Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Sox announcers

TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Sox announcers

Post by TeleFrank on Sun May 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Well, seems I was correct in my estimation of Chicago White Sox fans. 

When they announced the new guy I recall writing that Sox fans will start hating him soon. Now in the past over here in this corner of the internet the announcer hating was usually connected to the team performance. So after the usual complaints about management and the manager and me reminding you that it's always the fault of the Young Millionaires the talk would turn to how much the announcers were hated. But Sox fans are nothing but predictable to a point. Over on Facebook in the comments of the official Sox page there is a long discussion of how much they hate the new guy. The story they had posted was about the Saturday game which the Sox won. The most used insult was that he was calling the games as if he was working for ESPN. Which I'm taking to mean, he's not a homer. What makes all this amusing to me is that the Sox are doing well. So it seems that with nothing to complain about the baseball they've gone over management and manager directly to the announcer. Is there nothing this team can do to make their fans happy? 
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Re: Sox announcers

Post by Shooters Buffet on Sun May 08, 2016 4:49 pm

A homer as announcer is a Chicago birthright.  Leading cheers is far more important to the average Chicago Fan than any in depth discussion of the game itself.  Strategy, forget about it.

What the Internet has accomplished was to expose a lot of total ignorance in the entire society, not just the goofy species known as Chicago Sports Fan.

The SFOD FB Page is one of the mellowest pages going, with little or no stupidity such as mopes taking selfies at the game or posting their tattoos.

People on some pages were screaming to send Abreu to the minors the 2nd week of the season along with Garcia.  Frazier was a bust in week 2, too.

I left one board because posters were so stupid, I found NO JOY in ridiculing them!!!!

There comes a point where you stop worrying about FANS and just assume most are brain dead.  This is not exactly Sociology at the Graduate School level.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun May 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Shooters Buffet wrote:A homer as announcer is a Chicago birthright.  Leading cheers is far more important to the average Chicago Fan than any in depth discussion of the game itself.  Strategy, forget about it.

What the Internet has accomplished was to expose a lot of total ignorance in the entire society, not just the goofy species known as Chicago Sports Fan.

The SFOD FB Page is one of the mellowest pages going, with little or no stupidity such as mopes taking selfies at the game or posting their tattoos.

People on some pages were screaming to send Abreu to the minors the 2nd week of the season along with Garcia.  Frazier was a bust in week 2, too.

I left one board because posters were so stupid, I found NO JOY in ridiculing them!!!!

There comes a point where you stop worrying about FANS and just assume most are brain dead.  This is not exactly Sociology at the Graduate School level.

Oh my God, some of these people embarrass me as a Sox fan. They are already discussing who they want to play against in the World Series.

Post by Guest on Sun May 08, 2016 7:20 pm

I kinda like the new guy (and when then listening to Hawk the next game realized how I really dislike the "everything is a crisis" kind of announcing) ...and can even now stomach Stone, who, Frank, I disliked way before he joined the sox broadcast. The new guy is not a rah-rah guy, and not a homer for sure, but I think he has a rye sense of humor, is entertaining, feeds Stone well, and seems to know the game. Bob Elson needed a fire cracker up his butt to announce the Sox won the World Series, and he's a HOFer.  I think this guy will evolve and if the Sox actually DO win something, or a close game that MEANS something in a month other than April, I am hoping his excitement comes thru. Afterall, he DID grow up being a Sox fan, didn't he?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon May 09, 2016 7:50 am

Agree totally with this. For me, listening to the new guy just underscores how old and tired Hawk's routine is. I've probably been a Hawk defender more than most others on this board but now` I'm convinced it's time for him to be put out to pasture.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon May 09, 2016 8:21 am

Creamer, as you so adroitly point out, like Hawk, I can get under everyone's skin. As you posted around a year ago, I tell the TRUTH.

Hawk Harrelson morphed into a cartoon character.

He was great with Drysdale.

