Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Share
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1723
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 pm

    In an interview with MLB.com’s Scott MerkinWhite Sox GM Rick Hahn again stated that there’s “no economic pressure” and “no timing pressure” to trade left-hander Jose Quintana“It’s more about making sure if we were to make a major move, that we are getting an appropriate return,” Hahn continued. While the Sox have had numerous trade discussions centering on Quintana this winter, Hahn noted that there’s yet to be an offer presented to the team that made the front office think, “Boy we better move now or we are going to be kicking ourselves.” The South Side GM also once again touched on a few significant trades that fell through at the eleventh hour, noting that the “frustration lingers a little longer than the satisfaction of getting a deal done.”






    HOW ABOUT AUSTIN MEADOWS AND KE'BRYAN HAYES FROM THE PIRATES?!?!?!?
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Nomads44 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am

    That would be a very nice haul.  But do YOU think the Pirates would do it.  I wish they would, but I am very doubtful.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Nomads44 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 am

    To move Frazier and his approx $10M, would you consider LH power hitting 1B Matt Adams (around $2.5M) and 2B Kolten Wong (signed into the future, but under control for a few more years - I think his current salary is $3 something.)

    Cardinals seem to have mishandled each of these.  Adams appears a bust, but has gotten serious over the winter and lost a BUNCH of weight and got himself in shape.  A horrid first several AB this spring, though.   I am still high on Wong and if he can live up to his potential, a nice still young piece.  To move salary and lose some payroll, it seems doable.  Each MIGHT flourish with a new environment.

    Neither fits with the search for prospects only, but neither of these is old at all, neither is expensive.  Frazier MIGHT bring prospects, but apparently not much a market for him yet.  Cards probably cannot open with Adams if they want to shoot for a playoff spot.  Carpenter could move to 1B and Frazier could take over 3B for Carpenter.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7135
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 am

    Nomads44 wrote:That would be a very nice haul.  But do YOU think the Pirates would do it.  I wish they would, but I am very doubtful.

    Kark knows they will. He has studied the graphs and has come up with arguments to refute Roger's made up statistics and my Rob, Jr. responses. He knows that somehow not only will the Sox get these two from the Pirates, but that this will be a three-way trade with the Sox also getting Matt Wieters and Jayson Werth from the Nationals.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7135
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:07 am

    Nomads44 wrote:To move Frazier and his approx $10M, would you consider LH power hitting 1B Matt Adams (around $2.5M) and 2B Kolten Wong (signed into the future, but under control for a few more years - I think his current salary is $3 something.)

    Cardinals seem to have mishandled each of these.  Adams appears a bust, but has gotten serious over the winter and lost a BUNCH of weight and got himself in shape.  A horrid first several AB this spring, though.   I am still high on Wong and if he can live up to his potential, a nice still young piece.  To move salary and lose some payroll, it seems doable.  Each MIGHT flourish with a new environment.

    Neither fits with the search for prospects only, but neither of these is old at all, neither is expensive.  Frazier MIGHT bring prospects, but apparently not much a market for him yet.  Cards probably cannot open with Adams if they want to shoot for a playoff spot.  Carpenter could move to 1B and Frazier could take over 3B for Carpenter.

    I've liked these two guys since seeing them play in the Quad Cities. I don't consider them "busts" but don't think they will be superstars, but could be the role players that every team needs.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1723
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:01 am

    alohafri wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:That would be a very nice haul.  But do YOU think the Pirates would do it.  I wish they would, but I am very doubtful.

    Kark knows they will. He has studied the graphs and has come up with arguments to refute Roger's made up statistics and my Rob, Jr. responses. He knows that somehow not only will the Sox get these two from the Pirates, but that this will be a three-way trade with the Sox also getting Matt Wieters and Jayson Werth from the Nationals.



    My research shows this will happen on March 17th.  So it will be nice to have something worthwhile to celebrate that day
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7135
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:04 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:That would be a very nice haul.  But do YOU think the Pirates would do it.  I wish they would, but I am very doubtful.

    Kark knows they will. He has studied the graphs and has come up with arguments to refute Roger's made up statistics and my Rob, Jr. responses. He knows that somehow not only will the Sox get these two from the Pirates, but that this will be a three-way trade with the Sox also getting Matt Wieters and Jayson Werth from the Nationals.



    My research shows this will happen on March 17th.  So it will be nice to have something worthwhile to celebrate that day

    Just to purposely disagree with you, it will happen on the 19th, St. Joseph's Day.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1723
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:05 am

    Nomads44 wrote:That would be a very nice haul.  But do YOU think the Pirates would do it.  I wish they would, but I am very doubtful.


    Have no idea.


    But if Sale is worth four top prospects, it seems reasonable Quintana would be worth two


    The bottom line is that Quintana needs to be converted into some blue chip offense.


    Just hope Hahn doesn't over play his hand.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1723
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 am

    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:That would be a very nice haul.  But do YOU think the Pirates would do it.  I wish they would, but I am very doubtful.

    Kark knows they will. He has studied the graphs and has come up with arguments to refute Roger's made up statistics and my Rob, Jr. responses. He knows that somehow not only will the Sox get these two from the Pirates, but that this will be a three-way trade with the Sox also getting Matt Wieters and Jayson Werth from the Nationals.



    My research shows this will happen on March 17th.  So it will be nice to have something worthwhile to celebrate that day

    Just to purposely disagree with you, it will happen on the 19th, St. Joseph's Day.


    The dago is nowhere near as obnoxious as the mic
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1723
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:16 am

    Nomads44 wrote:To move Frazier and his approx $10M, would you consider LH power hitting 1B Matt Adams (around $2.5M) and 2B Kolten Wong (signed into the future, but under control for a few more years - I think his current salary is $3 something.)

    Cardinals seem to have mishandled each of these.  Adams appears a bust, but has gotten serious over the winter and lost a BUNCH of weight and got himself in shape.  A horrid first several AB this spring, though.   I am still high on Wong and if he can live up to his potential, a nice still young piece.  To move salary and lose some payroll, it seems doable.  Each MIGHT flourish with a new environment.

    Neither fits with the search for prospects only, but neither of these is old at all, neither is expensive.  Frazier MIGHT bring prospects, but apparently not much a market for him yet.  Cards probably cannot open with Adams if they want to shoot for a playoff spot.  Carpenter could move to 1B and Frazier could take over 3B for Carpenter.


    Adams fits.  Although he might eventually be squeezed out by Collins and Fischer.  But that's probably 3 years away and alot could happen.


    Wong doesn't.  I leave Moncada at 2B.  Hopefully the kid is up by All-Star break.  Right now, Moncada is the key to the rebuilding project.


    I just hope Frazier stays healthy enough to have a trade market
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1723
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 am

    Latest rumor is that Hahn is trying to get the Yanks to overpay with 4 top prospects

    If anybody could do that it's the Yanks
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Nomads44 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:23 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:Latest rumor is that Hahn is trying to get the Yanks to overpay with 4 top prospects

    If anybody could do that it's the Yanks

    Nice except for the part that the Yanks have named five of their top dozen or so that are not available, but they still do have enough to make a nice package. The question is, do you take what they have to offer, or make them loosen up some of their riches.

    Being greedy to refuse?, or being stupid to let them off the hook with less than their best?  For Frazier or Robertson, one or two of what is available would work.  For Quintana, I think the Sox need to hold out for at least ONE of their top guys.  I could see it coming to a standoff where Hahn waits to see if the Yanks are forced to act.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1723
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 am

    Nomads44 wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Latest rumor is that Hahn is trying to get the Yanks to overpay with 4 top prospects

    If anybody could do that it's the Yanks

    Nice except for the part that the Yanks have named five of their top dozen or so that are not available, but they still do have enough to make a nice package. The question is, do you take what they have to offer, or make them loosen up some of their riches.

    Being greedy to refuse?, or being stupid to let them off the hook with less than their best?  For Frazier or Robertson, one or two of what is available would work.  For Quintana, I think the Sox need to hold out for at least ONE of their top guys.  I could see it coming to a standoff where Hahn waits to see if the Yanks are forced to act.


    Jim,


    the one thing I noticed is that baseball execs seem to evaluate talent differently than your typical fan.


    Perfect example, Jeff Samardzjija traded twice for boatloads of propsects but Todd Frazier was acquired for a steal.


    While I'm sure the informed fan could do a decent job matching talent for talent, I bet the payroll portion is completely unknown to the fan.


    As Quintana goes, I think he needs to be converted into offense.  At least one blue chip OF that can be inserted into the lineup by mid season (damn service time)


    Moncada and the Quintana equivalent of Moncada are what is going to lead the White Sox lineup of the future.  So Hahn needs to wait if Quintana's Moncada doesn't develop.


    *******


    I wonder what the Pirates GM reaction would be to Quintana for Meadows and Hayes?




    XOXOXOXOXO
    THE KARK

    Sponsored content

    Re: HAHN ON QUINTANA

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:40 am