT STINKING UP THE JOINT FOR 3 YEARS.  AND SPARE ME THE FINANCE LESSON CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
    If "stinking it up in the majors" from ages 23-25 were the criteria for discarding guys then a lot of good players like Donaldson, JD Martinez, BJ Surhoff , Eric Karros , Terry Pendleton , Jose Batista, etc. would have been dumped in the trash can.  Not saying that Garcia will turn out like any of them but if he develops more power, he could be useful.  Chances of that aren't good but they aren't zero either. And this is a year the Sox can afford to play the long odds.

LOVE HOW YOU AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME GARCIA AND CARTER HAVE THE SAME CHANCE OF BEING GOOD.  THE TRUTH IS, A GUY LIKE CARTER HAS A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF HITTING 20HR BY ALL STAR BREAK AND MAKING HIMSELF A DECENT TRADING CHIP.  GARCIA HAS DISAPPOINTMENT WRITTEN ALL OVER HIM.  IN FACT, THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN IS FOR HIM TO BE A ONE YEAR WONDER WHICH MEANS 3 MORE YEARS ON THE SOUTH SIDE
    TRY FIGURING THAT ONE OUT>>

Yes, that's a real puzzler.  Agree that if Garcia like a bolt from the blue hits 27 HR's, bats .280 then it would be ridiculous for the Sox to get all giddy and sign him to a $ 35 mil, 4 year deal.  Hopefully they keep their wits about them and make him prove the change is permanent in 2018.

As to Carter, if he could be such a good trading chip, why didn't the Brewers get jack shit for him in July 2016 with his 22 HRs ?  They were sellers - they got a good prospect for Jon Lucroy midseason. Probably the same reason Carter couldn't find a job until late February.  The demand for .215 hitting power guys with terrible defensive skills is limited.   I think a pretty good guage of his trade value would be what the Sox got for the 17 HR's Adam Dunn put up by midseason 2014.  In other words, a carton of Cheetos and a box of balls.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 pm

LMAO

More bogus comps

Sucking in a 50 AB cup of coffee is not stinking up the joint the last 3 years

You do realize the difference between 50 and 500AB dontcha
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:11 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:LMAO

More bogus comps

Sucking in a 50 AB cup of coffee is not stinking up the joint the last 3 years

You do realize the difference between 50 and 500AB dontcha

Nice try but the shortest major league stints of any of those guys was Donaldson at 350 PA's and Bautista at 600. Everyone else had at least 900 PA's in majors before age 26.   

window.post_1490243232016_5 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }window.post_1490243234189_14 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 am

Nice try my black ass

I doubt any of those guys compare to Garcia

I checked 2 

Kari's suffered a sophomore slump the rebounded

Bautista didn't get good until switching teams

Pendleton was a speed and defense guy who benefitted from the 1997 rabbit ball

Plus I proved you full of beans on Donaldson in another post

The truth is, every time your work gets double checked, your statements and what actually happened turn out to be two different things
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:17 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Nice try my black ass

I doubt any of those guys compare to Garcia

I checked 2 

Kari's suffered a sophomore slump the rebounded

Bautista didn't get good until switching teams

Pendleton was a speed and defense guy who benefitted from the 1997 rabbit ball

Plus I proved you full of beans on Donaldson in another post

The truth is, every time your work gets double checked, your statements and what actually happened turn out to be two different things

You must be a joy when you have to work as a team.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Why, because I expect things done right?

Or are you just jealous that I'm capable of grading Rogers work
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Deplorable MarkWhy, because I expect things done right?

Like spelling and grammar ?  Sorry, the devil made me do it. 
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:29 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable MarkWhy, because I expect things done right?

Like spelling and grammar ?  Sorry, the devil made me do it. 

Yeah. Fuck yeah! I'm getting my red pen and am going to grade your posts like a high school English teacher on meth!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Why, because I expect things done right?

Or are you just jealous that I'm capable of grading Rogers work

Because working as a team means putting your "holier than thou, I know more than you do, I'm always right" attitude aside. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 am