Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Out of Options

    Share
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 am

    According to MLB trade rumors

    White Sox
    Matt DavidsonLeury GarciaDan JenningsRymer LirianoYolmer SanchezMichael Ynoa


    so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this means these guys can't get sent down without going thru waivers.


    If that is the case, then the KARK throws Liriano in RF ans lives with the growing pains.


    As much as I'd love to see Avisail Garica given he boot, it is Matt Davidson and is K per every 2 AB that deserves to go.


    The White Sox need to forget they gave up Addison Reed for this former 1st rounder and remember that he spent 2 years hitting 200 in AAA.


    Here's the full MLB list.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/out-of-options-2017.html
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:06 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:According to MLB trade rumors

    White Sox
    Matt DavidsonLeury GarciaDan JenningsRymer LirianoYolmer SanchezMichael Ynoa


    so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this means these guys can't get sent down without going thru waivers.


    If that is the case, then the KARK throws Liriano in RF ans lives with the growing pains.


    As much as I'd love to see Avisail Garica given he boot, it is Matt Davidson and is K per every 2 AB that deserves to go.


    The White Sox need to forget they gave up Addison Reed for this former 1st rounder and remember that he spent 2 years hitting 200 in AAA.


    Here's the full MLB list.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/out-of-options-2017.html


    With Tilson out, Leury Garcia and Bourjous seem to be the candidates for CF and Leury could be the 4th OFer.  Sanchez is likely the reserve IFer since he can play 2b/SS.   Avi Garcia has been hot this spring and this leaves Liriano in a precarious spot to compete for RF with Avi and /or reserve OFer with Leury. Liriano has come on a bit more as Spring Training has progressed so he will have to keep that up in order to stand a chance to be kept. In theory both Davidson and Asche could be kept as DH's and Davidson could be the backup 3bman.  Asche has had one helluva Spring Training so far and it will be tough to cut him.  
    Agree that Davidson has looked like a bust this Spring - 17 K's in 35 PA's is just ridiculous.  Guys who K that much can't hit more than .220 in the majors. He may pass through waivers if the Sox decide to try to option him back to AAA.  That might be the move to make as I doubt other teams will see him as a good bet to put in their 25 man roster.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm

    Liriano has more talent than Asche or Avisail, or the 12th pitcher for that matter

    I would think it's more realistic that Liriano could get back most of what made him a top 50 prospect than to expect will suddenly start hitting after failing to show any progress the past 3 seasons.

    Common sense would dictate keeping the guy with the highest upside.  That guy is clearly Liriano
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:06 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:Liriano has more talent than Asche or Avisail, or the 12th pitcher for that matter

    I would think it's more realistic that Liriano could get back most of what made him a top 50 prospect than to expect will suddenly start hitting after failing to show any progress the past 3 seasons.

    Common sense would dictate keeping the guy with the highest upside.  That guy is clearly Liriano

    Not necessarily disagreeing that Liriano should be kept but it's hard to figure out the Sox  when it comes to these kind of decisions. Both Avi Garcia and Asche have made strong statements so far this Spring   I personally would cut loose Bourjos, as he's 30 and no more than  a career 4th OFer.  Not a big fan of Leury Garcia either but it's possible the Sox will keep both of them since they're CFers and Tilson is out for a while.  If it were my call, I'd go with 12 pitchers and then following offense guys:
    C- Narvaez and Kevan Smith - screw Soto, he's been awful this spring
    1b- Abreu
    2b- Saladino
    SS- Anderson
    3b- Frazier
    LF- M. Cabrera
    CF- L. Garcia
    RF- A.Garcia - should be DH though
    DH- Asche -
    4th OF - Liriano
    DH/1b - Danny Hayes
    DL- Tilson
    I'd pass Davidson through waivers and send him back to Charlotte.  When Tilson comes back, I'd cut either L. Garcia or Asche.




    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7215
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by alohafri on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 pm

    rmapasad wrote:

    C- Narvaez and Kevan Smith - screw Soto, he's been awful this spring


    5...4...3...2...
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:50 pm

    alohafri wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

    C- Narvaez and Kevan Smith - screw Soto, he's been awful this spring


    5...4...3...2...



    Figures,


    Roger hangs a curve over the heart of the plate.


    Instead of ripping a new one with something hysterically sarcastic


    the KARK suddenly develops a case of wieters block
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:58 pm

    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Liriano has more talent than Asche or Avisail, or the 12th pitcher for that matter

    I would think it's more realistic that Liriano could get back most of what made him a top 50 prospect than to expect will suddenly start hitting after failing to show any progress the past 3 seasons.

