Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Bring back Gordon!

    Share
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:Players like Michael Taylor show no direction

    And your idea to sabotage the season under the guise of a youth movements sends and even worse message

    The real world does not conform to your abstract little theories on how things should be.  Sometimes you have to respond in a practical manner to the reality the situation.  Wieters sends the perfect message that the White Sox are paying attention and always looking for ways to improve

    What you are suggesting is putting the cart b4 the horse because you refuse to accept other possibilities exist beyond your myopic assumptions

    Looking for ways to improve? A one year flyer on a catcher that no one wants. Yeah, that's the direction fans want to go. That's exactly the reason why people hate Kenny Williams.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by rmapasad on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 pm

    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:Players like Michael Taylor show no direction

    And your idea to sabotage the season under the guise of a youth movements sends and even worse message

    The real world does not conform to your abstract little theories on how things should be.  Sometimes you have to respond in a practical manner to the reality the situation.  Wieters sends the perfect message that the White Sox are paying attention and always looking for ways to improve

    What you are suggesting is putting the cart b4 the horse because you refuse to accept other possibilities exist beyond your myopic assumptions

    Looking for ways to improve? A one year flyer on a catcher that no one wants. Yeah, that's the direction fans want to go. That's exactly the


    "Paying attention" should mean doing some trades that bring in more young players.  Or carefully studying the draft class of 2017 and 2018. The "improvements" fans want, as you reflect Kevin, are to see that things are headed in the right direction.  Not repeating the same old practices of hauling in declining vets as bandaids for a weak spot (LARoche, Jackson, Latos, Rollins, Shields).  At least in the past the goal of "win-now" made that bandaid strategy somewhat justifiable despite its ineffectiveness. Now Sox fans want this patient to be cured and they know it won't happen in 2017 or even 2018.   They do know, however, that bandaids are no cure.  
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 am

    More false choices

    First you claim Robertson and company suck too much to bring in real talent 

    Then you claim we should be trading for all these kids, who upon further research struggle with a 300 on base

    Isn't that the same practice that gave the SOX a barren farm in the first place

    Nobody wants a Jared Mitchell either
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:11 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:More false choices

    First you claim Robertson and company suck too much to bring in real talent 

    Then you claim we should be trading for all these kids, who upon further research struggle with a 300 on base

    Isn't that the same practice that gave the SOX a barren farm in the first place

    Nobody wants a Jared Mitchell either

    Sometimes you need to trade to bring in players to fill in the minor league system. Sometimes those "filler" players find it and can contribute to the major league club.


    And no, the Sox traded kids to bring in overrated and underperforming veterans who didn't have it anymore in hopes they could contend. I'll take my chances on a 23 year old over a 34 year old any day of the week.


    And these are not "false choices". You just happen to disagree with them.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 am

    That's exactly it Roger. The fan base has woken up to the fact that "win-now" is "win-never". The fan base overall is going to be patient for a couple of years to watch the kids develop. I have heard from quite a few who have said that they don't even want to see any of the players we got for Sale and Eaton with the big club until September of 2017...if that early.


    If Kark wants a good cheap catcher, maybe the Sox can sign Johnny Bench. I bet that Blue Emu stuff he is hawking has taken years off of his arm. He can probably throw out more runners than Matt Wieters.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:50 am

    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:More false choices

    First you claim Robertson and company suck too much to bring in real talent 

    Then you claim we should be trading for all these kids, who upon further research struggle with a 300 on base

    Isn't that the same practice that gave the SOX a barren farm in the first place

    Nobody wants a Jared Mitchell either

    Sometimes you need to trade to bring in players to fill in the minor league system. Sometimes those "filler" players find it and can contribute to the major league club.


    And no, the Sox traded kids to bring in overrated and underperforming veterans who didn't have it anymore in hopes they could contend. I'll take my chances on a 23 year old over a 34 year old any day of the week.


    And these are not "false choices". You just happen to disagree with them.


    I ASSUME YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ROBERTSON

    SO YOU WANT TO TRADE A QUALITY CLOSER FOR MINOR LEAGUE FILLER.

    AND YES IT IS A FALSE CHOICE BECAUSE YOU ARE ONLY USING YOUTH AS A VARIABLE.  YOU ARE ALSO FALSELY ASSUMING THERE IS NOT GREAT DIFFERENCE IN TALENT.

    IN THIS CASE, ROBERTSON, A CAREER QUALITY CLOSER COMING OFF  WHAT CAN BE CONSIDERED ONE OF HIS LESSER YEARS, FOR SOME KID THAT HAS SHOWN ZERO ABILITY TO HIT
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:00 am

    alohafri wrote:That's exactly it Roger. The fan base has woken up to the fact that "win-now" is "win-never". The fan base overall is going to be patient for a couple of years to watch the kids develop. I have heard from quite a few who have said that they don't even want to see any of the players we got for Sale and Eaton with the big club until September of 2017...if that early.


    If Kark wants a good cheap catcher, maybe the Sox can sign Johnny Bench. I bet that Blue Emu stuff he is hawking has taken years off of his arm. He can probably throw out more runners than Matt Wieters.


    HILLARIOUS

    FROM WHERE I AM SITTING, THE TWO OF YOU ARE SOUNDLY ASLEEP WHEN IT COMES TO THE SPECIFICS OF THE SITUATION

    JUST 3 WEEKS OF BLABBER ABOUT ABSTRACT THEORY, FALSE CHOICES, AND PRETENDING THAT THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES TO YOUR ASSUMPTIONS

    BUT WHAT REALLY GETS ME PIG BITING MAD IS THE SOCALLED STAT GURU WHO ALL OF A HAPPEN IS SAYING TO HELL WITH MINOR LEAGUE STATS, BECAUSE YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.

    WELL, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW IF WIETERS DOESN'T REVIVE HIS CAREER LIKE FISK AND AJ DID WHEN JOINING THE WHITE SOX AT AGES 33 AND 28 RESPECTIVELY.  BOTH PAST THE MYTHICAL AGE 27 PEAK YEAR.

    THIS NOTION THAT THE WHITE SO SHOULD JUST THROW OUT 9 AVISAIL GARCIA EQUIVALENTS TO SEE WHAT STICKS AND CALL THAT REBUILDING IS THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD.  THAT IS A ORG ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.  REAL REBUILDING MEANS TARGETING SPECIFIC YOUNG PLAYERS LIKE THE CUBS DID WITH ANTHONY RIZZO.  YOUR BRINGING IN PLAYERS THAT HAVE SHOWN ABILITY.  NOT EVERY 23 YEAR OLD HAS A 1 IN 4 CHANCE

    MAYBE YOU TWO SHOULD WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT WITH TODAY'S STATS, THERE ARE WAYS OF IMPROVING YOUR ODDS.  SO THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO THROW AWAY QUALITY PLAYERS ON WILD GAMBLES
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:More false choices

    First you claim Robertson and company suck too much to bring in real talent 

    Then you claim we should be trading for all these kids, who upon further research struggle with a 300 on base

    Isn't that the same practice that gave the SOX a barren farm in the first place

    Nobody wants a Jared Mitchell either

    Sometimes you need to trade to bring in players to fill in the minor league system. Sometimes those "filler" players find it and can contribute to the major league club.


    And no, the Sox traded kids to bring in overrated and underperforming veterans who didn't have it anymore in hopes they could contend. I'll take my chances on a 23 year old over a 34 year old any day of the week.


    And these are not "false choices". You just happen to disagree with them.


    I ASSUME YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ROBERTSON

    SO YOU WANT TO TRADE A QUALITY CLOSER FOR MINOR LEAGUE FILLER.

