Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Lawrie Released!!

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Lawrie Released!!

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:14 am

Cream1953 wrote:Glad to see Lawrie go. Fuck him. He can take his sorry ass and werewolf mouthpiece on down the road. He sucked.

Kinda see where the Sox are coming from on this one.  They're giving a bunch of 25-27 year old disappointments like Lawrie a chance to redeem their careers this year.  They should be eager for that chance . Lawrie misses 2 months last year with some mysterious injuries no MRI can confirm. Then declares himself ready this year.   But then out of the blue surprises his Manager by saying he can't start the first week of ST due to his leg.

He's not Jason Kipnis who can miss the first week of Spring Training for some twinges he's feeling.  He's eminently replaceable Brett Fucking Lawrie. Maybe the Sox were sending a message to the other young guys with this cut -  better get your ass in gear if you want to make the most of this chance you're being given.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:Here's what it comes down to:  1b, 3b, DH, LF, CF, RF are all up in the air for the Sox's 2020 team.

I sure the 29 other MLB teams are in the same boat

I agree "most" MLB teams may have 6 spots they will be scrambling to fill over the next three years.  But not "all".  Remember I counted guys like Collins and Moncada as "set" positions for the Sox in 2020.
    Other clubs have studs in the minors who should be ready to step in too.  When you count those kind of guys plus their current  23-27 year old major leaguers teams like Cubs, Astros, Rangers, Red Sox only have 3-4 spots that are up in the air for 2020.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:59 am

< HOPEFULLY THESE JUMP CAN START THE YEAR IN HIGH A BALL.
    IF IT TAKES A YEAR A LEVEL, YOUR TALKING 26 YEAR OLD ROOKIES IN 2020.
    THAT'S OLD FOR A ROOKIE.  AND THE OLDER THE ROOKIE, THE LOWER THE CEILING  >>

Agree, these rookie ball phenoms of last year need a test in high A to see where they really are.  2017 is a numbers game both with minor and major leaguers.  The more possibilities Sox have then law of averages says a few will become useful. It's probably true that the best hopes for Sox's 2020-2021 teams will be starting this season in the minors and not the majors. 
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:*********************************
    Unless we're talking Wieters, then 2017 is a who gives a rats ass year.
    Boy do I wish I could just jump ahead 3 1/2 years to see how many of these stiffs are even still in baeball, let alone outperforming Matt Wieters

So you want to jump ahead 3 years to determine where Wieters will be then ?  Does the name Adam LaRoche ring a bell ?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:55 am

I miss LaRoche. Standing at the plate he looked like a red-headed Abe Lincoln with a large stick in his hand. He hit like him too
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:18 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Boy do I wish I could just jump ahead 3 1/2 years to see how many of these stiffs are even still in baeball, let alone outperforming Matt Wieters

So you want to jump ahead 3 years to determine where Wieters will be then ?  Does the name Adam LaRoche ring a bell ?

NOPE, BUT YOUR HERO AVISAIL DEFINITELY RINGS A KEVIN BELL
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:42 pm

rmapasad wrote:< HOPEFULLY THESE JUMP CAN START THE YEAR IN HIGH A BALL.

Agree, these rookie ball phenoms of last year need a test in high A to see where they really are.  2017 is a numbers game both with minor and major leaguers.  The more possibilities Sox have then law of averages says a few will become useful. It's probably true that the best hopes for Sox's 2020-2021 teams will be starting this season in the minors and not the majors. 

I'd say AA and below (at least hitting wise)

with the exception of Moncada who will most likely be up by all-Star break

BTW, WTF is he doing at 3B??!??!?!?!?

They need to just stick at 2B and leave him there.  Let one of the non prospects cover for Frazier.

BTW, define useful?!?!?!?!

How about a 1/3 of the lineup in the top 3 of their position.  The middle 1/3 in the remaining top half (4 - Cool.  Nobody in the bottom 1/3 in their position (11 - 15).  I'd allow one exception to that last sentence if the player is a rookie.

To avoid premature aging, a team should try to start one rookie hitter a year

And this is why the KARK mocks your open audition concept.  Given the offensive nature of the positions, they might evolve into something that looks useful.  But then you realize there is a heck of a lot more useful players out their

To put in in terms Cream would understand, Christina Ricci circa Buffalo 66 would look damn hot sitting at a bar stool at the Chubby Trout.  But bring that to the Hefner Playboy Mansion, she'd thrown out the door oinking
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:< HOPEFULLY THESE JUMP CAN START THE YEAR IN HIGH A BALL.

I'd say AA and below (at least hitting wise)
    with the exception of Moncada who will most likely be up by all-Star break
    BTW, WTF is he doing at 3B??!??!?!?!?

They need to just stick at 2B and leave him there.  Let one of the non prospects cover for Frazier.
    BTW, define useful?!?!?!?!
    How about a 1/3 of the lineup in the top 3 of their position.  The middle 1/3 in the remaining top half (4 - Cool.  Nobody in the bottom 1/3 in their position (11 - 15).  I'd allow one exception to that last sentence if the player is a rookie.
    To avoid premature aging, a team should try to start one rookie hitter a year
    And this is why the KARK mocks your open audition concept.  Given the offensive nature of the positions, they might evolve into something that looks useful.  But then you realize there is a heck of a lot more useful players out their
    To put in in terms Cream would understand, Christina Ricci circa Buffalo 66 would look damn hot sitting at a bar stool at the Chubby Trout.  But bring that to the Hefner Playboy Mansion, she'd thrown out the door oinking

Agree contenders need to build around studs, not just useful players. I define a "stud" as someone who puts up 3 WAR or more. Teams who reached LCS last year (Indians, Jays, Cubs, Dodgers) had an average of 7 such guys (pitchers and hitters) The "average" team had only three or four and Sox only had three (Eaton, Sale, Quintana).
    But teams also need "useful" guys (1-3 WAR). Playoff teams had 9 such guys. They're important because you want a semi-decent guy at 2 WAR instead of below replacement sieve like Austin Jackson or Latos. Sox's problem in 2015-2016 stemmed from guys playing below their expected grade levels. Instead of being studs or near-studs, Abreu, Frazier, Robertson and Cabrera were just useful or semi-useful. Instead of being useful, guys like LaRoche, Shields, Latos, Lawrie, Rollins, etc. were sieves.

Based on last year, both Anderson and Rodon were "useful" (2-3 WAR) guys who might be able to graduate to stud status. That still leaves 5 more studs to go, and if Moncada, Gioloto and Kapech or Lopez get to that level by 2020, then it's down to two more. Hopefully the Quintana trade snags one of them, and Sox can get at least one in free agency. That still leaves the matter of having 9 "useful" guys. Maybe a few of this menagerie today can fill that bill or certainly some of the guys in the minors can get there by 2020. That will avoid the parade of Rollins, Jacksons, LaRoches, Latos' that fans have had to witness these last few years.

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

NOPE, BUT YOUR HERO AVISAIL DEFINITELY RINGS A KEVIN BELL

Hey, hey, hey. Avisail went 3-4 today with a HR. Not that this means anything for the long haul, but so far he's doing what he needs to stay afloat where Davidson and Engel are drowning. Unfortunately Liriano seems to be getting short shrift in playing time even though he's putting up a 1.100 OPS so far.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Now that I think of it, does Liriano have any service time?!?!?

Maybe he needs to start in Charlotte under the 7 is greater than 6 theory

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 am