Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Sox "Prepared to Make Big Move"

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Sox "Prepared to Make Big Move"

Post by rmapasad on Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 pm

WhiteSox GM Rick Hahn: "We're prepared to make a big move today. ... We're having dialogue right now hoping that something comes together." >>>>

HAve to wonder what the Sox can do nearly 2.5 months ahead of the trade deadline.  Hardly any team is willing to give up on the season this soon.  This year, however, Atlanta seems to be clearly out of it already.  Arguably Cincinnati, Minnesota and Milwaukee might be fairly soon if they don't start turning things around.  Realistically the Braves have little to offer the Sox.  Freeman (1b) and Markakis (RF) are their only two expensive veterans and the Sox aren't hurting at those positions. REst of their team are young guys they want to keep to rebuild.    Cincy might want to get rid of Votto (1b) or Bruce (RF) but same story as with the Braves.  
    Sox's biggest needs right now would be the starting rotation, bullpen, and possibly SS or a better hitting CAtcher or better hitting CFer.   Brewers have been rumored to be willing to peddle LuCroy and Twins probably would listen to offers for Ervin Santana.   LuCroy would take a lot from the Sox though (probably Fulmer plus another good prospect).  LuCroy would definitely be a "big move".   Santana would be reasonably big, and wouldn't require as much.  But the Twins may not be quite ready to wave the white flag, particularly if it means trading to a team in their own division. 

Re: Sox "Prepared to Make Big Move"

Post by Guest on Tue May 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Could be the Sox are actually moving - to Vegas, or Thillens stadium

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Perhaps shortstop Jose Reyes from Colorado. (I'm just guessing since he probably would come cheap.)
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue May 17, 2016 11:04 pm

rmapasad wrote:WhiteSox GM Rick Hahn: "We're prepared to make a big move today. ... We're having dialogue right now hoping that something comes together." >>>>

HAve to wonder what the Sox can do nearly 2.5 months ahead of the trade deadline.  Hardly any team is willing to give up on the season this soon.  This year, however, Atlanta seems to be clearly out of it already.  Arguably Cincinnati, Minnesota and Milwaukee might be fairly soon if they don't start turning things around.  Realistically the Braves have little to offer the Sox.  Freeman (1b) and Markakis (RF) are their only two expensive veterans and the Sox aren't hurting at those positions. REst of their team are young guys they want to keep to rebuild.    Cincy might want to get rid of Votto (1b) or Bruce (RF) but same story as with the Braves.  
    Sox's biggest needs right now would be the starting rotation, bullpen, and possibly SS or a better hitting CAtcher or better hitting CFer.   Brewers have been rumored to be willing to peddle LuCroy and Twins probably would listen to offers for Ervin Santana.   LuCroy would take a lot from the Sox though (probably Fulmer plus another good prospect).  LuCroy would definitely be a "big move".   Santana would be reasonably big, and wouldn't require as much.  But the Twins may not be quite ready to wave the white flag, particularly if it means trading to a team in their own division. 
    Can't measure the depth of the disappointment I'd feel if the big move is signing Lincecum.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue May 17, 2016 11:06 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Can't measure the depth of the disappointment I'd feel if the big move is signing Lincecum.

Hearing that ain't gonna happen, Jay.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed May 18, 2016 6:53 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Hearing that ain't gonna happen, Jay.

I thought it was a forgone conclusion that he was going to sign with the Angels.

And as far as Jay Bruce goes. Cincy can keep him. I'm done with those one-dimensional left handed power hitters from the National League.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed May 18, 2016 8:11 am

Are they sending out Playoff Invoices???
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed May 18, 2016 8:22 am

Are the Sox trading for Gordon Beckham?  He can concentrate on Power.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed May 18, 2016 9:43 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:Perhaps shortstop Jose Reyes from Colorado. (I'm just guessing since he probably would come cheap.)

Forgot about that one, and you might have hit on it, Mart..Reyes is owed $ 39 million starting from his re-instatement around June 1 this year through end of 2017, so he isn't cheap but the Rockies are going to have to eat a significant portion of that to get rid of him.   Question is how big of an upgrade he'd be at SS.  Reyes' defense, speed, and hitting all slipped last year to the point where he wasn't much better than Rollins.  Plus, he hasn't had a spring training so he may not be much of a help until the second half.  Sox will probably have to take on $ 13-14 million of that salary and I doubt that will be much of a bargain.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 am

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:Perhaps shortstop Jose Reyes from Colorado. (I'm just guessing since he probably would come cheap.)

Forgot about that one, and you might have hit on it, Mart..Reyes is owed $ 39 million starting from his re-instatement around June 1 this year through end of 2017, so he isn't cheap but the Rockies are going to have to eat a significant portion of that to get rid of him.   Question is how big of an upgrade he'd be at SS.  Reyes' defense, speed, and hitting all slipped last year to the point where he wasn't much better than Rollins.  Plus, he hasn't had a spring training so he may not be much of a help until the second half.  Sox will probably have to take on $ 13-14 million of that salary and I doubt that will be much of a bargain.

Reyes' contract also evidently has a $4 million buyout option for 2018.  He would be costly in terms of the money still owed him even if the Rockies pay around two-thirds of what remains.  Last season, he was plagued by injuries spending a lot of time on the DL with Toronto before being traded to Colorado.

Besides, he may not have the make up to be a good mentor. clown
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed May 18, 2016 10:02 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

Reyes' contract also evidently has a $4 million buyout option for 2018.  He would be costly in terms of the money still owed him even if the Rockies pay around two-thirds of what remains.  Last season, he was plagued by injuries spending a lot of time on the DL with Toronto before being traded to Colorado.

JUST CLASSIC, MARTY!!

The Sox have also lost their team leader in Drake LaRoche.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed May 18, 2016 10:03 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:

#DrakeStrong

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

JUST CLASSIC, MARTY!!

"It's a kid's game", Bobby, especially the way the Sox are playing lately.

Besides, Carlos Sanchez playing "mommy" in the dugout by cradling Eaton might cause Reyes to smack him around.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 am

Wonder if Drake can attend a FANBOY MEETING!!!!

He can talk about TEAM LEADERSHIP to the FANBOYS!!!

Post by Guest on Wed May 18, 2016 11:07 am

THE KARK DOESN'T LOOK FOR AN AUSTIN JACKSON REPLACEMENT

HIM AND EATON ARE GOLDEN IN THE OUTFIELD.  THE DEFENSIVE LOSS WOULD SIGNIFICANTLY OUTWEIGH ANY OFFENSIVE GAIN.

PREVENTING RUNS IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS SCORING THEM.

DON'T MESS WITH THE D.

WHICH MEANS ANY OFFENSIVE ADDITION CAN ONLY BE AT DH
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed May 18, 2016 11:18 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:THE KARK DOESN'T LOOK FOR AN AUSTIN JACKSON REPLACEMENT

HIM AND EATON ARE GOLDEN IN THE OUTFIELD.  THE DEFENSIVE LOSS WOULD SIGNIFICANTLY OUTWEIGH ANY OFFENSIVE GAIN.

PREVENTING RUNS IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS SCORING THEM.

DON'T MESS WITH THE D.

WHICH MEANS ANY OFFENSIVE ADDITION CAN ONLY BE AT DH

I have to agree with Sicko here. The Sox finally have a team where the defense is good. Any move should improve offense without hurting the defense.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm