Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

FINDING THE NEXT FISK

Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

FINDING THE NEXT FISK

Post by Deplorable Mark on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:24 pm

HERE ARE THE CURRENT CATCHER ON THE ROSTER

40  MAN ROSTER:

Catchers

[th]#[/th][th] [/th][th]Name[/th][th]B/T[/th][th]Ht[/th][th]Wt[/th][th]DOB[/th]
    Alfredo GonzalezR/R6'1"225lbs7/13/92
    38Omar NarvaezL/R5'11"215lbs2/10/92
    61Kevan SmithR/R6'4"230lbs6/28/88

THROW IN NON ROSTER INVITEE

Roberto PenaR/R6'0"225lbs6/8/92

ACCORDING TO ROGER AND HIS PROCLAMATION OF 1 IN 4

ONE OF THESE CATCHER SHOULD CHALLENGE CARLTON FISK AS THE GREATEST IN WHITE SOX HISTORY

WHAT WAS THE KARK THINKING WHEN HE SUGGESTED MATT WIETERS

THE POSITION IS CLEARLY GOING TO BE A STRENGTH FOR YEARS TO COME
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: FINDING THE NEXT FISK

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:07 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:HERE ARE THE CURRENT CATCHER ON THE ROSTER

40  MAN ROSTER:

Catchers

[th]#[/th][th] [/th][th]Name[/th][th]B/T[/th][th]Ht[/th][th]Wt[/th][th]DOB[/th]
    Alfredo GonzalezR/R6'1"225lbs7/13/92
    38Omar NarvaezL/R5'11"215lbs2/10/92
    61Kevan SmithR/R6'4"230lbs6/28/88

THROW IN NON ROSTER INVITEE

Roberto PenaR/R6'0"225lbs6/8/92

ACCORDING TO ROGER AND HIS PROCLAMATION OF 1 IN 4

ONE OF THESE CATCHER SHOULD CHALLENGE CARLTON FISK AS THE GREATEST IN WHITE SOX HISTORY

WHAT WAS THE KARK THINKING WHEN HE SUGGESTED MATT WIETERS

THE POSITION IS CLEARLY GOING TO BE A STRENGTH FOR YEARS TO COME

Wow! That's quite a reach going from a younger catcher to fill in for a couple of years until the heir-apparent Zach Collins is ready to claiming one of these guys is the next Carlton Fisk. 
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:29 am

THE KARK ain't the one that invented 1 in 4

Plus Wieter is three years younger than Geo Soto who is projected to make the team

Again, some people on this board need to try to understand my point instead of looking for ways to automatically disagree with it
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:35 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:THE KARK ain't the one that invented 1 in 4

Plus Wieter is three years younger than Geo Soto who is projected to make the team

Again, some people on this board need to try to understand my point instead of looking for ways to automatically disagree with it

I'm sorry. We will all work better on agreeing with you. We will fall into line. No opposing opinions allowed on the Nomadsfest board.

WIN NOW!
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:57 am

I'm sorry. We will all work better on agreeing with you. We will fall into line. No opposing opinions allowed on the Nomadsfest board.

WIN NOW!

SPARE ME

Its one thing to have an opposing opinion.  Its quite another to deliberately disagree with abstract bullshit supported by invented statistics.

Now if you of the opinions that the White Sox have 2 catchers in camp that are better than Wieters, we can intelligently discuss the pros and cons of all 3.

As of yet, nobody has identified those two.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:I'm sorry. We will all work better on agreeing with you. We will fall into line. No opposing opinions allowed on the Nomadsfest board.

WIN NOW!

SPARE ME

Its one thing to have an opposing opinion.  Its quite another to deliberately disagree with abstract bullshit supported by invented statistics.

Now if you of the opinions that the White Sox have 2 catchers in camp that are better than Wieters, we can intelligently discuss the pros and cons of all 3.

Does it really matter if Soto or Navarez or Smith or Wieters is behind the plate? It seems to me that it is like asking Jack Dawson if he wants a steak or a hamburger after the Titanic hit the iceberg.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:18 pm

JUST EYEBALLED THE FOUR CATCHERS THAT SUPPOSEDLY ALL OF CHICAGO IS SCREAMING TO GIVE A CHANCE.

