Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

DEFEND THE CUP!!!!

Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

DEFEND THE CUP!!!!

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:39 am

BELIEVE!!!

SPANK!!!

This is HUGE!!

The Cup!!!

What a wonderful tradition!!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: DEFEND THE CUP!!!!

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:55 am

Meh...who cares?
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Only tradition in our little part of the cyber world that is connected to the Crosstown are your defend the cup posts. I'm pretty sure the rest of us don't give a damn about the whole thing. Not that you really do either.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:58 pm

TeleFrank wrote:Only tradition in our little part of the cyber world that is connected to the Crosstown are your defend the cup posts. I'm pretty sure the rest of us don't give a damn about the whole thing. Not that you really do either.

Does anyone in Chicago really care all that much anymore ?  When interleague play started there was some buzz about intercity play.  In LA they talked about the Freeway Series or in New York it was the Subway Series.   But now it doesn't matter hardly at all.  In LA, there is more excitement about the Red Sox coming to town than the Angels.

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:22 pm

TeleFrank wrote:Only tradition in our little part of the cyber world that is connected to the Crosstown are your defend the cup posts. I'm pretty sure the rest of us don't give a damn about the whole thing. Not that you really do either.

THE KARK CARES!!!!
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Chicago never cared, because we have both leagues coming into town anyway. If you really HAD to see the Cincinnati Reds You could do it.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm

TeleFrank wrote:Chicago never cared, because we have both leagues coming into town anyway. If you really HAD to see the Cincinnati Reds You could do it.

I remember just a couple of years ago how the Cub television network was all a twitter about how the Yankees were coming to Chicago. How was that any different from any other year that the Yankees came to Chicago? Not to mention when the most annoying fanbase made a trek in, the Red Sox.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:46 pm

alohafri wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:Chicago never cared, because we have both leagues coming into town anyway. If you really HAD to see the Cincinnati Reds You could do it.

I remember just a couple of years ago how the Cub television network was all a twitter about how the Yankees were coming to Chicago. How was that any different from any other year that the Yankees came to Chicago? Not to mention when the most annoying fanbase made a trek in, the Red Sox.

Same in LA. People could drive to Orange County to see the Angels play the Yankees or Red Sox anytime, but when those same teams come to Dodger Stadium, it's a big deal.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 pm

The Cup stays on the Southside! Spank!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Not sure how I'd have slept tonight without knowing the Sox kept it in their possession.

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:40 pm

alohafri wrote:The Cup stays on the Southside! Spank!
    Attended my first Cup Classic tonight and it was heart warming that the boys clinched the cup in my presence. Beautiful evening, sitting with friends and family, eating hot dogs and Beggars pizza. Life can't get better. Then big game James throws a gem (trade him now for 2 top prospects) and it got better. Amongst all this beauty, and even recalling the political animosity between us on this board, I realized that one constant in life remains- male Cub fans are the biggest douche nozzles in the world. 
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:21 am

Chi-kid wrote:
    Attended my first Cup Classic tonight and it was heart warming that the boys clinched the cup in my presence. Beautiful evening, sitting with friends and family, eating hot dogs and Beggars pizza. Life can't get better. Then big game James throws a gem (trade him now for 2 top prospects) and it got better. Amongst all this beauty, and even recalling the political animosity between us on this board, I realized that one constant in life remains- male Cub fans are the biggest douche nozzles in the world. 
    GREAT POST.

Will be at Shrine Thursday.  Hope Scissors Sale No Hits them.

I have always been of the opinion that there always has been that GIRLYMAN quality about a lot of Male Cub fans.  All of this idiotic emotion they display.  Lovable Loser Crusade.  Crying after huge losses when you are 35.

These people need to be sent to Iraq.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:03 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:

These people need to be sent to Iraq.

And a HUGE loss to most of them is some random game in May against the Marlins.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:50 am

Guess Arrieta may not be Bob Gibson or Tom Seaver.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:21 am

Chi-kid wrote:

Shields' career with the Sox so far has been truly weird.  First four starts, 13 innings, 24 runs (15.60 ERA).  Last six starts, 42 innings, 8 runs (1.71 ERA).  

Not his fault that the Sox lost three of those well-pitched games as they scored 0, 0 and 1 run in them. Which is an illustration of why the Shields acquisition wasn't the real solution to what ailed the Sox (shitty offense and bullpen that started leaking in May).  Even if Shields had pitched better in his first four games with the Sox, it wouldn't have mattered all that much - Sox might have gone 2-2 instead of 1-3.

Don't know that other teams would be inclined to believe the Shields revival story as the memories of his disasters in June are still fresh.  Although with the Padres picking up 1/2 his salary, "all" it would cost another team is $ 26 million to take on his remaining contract now and through 2018.   If the Sox eat       $ 8-10 million of that in a trade, they could at least shed a good chunk of payroll to use elsewhere in 2017-2018.  Pretty clear if the Sox finally do fire sale this year that a 35 year old pitcher won't be part of their future.

Although Shields could opt out after this year,seriously doubt he will even if he keeps pitching well.
    He's looking at a guaranteed $ 44 million from the Padres and Sox (or whomever Sox might trade him to) over the next two seasons and he would be hard-pressed at his age and recent checkered background to find a club willing to top that.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:32 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:Guess Arrieta may not be Bob Gibson or Tom Seaver.
    The guy has been a damn good pitcher since coming to the Cubs, but he's had a 6.14 ERA in his last five games,.  Which raises the question of whether advanced scouts have finally found something out about him that hitters can exploit.  Or if maybe he's nursing an injury.  Time will tell obviously but Cubs could be very disappointed if he can't figure out a way to right the ship by October.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:45 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

Shields' career with the Sox so far has been truly weird.  First four starts, 13 innings, 24 runs (15.60 ERA).  Last six starts, 42 innings, 8 runs (1.71 ERA).  

Not his fault that the Sox lost three of those well-pitched games as they scored 0, 0 and 1 run in them. Which is an illustration of why the Shields acquisition wasn't the real solution to what ailed the Sox (shitty offense and bullpen that started leaking in May).  Even if Shields had pitched better in his first four games with the Sox, it wouldn't have mattered all that much - Sox might have gone 2-2 instead of 1-3.

Don't know that other teams would be inclined to believe the Shields revival story as the memories of his disasters in June are still fresh.  Although with the Padres picking up 1/2 his salary, "all" it would cost another team is $ 26 million to take on his remaining contract now and through 2018.   If the Sox eat       $ 8-10 million of that in a trade, they could at least shed a good chunk of payroll to use elsewhere in 2017-2018.  Pretty clear if the Sox finally do fire sale this year that a 35 year old pitcher won't be part of their future.

Although Shields could opt out after this year,seriously doubt he will even if he keeps pitching well.
    He's looking at a guaranteed $ 44 million from the Padres and Sox (or whomever Sox might trade him to) over the next two seasons and he would be hard-pressed at his age and recent checkered background to find a club willing to top that.
    Shields is pitching his ass off to opt out of the contract and get the Hell away from the Sox.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:54 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

Shields is pitching his ass off to opt out of the contract and get the Hell away from the Sox.

Stop with the reality! You are ruining my spank!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:45 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:

He may be pitching to get traded to a REAL contender soon. But opting out is very unlikely. 32 year olds like Zach Greinke with 1.66 ERA's can successfully opt out.   35 year olds like Shields with 4.65 ERA's  would be fools to opt out of a guaranteed $ 45 million over the next two years.  Shields will still finish the year with a 4.00+ ERA even if he pitches 3.50 ball the rest of the way (which he won't). 
    Big Game JAmes is on a nice little run.  Sox should try to exploit that with a trading partner RIGHT NOW - cause he ain't opting out of anything.

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:16 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Shooters Buffet wrote:Guess Arrieta may not be Bob Gibson or Tom Seaver.
    The guy has been a damn good pitcher since coming to the Cubs, but he's had a 6.14 ERA in his last five games,.  Which raises the question of whether advanced scouts have finally found something out about him that hitters can exploit.  Or if maybe he's nursing an injury.  Time will tell obviously but Cubs could be very disappointed if he can't figure out a way to right the ship by October.

OR MAYBE ITS JUST A SLUMP OR DUMB LUCK

SHIT SOMETIMES DOES HAPPEN
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:20 pm

My crank is getting sore. Can I stop spanking yet?

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:34 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Shooters Buffet wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

Stop with the reality! You are ruining my spank!
    Apparently the numbers aren't as good as his record. His walk strike ratio is bad.
    I guess by stats. He's closer to his first 3 games than his last 6.
    Now would be great time to dump him if you can. Believe the review was by Paul Sullivan
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:41 am

Apparently the numbers aren't as good as his record. His walk strike ratio is bad.
    I guess by stats. He's closer to his first 3 games than his last 6.
    Now would be great time to dump him if you can. Believe the review was by Paul Sullivan  >>

You're right -some red flags still lurk behind his recent good stretch. He's K'ing only 4.5 per 9 innings, which is worse than his rate in his first four disasters with the Sox. However, he has tamed the BB's and HR's considerably and that has helped a lot. But so has luck. Allowing as much contact as he does makes a pitcher dependant on having balls hit right at fielders and/or fielders making incredible plays.  At some point that luck changes and more hits drop in. Particularly when he's still giving up too many line drives.  
    So yeah, agree Sox should try to trade him before his next start.  Some contenders may see him as decent enough for the # 4-5 spot in their rotation particularly if the Sox add some salary relief.  Sox could save $ 17-18 mil of the $ 26 mil they still owe by trading him now and maybe even get a B- prospect or two on this deal.

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:44 am

Shields for Seager...the Dodgers are desperate !!!!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 am

Chi-kid wrote:Shields for Seager...the Dodgers are desperate !!!!!

Dodgers need starting pitching and they won't blink at taking on salary.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm