Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Farewell My Lovely

s0ch0a
    Kenny's Draft Choice

Farewell My Lovely

Post by s0ch0a on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:16 am

The woman pictured with me holding the World Series trophy, my lovely wife of 31 years, Teri, passed away on August 30.

She was not a baseball fan when we started dating, but after we were married she did accompany me to a few Sox games in Comiskey Park. She liked to tell people that she never remembered me watching a baseball game while we were dating - that may be true!

Like any loving spouse, she came to enjoy one of her husband's favorite past times, and I'm not sure it was even done grudgingly. I think she came to know the game and appreciate it. She even learned to keep score at the games, scratching in those strange symbols and numbers while I scampered to the concession stands.

She wound up coming to at least 3-4 Sox games a year with me. As her sensitivity to the weather grew, we found refuge in the Stadium Club. Not my preferred place to watch a game, but for her company it was worth it.

Teri suffered through my joy and anxiety of the 2005 season. She went through enough that year that she deserved to hold the trophy! She accompanied me to the Sox-Angels playoff game that included A.J.'s dropped third strike and Crede's game-winning hit. I'm glad we shared that memory, it was a great night.

In later years, my best friend's son, Marc Rzepczynski, began pitching in minor league ball and Teri actually went on the computer when he was starting to listen to Lansing Lugnut and Las Vegas games. She was thrilled when he was brought up to the Blue Jays and followed Gameday on her phone for many Toronto, St. Louis, Cleveland, San Diego, Oakland and finally Washington Nationals games to see if he'd come in out of the bullpen. We attended any game we could when his teams played at the Cell or at Wrigley and she even came with me to St Louis Opening Day of the 2012 season to witness him getting his World Series ring.

This year, we went to two games together in May and June. Teri actually lasted through all 9 innings at both games, something which didn't always happen. I attended a game in June and didn't return to the Cell until the final game of the season, which I attended with my two brothers and their 3 grade-school aged sons. As lousy a season as this was for the Sox, it will always be special to me because it's the last year Teri and I were able to attend a game together.

I could, of course, say a million more things about her, but this is a baseball board so I'll keep on topic. Thanks to those of you who made it to the end of this post. There's a line in Deacon Blues, "I cried when I wrote this song.." and yeah, I'm welling up right now, too. Thanks again for letting me share.

Re: Farewell My Lovely

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:23 am

My condolences to you and your family. I can only give you the hope that the pain you are feeling now is short-lived and soon the wonderful memories of 30 yrs fills your head instead.  Take care of yourself most of all at this time. Don't be a stranger to the board, and feel free to reminisce here anytime you wish.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:23 am

Geez, Steve.  Deepest condolences to you.  She was a nice lady and I enjoyed the few times we met and all spent time together.  Best to you during these very trying times.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Steve, Peg and I are so sorry for your loss. You will be in our prayers.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:13 pm

My very sincere condolences to you. My thoughts are with you.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:15 pm

We have never met, but I recall seeing your posts.
    I wish to  express my deepest sympathy to you. I don't think I can imagine that type of loss as I have also been fortunate to be with my wife for a very long time.
    As Chi kid said, I hope your thoughts return to the good memories you have-as you so eloquently posted.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:40 pm

So sorry to hear this.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:55 am

Very nicely written tribute, Steve.  Very touching.  I pray you find peace.
    joepoe
    Joe Borchard's Teammate

Post by joepoe on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:31 am

Steve, sincere condolences to you and your family. 

Laura saw the picture and says she remembers meeting Teri one year. So very sad.

Joe, Laura and girls.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:11 am

Steve, may her memory be eternal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm