Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Our Childhood

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Our Childhood

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:01 am

Just a follow up to what John mentioned about losing another piece of our childhood with Gordie Howe's death. Isn't it the truth?

A couple of weeks ago I went to my 45th class reunion in the small town I grew up in. Went to the private party my former classmates put together. Had a GREAT time and renewed friendships with people I hadn't seen for at least 25 years (the last time I went)  and, in some cases, 45 years.

For all the fun and memories, it was also kind of a sad and melancholy occasion. Set up in the middle of one of the tables was a little constructed tree which had dangling from it's "branches" pictures of all of my former classmates who were no longer with us. My graduating class only had 92 kids in it...there were 16 small photographs hanging from the tree. I was struck by the fact there was only 76 of us left.

Damn...and we're all only in our early 60's. Talk about something that gives you pause. One of the girls which was gone just died 6 months ago...a former cheerleader. Ovarian cancer.

Yeah...the pieces of our childhood are slowly but certainly falling away.

On a lighter note, hey Nomads...drove right through Springfield on my way to Beardstown. Thought of you as I did. Also got stuck smack dab in the middle of downtown during rush hour because I was on the street next to the train station waiting 10 minutes for Amtrak to take care of its business! lol
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Re: Our Childhood

Post by Nomads44 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:38 am

Cream1953 wrote:
    On a lighter note, hey Nomads...drove right through Springfield on my way to Beardstown. Thought of you as I did. Also got stuck smack dab in the middle of downtown during rush hour because I was on the street next to the train station waiting 10 minutes for Amtrak to take care of its business! lol

Depending on the day, I may have been on the opposite side of the tracks waiting for the same train.

True that about diminishing numbers of classmates.  My 50th is this weekend and we had a class of only 29.  I think five and maybe six are gone.  Another had horrible PTSD from Vietnam and finally had to be committed.  A few I doubt I have seen in those 50 years.

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:40 am

Springfield?? Downtown?? Rush hour??
    What is this of which you speak??
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:47 am

Chi-kid wrote:Springfield?? Downtown?? Rush hour??
    What is this of which you speak??

Hey, those horse and buggies move pretty slow and stack things up.  And when a train stops in the heart of downtown?? OY!

Not to mention having to dodge piles of horse crap, or worse yet, having to constantly stop to clean off your windshield if someone is not successful dodging it. 

Don't dare leave your windows down in rush hour, either.

Ohio does not have these issues, Timmy?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 pm