Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Rodon

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Rodon

Post by alohafri on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:52 am

He has been pretty impressive the second half of this season. Of course, he wasn't bad the second half of last season either. The Cleveland radio guys were raving about his 97 mile an hour fastball in the 7th inning yesterday. 

He was probably brought up too soon (this team bringing up rookies too soon in an attempt to WIN NOW?). I'm still hoping he can be a good #3 for a few years. Of course, he will be thrown into the #1 position if the Sox trade Sale and Quintana.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Re: Rodon

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 am

WIN NOW-RELOAD 2017!!

A-ROD available!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:21 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:WIN NOW-RELOAD 2017!!

A-ROD available!!

I think the Alomars are hoping to get back into the game.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 am

alohafri wrote:He has been pretty impressive the second half of this season. Of course, he wasn't bad the second half of last season either. The Cleveland radio guys were raving about his 97 mile an hour fastball in the 7th inning yesterday. 

He was probably brought up too soon (this team bringing up rookies too soon in an attempt to WIN NOW?). I'm still hoping he can be a good #3 for a few years. Of course, he will be thrown into the #1 position if the Sox trade Sale and Quintana.

I wonder if Rodon was just feeling a little better than usual.  I've not seen him very often in the 97 range.  Lots of 94-96, which gets hit hard when the hitter is looking for it.

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:04 pm

If the Sox pick a pitcher in the first round again next year, they can suck Tijuana donkey dick. Hopefully someone there notices their positional players are below average. 
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:33 am

Chi-kid wrote:If the Sox pick a pitcher in the first round again next year, they can suck Tijuana donkey dick. Hopefully someone there notices their positional players are below average. 

You mean other than this board?!?!?!?!?

And where is Mart to confirm my statement that the White Sox have zero MLB caliber hitters in AA or AAA.

And its not just the lack of All-Star caliber.  Its the lack of guys that could hit 270 on a regular basis and be a black hole in the line up

On a side note, some jack ass in the Sun Times said the Sox should trade Sale for young pitching because its easier to build a lineup via free agency.  I wonder if this clown has been watching this team for the past 10 years.  If it were so damn easy to buy a lineup, then you keep Sale because he is exactly the type of pitcher you will need when you are contending.

The only reason to trade Sale now is that he is a bottle of Dom Perignon in a White Castle restaurant

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:08 am

Deplorable Mark wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:If the Sox pick a pitcher in the first round again next year, they can suck Tijuana donkey dick. Hopefully someone there notices their positional players are below average. 

You mean other than this board?!?!?!?!?

And where is Mart to confirm my statement that the White Sox have zero MLB caliber hitters in AA or AAA.

And its not just the lack of All-Star caliber.  Its the lack of guys that could hit 270 on a regular basis and be a black hole in the line up

On a side note, some jack ass in the Sun Times said the Sox should trade Sale for young pitching because its easier to build a lineup via free agency.  I wonder if this clown has been watching this team for the past 10 years.  If it were so damn easy to buy a lineup, then you keep Sale because he is exactly the type of pitcher you will need when you are contending.

The only reason to trade Sale now is that he is a bottle of Dom Perignon in a White Castle restaurant

I would love to see the numbers from 1st 3 rounds in draft as to what % of position players make it compared to pitchers. (I think that would demonstrate that his opinion is bullshit
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 am

Frank,

I assume you mean the reporter and not your truly  Wink

BTW, regardless of the percentage, the White Sox problem is that when they do draft a position player he is usually a multi sport athlete with poor strike zone judgement.

Let's not forget that Frank Thomas was also a star football player at Auburn
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:21 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    I would love to see the numbers from 1st 3 rounds in draft as to what % of position players make it compared to pitchers. (I think that would demonstrate that his opinion is bullshit

Position players make it at a greater rate than pitchers.  Don't have the exact %'s for that , but do have this fact - over the past five years, playoff teams have had nearly 50% of their offensive WAR contributed by position players they drafted and only 30% of their pitching WAR contributed by pitchers they drafted.

This isn't to say teams shouldn't ever draft pitchers, but rather that it is much easier to buy pitchers on the open market than it is position players.   The fact that the Sox have this backwards (draft pitchers,  buy position players) may well be one big reason they fail so consistently.

Position players display whether they are able to make it or not at a relatively early point in their careers, and smart teams hold onto the ones who show that promise.  Teams more readily give up on pitchers because they get hurt a lot and it often takes several years for pitchers to learn how to deal with big league hitters.  Smart clubs can often scoop up pitchers (Arrieta, Hendricks like Cubs did) for a song when they haven't fully bloomed yet.  Rarely can such bargains be had for position players.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Deplorable Mark wrote:BTW, regardless of the percentage, the White Sox problem is that when they do draft a position player he is usually a multi sport athlete with poor strike zone judgement.

Yep.  This mentality overlaps into how they view younger position players already in their system
    They keep clinging to this physical specimen Avi Garcia for four seasons despite all evidence showing he's a piss poor defensive OFer and underpowered, undisciplined  RFer/DH  ( 12 measly HR's which is pathetic for those positions).  Meanwhile they trade away a decent fielding, power hitting  (27 HR's this year) middle infielder in Marcus Semien for one year of Jeff Samardzija.
    Deplorable Mark
    Roof Shot

Post by Deplorable Mark on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:54 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

Position players make it at a greater rate than pitchers.  Don't have the exact %'s for that , but do have this fact - over the past five years, playoff teams have had nearly 50% of their offensive WAR contributed by position players they drafted and only 30% of their pitching WAR contributed by pitchers they drafted.

This isn't to say teams shouldn't ever draft pitchers, but rather that it is much easier to buy pitchers on the open market than it is position players.   The fact that the Sox have this backwards (draft pitchers,  buy position players) may well be one big reason they fail so consistently.

Position players display whether they are able to make it or not at a relatively early point in their careers, and smart teams hold onto the ones who show that promise.  Teams more readily give up on pitchers because they get hurt a lot and it often takes several years for pitchers to learn how to deal with big league hitters.  Smart clubs can often scoop up pitchers (Arrieta, Hendricks like Cubs did) for a song when they haven't fully bloomed yet.  Rarely can such bargains be had for position players.

100% CORRECT!!!!

AND LET ME ADD THIS.

THERE ARE NO HITTING EQUIVALENTS FOR JOSE QUINTANA.  PRIOR TO 2016, QUINTANA WAS THE WORLD'S GREATEST 9 GAME WINNER DUE IN LARGE PART TOT HE LINEUP SUCKING.  YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN A HITTER BAT 250 BECAUSE THE STARTING ROTATION STRUGGLES TO MAKE IT THRU 6 INNINGS.

LET ME ALSO ADD, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A HITTER NEEDED ARM SURGERY BECAUSE HE TOOK TO MANY AT BATS.  YOU WOULD NEVER PUT A SWING LIMIT ON A BATTER.  NOR WOULD YOU SHUTDOWN A YOUNG HITTER BECAUSE YOU FELT HE PLAYED ENOUGH THIS YEAR.

FINALLY, I'D LOVE TO SEE A CLUB WITH THE BALLS TO GO OLD SCHOOL FOR 3 YEARS WITH A PITCHING STAFF.  TODAY, IF THESE PUSSIES LOSE A MILE AN HOUR OFF THEIR FASTBALL, THEY GET PUSHED BACK A DAY.  AND GOD FORBID THEY THROW OVER 100 PITCHES.  YOU'D THINK THEY WOULD TURN INTO A PUMPKIN THEY WAY THIS NONSENSE IS ENFORCED.

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A STUDY SHOWING ANYTHING SPECIAL OR DETRIMENTAL ABOUT PITCH 100

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:04 am