Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

You'd think someone might notice

rmapasad
    Roof Shot

You'd think someone might notice

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Back in the 1960's there was an expression "don't trust anyone over the age of 30."   Sox could amend it to "don't trust anyone over the age of 31".
    Here's the hitters over last 6-7 years the Sox have gotten when they are 31 or older:   Rollins, Navarro, LaRoche, Soto, Keppinger, Fukodome, Wise, Dunn, Hudson, Youklis, Manny Ramirez, Ramon Castro, Kotsay, Pierre, Vizquel and Andruw Jones.   Of those 16 guys only  Jones and Castro have been helpful and only in part-time roles.  The rest have been busts, some fairly expensive (LaRoche, Dunn, Pierre, Keppinger).
    As to pitchers:  Shields, Miguel Gonzalez, Matt Albers, Downs, Belasario, Lindstrom, Frasor, Kinney, Ohman, Randy Williams, Duke, Linebrink, Putz, Freddy Garcia (in 2010).   Of those 14, only 2 (Duke and Putz) have managed to have ERA's below 3.50 in their Sox stint and they were relievers.
    So out of 30 guys who Sox acquired who were 31+ at the time, a mere 4 have been decent and all were in relatively minor roles.   Sure, to be completely fair the Sox have had some guys who they signed earlier who were decent past age 31 (Konerko, Pierzynski, Thornton, Buehrle, Rios, Alexei, Peavy).  Also fair to say that Konerko, Thorton, Alexei, Rios and Peavy hurt the Sox during their final years.
    Given the dismal record of over age 31 acquisitions, you'd think the Sox front office might have taken greater notice of the risks they were incurring with Big Game James.

Re: You'd think someone might notice

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:02 pm

Given the dismal record of over age 31 acquisitions, you'd think the Sox front office might have taken greater notice of the risks they were incurring with Big Game James.

I think the habit of giving up 10 runs by the 3rd inning might have caused greater notice than his age
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Given the dismal record of over age 31 acquisitions, you'd think the Sox front office might have taken greater notice of the risks they were incurring with Big Game James.

I think the habit of giving up 10 runs by the 3rd inning might have caused greater notice than his age

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have the winner of the Line of the Day!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Given the dismal record of over age 31 acquisitions, you'd think the Sox front office might have taken greater notice of the risks they were incurring with Big Game James.

Unfortunately it hadn't become a "habit" until he joined the Sox.  It was one start in 12 with the Pads.  That said, some scout should have been looking at the video of THAT one start a lot more closely to see WTF was going wrong. 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:15 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have the winner of the Line of the Day!

******************************************************************************

And it wasn't written by me. Damn! Oh well, I guess the Washington Generals have to win one every now and then I suppose.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Super Cooper will turn him around ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Super Cooper will turn him around !

Coop must have been on vacation these last 2 weeks.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:45 pm

rmapasad wrote:

Good line Sharpy. But all of this has to be viewed with age in mind. Chris Sale has one of these disasters (which he did last year) you can write it off as a bad night. A blowup for a guy 34 years old, whose velocity is down, who started to fade in June of last year and who is laboring to get guys out now presents one helluva lot bigger red flag. Bottom line: the Sox with their typical rose-colored glasses still thought they may see flashes of the 2014-early 2015 Shields and were willing to overlook the stark reality that Shields had become a mediocrity at best since June 2015. If their rose colored glasses let them overlook that, it's easy to see why they forgave the 10 run pasting.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 am

Beating the Red Sox in Boston always gets the FANBOY JUICES FLOWING!!!

How many seasons have we seen this?

If they beat the Cubs a few times, THE WORLD SERIES BUS leaves Shooters old Parking Lot!!!

BELIEVE!!!

THE SOX HAVE THE BIG MO!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:54 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:Beating the Red Sox in Boston always gets the FANBOY JUICES FLOWING!!!
    How many seasons have we seen this?
    If they beat the Cubs a few times, THE WORLD SERIES BUS leaves Shooters old Parking Lot!!!
    BELIEVE!!!

They've turned the corner ! Very Happy
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:34 am

I've still grown to hate this team but I gotta admit I've enjoyed the Boston series. Even if they lose today it was nice to see the team take care of business in Fenway. Too bad such moments are few and far between. Duke has pitched superbly out of the pen.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:48 am

Cream1953 wrote:I've still grown to hate this team but I gotta admit I've enjoyed the Boston series. Even if they lose today it was nice to see the team take care of business in Fenway. Too bad such moments are few and far between. Duke has pitched superbly out of the pen.

BELIEVE - Big Game James pitches today! flower
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:06 am

Yeah...I won't be able to tune in. Thank God for small favors.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:04 am

Cream1953 wrote:Yeah...I won't be able to tune in. Thank God for small favors.

Well, Walgreens has a sale on cod liver oil pills.  So, I could go there or watch the Sox game today.  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  It would be bad enough watching all the balls fly off the Boston bats without risking seeing "floaters" in the eyes. 
    I'll go for the cod liver oil...

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:43 am

Holy fuck....did they sign Mo Vaughn???

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:53 am

Chi-kid wrote:THE SOX HAVE THE BIG MO!!!

LOL, they're going to turn him into a pitcher to mop up after James Shields. affraid
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:14 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:THE SOX HAVE THE BIG MO!!!

LOL, they're going to turn him into a pitcher to mop up after James Shields. affraid

I found myself thinking that the Sox ought to activate some minor league scrub before each Shields game, who can come in and pitch for the final 7 innings and take an ass-pounding in order to save the rest of the bullpen for the other four starters.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:24 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:I've still grown to hate this team but I gotta admit I've enjoyed the Boston series. Even if they lose today it was nice to see the team take care of business in Fenway. Too bad such moments are few and far between. Duke has pitched superbly out of the pen.
    BELIEVE - Big Game James pitches today! flower

Yeah, this is a big game for James today.  Another shelling like he's gotten his last 4 times out and the Sox
    will discover some mysterious ailment to put him on the DL for a while. 

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Another shelling like he's gotten his last 4 times out and the Sox will discover some mysterious ailment to put him on the DL for a while. 

How do you spell "designated for assignment" out of DL?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 am