    AND YES IT IS A FALSE CHOICE BECAUSE YOU ARE ONLY USING YOUTH AS A VARIABLE.  YOU ARE ALSO FALSELY ASSUMING THERE IS NOT GREAT DIFFERENCE IN TALENT.

    IN THIS CASE, ROBERTSON, A CAREER QUALITY CLOSER COMING OFF  WHAT CAN BE CONSIDERED ONE OF HIS LESSER YEARS, FOR SOME KID THAT HAS SHOWN ZERO ABILITY TO HIT

    A quality closer whose ERA has gone up ever since he took over the job from Mariano Rivera.


    And I'm not talking about anyone specific to trade for. But again, I ask, if Robertson is such a quality closer, why, once the Sox made it known that he is available, aren't teams throwing themselves at Rick Hahn?
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 am

    The fan base has woken up to the fact that "win-now" is "win-never". 
    **************************************

    THEN WHY DID THE WHITE SOX SIGN HOLLAND AND SOTO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

    WHY HAVEN'T THE WHITE SOX JUST GIVEN AWAY ROBERTSON AND FRAZIER AND CABRERA?!?!?!?

    I'M SURE SOMEBODY WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP A MICAH JOHNSON AND/OR AVISAIL GARCIA TYPE FOR THEM

    WHITE SOX AREN'T THE ONLY ORG WITH CRAPPY PLAYERS FILLING UP THEIR AAA ROSTERS
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:That's exactly it Roger. The fan base has woken up to the fact that "win-now" is "win-never". The fan base overall is going to be patient for a couple of years to watch the kids develop. I have heard from quite a few who have said that they don't even want to see any of the players we got for Sale and Eaton with the big club until September of 2017...if that early.


    If Kark wants a good cheap catcher, maybe the Sox can sign Johnny Bench. I bet that Blue Emu stuff he is hawking has taken years off of his arm. He can probably throw out more runners than Matt Wieters.


    HILLARIOUS

    FROM WHERE I AM SITTING, THE TWO OF YOU ARE SOUNDLY ASLEEP WHEN IT COMES TO THE SPECIFICS OF THE SITUATION

    JUST 3 WEEKS OF BLABBER ABOUT ABSTRACT THEORY, FALSE CHOICES, AND PRETENDING THAT THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES TO YOUR ASSUMPTIONS

    BUT WHAT REALLY GETS ME PIG BITING MAD IS THE SOCALLED STAT GURU WHO ALL OF A HAPPEN IS SAYING TO HELL WITH MINOR LEAGUE STATS, BECAUSE YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.

    WELL, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW IF WIETERS DOESN'T REVIVE HIS CAREER LIKE FISK AND AJ DID WHEN JOINING THE WHITE SOX AT AGES 33 AND 28 RESPECTIVELY.  BOTH PAST THE MYTHICAL AGE 27 PEAK YEAR.

    THIS NOTION THAT THE WHITE SO SHOULD JUST THROW OUT 9 AVISAIL GARCIA EQUIVALENTS TO SEE WHAT STICKS AND CALL THAT REBUILDING IS THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD.  THAT IS A ORG ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.  REAL REBUILDING MEANS TARGETING SPECIFIC YOUNG PLAYERS LIKE THE CUBS DID WITH ANTHONY RIZZO.  YOUR BRINGING IN PLAYERS THAT HAVE SHOWN ABILITY.  NOT EVERY 23 YEAR OLD HAS A 1 IN 4 CHANCE

    MAYBE YOU TWO SHOULD WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT WITH TODAY'S STATS, THERE ARE WAYS OF IMPROVING YOUR ODDS.  SO THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO THROW AWAY QUALITY PLAYERS ON WILD GAMBLES

    You have one foot firmly planted in "win now" and you can't let that go. You seem to forget that in order to revive the WWE, Vince McMahon needed to kill it first. He would have been more successful if the NWO didn't have a median age of 45.


