Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Abreu again

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Abreu again

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:55 pm

Is everybody continuing to enjoy this STIFF's absolutely meaningless home run binge weeks after the season was shot to hell? What about Rodon's recent great pitching after he totally SUCKED when the team needed him most? Of course the announcers are saying he's finally figured it out? Interesting since last year they were saying the EXACT same thing last August as the same scenario transpired with this guy.  

Here's my beef and why this shit pisses me off so much. Look, I like winning as much as anyone. But I think these late season "surges" once the season has been totally trashed tend to be nothing more than fools gold. I think it's easy for people, both fans and management, to get overly impressed with great stats that transpire in August/September when the race is already over. I think it gives false hope for the next year, particularly with management, that maybe these players aren't so bad after all and the team can afford to stand pat and roll the dice one more year on these losers...especially when it can be done on the cheap.

Fuck that.

As I see things playing out now, there's only three guys I hang onto for next year. I keep Eaton and Anderson at the top of the order and in the field. I also give Morneau a year at DH. The guy is past his prime yes but it seems he still has something left in the tank and he's a proven pro. Hell, he's already impressed me more than 5 years of Oaf and LaRoche.

Everything else is on the table including Sale and Quintana considering what you might be able to get in return.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Re: Abreu again

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Is everybody continuing to enjoy this STIFF's absolutely meaningless home run binge weeks after the season was shot to hell? What about Rodon's recent great pitching after he totally SUCKED when the team needed him most? Of course the announcers are saying he's finally figured it out? Interesting since last year they were saying the EXACT same thing last August as the same scenario transpired with this guy.  

Here's my beef and why this shit pisses me off so much. Look, I like winning as much as anyone. But I think these late season "surges" once the season has been totally trashed tend to be nothing more than fools gold. I think it's easy for people, both fans and management, to get overly impressed with great stats that transpire in August/September when the race is already over. I think it gives false hope for the next year, particularly with management, that maybe these players aren't so bad after all and the team can afford to stand pat and roll the dice one more year on these losers...especially when it can be done on the cheap.

Fuck that.

As I see things playing out now, there's only three guys I hang onto for next year. I keep Eaton and Anderson at the top of the order and in the field. I also give Morneau a year at DH. The guy is past his prime yes but it seems he still has something left in the tank and he's a proven pro. Hell, he's already impressed me more than 5 years of Oaf and LaRoche.

Everything else is on the table including Sale and Quintana considering what you might be able to get in return.

I disagree about Sale & Quintana. You have them under contract for several ore years. Sale is a generational pitcher and if you get aa team together in the next few years, you need people like Quintana and especially Sale.
    PLUS- I don't want Sale traded at anytime where Kenny has ANYTHING to say about who you trade for
    We'd probably end up with the starting backfield and two wide receivers from Southern Cal!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:15 pm

I agree with you on Abreu. People have said that when he saw his kid before the season started, it messed him up. To me, that says "head case". The Sox should have explored the possibility of shipping him to Texas once Fielder went down. Texas may not have taken him, but would it have been worth it to at least ask?

I disagree with you on Rodon. I don't think he's going to be the stud #1 or #2 guy that some were saying, but for a back of the rotation, I think he will be okay. His ERA is only 4.00. For an American League back of the rotation guy, that isn't too bad. While it isn't to the extreme of Quintana, he is also somewhat of a victim of the inept offense.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:16 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:

I disagree about Sale & Quintana. You have them under contract for several ore years. Sale is a generational pitcher and if you get aa team together in the next few years, you need people like Quintana and especially Sale.
    PLUS- I don't want Sale traded at anytime where Kenny has ANYTHING to say about who you trade for
    We'd probably end up with the starting backfield and two wide receivers from Southern Cal!!

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:11 pm

I get what you're saying Frank. Don't get me wrong, my heart says keep Sale and Quintana but then my head says get the very best you can for them because otherwise they're going to die on the vine pitching for a franchise that's going nowhere fast. I think Sale's behavior this year might very well be that of someone fed up with this dog and pony show. Of course you're right, the pivotal character in all this is that fucking Kenny Williams but, let's face it, doesn't look like he's going anywhere so what other options have you? If he stays it'll business as usual...same old shit different day. If he leaves then, yeah, I want Sale and Quintana on the team. Don't hold your breath.

At least if you deal those two pitchers you'll be doing them a favor.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I get what you're saying Frank. Don't get me wrong, my heart says keep Sale and Quintana but then my head says get the very best you can for them because otherwise they're going to die on the vine pitching for a franchise that's going nowhere fast. I think Sale's behavior this year might very well be that of someone fed up with this dog and pony show. Of course you're right, the pivotal character in all this is that fucking Kenny Williams but, let's face it, doesn't look like he's going anywhere so what other options have you? If he stays it'll business as usual...same old shit different day. If he leaves then, yeah, I want Sale and Quintana on the team. Don't hold your breath.

At least if you deal those two pitchers you'll be doing them a favor.

Kenny will trade Sale and Quintana for the members of this board. We fit the mold. We are all older, on the downsides of our careers, we have had some semblance of success in our careers, and we would be cheap.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I get what you're saying Frank. Don't get me wrong, my heart says keep Sale and Quintana but then my head says get the very best you can for them because otherwise they're going to die on the vine pitching for a franchise that's going nowhere fast. I think Sale's behavior this year might very well be that of someone fed up with this dog and pony show. Of course you're right, the pivotal character in all this is that fucking Kenny Williams but, let's face it, doesn't look like he's going anywhere so what other options have you?ad  If he stays it'll business as usual...same old shit different day. If he leaves then, yea ah, I want Sale and Quintana o a bn the team. Don't hold your breath.

At least if yoeu deal those two pitchers you'll be doing them a favor.
    I agree that you would be doing the pitchers  favor.
    But while it looks like we're stuck with Kenny, we have Sale & Quintana and a bad team.
    If Kenny decides to trade Sale & Quintana, we then will have a bad team WITHOUT Sale & Quintana!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 pm