Stone IS a great analyst.  Hawk talks at him and over him.

I do not need a manic depressive lunatic announcing a damned ballgame.  I do not need constant scoreboard watching in May.

Hawk Harrelson does not sell tickets.

Harry Caray used to emphasize FUN at the ballpark.  Brickhouse emphasized Fun and enjoying the day at the ballpark.

The broadcasting style that makes every damned game a matter of life and death appeals to exactly whom?  Dim bulbs with NO LIFE.

This is supposed to be FUN.  Entertainment.

Harrelson has been busy dumbing down generations of Sox Fans now.

This has just been OBVIOUS.  Proof is in the pudding on various message boards.

Post by Guest on Mon May 09, 2016 10:05 am

Cream1953 wrote:Agree totally with this. For me, listening to the new guy just underscores how old and tired Hawk's routine is. I've probably been a Hawk defender more than most others on this board but now` I'm convinced it's time for him to be put out to pasture.

WELL I GUESS THE KARK WILL JUST GO STAND IN THE CORNER WITH DONALD TRUMP AND THE HAWK AND WAIT FOR THE DAY WE CAN ALL SAY I TOLD YOU SO.

FOR THE RECORD, ONLY HEARD ONE FULL GAME, BUT I DON'T FIND THE NEWBIE ANYWHERE NEAR AS ENTERTAINING AS THE HAWK.  STEVE STONE HAS ALWAYS BEEN WAY TO METRO FOR MY LIKING

SO GIVE THE KARK SOME LOUD AND PROUD HOMER TO LEAD THE CHEER ANYDAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS.

CARAY AND PIERSALL WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon May 09, 2016 10:11 am

Caray and Piersall were NOT homers.

Post by Guest on Mon May 09, 2016 1:43 pm

WHATEVER?!?!?!?!?

THEY WEREN'T CARDBOARD CUT OUTS WITH THAT VOICE THEY FORCE YOU TO SPEAK WITH AT BROADCASTING SCHOOL EITHER.

THIS CLOWN THEY HAVE NOW SOUNDS JUST LIKE A MILLION OTHER BOZOS DYING TO GET BEHIND THE MIKE.

GIVE ME A GOOD OLE STORY ABOUT YAZ OR MANTLE OVER SOX MATH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

PS, STEVE STONE SUCKS AS A BROADCASTER.  HE NEEDS A GUY LIKE HAWK TO LEAD HIM BY THE NOSE.  IF I DIDN'T KNOW BETTER, I'D SWEAR STONE WAS SOME PUSSIFIED ACCOUNTANT, NOT A FORMER CY YOUNG WINNER
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Mon May 09, 2016 4:19 pm

Shooters Buffet wrote:Caray and Piersall were NOT homers.
    No one was certifiably nuts and the other was a drunk. 

Carey was a homer. It's just that his style was nothing like anyone else of his era. Bob Elston Red Barber and Mel Allen were all smooth and had nice voices telling the game as a story to the listeners. Drunk had a gravelly voice and his stick was being one of the boys. He rarely showed the smoothness of his counterparts. But he did all the shilling required and was never really anti-team on air. He could be anti-player but never team. Obviously he wasn't a Reinsdorf/Einhorn fan and that's why he went north and turned into a cartoon version of himself. Bud man.

Piersall was a time delayed bomb waiting to go off. It went off. His stick was that he was "colorful". Notice he's not being colorful anymore anywhere. Unless he still has that Score gig. Not a smart man either. I'm told he was having carnal knowledge with a gal on the Ch. 44 crew. It stopped because he started bragging about it to the other members of the crew. She broke it off by breaking a bottle over his head. 

Every non-network announcer is a homer. They are hired to conduct a daily two to three hour commercial for the team. Team promotion is as much of their job as the seventh inning stretch is to the game. I cannot imagine any team letting someone hate their team on their teams broadcast. That's what the internet is for.    

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:09 am