    Win now is dead! No one over 30! 
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:13 am

    And I'm not talking about anyone specific to trade for. But again, I ask, if Robertson is such a quality closer, why, once the Sox made it known that he is available, aren't teams throwing themselves at Rick Hahn?


    ***************************


    MAYBE HAHN IS PULLING A SCOTT BORAS AND COMPLETELY OVERVALUED THE WORTH OF ROBERTSON


    PLAY LACK OF TRADE DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN LACK OF INTEREST
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am

    I have heard from quite a few who have said that they don't even want to see any of the players we got for Sale and Eaton with the big club until September of 2017...if that early.


    *****************


    THEN WHO THE HELL PLAYS THIS YEAR?!?!?!?!?!?


    MORE PEOPLE NOT THINKING THE PROCESS ALL THE WAY THRU


    YET ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR SICK ELEPHANTS
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:59 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:And I'm not talking about anyone specific to trade for. But again, I ask, if Robertson is such a quality closer, why, once the Sox made it known that he is available, aren't teams throwing themselves at Rick Hahn?


    ***************************


    MAYBE HAHN IS PULLING A SCOTT BORAS AND COMPLETELY OVERVALUED THE WORTH OF ROBERTSON


    PLAY LACK OF TRADE DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN LACK OF INTEREST

    Speaking of Scott Boras, who is Wieters' agent? Oh yes, Scott Boras.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:00 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:I have heard from quite a few who have said that they don't even want to see any of the players we got for Sale and Eaton with the big club until September of 2017...if that early.


    *****************


    THEN WHO THE HELL PLAYS THIS YEAR?!?!?!?!?!?


    MORE PEOPLE NOT THINKING THE PROCESS ALL THE WAY THRU


    YET ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR SICK ELEPHANTS

    Why do you care who plays this year? You go to one or two games a year. (mic drop)
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:01 am

    Deplorable Mark wrote:And I'm not talking about anyone specific to trade for. But again, I ask, if Robertson is such a quality closer, why, once the Sox made it known that he is available, aren't teams throwing themselves at Rick Hahn?
    ***************************

    As to Nats and Robertson. They'd like a more established Closer than their guy Kelley, but Robertson's 2016 + $ 25 mil still owed him + Sox's demand for good prospects = Nats will stick with Kelley..  So Sox either:  1- Eat a big hunk of DR's salary + take a lesser prospect now  2 - Hold DR until midseason, hope he's better this year and hope some team loses their Closer. Even then, Sox ain't gonna get the next Rizzo for him.  I would argue that # 1 is the way to go.  DR still holds some (if limited) appeal.  Sox should take what they can get right now rather than risk Robertson gets hurt or sucks and that way they can showcase Nate Jones as Closer and get something for him at midseason.  Which might be a lot more since Jones is a lot cheaper.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:06 am

    alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:I have heard from quite a few who have said that they don't even want to see any of the players we got for Sale and Eaton with the big club until September of 2017...if that early.


    *****************


    THEN WHO THE HELL PLAYS THIS YEAR?!?!?!?!?!?


    MORE PEOPLE NOT THINKING THE PROCESS ALL THE WAY THRU


    YET ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR SICK ELEPHANTS

    Why do you care who plays this year? You go to one or two games a year. (mic drop)



    I LOVE THEM FROM A FAR
    I love you
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:09 am

    rmapasad wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:And I'm not talking about anyone specific to trade for. But again, I ask, if Robertson is such a quality closer, why, once the Sox made it known that he is available, aren't teams throwing themselves at Rick Hahn?
    ***************************

    As to Nats and Robertson. They'd like a more established Closer than their guy Kelley, but Robertson's 2016 + $ 25 mil still owed him + Sox's demand for good prospects = Nats will stick with Kelley..  So Sox either:  1- Eat a big hunk of DR's salary + take a lesser prospect now  2 - Hold DR until midseason, hope he's better this year and hope some team loses their Closer. Even then, Sox ain't gonna get the next Rizzo for him.  I would argue that # 1 is the way to go.  DR still holds some (if limited) appeal.  Sox should take what they can get right now rather than risk Robertson gets hurt or sucks and that way they can showcase Nate Jones as Closer and get something for him at midseason.  Which might be a lot more since Jones is a lot cheaper


    THEN YOU BETTER SIGN WIETERS SO JONES HAS SOME GAMES TO SAVE


    PS, JONES IS 31.  I'D BE THROWING OUT FEELERS NOW
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:17 am

    alohafri wrote:

    Why do you care who plays this year? You go to one or two games a year. (mic drop)

    Exactly.  Ironically from what Sox fans I've read who do attend the games it appears they're fully prepared to see Sox get their asses handed to them this year.   Because they've seen that same thing for last 4 years when Sox were supposed to be contenders.  At least now there's no pretense what this team will be in 2017.    
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:10 pm

    rmapasad wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

    Why do you care who plays this year? You go to one or two games a year. (mic drop)

    Exactly.  Ironically from what Sox fans I've read who do attend the games it appears they're fully prepared to see Sox get their asses handed to them this year.   Because they've seen that same thing for last 4 years when Sox were supposed to be contenders.  At least now there's no pretense what this team will be in 2017.    

    As a season ticket holder, I have Uber lined up to take me home after these bad games because I know the future looks bright.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:13 pm

    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    BUT WHAT REALLY GETS ME PIG BITING MAD IS THE SOCALLED STAT GURU WHO ALL OF A HAPPEN IS SAYING TO HELL WITH MINOR LEAGUE STATS, BECAUSE YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.
    WELL, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW IF WIETERS DOESN'T REVIVE HIS CAREER LIKE FISK AND AJ DID WHEN JOINING THE WHITE SOX AT AGES 33 AND 28 RESPECTIVELY.  BOTH PAST THE MYTHICAL AGE 27 PEAK YEAR.
    THIS NOTION THAT THE WHITE SO SHOULD JUST THROW OUT 9 AVISAIL GARCIA EQUIVALENTS TO SEE WHAT STICKS AND CALL THAT REBUILDING IS THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD.  THAT IS A ORG ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.  REAL REBUILDING MEANS TARGETING SPECIFIC YOUNG PLAYERS LIKE THE CUBS DID WITH ANTHONY RIZZO.  YOUR BRINGING IN PLAYERS THAT HAVE SHOWN ABILITY.  NOT EVERY 23 YEAR OLD HAS A 1 IN 4 CHANCE
    MAYBE YOU TWO SHOULD WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT WITH TODAY'S STATS, THERE ARE WAYS OF IMPROVING YOUR ODDS.  SO THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO THROW AWAY QUALITY PLAYERS ON WILD GAMBLES

    1..  Only ways the Sox get the next Rizzo are trade Quintana or by the draft.  Trade Quintana now before bad things happen to him.  Plus, punt 2017 - don't play some watered-down version of win-now by holding current vets too long or acquiring new ones.  Get the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick in 2018 draft instead of the 10th.  Big difference in odds of getting a stud, as first few picks are usually no-brainers.  With Sox's track record of scouting young hitters, no-brainers are important.

    2- Minor league stats can say consistent failure, or mixtures of success and failure.  I don't want guys with consistent failures - Sox have too many of them already. That leaves the mixed message guys - Tilson, Liriano, Garcia, etc. Reality is that's kind of player the Sox will get for Robertson, Frazier, etc.   Michael Taylor, for example, had a 939 OPS in AA, but has struggled with whiffs in majors.  Mixed messages. Maybe he pulls it together, maybe not.   