NONE OF THEM CAN HIT!!!!!

PENA AND GONZALEZ PROBABLY CAN'T HIT ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY A BACKUP ROLE.

MAYBE THIS IS WHY ROGER NEVER WROTE THE STAT LADEN TERM PAPER.  YOU DON'T NEED TO BE BILL JAMES TO REALIZE HOW LAUGHABLE THESE STAT LINES ARE.

THE BEST OFFENSIVE THREAT APPEARS TO BE NARVAEZ.  BUT THAT IS WALK DRIVEN.  THOSE WALKS CAN DISAPPEAR IN A HURRY IF PITCHERS DISCOVER THERE IS NO NEED TO NIBBLE WITH THIS GUY
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:21 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:I'm sorry. We will all work better on agreeing with you. We will fall into line. No opposing opinions allowed on the Nomadsfest board.

WIN NOW!

SPARE ME

Does it really matter if Soto or Navarez or Smith or Wieters is behind the plate? It seems to me that it is like asking Jack Dawson if he wants a steak or a hamburger after the Titanic hit the iceberg.

YOUR APATHY IS NOT AN ARGUMENT
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:JUST EYEBALLED THE FOUR CATCHERS THAT SUPPOSEDLY ALL OF CHICAGO IS SCREAMING TO GIVE A CHANCE.

MAYBE THIS IS WHY ROGER NEVER WROTE THE STAT LADEN TERM PAPER.  YOU DON'T NEED TO BE BILL JAMES TO REALIZE HOW LAUGHABLE THESE STAT LINES ARE.

THE BEST OFFENSIVE THREAT APPEARS TO BE NARVAEZ.  BUT THAT IS WALK DRIVEN.  THOSE WALKS CAN DISAPPEAR IN A HURRY IF PITCHERS DISCOVER THERE IS NO NEED TO NIBBLE WITH THIS GUY

Who is playing right field? There is already a .220 hitter at third base. The rotation is anchored by a guy who has had a pretty inconsistent year and a half in the majors and another guy whose ERA is gaining on the national debt. The third starter may not even be here by spring training. We have a journeyman playing second base. A designated hitter who can't hit. Possibly a guy coming off of knee surgery playing centerfield. What is the purpose of signing Matt Wieters? 
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

WIN NOW!

SPARE ME

If I was apathetic, I wouldn't be arguing about your inane idea of taking a flyer on a catcher that is not needed.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:37 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:JUST EYEBALLED THE FOUR CATCHERS THAT SUPPOSEDLY ALL OF CHICAGO IS SCREAMING TO GIVE A CHANCE.

Who is playing right field? There is already a .220 hitter at third base. The rotation is anchored by a guy who has had a pretty inconsistent year and a half in the majors and another guy whose ERA is gaining on the national debt. The third starter may not even be here by spring training. We have a journeyman playing second base. A designated hitter who can't hit. Possibly a guy coming off of knee surgery playing centerfield. What is the purpose of signing Matt Wieters? 

SOME KID IN YOUR CLASS HAS GOTTEN STRAIGHT D'S ALL SEMESTER.  WHAT'S THE POINT OF STUDYING FOR THE FINAL
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:55 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

WIN NOW!

SPARE ME

If I was apathetic, I wouldn't be arguing about your inane idea of taking a flyer on a catcher that is not needed.

WHAT IS INANE ABOUT IT?!?!?!?

OF THE SIX CATCHER IN CAMP, I SUSPECT ONLY ZACH COLLINS HAS A FUTURE VALUE WORTH A DAMN.  BUT HE CLEARLY NEEDS OVER A YEAR OF MINOR LEAGUE SEASONING

NARVAEZ MIGHT HAVE FUTURE VALUE AS A BACK UP.  AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF AT BATS TO GO BETWEEN HIM AND WIETERS.

THE ONLY PLAYER WITH ANY MAJOR LEAGUE ABILITY THAT IS HURT BY THIS IS GEO SOTO.  A 34 YEAR CATCHER THAT HAS CLEARLY DEMONSTRATED HE IS NOTHING BUT A BACK UP AT THIS POINT.

WHAT IS INANE IS TO THINK SOTO IS A BETTER PLAYER THAN WIETERS

WHAT IS INANE IS TO THINK ITS OK TO STOP TRYING JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T THINK IT WILL BE ENOUGH

WHAT IS INANE IS TO COMPLETELY IGNORE AN ALL STAR TALENT JUST WAITING TO BE HAD FOR NOTHING.

WHAT IS INANE IS TO USE REBUILDING AS AN EXCUSE FOR LOSING AND MAKING OBVIOUS IMPROVEMENTS TO THE TEAM

WHAT IS INANE IS ALL THE CUB WORSHIP EVERYBODY, EXCEPT THE KARK, IS INTO.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:

I haven't brought up the damned Cubs once.  Rolling Eyes
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 am

<<WHAT IS INANE IS ALL THE CUB WORSHIP EVERYBODY, EXCEPT THE KARK, IS INTO.>>
    Put aside your Cub animosity for the moment. They were in the same position 5 years ago that the Sox are now  and executed a strategy that got them to the NLCS in 3 years and world champs in 4. That strategy has some lessons to it.

Put it this way.  I certainly wasn't happy about Trump winning, but realize that he ran an unconventional campaign that won. Like it or not, there are strategic lessons from that which I respect.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:12 am

alohafri wrote:
    Deplorable Mark wrote:

I haven't brought up the damned Cubs once.  Rolling Eyes

I SAID IT JUST TO PISS YOU OFF MR WEED ROUNDUP
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:44 am

rmapasad wrote:<<WHAT IS INANE IS ALL THE CUB WORSHIP EVERYBODY, EXCEPT THE KARK, IS INTO.>>
    Put aside your Cub animosity for the moment. They were in the same position 5 years ago that the Sox are now  and executed a strategy that got them to the NLCS in 3 years and world champs in 4. That strategy has some lessons to it.

Put it this way.  I certainly wasn't happy about Trump winning, but realize that he ran an unconventional campaign that won. Like it or not, there are strategic lessons from that which I respect.

Put it this way

Rebuilding is about maximizing future value.  One of the best ways to maximize future value is to decrease present value.  More specifically, trading players who's overall value is weighted more towards the present for players who's overall value is weighted more in the future.

Now in case case specifically, while Wieters overall values seems to be weighted more towards the present, he does have future value.  Of the six catchers in camp, none have a higher present value than Wieters.  Four have neglible, if not outright zero, future value in my opinion.  Of the two remaining, one has zero present value and needs to spend all of 2017 if not all of 2018 as well in the minors.  That leaves one catcher.  And there is plenty of playing opportunity for both him and Wieters.

So in terms of wins and losses, I see Wieters as a win win in both future and present value.

That leaves the cost and draft pick opportunity

Cost is a tough discussion.  On one hand, Wieters would cost up to $8mil in what is clearly a losing season.  On the other hand, how much revenue is lost if the White Sox field a team that is deliberately trying to lose as you suggested.  I would call this a wash, but then its really just a guess.  Truthfully, I don't know one way or the other

Then their is the draft.  The snide remark that the White Sox would screw up the overall #1 pick does not negate that a higher pick does add to future value.  But than, wasn't Frank Thomas a #7?  I can't quantify it, but it appears obvious rebuilding does not mean maximizing losses.

so in conclusion, Wieters gives the White Sox a better player now.  and possibly at better player for the future.  the impact on profit and losses is probably immaterial.  the draft is still a crapshoot.  If nobody signs him this weekend, I say its a no brainer to send Boras a one year $6mil offer with an option.  And if Boras turns it down, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

PS, I apologize for not posting in this manner sooner.  Its a credit to your character that you resist sinking down to the gutter.  I only reason I would not want you at Nomadsfest if fear for my physical safety

geek

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 pm