    Common sense would dictate keeping the guy with the highest upside.  That guy is clearly Liriano

    Not necessarily disagreeing that Liriano should be kept but it's hard to figure out the Sox  when it comes to these kind of decisions. Both Avi Garcia and Asche have made strong statements so far this Spring   I personally would cut loose Bourjos, as he's 30 and no more than  a career 4th OFer.  Not a big fan of Leury Garcia either but it's possible the Sox will keep both of them since they're CFers and Tilson is out for a while.  If it were my call, I'd go with 12 pitchers and then following offense guys:
    C- Narvaez and Kevan Smith - screw Soto, he's been awful this spring
    1b- Abreu
    2b- Saladino
    SS- Anderson
    3b- Frazier
    LF- M. Cabrera
    CF- L. Garcia
    RF- A.Garcia - should be DH though
    DH- Asche -
    4th OF - Liriano
    DH/1b - Danny Hayes
    DL- Tilson
    I'd pass Davidson through waivers and send him back to Charlotte.  When Tilson comes back, I'd cut either L. Garcia or Asche.






    Danny Hayes?!?!?!?!?!?!!??   so you make a total non prospect with a sub 800 minor league OPS the full time DH because he is 10 for 24 so far this spring?!?!?!?!?

    How far is your head up your abacus?!?!?!?! 

    Luery Garcia over both Bourjos and Jacob May?!?!?!?!?!!??

    BTW, you only have 12 players.   The disabled list is not an active position.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm

    RF- A.Garcia - should be DH though


    *************************


    SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN TENDERED


    STILL GOT 2 WEEKS TO CORRECT THIS MISTAKE
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

    <Danny Hayes?!?!?!?!?!?!!??   so you make a total non prospect with a sub 800 minor league OPS the full time DH because he is 10 for 24 so far this spring?!?!?!?!?
    How far is your head up your abacus?!?!?!?! 
    Luery Garcia over oth Bourjos and Jacob May?!?!?!?!?!!??
    BTW, you only have 12 players.   The disabled list is not an active position.>>

    1. Forgot Sanchez as reserve IFer....  That's the 13th guy
    2. Sox will probably keep Bourjos putting Liriano clearly on the hot seat.  But Bourjos is   
        30 and a career 4th OFer...
    3. Not a Leury Garcia fan but he can play CF and is out of options.  May can be sent back to Charlotte to see if he can hit better than his 662 of last year.  Garcia at least was decent in AAA last year (793) in addition to having a good spring so far.  Hahn likes him and he'll be kept.

    4. Danny Hayes has done more than have a decent spring.  He put up an 847 OPS in AAA last year.  His power seems to have developed better (1/2 his hits last year were for extra bases) and he's always had good plate discipline.   At age 26, he's worth taking a shot on as a backup DH/1bman.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:35 pm

    RF- A.Garcia - should be DH though
    *************************
    SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN TENDERED
    STILL GOT 2 WEEKS TO CORRECT THIS MISTAKE  >>


    I wouldn't be broken up if Garcia gets cut, but the Sox have gone this far with him, they might as well give it one last fling to see if he can finally cut it.   His power has been OK this spring and that's his final salvation if there is any.   If it came down to keeping him v. Liriano, then would rather keep Liriano who has greater defensive/baserunning value and better plate discipline.   If it came down to Garcia v. Asche or Davidson, then no big deal.  Asche is a year older, same useless defense.   Davidson isn't going to hit for the average Garcia will. 

    Roger hangs a curve over the heart of the plate.
    Instead of ripping a new one with something hysterically sarcastic
    the KARK suddenly develops a case of wieters block>>

    [size=13]At age 35, Soto's only purposes were 1- cheapness and 2- warm body to catch balls and throw them back to the pitcher 3- occasionally hit.[/size]
    [size=13]If he utterly fails at # 3, as he's doing now in ST, then the Sox might as well take a shot with 28 year old Smith or for that matter pick up 28 year old Derek Norris off waivers for minimum salary.   Either of those 28 year olds have at least some faint chance of being useful to the 2019-2020 Sox where Soto (or Wieters or any other 31+ year old vet) has ZERO chance of being of future value to the Sox.  [/size]
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:22 pm

    So you waive Liriano, who is younger and better and promote a Hayes, who is not only inferior but does have options left

    That makes zero sense

    BTW, wasn't Liriano at an 890 OPS b4 the injury?????

    If anybody else's here was touting a clown like Hayes, you'd be the first to point out how unlikely it is a 26 year old rookie turns out to be anything worthwhile
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7215
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by alohafri on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:15 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

    C- Narvaez and Kevan Smith - screw Soto, he's been awful this spring


    5...4...3...2...



    Figures,


    Roger hangs a curve over the heart of the plate.


    Instead of ripping a new one with something hysterically sarcastic


    the KARK suddenly develops a case of wieters block

    I'm impressed, and in the words of Jesse "The Body" Ventura, I don't impress easy. Great line.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 am

    If it came down to keeping him v. Liriano, then would rather keep Liriano who has greater defensive/baserunning value and better plate discipline.


    *******************************************


    Not to mention tremendous upside!!!!!!!


    Career 882 OPS in AAA.


    Meaning that in the open auditions of has beens and never will be's, Liriano is probably the only one with a chance of having an 800+ OPS during his prime years.


    BTW, what happened to the great Danny Hayes last year?!?!?!!?


    Stopped playing as of 6/18.  Obviously some kind of injury.  so that 847 OPS is misleading due to it being compiled in only 184AB.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 pm

    So you waive Liriano, who is younger and better and promote a Hayes, who is not only inferior but does have options left That makes zero sense
    BTW, wasn't Liriano at an 890 OPS b4 the injury?????
    If anybody else's here was touting a clown like Hayes, you'd be the first to point out how unlikely it is a 26 year old rookie turns out to be anything worthwhile >>>


    Does this sound like I wanted to waive Lirniano ? " If it came down to keeping him (Garcia) v. Liriano, then would rather keep Liriano who has greater defensive/baserunning value and better plate discipline." Please.
    If it came down to keeping Liriano v. sending Hayes down, then by all means keep Liriano as Hayes still has a AAA option left. In fact, it probably makes more sense for Hayes to play everyday in AAA than try to scrounge DH ab's.
    Yes, the evidence for Hayes is pretty limited. His spring has been pretty decent bouncing back from injuries and in his 220 PA's in AAA last year he managed to up his power output to the 25 HR rate (per 550 PA's). Combined with his good career walk rate, it's possible he could become a .255/.360/.465 guy in the majors.
    What the hell - this is a year where some wishful thinking about guys like Hayes or Liriano or Tilson or even Avi Garcia does no big harm since the Sox might as well give them all a shot.. Unlike years past, where wishful thinking about Abreu, Cabrera, LaRoche, Frazier, Garcia, Shields, Lawrie, Latos, etc, led the Sox to mistakenly believe that those guys would help them win something.






    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:24 pm

    Still sounds like wishful thinking to me

    Difference is, your fantasies where never ever good nor will they ever will be

    So enjoy fantasizing about Hayes and Garcia and I'll spank it to Wieters and Fister.   We'll see who is still around come 2020
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by rmapasad on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:46 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:Still sounds like wishful thinking to me

    Difference is, your fantasies where never ever good nor will they ever will be

    So enjoy fantasizing about Hayes and Garcia and I'll spank it to Wieters and Fister.   We'll see who is still around come 2020

    Not fantasizing much about the current cast of Sox characters.  Sox are throwing a lot of shit up against the wall this year and hoping by law of averages some will stick. They're gambling that guys who haven't been that good during the traditional pre-prime years will be good enough during their prime (ages 26-30) to be of some value when the Sox are competitive again.   Unlike the gambles of 2015-2016 in bringing post-prime guys like LaRoche, Cabrera, Shields, etc. hoping they won't decline even though the evidence is overwhelming that guys decline after 30. 

    In that regard, were this another win-now year, your boy Wieters would have been the perfect candidate to fuck the Sox over just like he's going fuck the Nationals. On average guys expend 85% of their total value by age 32.  At age 31, Wieters' tank doesn't have much left.


    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1049
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:20 am

    WIN TEAM WIN!!!
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Cream1953 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 pm

    The White Sox are actually going to field a team this year? Who knew? Once I saw the name Leury Garcia being touted as a potential starter, it became clear to me that I have more important things to do than watch this ongoing clown act. Watching corn grow comes to mind. Cubs defending world champions...White Sox have to look up to see bottom.

    See ya!
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 pm

    Hurray back Creamer

    This board is six months away from being nothing but an ongoing argument between Roger & I and where to place the decimal point.

    If it makes you feel better, just consider the 2017 White Sox to be the baseball version of Frigid Pink

    So put one foot on the platform
    The other one on the train
    Get your ass back to Comiskey
    And wear that ball and chain


    XOXOXO
    The Kark
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7215
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by alohafri on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:59 pm

    Cream1953 wrote:The White Sox are actually going to field a team this year? Who knew? Once I saw the name Leury Garcia being touted as a potential starter, it became clear to me that I have more important things to do than watch this ongoing clown act. Watching corn grow comes to mind. Cubs defending world champions...White Sox have to look up to see bottom.

    See ya!

    It's a rebuild. I'm glad we aren't going to be seeing dopes like LaRoche and Dunn. Leury Garcia will be around for one year.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm

    Rebuilding with one year rentals

    What a concept

    Can't wait for Geo Soto to be named team captain
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7215
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by alohafri on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:49 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:Rebuilding with one year rentals

    What a concept

    Can't wait for Geo Soto to be named team captain

    I guess you haven't been paying attention to the fact that our minor league system is now ranked #3 in the league. Until they are ready to come up, one year rentals is what it will be for maybe two years.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by rmapasad on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 pm

    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Rebuilding with one year rentals

    What a concept

    Can't wait for Geo Soto to be named team captain

    I guess you haven't been paying attention to the fact that our minor league system is now ranked #3 in the league. Until they are ready to come up, one year rentals is what it will be for maybe two years.

    Exactly. Which is what a rebuild is all about.  It's going to be a couple years of never-wases but might-bes until the should-bes come up and make this team a competitor.  That beats the last few years of has-beens pretending to contend.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am

    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Rebuilding with one year rentals

    What a concept

    Can't wait for Geo Soto to be named team captain

    I guess you haven't been paying attention to the fact that our minor league system is now ranked #3 in the league. Until they are ready to come up, one year rentals is what it will be for maybe two years.


    LMAO!!!!!!


    HOW MANY YEARS DID I PROPOSE RENTING WIETER OR FISTER?!?!?!?!?!


    2016 NL HR CHAMP CHRIS CARTER SIGNED A 1 YEAR CONTRACT FOR JUST 3.5MM!!!!!!  AND HE JUST TURN 30 THIS CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!


    BUT SINCE YOU ARE NOW IN TUNED WITH THE WHITE SOX MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEM, TELL ME WHEN DANNY HAYES WAS EVER CONSIDERED A TOP PROSPECT?!?!?!?!?


    THIS IS THE CLOWN YOUR TEACHER PET ROGER WANTS TO JUST HAND THE DH JOB TO


    HYSTERICAL!!!!!!


    WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GUY THAT SAID IF THEY PLAY BIRMINGHAM LEVEL PLAYERS, THEY SHOULD CHARGE BIRMINGHAM LEVEL PRICES


    NOW, YOU DAY DREAM ABOUT AVISAIL GARCIA BECOMING A STAR JUST SO YOU CAN DELIBERATELY DISAGREE WITH THE KARK
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2008
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 am

    rmapasad wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Rebuilding with one year rentals

    What a concept

    Can't wait for Geo Soto to be named team captain

    I guess you haven't been paying attention to the fact that our minor league system is now ranked #3 in the league. Until they are ready to come up, one year rentals is what it will be for maybe two years.

    Exactly. Which is what a rebuild is all about.  It's going to be a couple years of never-wases but might-bes until the should-bes come up and make this team a competitor.  That beats the last few years of has-beens pretending to contend.


    LMAO!!!!!


    ITS SO MUCH BETTER TO PRETEND DANNY HAYES IS A REAL PROSPECT!!!!!!


    LAST YEAR, WHEN THE SOX FARM SUCKED, THIS CLOWN COULDN'T CRACK THE TOP 30!!!!!!


    NOW, YOUR PHONY STATS CLAIM HE SHOULD BE THE DH!!!!!!


    AND LET'S PRETEND AVISAIL HAS A 1 IN 5 CHANCE OF BECOMING JOSE GUILLEN


    OOPS, I FORGOT, ONCE YOU MADE SOME MUCH NEEDED CORRECTION TO THAT FLAWED STUDY, IT BECAME ONE IN TEN.  CAN'T IMAGINE HOW MUCH MORE IT WILL DROP WHEN YOU EXPAND THE SAMPLE TO INCLUDE 3 YEARS OF BEING A STIFF.  THEN YOU'LL HAVE A SAMPLE REPRESENTATIVE OF YOUR HERO AVISAIL.


    PRETEND TO REBUILD!!!!!!!


    ONLY PLAYERS TRADED WHERE IN THE DRAKE LAROUCHE FACTION OF NAMBLA!!!!!


    YOUR OPEN AUDTION OF QUAD A CRAP IS FOOLING NOBODY EXCEPT YOU AND THAT TEACHER!!!!!


    EVEN CREAM IS MOVING ON!!!!!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Out of Options

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 pm