    3 - Studies show the "average" player after turning 30 keeps only slightly more than half the value he had in his 20's.  In Wieters' case, the speed of the ball off his bat (exit velocity) went down last year.  GM's are looking at things like that now.  Not saying Wieters can't have a spike season or two left him.  But what good does that do the Sox in 2017 except maybe give him some midseason trade value ?  He'd have to do almost the impossible and hit 15-18 HR's and bat .300 first half in order to get a prospect better than the typical "mixed message" types that you heap so much scorn on.  
    Of course, knowing Kenny if Wieters had a great 1st half, he'd sign him to a three year extension and end up with the next LaRoche by 2019.
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:03 am

    What good does a 650 OPS from Geo Soto do

    HILLARIOUS how you claim GM's are looking at this and that but you fail to see the obvious

    Wieters replaces Soto but still gives plenty of AB to Narvaez and it's not going to screw up the draft,

    And since the Sox are suppose to suck, what difference does it make if Narvaez bats 350 times or 500.  Save his knees for the future with extra rest

    Plus the White Sox will need the extra wins to maintain the trade value of Quintana and Robertson and Frazier and Cabrera

    Contrary to your claims, a losing team hurts trade value, even if it is at the subconscience level.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by rmapasad on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:49 pm

    Plus the White Sox will need the extra wins to maintain the trade value of Quintana and Robertson and Frazier and Cabrera  >>


    Where is the proof that wins affect trade value of pitchers or hitters ?   There is none, but it doesn't even make logical sense.  Contenders know these vets play on losing teams, that's why they're being made available for trades. 

    Cubs traded Samardzija who had a 2-7 record in midseason 2014 and got top prospect Addison Russell in return.  The A's were focused on his 2.83 ERA not his W-L record.   As to Closers, losing teams still create Save opportunities.  It's how well Robertson or Jones cashes in on those chances that will count. 
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 68
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Nomads44 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:23 pm

    alohafri wrote:
    As a season ticket holder, I have Uber lined up to take me home after these bad games because I know the future looks bright.


    You've nicknamed Peg Über now?  Don't forget the umlaut!

    Peg Über Alles.

    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by alohafri on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:27 pm

    Nomads44 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    As a season ticket holder, I have Uber lined up to take me home after these bad games because I know the future looks bright.


    You've nicknamed Peg Über now?  Don't forget the umlaut!

    Peg Über Alles.


    Laughing Razz Laughing Razz
    avatar
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1513
    Join date : 2016-09-16

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Deplorable Mark on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:27 pm

    rmapasad wrote:Plus the White Sox will need the extra wins to maintain the trade value of Quintana and Robertson and Frazier and Cabrera  >>


    Where is the proof that wins affect trade value of pitchers or hitters ?   There is none, but it doesn't even make logical sense.

    It makes all the sense in the world.  More prove you just love to disagree with everything I say


    Contenders know these vets play on losing teams, that's why they're being made available for trades. 

    Cubs traded Samardzija who had a 2-7 record in midseason 2014 and got top prospect Addison Russell in return.  The A's were focused on his 2.83 ERA not his W-L record.   As to Closers, losing teams still create Save opportunities.  It's how well Robertson or Jones cashes in on those chances that will count. 

    Never said it made them untradeable.  Try comprehending what I am telling you instead of looking for ways to deliberately disagree with me.

    plus nobody here is hoping Q and R are on the Opening Day roster.  Try following the topic in its entirety


    Here's the proof.

    Take two pitchers both with an ERA of 3.00 and identical whatever other sabr mumbo jumbo you claim is important,

    One has a 8-2 record, the other is 3-7.  Everybody and their brother will claim 8-2 is better.  no one will claim worse


    Here's more proof.

    Since you love the Cubs so much, just look at how long it Ron Santo to make the Hall.  Bill James laid out the Santo case in the mid 80's.  25 years later he is finally in.  Everybody knows that playing for those loser Cubs hurt his cause.  Put Santo in Yankee Stadium or Fenway and he's in while alive via the regular voting process

    Want one more, try Tony Clifton, the old 3B from the Browns.

    Bottom line, associate with losers, you'll be considered a loser

    Sponsored content

    Re: Bring back Gordon!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 pm